Dragostea Din Tei

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

donferret
I Found this. I don't know if this Board has seen it yet.
--------------------------------------------------------
Author: * Tanaquil Sergius - 3 Posts on this thread out of 1,117 Posts sitewide.
Date: Aug 13, 2004 - 09:46
Romanian, as the name of the language already points out, is a language with a fair Latin language heritance. Hearing Romanian for the first time, one might think that this is some kind of twisted Italian, but it isn't. The careful listener will hear a good deal of Slav words and accents as well. By the way, Romanian contains a lot of words directly derived from Latin, since the Romans managed to dwell there for quite a few centuries, but most of the grammar items have been developed into new words or another way of pronunciation and writing.
To illustrate this, I would like to introduce to you the text of a song which is quite popular nowadays, not only in Romania, but in all of Europe (Romania has recently been welcomed into the European Union): the song is called "Dragostea Din Tei" and although it sounds like some kind of fast disco song, it is in fact a love song. It is featured in the hit parade twice, performed by the Moldavian group O-Zone and the Romanian singers Haiducii. Here's the text and a translation attempt:
translation attempt:
Ma-ia-hi etc.: yell of joy, would like to know how this can properly be translated into English, maybe, "Yahooooo!" will do, Romanians among us?
Chorus:
You want to please me, but don't want to take me with you, with you, with you, etc.
Your face and love under the lime blossom tree
remind me of your eyes

Hi, good day, it is I, a Robin Hood
and I ask you, my love, to show off happiness.
Hi, hi, it's I, Picasso,
I am the one that beeped (or: sms'd) you, and I am the one who brings you luck,
but mind you, I won't ask anything in return.

Chorus

I call you to tell you about the feeling within me,
Hi, my love, it is I, the one who bring you luck,
Hi, hi, it's still I, Picasso,
I am the one that beeped you on your cell phone, your love hero,
but mind you, I won't ask anything in return.

Chorus (twice)

Ma-ia-hi etc. (4 times)

Chorus

In another post, I will make some etymological comparisons between words in the song and Latin. I would like to ask any Romanian member to take a look at this translation and please correct it if needed. Thanks!
Tanaquil

dizzyblondegirl
interesting

misha
blink

Clovie
i know this song...
so? blink

*Danii*
They played that song nonstop on the music channel when i was on a school trip to Paris

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.