how to take care of a tarantula

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

belly_jeans349
hey i just got my second tarantula today, and i was wondering if you could tell me how i can tell how old it is? and does it need a sponge to absorb water to drink? someone told me itll just drink the fluids from the crickets and use it as water. i already found out that it was a female too so.....i just need those few questions answered

silver_tears
umm is it safe to own one if you don't know how to take care of it? confused

shaber
I know how I would take care of a tarantula - I'd stamp on it or throw it into the fire.

Tex
If its your 2nd, one would a assume that you knew how to take care of the 1st and applied the same knowledge towards the latter. blink

XIA
Originally posted by Tex
If its your 2nd, one would a assume that you knew how to take care of the 1st and applied the same knowledge towards the latter. blink
agreed roll eyes (sarcastic)

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by belly_jeans349
hey i just got my second tarantula today, and i was wondering if you could tell me how i can tell how old it is? and does it need a sponge to absorb water to drink? someone told me itll just drink the fluids from the crickets and use it as water. i already found out that it was a female too so.....i just need those few questions answered

Here is what you need.
!. heating lamp, and the right kind of bulb ...
2. You will need large crickets to feed them to.. only 2 or 3 at a time.. if you see crickets still then there don't give them anymore
3. you will need cotton to put into their water bowl.. otherwise they will drown themselfs... y
4. good size tank so they can move around freedly
5. bedding... maybe add some hiding places for them... and plants but becare what plants you put in... .

I think thats all i can think of .. any more questions ask me

SlipknoT
Originally posted by vaya_the_elf
Here is what you need.
!. heating lamp, and the right kind of bulb ...
2. You will need large crickets to feed them to.. only 2 or 3 at a time.. if you see crickets still then there don't give them anymore
3. you will need cotton to put into their water bowl.. otherwise they will drown themselfs... y
4. good size tank so they can move around freedly
5. bedding... maybe add some hiding places for them... and plants but becare what plants you put in... .

I think thats all i can think of .. any more questions ask me Depending on the species it may not need a heat lamp, and a 5-10 gallon tank will do.

belly_jeans349
its rose haired and my first one died at age of 2 so yes i did know how to take care of them, just i wanna make sure this one lasts longer erm

SlipknoT
Those ones are cool, Spiders in general dont have long life expectancies.

vaya_the_elf
You should read some books about them. Go to a library.

WindDancer
I heard Tarantulas are so big and chubby that if you drop them from your hands they get splatter.

Ignite
ok ur sooo brave!!
i cant even pick a teeny little....ahhhhhhhhh

and u own a huge hairy spider??? whooa

vaya_the_elf
There really not that bad

Ignite
probably not...
but spiders just...the scare me...
stupid fear..

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by WindDancer
I heard Tarantulas are so big and chubby that if you drop them from your hands they get splatter. ewww! sick

Darth Revan
Tarantulas IMO are less frightening than a lot of other spiders... Around here we have these things called hobo spiders that are 3 inches or so at the most but they're ****ing creepy... Maybe I'm weird, but I've always thought tarantulas seemed more like small mammals than spiders. Plus they're fuzzy and soft. love

Ignite
fuzzy and soft?....
omg.. i wish i culd see them like that...

SlipknoT
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Tarantulas IMO are less frightening than a lot of other spiders... Around here we have these things called hobo spiders that are 3 inches or so at the most but they're ****ing creepy... Maybe I'm weird, but I've always thought tarantulas seemed more like small mammals than spiders. Plus they're fuzzy and soft. love What do these hobo spiders look like?

Darth Revan
About 3 inches across, brownish, long legs, a little hairy... Plus it doesn't help that it can be really bad if you get bitten by one.

http://www.srv.net/~dkv/hobospider/index_files/malehob2.jpg

FeceMan
Check on the idiot. Did your last tarantula die or something? 'Cause, what with the already owning one and such, I would assume that you already knew how to care for a tarantula...

