Do you think this country is racist? why or why not?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PeaveyROcker
the USA seems a little racist to me. i dont want to mess with anybodys opinion but this is what i think. i mean where i live i see all the black people hanging out with black people, all the mexicans hanging out with Mexicans, all the asians hanging out with asians, and all the americans hanging out with americans. this is what i see. i mean....sure somtimes groups get mixed. but i see each race hanging out with the same race where ever i go. i am not a racist but what do you think?

FeceMan
That's not racism. That's people of a similar background associating with one another, which is normal.

Arsenal
That'll happen in every country. All that matters is that the government ain't racist.

NicktheBassist
Originally posted by FeceMan
That's not racism. That's people of a similar background associating with one another, which is normal.

I agree, it is simply Human nature to group together with people that are similar to oneself. thats why people that have stuff in common tend to be friends. It isn't racism its instinct.

PeaveyROcker
Originally posted by Arsenal
That'll happen in every country. All that matters is that the government ain't racist.

true....oter wise people from all diffrent races would be in jail and killed in stuff. im glad our country isnt like that.

Darth Revan
But see... Black people and hispanic people aren't all that different from one another or from white people. They have different pigmentation in their skin, different hair, and are slightly more prone to cancer. It's not instinct to associate with people who look somewhat similar to you. Dogs, for example, don't seem to prefer the company of their own breed over others. I was raised to see no difference between people of different ethnicities, besides the obvious ones. Maybe that's unusual. To me what the first poster described is a form of racism.

And whoever said the government wasn't racist is wrong... Could be worse, but the police at least are really racist.

SlipknoT
Originally posted by PeaveyROcker
and all the americans hanging out with americans. so all the sudden the Asia, Mexican, and black people living here arent American?

PeaveyROcker
Originally posted by SlipknoT
so all the sudden the Asia, Mexican, and black people living here arent American?

no no no the are american i should have said cocasian people my bad

SaTsuJiN
the USA seems a little racist to me. i dont want to mess with anybodys opinion but this is what i think. i mean where i live i see all the black people hanging out with black people, all the mexicans hanging out with Mexicans, all the asians hanging out with asians, and all the americans hanging out with americans. this is what i see. i mean....sure somtimes groups get mixed. but i see each race hanging out with the same race where ever i go. i am not a racist but what do you think? people are racist, country is a large group of people.. so if you say USA is racist you're including everyone... which I find strange as we have all types of people from all walks of life here blink

Originally posted by SlipknoT
so all the sudden the Asia, Mexican, and black people living here arent American? not the illegal ones wink

Imperial_Samura
There are racist people in every country, but I don't think the US is made up of a majority of racists or anything. Granted, places like the Deep south are still portrayed like that, but on the whole the country isn't bad in that way...

Afro Cheese
That's not racism, it's basically normal. People of the same race often listen to the same music, eat the same food, live in the same neighborhoods, everyone is basically bound to end up acting like and hanging out with people who live in their immediate neighborhood, and a lot of neighborhoods in America aren't even as far as it comes to race. A lot of black people live in one place, a lot of spanish people live in another, and a lot of white people live in another.

I'm willing to bet there are a lot more racist places than America. Just the fact that we have so many different types of people and are around different types of people all the time makes us more likely to be accepting of those of other races.

Imaginary
Australia is pretty multicultural... and here everyone hangs out whoever they feel like. I always figured it was the same everywhere else blink

Cid
I always thought that way as well

Capt_Fantastic
Yes, this country is racist. It has been for a hundred, plus!, years, and it will be for a hundred plus more!

Just listen to those who live in the south. But!, you know what? The black people are just as racist, if not more so, than the white people are.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Imaginary
Australia is pretty multicultural... and here everyone hangs out whoever they feel like. I always figured it was the same everywhere else blink

you can wish in one hand and shit in the other...but, which will fill up first?

ragesRemorse
America holds no more racism than any other country. There may be more cases and situations of racism in America, but that is because America is a melting pot of many different races, heritages, and religions. no other country has as many diverse races and cultures that America holds. Also, the white against black issue is a problem that dates back many generations. The hate there is not so much racial, but instilled.

