Do you think ROTS will gross higher than Return of the King?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Shmedi
I think there is a deffinate possibility. I predict it may have a higher opening-day gross. Then again ROTK is the second highest grossing movie of all time, so that's a saying a lot that ROTS will out-gross ROTK.

Do you think Revenge of the Sith will take in more money on opening day than Return of the King did? Or gross higher period? Or not even close?

Velcro_Boy
it will probably get higher first day. but the rest depends on if its a good movie. if peaple tell there freinds it was a good movie then more people will see it.

LightSaber_Part
Ya, probably will have a higher opening gross.
BUT it wont pass ROTK, or at lest Oscar wise big grin

WindDancer
Why does #4 looks sooooo appeling to me? stick out tongue

Captain REX
I think it will pass up ROTK. This has been wildly anticipated, and I hear more excitement from people about this than about the Lord of the Rings' debut...

Sadako of Girth
I reckon it'll do it, even if it's just 'cause of the prices at cinemas being way more then back then..... But toe-to-toe.... There are more generations of fans around these days so it has a chance of doing it on merit...

smoker4
Heres hoping, also most peeps ive spoke to are gonna see it at least twice

bilb
I really couldnt care less. The fewer # of people who go see it means bette seats in the theatre & possible faster DVD turnaround time.. So I say lets hope it only makes 5 million TOTAL!!

Captain REX
Very true...

Sith Master X
I think it'll crush Lord of the Stinks.

((The_Anomaly))
i doubt it, with the public opinion about the first 2 movies, i dont think it will make near as much as ROTK to be honest. other then the die hard fans most people have "lost hope" with the new trilogy. (even tho there all stupid cause Eps 1 and 2 ruled, espicially 2) anyways, i think the general public opinon about starwars is not so good right now, and to be honest im not even sure if Vader being in the picture will egnite enough public responce to out-money-make LOTR

Padmé Amidala
Hard to tell, cause alot of book types and old folk when to see ROTK also. But ROTS will certainly be the biggest film of the year

LightSaber_Part
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
i doubt it, with the public opinion about the first 2 movies, i dont think it will make near as much as ROTK to be honest. other then the die hard fans most people have "lost hope" with the new trilogy. (even tho there all stupid cause Eps 1 and 2 ruled, espicially 2) anyways, i think the general public opinon about starwars is not so good right now, and to be honest im not even sure if Vader being in the picture will egnite enough public responce to out-money-make LOTR

Rightly said smile

((The_Anomaly))
thank you, but its true, if ROTS out grosses ROTK then i will be extremly suprised

fezster
not a chance...dont get me wrong i am a diehard star wars fan but lets be realistic here...Lord of the Rings had the momentum of the first and second films being both a commercial AND critical success. Everyone who had seen the first two LOTR films would have seen the third one almost definitely because they were not dissappointed with the first two instalments. However, with the Star Wars prequels, I dont believe that is the case.

DCLXVI
Perhaps.
We will see. wink

PVS
you've got to be kidding me...

f*** RotK. ep3 will do far more than gross higher. it will BURY RotK.

watch

thejeditraitor
impossible to see ... the future is.

Padmé Amidala
Lucas seems to be convinced that ROTS will do worse out of all the Star Wars films lol Somehow I dont think so lol

((The_Anomaly))
fezster is correct, and its what i said, the public does not like Star Wars at the moment. the public's unhappiness with the first 2 creates more of a "meh, im sure he'll screw this one up too" kind of thought. ROTS out grossing ROTK, wont happen, sorry guys...

Padmé Amidala
Dont under estimate! Alot of non-star wars fans went to see Episode I simply because they saw it as "The First Star Wars film". Alot of people I know said that..... And the fact that this is the last one..... May encourage the same response

((The_Anomaly))
lol, enough to beat the biggest trilogy since the original star wars trilogy? i don't think so...

Padmé Amidala
You think that LOTRs trilogy will do better than the prequel SW trilogy?

The Lord of the Rings trilogy took in around $1,030,000,000 this is an average.
Episodes 1 and 2 have made $741,000,000, again an average--- so ROTS only has to make more than $290,000,000 to make this trilogy over-take LOTRs trilogy----- and yes, it will

Cascador

Sith Master X
With the return of Darth Vader I'm sure this one will do better than Episode's 1 and 2 at the box office.

Padmé Amidala
Hmm, I dont think it will do better than Episode I to be realistic, but it should do better than Episode II which made over $310,000,000 or at very least equal it

fezster

Sith Master X
Maybe you're right, but I got a strong feeling about Episode 3 doing the best. smile Time shall tell.

