Why Obi-Wan doesnt "seem to remember having any droids"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bwill00
Why

smoker4
Cause he never had any apart from R4

bwill00
he still knew r2 and three cpo

smoker4
There are millions of protocol and astromech droids in the SW universe plus he's a lot older too wink

bwill00
anakin~ ive gotr2 watching her dont worry i can sense everything thats going on in there

bwill00
ok he knows just R2

smoker4
I cant remember every person called steve ive met in my life

bwill00
ur right im just bored and i have nothing to do so i put up this pointless thread

smoker4
Well at least you're honest laughing out loud

Cascador
Originally posted by smoker4
Well at least you're honest laughing out loud

true, besides...he couldn't tell luke he knew them...otherwise Luke would come up with questions he couldn't answer...yet.

bwill00
to cascador you listen

bwill00
i mean c3po he didnt really know but R2 yes

smoker4
Hmm maybe but there are a lot of R2 units knocking about

Cascador

bwill00
?

bwill00
R2 is Anakin's droid so he must have recognized him and R2 and 3po belonged to princess Leia

bwill00
bail rocks

Cascador
no...R2 is Amidala's droid. Anakin was allowed to use it for his starfighter. But you can't tell if Obi-Wan recognized it was the same R2-unit from Anakin. But when Obi-Wan saw Leia's message he looks back at R2 and than he could have known it is the same droid. There are also a lot of protocol droids. If it was the same, he couldn't know, or maybe he did, it still stays a big coincidence. But my guess is, that he recognized them, but what could he say to Luke...that they also belonged to his parents? Would raise a lot of questions. R2 could keep secrets, Threepio not, that is why his memory gets erased.

The Ones
^ just what i was going to say

Dart Saber
I think they did a memory wipe on Obi Wan smile

Echuu
alzeimers(sp?) can happen to many jedi in the galaxy far far away

Tyus
Agree Cascador. Really shows the grand scale of Lucas' story arc by just filming that shot of Alec Guiness looking back at R2 as Leia's message was playing. It wouldn't mean anything out of context, but in light of the prequels, it was just perfect foreshadowing.

Gundark
I don't think R4 is Kenobi's 'own' droid - it was probably just the one that got stuck in that socket on that ship on that particular day. No ?

oddjob02
Both Obi-Wan and Anakin had R4 units in the clone wars, different last indentification number/letters, Anakin lost his R4 unit at Yavin 4 and maybe thats why he uses R2-D2 at the Battle of Courscant, becuase some one was right ealier, neither Obi-Wan or Anakin ever truly owned R2-D2

Cascador
It's not canon that Anakin had an R4 during the clone wars...I think they just used him in the animation cause they couldn't afford to loose R2 during the fight on yavin 4.

oddjob02
maybe so , but it seems like all the jedi fighters had an R$ unist of srts, so by the show and simple reasoning you'd think Anakin would be assigned such a driod, and we know R2 was assigned to Padme along with C-3PO, so it thats why i think both Anakin and Obi-Wan never owned R2-D2, in my own opinion

Cascador
actually...R4 is not completely an R4...It's an R4 modified. Cause R4's have different domes, different shapes. It's an R4 with the dome of an R2. So my guess is if you really want to follow expanded universe...most jedi starfighters had R2 units not R4's...you just have to know what you think is canon and what is not.

peluffo
When is 3po "assigned" to padme? Anakin builds 3po, then he retrieves it when he goes to tatooine.. and then 3po stays with both of them... c3po isn't really "assigned" to padme... I think that anakin leave the droids with her because he, as a jedi, cannot have any property.

ArthasKnight
Actually, Obi-Wan says "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid." So yes he knew of C-3P0 and R2-D2 but he never owned them. Luke just offhandedly says "oh, so the droid does belong to you." but Kenobi was just proving Luke wrong.

wallalupp
yes AK and did obi-wan tell luke who his father was?
if he could keep that secret, i guess he could keep the fact that he knew R2 and 3po a secret too

JKozzy
It's because he's old.

Stunrun
and senilestick out tongue

Cascador
In the visual dictionary:
(more about the droids' memory, than obi-wan's)

R2-D2's talent for for never revealing more than he has to may be due to Anakin's modifications (this prooves that his memory is not wiped)

After his memory wipe C-3PO believes he first worked with binary load-lifter droids

Phoenix2001
that's pretty funny ^^^

Gundark
Its all from that 'certain point of view'.........

Sadako of Girth
Obi said he couldn't recall ever 'owning' a droid.... I believe its true...
All of the droids he works with are like components of the fighters he uses and stuff.... But not neccesarily owns.... Is the way I read it....

Captain REX
Originally posted by Gundark
I don't think R4 is Kenobi's 'own' droid - it was probably just the one that got stuck in that socket on that ship on that particular day. No ?

