Kanye west!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OBloommyday
has anyone listen to his music?

college drop out is the best album! poetic hip hop can be found in his music! anyone else likes him?
My farovite song is Never let me down, Jesus walks and lLil Jim skit

Sarah15
yeah, i like him...i like slow jamz...

OBloommyday
O yah! i love his music very poetic and he is very educated. I wish i could get some of his earlier songs.

HockeyHorror
he's alright. some of his stuff is good but overall he's average.

steely balls
hes very good rap is getting better every year

GABRIEL05
I don't know if he's such a great rapper so much as a beat maker.

MF D00m
he's good at makin beats.wouldn't call him poetic or anything.

i like "we don't care" and "get em high"

this is his first and only album but he has a lot of mixtapes and bootlegs.mostly of songs he did for other artists.

MF D00m
where have you been?

steely balls
wadda ya mean

MF D00m
you say rap is gettin better like if it wasn't good in the first place.its not even as good as it used to be.and no i'm not talkin about snoop,eminem,ja rule,50 cent,cash money,ect.

steely balls
i'm talkin about mainstream rap is starting to appeal to me again. ja rule and cash money suck.

MF D00m
ahhh,i see...no doubt.very true.

*Georgina_A*
Kayne West is awesome! I'm not really into rap, but I really enjoy listening to Kayne.

stunna1773
i listen to kanye alot

Phat J
this is an old thread, before i joined

golem370
I think he is a A$$hole and is overrated no

lil bitchiness
Why is he an arsehole? In what way?

I enjoy Kanye West - not his biggest fan, but i like listening to him. We call Kanye ''morning music'' because he is what me and my flat mate usually listen to when we're driving to Uni, thursdays and fridays mornings.

Dr. Strangelove
Originally posted by golem370
I think he is a A$$hole and is overrated no

I like Kanye, but this statement couldn't be more true.

-hh-
well he is an *******, that's true. he keeps claiming he's top 5 laughing

PiruBlood
Originally posted by -hh-
well he is an *******, that's true. he keeps claiming he's top 5 laughing TOP 5? sh*t dont get me wrong kanye is a great beat maker but he cant rap fo shit. if kankye west is top 5 then i shot jay z and married beyonce

Solo
Have been a big Kanye fan for quite some time now.

Afro Cheese
Kanye west is the shit.. he should be in the bible. thumb up

Alpha Centauri
Said it before, I'll say it again.

He's hip hop's Coldplay.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I love it when you say that! Can you say it again, please?

Alpha Centauri
No, simply because I don't know what happens when I do.

I'm disturbed by you, Krunk'd. Increasingly so. You crazy foo'.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
'Special' things happen, AC...'special' things...

Now, where was I? Oh, yes...

Kanye is cool an' all. I like dat 'Heard 'Em Say' track. It's a tune.

Darth POW
heard em say, diamonds from sierra leone and jesus walks are amazing.

Dusty
Bump.

I love Kanye's newest CD. Also, his others. Naturally.

Alpha Centauri
The man's shit. Totally unoriginal and nothing special, at all.

The fact that he has the nerve to simply remix a Daft Punk song, change the title and call it his own is rather ridiculous.

-AC

Dusty
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
The man's shit. Totally unoriginal and nothing special, at all.

The fact that he has the nerve to simply remix a Daft Punk song, change the title and call it his own is rather ridiculous.

-AC

Well, I feel entirely opposite. I'd say his latest contribution was rather creative.

Could I offer an alternative original rapper? Solja Boy, perhaps?

Alpha Centauri
How was it creative?

It's essentially a remix, it's nowhere near different enough to be considered his own song, yet he does so, then in a twist of hypocricy says "Does anybody make real shit anymore?".

He's a hack.

-AC

Dusty
How was it creative?

It's essentially a remix, it's nowhere near different enough to be considered his own song, yet he does so, then in a twist of hypocricy says "Does anybody make real shit anymore?".

He's a hack.

-AC

The only similarity between the two songs was the background track, which is even lowered in pitch.

Quiero Mota
How was it creative?

He's a hack.

-AC

You once said that Hendrix made "All Along The Watchtower", "more or less his own song", and that was a cover. Now why can't the same be said about Kanye, and when it's totally different except for a slightly altered beat?

Originally posted by Dusty
The only similarity between the two songs was the background track, which is even lowered in pitch.

Exactly.

Alpha Centauri

Lowering in pitch does not a difference make.

Either way, what he did was essentially a remix, so for him to claim it as his own song, not even to refer to it as Kanye West Vs Daft Punk, is extremely hypocritical. It just shows how much he lacks talent if he's making a career of other people.

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
You once said that Hendrix made "All Along The Watchtower", "more or less his own song", and that was a cover. Now why can't the same be said about Kanye, and when it's totally different except for a slightly altered beat?

Precisely, it was a cover. He didn't change the title or make it out to be "HIS", it's considered his by others because he completely changed it with the immense talent he had. He didn't sample Dylan and twist some knobs.