Cid
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
you can wish in one hand and shit in the other...but, which will fill up first?
WTF?? What the f**k? I don't get this saying. mad

Uber_God
Originally posted by Arsenal

Not every country.

I'd say because of our parents,grandparents,great-grandparents and so on we are taught to not be around them.

At my school you see everyone of all races hanging out.

Uber_God
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
no other country has as many diverse races and cultures that America holds.

come to australia

finti
try England.........................and I love how this country is refered to as USA due to the fact that this actually is an UK based board!!!!!!!!!!! big grin big grin

manny321
and Canada you morons. 20-25% are immigrants. You Americans proud yourselves on everything a little to much.
You know we accept 300,000 immigrants a year and you guys accept a million so by population we accept more. The Toronto area is one of the most diverse area in the world where over 50% of the people are not born in Canada. The city of Vancouver is a place where all groups come together however in Toronto people are still sort of sticking with their own groups. Even in our most "conservative like" province Alberta their are many immigrants. Damn it the whole North America was founded and developed by all immigrants of many years ago and of today.

5 years ago a whiteman said "says this is our country". Hah it was the natives you turd!

Linkalicious
Manny, before you go calling everyone morons, realize your piddly little country has a population smaller than Los Angeles...

Immigration is not the only way to have a multicultural population. We have generations of "immigrants" whose numbers dwarf your country's entire history.

Census 2000 data show that 700,000 to 800,000 new illegal aliens are settling in the U.S. each year.29 We agree with Arizona Senator McCain that this is an incorrect and low estimate.

http://www.theamericanresistance.com/ref/illegal_alien_numbers.html#illegalsEntering

This site is only considering information from 1990 to 2000. That was 5 years ago.

Clovie
the USA seems a little racist to me. i dont want to mess with anybodys opinion but this is what i think. i mean where i live i see all the black people hanging out with black people, all the mexicans hanging out with Mexicans, all the asians hanging out with asians, and all the americans hanging out with americans. this is what i see. i mean....sure somtimes groups get mixed. but i see each race hanging out with the same race where ever i go. i am not a racist but what do you think? it is called nationalism
racism would be when one group was having something against the rest.

and when ppl are keeping with similar to themselves it is just to make then feel better, or to be better understand

noteŁ it is onlz my opinion, and i'm not claiming to be right

Fire
the USA seems a little racist to me. i dont want to mess with anybodys opinion but this is what i think. i mean where i live i see all the black people hanging out with black people, all the mexicans hanging out with Mexicans, all the asians hanging out with asians, and all the americans hanging out with americans. this is what i see. i mean....sure somtimes groups get mixed. but i see each race hanging out with the same race where ever i go. i am not a racist but what do you think?

so the blacks, mexicans and asians aren't americans??? hmmm

Clovie
good point shocking

manny321
no iam saying that you guys aren't the only country with so many immigrants. We have many too compared to the population. I know you guys have a lot of illegal immigrants crossing the Mexican border. I am seen a few cross and i say border security is very bad at the Mexican border. Seriously speaking i think most of the American Midwest is racist in my experience through the US.
Very hostile people in Tennessee and people were okay in Texas though.

Clovie
Originally posted by manny321
no iam saying that you guys aren't the only country with so many immigrants. We have many too compared to the population. could you plz not call everyone around americans erm

WindDancer

Racism is everywhere kid. If you think Racism is confine to a single country and if a people think that there is no discrimination elsewhere then they are absolute idiots.

WindDancer
You Americans proud yourselves on everything a little to much.

And what do you call that thing you're doing?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Clovie
could you plz not call everyone around americans erm

I think when he says "you guys" in this context he just means "Americans" we are not meant by this yes

manny321
Racism is in Canada too but its gone down over the past ten years. I am a brown male and in the early 90d's i was targeted but i can't remember the last time i was discriminated against in recent years. Now its political suicide if you say racist stuff in Toronto.