Standard issue starfighter droid? wink

((The_Anomaly))
he said "i dont seem to remember OWNING any droids" because he didn't. Jedi are not allowed to have any Possessions...remember, thats why he did not remember owning any droids, because he couldent own anything, its against the jedi code to do so.

carnage04
I honestly think he was"joking" with R2. Both of them knew each other and what the deal was. R2's response may have been something like "Damnit old man, I had to tell them you were my property so I could get here. Better story than YOU would have come up with." or another crabby/clever R2 retort. Similar to the Yoda/R2 thing with the flashlight on Degobah. If it was just some creepy green swamp dweller, when Yoda started hitting R2, out would have come his tazer (A La S. Crumb in ROTJ.)

Granted, R2 is a droid and I'm applying a lot of personality and reasoning to a character we couldn't understand when he spoke, but his actions and beep tones really gave R2 a deep personality.

Carnage

((The_Anomaly))
well....i mean, how are you supposed to recognize a astro droid anyways, R2 was a blue atro droid, im pretty sure theres more then 1 blue astro droid. i mean, they all look exactly the same. he wouldent remember it untill he saw the message from leia. then he might have an idea. cause i dont think luke says R2-D2 to obi wan. i believe he says "little droid". so there is really no way that obi wan would just "think" its the same R2 droid.

eleveninches
Originally posted by bwill00
Why He says he never 'ONWED' any droids. He didnt own R2 or c3po

kanis
alien A lot happened in the clone wars and when he went into hiding to look after Luke he forgot about the droids because the droids weren't his in the first place, anyway they say artoo and threepio get their minds wiped and replaced after anakin becomes DV.

Darth Subjekt
lets face it, its just another one of his bold faced lies. Just like "a certain point of view." Ob1 is a liar and hope he dies from gonorrhea.

smoker4
Dark side gonorrhea noooooooooooooooooooooo.......

Telemicus
Originally posted by eleveninches
He says he never 'ONWED' any droids. He didnt own R2 or c3po

Beat me too it.

Get the quote right.

Why does Darth Vader say ....."I am your mother"? What the f**k?

xforce
I think Obi's playing Luke, just as Yoda does in TESB.

R2 showing up on Tatooine is no coincidence, but a sign for Obi that it's time to train Luke and take on the Sith.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
lets face it, its just another one of his bold faced lies. Just like "a certain point of view." Ob1 is a liar and hope he dies from gonorrhea.

laughing

Darth Subjekt
I heard that only C3PO gets his memory erased because R2 can "keep a secret"....whatever.....but anyway, wouldn't R2 recognize Yoda? I mean just cause we don't see them together(or at least haven't yet) doesn't mean they're not together. Whatevz, all the Jedi are lying sacks of wookie's nut sweat. They got what was coming to them. OB1 remembered the droids. How are you gonna forget the first gay, gold droid in existence? He just wasn't done formulating his lies yet.

Cascador
I've posted it before...R2 is good in keeping secrets due to Anakin's modifications...saw it in the visual dictionary

jango fatt
Which one?

dwizard
Ok simple... Obi Wan knows that C3PO's memory was erased and kind of elbows R2D2 about not knowing the droids. Look at his expression when he says "i dont ever remember owning any droids before"

He looks at R2 that way because he was supposed to not remember Obi Wan.... R2 in episode 3 will escape from his mind being wiped.... SWWEEEEEETTTT.....

darthmaul1
He never owened them, and how many droids out there look the the 2 of them??? lots, just because you see a red focus does not mean if you see another one a year later it is the same one.
he does not realize it is the same droid till R2 plays the message.
I think they only wipe c3po's memory and not r2's

dwizard
Another point to make is he was unfinished and Silver when he worked for OWENS FATHER not Owen.

Remember Owen and Beru were kids when C3p0 worked for them. He was also silver and unfinished which made him a very simple droid. When Owen finally got him the protocal droid didnt talk to Owen that much except for the whole Bachi and moisure evaporator discussion which can also fit in because he worked on that farm but just dosent know it was that particular farm with the memory erase.

im_back_haha
maby he got amniesa? lol i donno

guiro72
when obi says "hello my little friend" etc. it seems very personal....just too boring to explain to luke....he could have said "yes, i didn't own these droids, but someone i knew did. I had one that was kind of similar, only red, and it didn't have a body, just a head, and it sat in my jedi fighter" etc. etc.....but it was just too boring to explain...as, indeed, it is now...

lucasfilm
HE'S OOLLDDD!!!!
CUT HIS SOME SLACK!!!

NoFate007
1. He never owned any of those droids, so he's right.
2. He says that cause its just another shield of the truth for Luke.
3. Plot error by Lucas.
4. Because Kenobi felt like saying it at the time.

bilb
Originally posted by Gundark
Its all from that 'certain point of view'.........

yes yes yes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.