Gandalf vs Sephiroth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NinjaJJ
big grin

Gandalf (Lord of the Rings) versus Sephiroth (Final Fantasy)

Who will wins? evil face

big grin

eleveninches
I dont know who Sephiroph is, so I'll have to go for Gandalf

Deus_ex_Machina
sephiroth, no doubt

i mean hes ultra powerfull

Gregory
A video game character versus a novel character. Why is this in this forum?

VENOMfan
I second this, and Sephiroth would murder him

WindDancer
I'm not a FF fan so I pick Gandalf.

Raventheonly
Dude Gandolf has lived 800 lives of men and has powers beyond imagination, he can stop arrows in mid air and melt the sword in your hand, create lightning and fire from nothing and is a nearly invincible swordsmen. Only an entity of pure darkness and at the command of near endless armies and master of necromancy rivals the power of Gandolf... Sauron if you don't know. Truly the movie underplays Gandalf's power. Sephiroth was dead before he entered the contest... eek!

VallejoKid707
^ Ditto

VENOMfan
Sephiroth can blow up a galaxy, he would turn Gandolf into dust. and a being of pure evil? Sephiroth was a god by the end of FF7, and was infinetly evil

Raventheonly
Whelp didn't know that, considering a couple of pathetic heroes in FF would beat his butt every time.

Lord Ryugen
Sephiroth only lost to Cloud and his mates in the promised land because Areth's prayer syphoned most of his strength away. I mean we're talking about a guy who slaughtered Shinra HQ, impaled a giant snake on a tree, got tossed into the lifestream and frozen and yet still had enough power to make a solid astral projection of himself, freed the Weapons, held back Holy and created an almost imprentrable sheild with just his will, was seen to be indestructible in Clouds flashback and oh yeah possed an attack that reduces a Solar System to dust.
Gandalf on the other hand makes a flashlight with his staff, and that includes the books because I have them.
Now who do you say is going to win?

WindDancer
I just got a question about the Timing of Sephiroth. Now how long does it take him to build up his powers? Does he have to go through stages in order to use his powers. How long does it take him to do that? I'm not saying he is not powerful, but is he very quick?

As for Gandalf, he fough Balrog in the Mines of Moria when he was Gandalf the grey, he reappears as a more imposing figure clad all in white. The change of color is significant, for he has come to replace the corrupted Saruman as the chief of the Wizards. In a sense he has become Saruman, or rather what Saruman should have been.

Deus_ex_Machina
sephiroth has the power, presto

always

he doenst need to build up

one of his attacks reduces a solar system to ashes, and another reduces ure health to its minimum

Raz
Moving to the Games forums...

el_barto
i would have to go with gandalf with this. Now if you are talking about gandalf the gray than sephiroth but gandalf the white would kick sephs ass

The Force
Gandalf all the way, all he'd have to do was blind sephiroth then slam him in the nards with his staff. Game Over for Seph, and can you believe that Gandalf didn't even break a sweat big grin

gambit88
ummm i go with seph boy gandalf is good no doubt but he's not all powerful but if your going in different times of their lives i mean if gandalf was at his peak and sepheroth a 12 year old gandalf might stand a chance but if your going when they were both at their most powerful then seph can take out a galaxy kill ya in one hit while gandalf has alot of his powers such as knocking arrows out of the air and making swords really hot i dunno

you realize however if we're goin on the commercial standards such as the game we should be going by the movies though in which gandalf kills many orcs while a girl is cuttin off the nazgul rides's head (that was so sweet)

but to end my little speach gandalf is more of a leader/mentor in the books and movie than he is a warrior and sepheroth is a down to the bone warrior

JKozzy
This is a very unrealistic and unfair comparison.

Raventheonly
Exactly-

Lord Ryugen
Once again the only power that Gandalf truly displays is a big white light that scares evil people. Now contray to popular belief Sephiroth is not truly evil, he's insane, his mind has been twisted by Jenova. And it's not the mindless insanity of a raving lunatic, it's a cold calculating ruthless insanity Gandalf has yet to meet. Gandalf's power of making swords hot and stopping arrows are useless against the knowldge of the Centra he can't win

Raventheonly
He's actually the best swordsman in te entire world at his time... and he can conjurn lightning along with seeing into the future, the movies don't show crap.... I don't question Sep but give Gandalf some credit. he uses the bright light because the orcs weakness is light, Sarouns breeders makes them resitant, otherwise they would turn to stone smile There is more than three parts to one book.

el_barto
^SEE i knew it THERE IS A SMART PERSON ON KMC!