Okay i wouldn't be very proud if millions of illegal immigrants enter our country. I am sorry, but the way people were talking, i thought they were saying America is the only place with immigrants and diverse culture. Misunderstanding???

Clovie
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think when he says "you guys" in this context he just means "Americans" we are not meant by this yes i guessed that
but it is as if he's been ignoring WHOLE rest of the world.
and it actually is racism.

Bardock42
Well the thread is aboot "This Country" so I don't feel insulted....we are on the good side here Clovie happy

Clovie
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well the thread is aboot "This Country" so I don't feel insulted....we are on the good side here Clovie happy indeed happy
not our problem

manny321
By the way Miami and Toronto are the most diverse cities in the whole world. I heard 150 different groups of people live in those cities. The Europeans countries have many immigrants as well. I heard there are 1 million Muslims in Holland and 3 million Muslims in Germany. UK has over million muslims and a million Indians. Canada has about 1.5 million south Asians (Pakistan,Sri lanka, India, Bangladesh and such). Can't forget Chinese immigrants everywhere and there about a million here. America has millions in all those groups.

So i think by the west by having so many immigrants i believe racism by the governments has gone down

finti
aint too sure what you really mean by brown

manny321
Born in Canada. Parents indian. Brown refers to most people from middle east and south asia.

Bardock42
Yeah we rock....berlin is the biggest community of turks beside of Istanbul....actually this is probably a lie....but it shows the idea yes
I like Turks they have the best fast food in germany

Clovie
when i was in berlin last time i was suprised there is some many infos/signs on the street written with arabic letters blink

Bardock42
I've never been to Berlin laughing

But we actually got a lot of turks even in cities like mine (70.000 people)

Clovie
i was once happy

my city is bigger than yours tongue10 (380.000)

Linkalicious
how big is your city in miles or kilometers?

The city I live in has a population of 196,000 and it's covers a 5 mile radius.

Clovie
blink
i have no idea... *goes to check*
surface: 147,5 km^2

and we have a castle happy

Linkalicious
woah! your city is like the size of the entire county i live in....

Clovie
why do i have a feeling you're making fun of me? cry

Linkalicious
I'm not making fun of you...I'm just pointing out that the city you live in must be huge...

Clovie
it is rather average confused

Julie
If you try to group all of america then no it isnot racist...small pockets of people here (and everywhere) will be though.

Overall, more "classism" than racism though there are ties b.t the two isms

manny321
true

PeaveyROcker
Originally posted by Julie
If you try to group all of america then no it isnot racist...small pockets of people here (and everywhere) will be though.

Overall, more "classism" than racism though there are ties b.t the two isms

yeah.....thats true but this was just one of the questions that i really want imput on from from people that live in all places of the country and even other countries and im really gald that people are replying.

LordFear
I think this country is very racist despite the general consensus in here.
The fact remains that states such as VT,WV RI and parts of CT and even NJ are very selective and don't allow Blacks amongst them.
I say this based on experience. It is what it is. People will tell themselves otherwise so they may sleep sounder at night but the fact remain the same.
You know that joke about " What do you call a black man with a PhD?
A ni**er. A lot of white folks believe that but won't admit to it.

Fishy
From what I have seen a lot of Racism comes from the groups that were actually discriminated against a few years ago. At least the most open form of racism comes from them and ignorant bastards. (in the US at least)

In the country I live, Racism is more something you joke about but nothing you are really serious about... Nobody i know is a real racist, only people from really small villages are apparently

manny321
there ae a few who are very racist becuase they are intolerant idiots in my country.

FeceMan
there ae a few who are very racist becuase they are intolerant idiots in my country.
Because racism equates to a limited intelligence (referring to g).

Darth Revan
Classism is the real issue.

lil bitchiness
Well considering that the black community makes 12- 14% of the entire population of America, but the percentage of black people on death row make 45%...hmmmm

FeceMan
"What is your least favorite race?"

I was asked this during Chemistry.

laughing

Well, if they weren't guilty...

lil bitchiness

Oh of course, minority of your population makes almost half of people on death row...but OH NO its not racist!

