Ken vs Ryu

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eleveninches
Who would win in this classic rivalry??

Arsenal
If Ryu was having a bad mood, he would win. Otherwise, he would just take it easy on him and it would be a draw.

jinzin
ryu,,,,they have the potential to be the same but since ryu trains harder and more frequently than the lazy american, he edges ken out. besides having a demon stalker/rival has gotta toughen ya up some.

Arsenal
Originally posted by jinzin
ryu,,,,they have the potential to be the same but since ryu trains harder and more frequently than the lazy american, he edges ken out. besides having a demon stalker/rival has gotta toughen ya up some.
True dat.

eleveninches
They are almost almost portrayed to be at the same level as each other

Arsenal
Oh you must mean the game, cuz in the anime Ryu is almost always portrayed as the greatest fighter on earth...period. (besides akuma)

jinzin
and Bison

Arsenal
and Bison
You know Ryu could take Bison whistle

eleveninches
Isn't Dark Ryu very similar to regular Akuma ????

So the SF charachters are ranked (in terms of fighting ability):

1.Akuma
2.Ryu
3.Bison
4.Sagat
5.Guile
6.Sagat

???
Is that right??

spetznaz

Agree.
But with one divergence.
I think that Ken is POTENTIALLY better than Ryu!
How?
Well, think about it. Ken was able, with just a little practice, to take the uppercut technique he was taught by Ryu and Gouken and invent a new style based on it called the shinryuken (the flaming uppercut) in honor of their former master Gouken (who met with some, erm, 'unfortunate' occurences).
Ken did this, something that Ryu has not as yet been able to replicate.
Thus, while Ryu is by a considerable margin the better fighter, there is some apparent evidence that if Ken dedicated himself the way Ryu does, that he would become the best.
Better than Ryu even.

But as of now Ryu would kick Ken from Hokaido island, Japan, to San Francisco, USA!
And then proceed to kick him again for the return journey!

jinzin
honsetly I don't think so. I mean if bison was actually trying the whole way through like he supposedly does when fighting akuma. I can't remember where i read, but akuma and bison are near equal strength levels.....while a super pissed off ryu would go terry bogard on both of their asses in a standard comic book fight, I think bison would edge him out.

jinzin
I don't think so, I mean if you wanna get technical ryu's true power supposedly resides in his dark persona. dark ryu vs any ken= total ass rapeage for ken.

Arsenal
Originally posted by spetznaz
Ken was able, with just a little practice, to take the uppercut technique he was taught by Ryu and Gouken and invent a new style based on it called the shinryuken (the flaming uppercut) in honor of their former master Gouken (who met with some, erm, 'unfortunate' occurences).
Ken's in alot of tournaments. Maybe he had to invent it to beat a strong opponent or something.

Arsenal
I don't think so, I mean if you wanna get technical ryu's true power supposedly resides in his dark persona. dark ryu vs any ken= total ass rapeage for ken.
Yeah. It'd be so bad that Chun-Li would have to call an ambulance.

jinzin
ambulance? why bother? might as well call the morgue.

Arsenal
Ryu must have it tough. I mean with Sagat wanting revenge, akuma wanting a real challenge, Bison's inner evil needing a stronger body, ken wanting to hang out.

jinzin
...chung li wanting his nuts.....yeah he's got it real tough

Arsenal
I think Ken wanting to hang out is depressing enough to block out Chun-Li wanting his nuts.

Lord Ryugen
Ryu is a better fighter than Ken and can perform techniques with the fireball and hurricane kick. Ken is outmatched. And if we're talking about Evil Ryu this isn't even a fight. It's a Ken spanking.

Lord Ryugen
Originally posted by Lord Ryugen
Ryu is a better fighter than Ken and can perform better techniques with the fireball and hurricane kick. Ken is outmatched. And if we're talking about Evil Ryu this isn't even a fight. It's a Ken spanking.

long pig
american bashing is so cool! lets all be as trendy as jizzy..
ryu used to own me with those crazy ass uppercuts...i loathe him for it so i pick ken

Lord Ryugen
Ken's actually worse for uppercuts..he can set you on fire with them.

long pig
i just remember ryu just using them nonstop....my dad owned a small arcade so i played it a lot so i remember.
i remember using the girl more than anyone due to her all around powers....well balanced.
cant remember her name as of now...she had the crazy super kick....the fireball and the "catch you in the air" thing...
drac has her for his sig.
who was the guy with the mask and the wolverine claws?
heh i have a horrible name recog.

Lord Ryugen
The girl was Chun-Li I' guessing and the dude with the mask is called Vega

long pig
you sir are correct. he wasnt very cool. with his fruity pony tail.
a pony tail is just a mullet in denial

Lord Ryugen
lol, no he was no cool at all, one of the best airborne figters in the game though

long pig
jumped off the side of the screen.
very very sweet.
chun lee did that as well tho

Lord Ryugen
Yeah but she couldn't jump as far. Not to mention Vega's kick is leathal in the air.