Lord Ryugen
Okay fair enough I obviously underestimated the power of Gandalf but answer me this. Can Gandalf destroy a solar system? Can he breath in space? Even if Gandalf kills Seph he'll lose anyway since Meteor will wipe out Middle Earth.

Raventheonly
No prob i didn't know sep was that strong, reminds me of the DBZ kinda ban crosses we imposed. Gandalf isn't really a person or a being at all, more like a force of nature walkin around in the for of an old man. But Sep will definetly win so no prob.

Lord Ryugen
I'm going to give all the Gandalf fans a little task since I'm not sure how much power the old wizard has. If you can give me undenible proof that Gandalf can hold back the will of a planet, slaughter a large group of monsters and soldiers (Seph acheived this at Shinra HQ) or absorb enough power to kill the enitre solar system and I'll admit that he has a chance.

sith_darth_jay
i know gandalf

he told me he can do all of that and more!!! yes

..seriously, how the hell are we suppose to know if he can do all that, did we write the book?????

and what makes you so sure that seph is the best one of all

...maybe, just maybe, squenix will come up with a stronger, more powerful and vicious villain than him, he's just a videogame character, not real

stop this already.

WindDancer
See Lord Ryugen, We all know that Gandalf is not capable of doing things like that. Of course Sephiroth can do all that. So therefore Seph wins!

But the thing that I notice about this kinda of threads is that some people (I'm not saying you) tend to think that "destruction" equals "power" is not always like that!

Certain characters like Gandalf can delegate and persuade an opponent. Is Sephiroth power all about destruction? Does he have the intellect or the cunning of Gandalf? See Gandalf may not have intergalactic powers, but he certainly has a very powerful mind.

VENOMfan
well Spehiroth tho insane was supposed to be brilliant. and insane enuf that no one could reason with him

DarkHorn-Hucast
Insanity is not something you reason with, sorry, but I'm going with Sephiroth... The man has 3 forms, one that you cannot destroy by yourself basically, the 2nd being a flying form, Gandalf can't fly last time I checked, and 3rd being so powerful that he could render anyone to dust with one fell swoop of his blade if he so chose.

Darth Revan
Well, to start with, comparing characters from different worlds is sort of a stupid idea to begin with--Gandalf is one of the most powerful beings in the Tolkein trilogy, while Seph is (I assume from what I've heard, though I've never played the FF games) one of or the most powerful from his world. Both are, relatively speaking, incredibly powerful. But comparing the two is something like comparing the toughest 14-year old kid at a middle school to the best pro wrestler in the WWF. You can't compare the two, since their backgrounds and worlds are so vastly different.

DarkHorn-Hucast
I like the way you summed that up Revan, good point. It doesn't really make sense, but most of the things in this world don't, so just shoot for a bullseye and go along with it, no insult, honestly! FROM THE HORN!

Darth Revan
hmm... Well Seph sounds pretty damn tough, so even though Gandalf is the shiz I'm going to have to say Seph would win.

DarkHorn-Hucast
Revan, you are now kool to the Horn!

Darth Revan
raver

Lord Ryugen
You see making threads like this are pointless. Sephiroth has so many magic abilites that only the really heavy hitters can beat him, and althiugh Gandalf is without a doubt powerful Tolken never bothered to show what he was capable of. So I'm sorry LOTR fans Gandalf is destined for failure this time.

steely balls
we don't know whos more pwerful so i say no comparison, so no one wins

Raventheonly
Apparently Gandalf is actually an angel according to the LOTR thread so i really don't know lol just end it......

steely balls
angel...huh that would make sense

Lord Ryugen
Angel? Well Sephiroth can become an angel in his second form so it's not that special

steely balls
mmkay

The Force
... go Gandalf no expression

cid highwind
first of all sephiroth don't need to do his super nova or call the meteor or any other of his amazing magics to turn gandalf into dust.It's like call a wheal to beat a goldfish. Secont I've heard from someone that Gantalf can blind Sephiroth with his stuff!!!Well (let's sreak seriously) Sephiroth do not need nothing more than teleport behind Gantalf and he will make him that wha we call in Greece "soublaki" which is many pieces of meat
all together with a stick

dark1365
This is classified as a "versus" forum, hence notice the subforum called "Games 'Versus' Forum". Get a mod to move this thread to that specific forum, so it won't clog issues in the Comp/Videogame discussion.