Darth Revan
"What is your least favorite race?"

I was asked this during Chemistry.

laughing

Oh, bullshit. There probably are more black criminals than white ones, but IMO this is due to the fact that many black people live in poor, urban communities where crime is both a fact of life and one of the easier ways to make money. However, that still wouldn't account for almost half the prisoners on death row being black, like lil b said.

But anyways... The police and justice system here are so racist it's ridiculous. Ever heard of Rodney King or Mumia Abu-Jamal?

Afro Cheese
Yeah this country is racist. I don't think everyone hates each other but I think the majority of people have at least some amount of racism in them. It's not necessarily "I hate you cause you're a different color," most of the time it's just people subconsciously expecting other races to live up to their stereotypes. I think that's true of most people in general though, it's not limited to America.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Oh, bullshit. There probably are more black criminals than white ones, but IMO this is due to the fact that many black people live in poor, urban communities where crime is both a fact of life and one of the easier ways to make money. However, that still wouldn't account for almost half the prisoners on death row being black, like lil b said.

But anyways... The police and justice system here are so racist it's ridiculous. Ever heard of Rodney King or Mumia Abu-Jamal?

The justice system seems to be more offended when a white person dies by a black person than other way around.

Black person is more likely to be persecuted and is more likely to be put to death than a white person who has commited the same crime.

But as Afro Cheese already said, its not necesseraly limited to America only.

MC Mike
Yes.

TrAnCeDuO
NO!

sorry i just felt it was necessary to end the stupid echo.

PVS
the world is racist. what kind of question is that?

Darth Revan
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
The justice system seems to be more offended when a white person dies by a black person than other way around.

Black person is more likely to be persecuted and is more likely to be put to death than a white person who has commited the same crime.

But as Afro Cheese already said, its not necesseraly limited to America only.

Black people are also more likely to be given bullshit trials, as was the case with Mumia.

KidRock
Black people are also more likely to be given bullshit trials, as was the case with Mumia.

White people are also more likely to get charged with racist crimes then blacks.

Thael

And whoever said the government wasn't racist is wrong... Could be worse, but the police at least are really racist.

yes

joeykangaroo
i personally think lota people in UK are racist...that i know of

joeykangaroo
less immigrants-racist or not?

Bardock42
We are pretty unracist over here....I hope sad

rubber dickie

america IS racist like a motherf*cker. what you described, though, is natural. i would rather hang out with somebody i can relate to in terms of culture, religion and upbringing rather than somebody who doesn't have an idea at all. it eliminates the whole extensive explanation why i eat what i eat, believe what i believe or do the things that i do.

FeceMan
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Oh of course, minority of your population makes almost half of people on death row...but OH NO its not racist!
If by 'racist' you mean 'putting the felons where they belong', then YES, America is racist.

Hell, let's all be racist then.

(Just for the sake of argument...)

BackFire
I'm an equal opportunity racist, meaning I hate everyone, regaurdless of race.

That said, racism is not a part of any country in particular, but the world in general.

KidRock
Around here it is mostly black on white racism.

Darth Revan
If by 'racist' you mean 'putting the felons where they belong', then YES, America is racist.

Hell, let's all be racist then.

(Just for the sake of argument...)

http://www.freemumia.org/intro.html

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=04/03/04/4592554

http://www.leonardpeltier.org/leonard.html

Only one of the three was given the death sentance, but the other two are still interesting.

WickedTexasMomA
I don't know about my country, I am some what.But then again I get sick when I see gay guys grabing one another and making out in public.

Darth Revan
no expression

*SpunkiE*
One of my friends is going back to her home country because people are being so racist and absolute d!ckheads. I havent seen it happen to her, but if i did i'd kick their @sses...

But anyway, my friends at school are a mix of Sri lankan, filipino, australian, turkish, chinese and chilean peeps. So where i am racism is not as bad as other places around.

I dont understand why people are racist, i mean, everybody's different, so deal with it. There is no need to be hatin somebody with a different kind of look and/or culture.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.