Banner
Originally posted by eleveninches

1.Akuma
2.Ryu
3.Bison
4.Sagat
5.Guile
6.Sagat

???
Is that right??

Not exactly. I think it's more like;

Tier 1
Oro, Gouki ( Akuma for you heathens ), Gill - the strongest three out of the SFer's. They outclass everyone. These guys are in the godly range. Oh, and SFA3 M. Bison probably goes here, too.

Tier 2
M. Bison, Sagat, Ryu, Satsui no Ryu (Evil Ryu), Q(hinted) - the next bunch

Tier 3
Ken, Gen, Rose, Charlie, Urien

Tier 4
Guile, Chun-Li, Hugo, Vega, Twelve (hinted)

Tier 5
Adon, Guy, Sakura, Cody, Balrog, Cammy, Zangief, Dhalsim, T Hawk, Alex

Tier 6
Everyone else but Tier 7 (things get really sloppy here, due to how most
characters below tier 5 do not have enough storyline info to tier on
noncircumstantial evidence). A pretty good guess, I think, would be this
(consider the rest of the characters in this tier and below to just be
hinted)

Tier 6
The Twelve Dolls, Rolento, Sodom, Karin, Birdie, Necro, Dudley

Tier 7
Blanka, Fei Long, Honda

Tier 8
Makoto, Ibuki, Elena, Yun, Yang

Tier 9
Dee Jay, R. Mika, Dan

Tier 10
Sean

Ken would get schooled by Ryu on a good or bad day regardless.

eleveninches
Ah, I forgot abou the SF3 gods.

jinzin
i didn't but i couldn't remember their names.

eleveninches
Where in the ranking are Akumas master (who he killed), and ryu/ken's master?

Banner
I would assume he'd be somewhere just below Ryu's current level. ( Street Fighter III, Third Strike ) Not entirely sure. I only assume this because Ryu's gotten MUCH stronger and he's now training with Oro -- the MOST powerful SFer. But I'd still put him in Tier 2.

black wolverine
this is hard ryu is stronger and ken is faster hmmmmm

demigawd
I'd put Gen much higher up on your list. He stalemated Akuma...and he was sick. He's at least tier 2, perhaps tier 1. I'd probably also put Dan below Sean.

Banner
That's only because Gouki was holding back his true power. In all truth if Gen fought Shin Gouki he most likely wouldn't have had a chance. Gouken was a WAY better fighter than Gen and he was murdered. Gen survived the Shun Goku Satsu once but again that was because he understood the mechanics of it not to mention it wasn't " Shin Gouki " he was fighting. Btw the list was used from the Street Fighter Plot Guide vs. 4.0 -- one of if not the most accurate SF guides known. I think the tier setting is fairly decent.

demigawd
True, but Gen deserves credit for doing what no one else has ever done before. He may not be AS powerful as Akuma, but he's certainly higher up than Ken, Rose and Charlie, and I'd say he's higher up than Sagat, and regular Ryu, too.

Banner
Agreed and he does deserve accolades for being one of the more inventive and intelligent fighters in the series. Not to mention the fact he survived an encounter with Gouki. But the fact of the matter is that Street Fighter's main theme focus' on Ryu and his rivals. For the most part anyway. Higher than Ken, Rose, Charlie -- yes. I agree with that. Higher than Sagat or Ryu? No. It doesn't matter much now anyway considering Gen dies in the series of leukemia, supposedly.

SarKastic_OJ
I think Ken and Ryu are basically equal as far as manuevers and mastering the Shotokan style goes...

But, Ryu hones his skills by fighting hungry, street fighters from the streets and seeks to fight an opponent "worthy" of his fist. Ken on the other hand fights henpicked opponents in a "rules and regulations" sort of atmosphere and slacks off on his training..

Ryu wins this one by an inch, an equal sparring fight, but in a kill or be killed atmosphere, Ryu would take this battle..Besides he faired way better in the Bison battle...

demigawd
Originally posted by Banner
Agreed and he does deserve accolades for being one of the more inventive and intelligent fighters in the series. Not to mention the fact he survived an encounter with Gouki. But the fact of the matter is that Street Fighter's main theme focus' on Ryu and his rivals. For the most part anyway. Higher than Ken, Rose, Charlie -- yes. I agree with that. Higher than Sagat or Ryu? No. It doesn't matter much now anyway considering Gen dies in the series of leukemia, supposedly.

I see what you're saying, but the list you posted is a power list, not an importance list. I don't believe that Sagat could beat Gen. I don't believe regular Ryu could beat him, either. They've never fought, which is unfortunate. Do you think Sagat could beat Gen?