Games 'Versus' Forum
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f85/

dave123
Indeed, but this forum was made before the Versus forum... so I'll let this slide wink

dark1365
What happened to the wall, dave?! What the f**k?

And Gandalf would win, I mean White Wizard vs. Sephiroth, come on.
Go Gandalf!

SaTsuJiN
gandalf would win... he's lead many to victory over his 2 lifetimes lol.. (considering the powers that be gave him a second chance to turn the tide) .. what does some megalomaniac have on that?.. pfft...

Lord Ryugen
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
gandalf would win... he's lead many to victory over his 2 lifetimes lol.. (considering the powers that be gave him a second chance to turn the tide) .. what does some megalomaniac have on that?.. pfft...

But what powers has Gandalf shown that could beat Sephiroth. I've read 'The Hobbit' and "The Lord Of The Rings' trilogy the best he's done was a lightning bolt in 'The Hobbit' against some goblins and the nightlight that scares away evil. Sephiroth is stronger, faster has (as far as I can tell) more potent destructive magic and not an ounce of mercy. No one has been able to explain to me why Gandalf will win. He's led many to victory, so what? He doesn't have an army or party of heroes to lead this time. He's a master swordsman. So's Sephiroth. He went through extensive traing almost all of his life. No one has given me one reason to even consider Gandalf for victory. What does one megalomaniac have on that? From the looks of things everything.

dark1365
Gandalf would kick Seph's ass so bad in hand to hand weapons combat.

SaTsuJiN
Gandalf used only what was needed to complete his exploits... he showed bilbo a sample of his power to display that he was "No conjuror of cheap tricks".. during that sequence where bilbo got out of line when he asked to see the ring.. so Im sure if gandalf used his full power, it would be really vicious

dark1365
There was no seriously dire need to use Gandalf's full potential in the story. Remember, he's supposed to be old and wise, so he can basically think of better ways to solve the problem. Which meant that he didn't use his full power, duh...

Lord Ryugen
Which means no one has any basis to say he's stronger than Sephiroth. If we've never seen his full power then all you can give is speculation. So what if he's old and wise? Wisdom ain't gonna do squat against Sephiroth in a fight. He's never shown that he can cause damage on a grand scale, and that sequence Satsugin was talking about, he got a little bigger, made the shadows darker and his voice hollow and louder. What, you think Sephiroth's gonig to be afraid of that. No one on this thread has given a clear reason on why Gandalf will beat Sephiroth. Gandalf is a manipulator who gets other people to do the work. On his own the best he did was beat that fire demon thing. I've given proof of Sephiroth's power and they surpass that easily.

SaTsuJiN
gandalf was meant to die at that point.. LoTR isnt supposed to be like an anime where he does some huge kamehameha and then sauron gets pwned and the ring is teleported to mordor resulting in the end of the movie in a 10 minute span.. its too easy to go "omg this character cracks mountains by looking at them".. thats sorta boring.. like I said , gandalf didnt use much of his powers because they werent necessary... you saw sarumon.. he changed the weather just by chanting into to the wind.. different wizards use different spells is all

Lord Ryugen
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
gandalf was meant to die at that point.. LoTR isnt supposed to be like an anime where he does some huge kamehameha and then sauron gets pwned and the ring is teleported to mordor resulting in the end of the movie in a 10 minute span.. its too easy to go "omg this character cracks mountains by looking at them".. thats sorta boring.. like I said , gandalf didnt use much of his powers because they werent necessary... you saw sarumon.. he changed the weather just by chanting into to the wind.. different wizards use different spells is all

I'm not saying that, but no one has given any valid points on why Gandalf will win the fight except that he's a master swordsman. Well thats no good if Sephiroth casts Bolt 3 is it. If Gandalf didn't use much of his powers then no one can give a real estimate on what he could do going all out. It's all speculation and I can't debate against that. You say Gandalf can change the weather by chanting. Well I'll be the first to admit that's a cool power, but how long does he take to do this? Can he control the weather he's created and make it do what he wants? I know it sounds like I want Gandalf to blow up small continents by blinking but I don't. I just want someone to give my a relevant breakdown of his abilities and why they would allow him to beat Sephiroth.

dark1365
Dire need: When the Balrog tried to smash him to pieces with that big flaming sword.

