Human Cyborg a Reality

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
have we finally crossed the threshold and created a genuine cyborg?
a couple of weeks back i posted an article about a thought controlled robotic arm, which was wired to an ape's brain, allowing the ape to control the arm with it's thoughts. well, this is the story of a paralyzed man who opted to have this done to him, except he can move a robotic arm and do far more:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4533546

(Morning Edition, March 14, 2005)
Scientists make it possible for quadriplegics to control a television, play simple computer games and check e-mail... by just thinking about it. Commentator David Ewing Duncan contemplates the age of the neuro-cyborg.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its just surreal if you ask me. until now i thought this was in the realm of science fiction. so how far can we go with this...how far should we go with this?

Imperial_Samura
It really is remarkable, and even surprising, how once things like this go main stream the science really seems to speed up. I think it is a good thing really, cybernetics and robotics, alone and utilised in the medical industry could really open up a lot of areas, and be extremely useful in aiding in rehabilitation, making life easier, maybe even eventually improving the quality of life. I am all for it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.