(By the way, 'idiot' is 'internet'...I just made a Freudian slip.)

belly_jeans349
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Those ones are cool, Spiders in general dont have long life expectancies.

tarantula males are 4-4.5 years in life expectancy and females are 10 years....arent i lucky i gotta female, thats why i wanna know how old she is. i got my older spider in the wild so it was probably im guessing already 6 years by its size. this one is bigger thats why im like " confused " .....they are very fun to carry to...anyways thats off topic to my reply to ur quote heh

eleveninches
sick

SCARY!!!

KILL IT!!!!

PLEASE KILL IT

belly_jeans349
why would i want to kill it!

vaya_the_elf
Originally posted by eleveninches
sick

SCARY!!!

KILL IT!!!!

PLEASE KILL IT

Don't kill them.

sad

MC Mike
That's tight man. Tarantulas are awesome. Google is your best resource I'd say... erm

Lemonade Whiz
Tarantulas, contrary to some people's belief of being scary death-bringing creatures, are actually not harmful (unless you work in a packaging department down in Brazil and you find one of them suckers resting in a bundle of bananas)

Check out a black widow sometime and ask yourself:

Which one is worse?

frau
Try looking at kingsnake.com they have a lot of info there. smile

shaber
Tarantulas IMO are less frightening than a lot of other spiders... Around here we have these things called hobo spiders that are 3 inches or so at the most but they're ****ing creepy... Maybe I'm weird, but I've always thought tarantulas seemed more like small mammals than spiders. Plus they're fuzzy and soft. love

Thst joke is most distasteful no expression

Linkalicious
just thinking about one of those bastards makes me pick my feet up off the ground *shivers*

spiders give me the heeby jeebies....

vaya_the_elf
another important think is you need to mist them

belly_jeans349
no dont mist them because if they are getting ready to shed then the mist will choke them in their old skin, thats how my old one died.

BackFire

I agree 100%. The fact that Tarantulas aren't difficult to keep track of make them less frightening then normal spiders.

I hate when I see a spider somewhere, then I go get a tissue to kill it with, and when I get back it's gone, but I know it's still around.

SlipknoT
Originally posted by BackFire
I agree 100%. The fact that Tarantulas aren't difficult to keep track of make them less frightening then normal spiders.

I hate when I see a spider somewhere, then I go get a tissue to kill it with, and when I get back it's gone, but I know it's still around. Im usually to much of a pussy to go within 3 feet of it

Darth Revan
Originally posted by BackFire

I hate when I see a spider somewhere, then I go get a tissue to kill it with, and when I get back it's gone, but I know it's still around.

My thoughts exactly.

BackFire
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Im usually to much of a pussy to go within 3 feet of it

I'll be honest...a lot of the time I'll yell for my mommy to come and kill it.

ChickinMeat
I must ask, what ever posesed you to get a tarantula over a cute fuzzy kitten or a cuddly dog?

whatever your into man, if there was a tarantula in my house, id buy a tent!

shockimebones
Have you ever held a tarantula? What did it feel like? Would you hold a tarantula again?

shaber
I wouldn't hold it I'd stamp on it.

Napalm
Scorpions are better

Linkalicious
just thinking about touching one of those hairy freaks makes my fingers curl up into a ball.

Lemonade Whiz
I hear you Link, if I saw a tarantula on the floor my first reaction would be to cringe in disgust then squish its body with my shoe.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by vaya_the_elf

3. you will need cotton to put into their water bowl.. otherwise they will drown themselfs...

I think thats all i can think of .. any more questions ask me

laughing aww holy shit, what a hard friggin life laughing I just picture the image of a large taratula, sprawled out dead in a water dish one quarter of its size laughing out loud

Linkalicious
Originally posted by Lemonade Whiz
I hear you Link, if I saw a tarantula on the floor my first reaction would be to cringe in disgust then squish its body with my shoe.

You know...

If it weren't for these sweet suede shoes, I'd probably kick the thing for distance.

You can't kick normal spiders, but tarantuals you can use for field goal practice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.