Yep, he used a shield charm, but remember, he was GREY before, now he's WHITE, the master rank of wizardry. Saruman is white; look at the magic he did, as Satsujin said before, changed the weather by makingthis big blizzard by chanting and holding up his staff.
And look how Gandalf defeated him, rather easily by the look of it. This proves that Gandalf can also create this storm without too much effort.

Other than that there was not really dire needs, except when ol'
Theoden was screwed up, and he had to use sorcerous blast a coupla times.

Lord Ryugen
Originally posted by dark1365
Dire need: When the Balrog tried to smash him to pieces with that big flaming sword.

Yep, he used a shield charm, but remember, he was GREY before, now he's WHITE, the master rank of wizardry. Saruman is white; look at the magic he did, as Satsujin said before, changed the weather by makingthis big blizzard by chanting and holding up his staff.
And look how Gandalf defeated him, rather easily by the look of it. This proves that Gandalf can also create this storm without too much effort.

Fair enough, he did do that as a grey wizard and I admit being a White Wizard made him stronger than Saruman. But from what I gather from Theoden's recovery and Saruman (who I was pretty sure got beaten by the Ents) it looked more like he was going for mental abilites. Now given that Sephy is insane and was rather easily controlled by Jenova that could be an advantage. I'm still not convinced but thanks for giving me something to think about Dark.

Lord Ryugen
Originally posted by dark1365

Fair enough, he did do that as a grey wizard and I admit being a White Wizard made him stronger than Saruman. But from what I gather from Theoden's recovery and Saruman (who I was pretty sure got beaten by the Ents) it looked more like he was going for mental abilites. Now given that Sephy is insane and was rather easily controlled by Jenova that could be an advantage. I'm still not convinced but thanks for giving me something to think about Dark.

SaTsuJiN
He was trapped in his tower by the Ents.. not defeated big grin

Lord Ryugen
His city was taken over and his army was crushed. You don't call that defeated?

dark1365
No, we mean utterly defeated, as in very dead.

Lord Ryugen
Well in that case Wormtounge defeated him, didn't he?

Sephiroth-onewi
Hello guys sephiroth here.
I would win.Sephiroth cannot only blow a solor system but lets look at his other abilities.
Telepathy...I can easily gain an upperhand by giving gandalf a mind boggling headache.then chop him up
Creating monsters.....I can created monsters out of objects and make them strong.Gandalf wins the fight against monster but I woud come in and finish the job after all he would be weakened.
Control body mass....I can lift you up so i can slice you to pieces.And I lift you by my mind.

Zen2nd
Can I ask how does he blow up a solar system without being in it himself?

dvampire
Seph. One Holy or Meteor blast is overkill. The FF characters have space/time magic, he could use haste to make himself even faster or use slow on Gandalf and slice him to little bits. Happy Dance

mr.smiley
I think in theory Gandalf could win.He is I belive the word is a Vala.He was the servent of a Valor (a God).He was sent to middle earth to help the people etc.After fighting the Balrog he died,but the Valor brought him back even stronger.If the fight was even a concern to the Valor they could bring Gandalf back as powerful as they wanted.

Dizzle
That's just a theory though. White is specified as the highest rank and power that a wizard can attain, so I'd say the Valar CAN'T actually make Gandalf any better. The books and such don't show all of Gandalf's power, true, but it's nothing on Sephiroth. Enough orcs would eventually get to and chop up Gandalf. I wouldn't give any number of orcs a fighting chance against Seph.

I could also cheat and come up with a ludicrous theory that Sephiroth is a direct conduit for the power of God because of his name... But I'm not going to go there.

mr.smiley
It only works on Catholics!LOL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.