Cascador
I don't know...when ep I came out...people expected a star wars movie but were given a kids movie, they couldn't expect that. But now it's all over the news that this could get a PG-13 rating. That will attract the people and give hope that it's a real Star Wars movie this time. Not a kid or sound of music movie.

lil bitchiness
- SMX your siggy is beyond any sexiness.

- I hope ROTS outdoes the ROTK - this is the full circle of the best known and loved saga ever - it will possibly be bigger - and if not - it will forever remain a classic no matter what.

DCLXVI
Best said by Lil B. wink
I was alot happier with how the LotR Trilogy turned out, though....much more so than the SW Trilogy....
But I wouldn't call it "the best known and lover saga ever"....wink

But does how much money it make in the BO really matter?
What matters most is that any true SW fan will love RotS. wink

Julie
the answer is in our hands....go buy 30 tickets and do your part

DeVi| D0do
The general public is fed up with Star Wars at the moment... there's no way it will out-gross ROTK

prod_
Maybe...but I think not...but it is a possiblity!

Julie
fed up with starwars....eeek.....
statement: then we must educated them!

darthmonkey9206
i doubt rots will, but there is always a possibility

Insomnia
I read the title as "Lion King"

Damn.

...Can I revote?

Darth_Nefarus
This film has the birth of Darth Vader, argueably the best villain in cinematic history. People have been waiting nearly 30 years to see this, if it doesn't blow Return of the King away, may God strike me down.

JKozzy
ROTJ, ROTK, ROTS. wacko

unno
I can't speak for the revenues, but I'm positive ROTS will be a better film. Hell, a three-hour long blank screen would be a better film than ROTK.

Unno

southtownbluz
Okay, I've got to get in on this.

First of all, I think it's totally unfair to compare the success of Episode 3 to ROTK. Primarily because the new Star Wars series is a sequel (more than a prequel and I'll tell you why. We're backwardsly judging it as a sequel, so we expect it to be as good, if not better than the orginal trilogy. Our judgement is based on pre-existing plot points and style. The prequels totally break the tradition, taking the story to an earlier state. Stylization is there, but plots and characters spawn from an almost sterile state. I think GL was actually brilliant in this since he started a galaxy in that way. We really can't judge that way correctly, simply because we haven't been trained in movie history to watch prequel films.)

Anyways, the LOTR series has no existing cinema history to judge it against, and i'm speaking specifically LOTR, not cinema history altogether. In lamen terms, it's the first of its kind and was judged accordingly. If a new Lord of the Rings trilogy were to be released, it would be just as critic-slammed as Eps 1-3, because all of the original LOTR fans will be judging it based on the original Peter Jackson works.

Now, God forbid, Peter Jackson decides to wait 30 years to do the next and then goes off and tells the tale of Bilbo Baggins, which I think was the Hobbit. You tell me if he'll be able to maintain a loyal fanbase after the totality of LOTR is mutated and changed due to current films and public opinion and criticism. It's just almost definite that a LOT of the fans will be disappointed. Our younger viewers will have new movies and new effects and will be judging it accordingly, so it will fall into the same thing as Ep 1-3.

So, moving along. You have to give GL credit for maintaining what he feels to be authentic Star Wars; not changing due to public opinion and keeping it faithful to his earlier work.

The world has changed and movies with it and you gotta respect his "bullheadedness" to keeping his films his films and staying true to that. What else could you ask for? If nothing else, i'm comfortable that Episodes 1-3 are AUTHENTIC STAR WARS and not some overly-hyped Hollywood studio crap. Bar none.

It also brings up another point. Someone mentioned that the only people still faithful to the series are the die hard fans. DUH!! There are people who are diehard fans of the LOTR series (myself included) If 30 years past and Peter Jackson did a new trilogy and stated he would FUND IT HIMSELF and keep it true to HIS definitive vision, i would respect that. There's also the point that Peter Jackson is using a pre-existing work, which makes his job a LOT LESS HARD than Lucas', where the entire bulk of the project relies solely on him. That's in a literary sense, a directing sense and just about everything else.

Let's judge all of these things and take them into consideration when making our opinions and we'll find that in essence, those that are hating on the new prequels are simply expecting too much.

Star Wars isn't the "second coming of christ", Nirvana or whatever religious faith you believe to be the ultimate in redemption and salvation. It isn't here to save us from ourselves. It isn't a messaih. The problem is, people have taken it too seriously and expect it to change their lives. It can't. It won't. It's a movie.

Get over it.

Later!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.