Tron
Moving

Banner
Yes, I do. Sagat is one of the TOP fighters in the series beneath the " god-like " fighters such as ( Akuma to you. ) Gouki, Oro, Gill and ( M. Bison to you. ) Vega. He's even more skilled than Ryu who only defeated him due to a cheap shot. Gen is a powerful fighter and has great experience but Sagat has youth, strength, experience as well as sheer endurance. Let us not forget -- Gen is hindered by an illness throughout his run in the SF series. That would give Sagat an edge he could exploit. Not to mention Gen has a LOW power level in comparison to Sagat.

x_danny_x
Im a Ken fan but I have to admit that Ryu would win.

Ken goes off flirting with girls and fights street fights with not the best opponents!

I know Ken mature in the end and dedicated himself to fighting more but this is what Ryu has being doing all his life!

Plus Ryu is the star of the game, they will make him to find a way to defeat his opponents! Plus they made more powerful versions of Ryu such as Evil Ryu, there are no such other versions with Ken!

wolf biologist
I also think that ryu would win, he just has more detication. And who is oro? Also is shin akuma and akuma the same person? And who would win shin akuma or dark ryu?

AdventChild
i say dark ryu...and between ryu and ken it's a draw..... i mean it is a rivalry.....

SaTsuJiN
ryu has power and concentration, while ken has agility and spirit.. so in the end if they really fought like mad they could even eachother out (game wise).. but yeah.. if it were the anime ken would get pwnt by the dark hadou

Ketchuptome
Evil Ryu vs Violent Ken
Hmmm.Evil Ryu.V.Ken is Ken controlled by Bison.
Ryu is better.Even Ken said so.And Ken is 2 cocky.Ryu has respect and stuff.He would win.But akuma could beat both of them.LOL!!!!

wolf biologist
Yeah Akuma can beat both of them. Ha, ha, ha. He can even beat 2 evil ryu's and 2 violent ken's.

Ketchuptome
Yep..so so true

wolf biologist
Ryu can definitely defeat ken but I still think ken has more potential.

Ketchuptome
Why??

wolf biologist
Well because ken doesn't train that much as ryu does but he still mastered the shoryuken something ryu has not. So if ken trained as much as ryu does then I think he could beat him but as of now no way.

Ketchuptome
I still dont think Ken can beat him.Ken might have mastered Shoryken but Ryu masterde Hadouken,and i do believe it is stronger than shoryken.(scar on Sagat's chest is from hadouken)

wolf biologist
Yeah but I am talking about regular ken and ryu, and yes the hadoken is stronger then the shoryken but ryu tapped into his dark powers when he did this so you can't count that move.

Ketchuptome
He did????In the comic book he was in normal form

Banner
Originally posted by wolf biologist
I also think that ryu would win, he just has more detication. And who is oro? Also is shin akuma and akuma the same person? And who would win shin akuma or dark ryu?

Agreed. Ryu most certainly has more dedication to the perfection of his craft.

1.) You don't know Oro? He's from Street Fighter 3 and is the MOST power fighter in the world. ( Most likely even more powerful than Shin Gouki ) His power is so immense that he has to tie ONE hand behind his back with a mystic binding otherwise he might obliterate anyone he fights. He's definitely one's of SF's more creative characters.

2.) The difference between "Shin" Gouki and Gouki is fairly simple. Shin meaning " True " is Gouki at his full unfettered power. For the most part when Gouki fights his adversaries he holds back a GREAT portion of his power otherwise he might end the fights too quickly. So those he doesn't see fit or worthy of fighting -- he's normal every day Gouki. BUT when he finds someone of immense strength and power he unleashes his " True " strength. Hope that helps.

3.) In the Street Fighter Series there is no such thing as " Evil " Ryu or Dark Ryu. That was a concoction of Capcom of America. It was suppose to be a " What if " character in a way. The only time Ryu displayed the Satsu no Hadou was when he first fought Sagat and sucker punched him with the Shoryuken. But if there was an Evil Ryu, only speculating, he'd be considerably weaker than Shin Gouki.

CorderaMitchell
Ryu still has more potential than anyone in the sf universe.

SaTsuJiN
he has way more stunning power in the game too

CorderaMitchell
ken is actually considered a higher tier, but its the speed thing, and as we all know with advanced players or tourney players...........

regardless i like ryu's versatility so I know I cant go wrong on a new opponent, then i break out shin akuma.

SaTsuJiN
which game are we talking about.. I'm confused >_<

CorderaMitchell
I would go around the Capvs SNK or so.

dvampire
Originally posted by eleveninches

1.Akuma
2.Ryu
3.Bison
4.Sagat
5.Guile
6.Sagat

???
Is that right??

God Tier: Akuma, Gill, and Oro these beings are capable of destroying planets.

Tier 2: Ryu, Urien, Ken, M. Bison, and Sagat. smile

CorderaMitchell
I'm not sure he meant sf3 dvampire, haven't you customized your posts yet.

Hooverman
this isn't a contest ryu could whop ken no matter what

CorderaMitchell
yes, but not by far.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.