Hendrix didn't sample the exact song, he wrote and performed new parts to it that the original musician couldn't have dreamed of.

Kanye West didn't, and probably couldn't, hence why he's a sampler.

If that's how he makes his career, fine, but he shouldn't be going around complaining about "real shit", and should be giving Daft Punk more credit.

The video itself isn't even original, it's a massive rip off of Akira.

If people like him, cool, I just dislike the fact that people hail him as some creative genius, he's not. The Coldplay of hip hop; safe, nothing revolutionary, nothing amazingly talented.

-AC

Dusty

Kanye West didn't, and probably couldn't, hence why he's a s
If that's how he makes his career, fine, but he shouldn't be going around complaining about "real shit", and should be giving Daft Punk more credit.

-AC

They received writing credits, and their costumes were in the music video. What more credit could he present to them?

vintageSW77
I love Daft Punk but the track West sampled from DP was in fact part sampled off Cola Bottle Baby by Birdsong Eddie or something

but they did it with style

as opposed to West
who is a grade A wanker,egocentric prick and a prima donna

heres the original amonst other DP samples
http://nodatta.blogspot.com/2007/08/daft-punk-sample-sources.html

Alpha Centauri
They received writing credits, and their costumes were in the music video. What more credit could he present to them?

Legally they have to be on the liner notes, but what he did was a remix, so he shouldn't have changed the title and he should have included their names.

It's not an original song, it's a remix.

"A remix is an alternative version of a song, different from the original version. A remixer uses audio mixing to compose an alternate master recording of a song, adding or subtracting elements, or simply changing the equalization, dynamics, pitch, tempo, playing time, or almost any other aspect of the various musical components.".

Kanye West Vs Daft Punk or Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (Remix) wouldn't have killed him.

-AC

Bardock42
So, what are the two songs referred to? I would like to judge for myself.

Dusty
Originally posted by Bardock42
So, what are the two songs referred to? I would like to judge for myself.

Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Kanye West - Stronger

2D_MASTER
Nobody will remember this guy in 15 years (to be conservative). He's shit, it's just that nobody has realized it yet because he's the new hot thing.

InnerRise
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Nobody will remember this guy in 15 years (to be conservative). He's shit, it's just that nobody has realized it yet because he's the new hot thing. "New hot thing"????

More like Old and tired.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Dusty
I'm sure we have some real masters of Hip Hop history and ethics participating in this thread. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dusty
Originally posted by InnerRise
"New hot thing"????

More like Old and tired.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

So, the guy has THREE albums out. So, now he's "Old"?

I'm sure he's sorry for not being fresh enough out of the womb for you.

Alpha Centauri
So, the guy has THREE albums out. So, now he's "Old"?

I'm sure he's sorry for not being fresh enough out of the womb for you.

He's old news, yes. Especially since he's been around for almost 8 years.

Although I suspect InnerRise doesn't know him from that far back, he was unintentionally right.

I'm sure we have some real masters of Hip Hop history and ethics participating in this thread. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Is that an implication that people, including me, do not know about hip hop?

I love great hip hop, which is why I don't like Kanye West. Like people who listen to Coldplay and think they like rock music.

-AC

Quiero Mota
Lowering in pitch does not a difference make.

Either way, what he did was essentially a remix, so for him to claim it as his own song, not even to refer to it as Kanye West Vs Daft Punk, is extremely hypocritical. It just shows how much he lacks talent if he's making a career of other people.

Precisely, it was a cover. He didn't change the title or make it out to be "HIS", it's considered his by others because he completely changed it with the immense talent he had. He didn't sample Dylan and twist some knobs.

Hendrix didn't sample the exact song, he wrote and performed new parts to it that the original musician couldn't have dreamed of.

Kanye West didn't, and probably couldn't, hence why he's a sampler.

The video itself isn't even original, it's a massive rip off of Akira.

If people like him, cool, I just dislike the fact that people hail him as some creative genius, he's not. The Coldplay of hip hop; safe, nothing revolutionary, nothing amazingly talented.

-AC

Its considered to be "his" by a lot of people porque many of them don't even know who the original is by. I personally have an aversion to covers since the way they sound stray to far from the originals.

And when it comes to giving Daft Punk credit...Dusty already covered that.

He's old news, yes. Especially since he's been around for almost 8 years.

Although I suspect InnerRise doesn't know him from that far back, he was unintentionally right.

Is that an implication that people, including me, do not know about hip hop?

I love great hip hop, which is why I don't like Kanye West. Like people who listen to Coldplay and think they like rock music.

-AC

I don't like Kanye West because I don't like Chi-town rap. Why don't you specifically like Kanye West? What does him and that semi-feminine English band have in common?

Alpha Centauri
Its considered to be "his" by a lot of people porque many of them don't even know who the original is by. I personally have an aversion to covers since the way they sound stray to far from the originals.

It's also considered to be his by people who do know who it's by, and by Bob Dylan, because he did enough with it. Comparing it to Kanye remixing Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is dumb.

And when it comes to giving Daft Punk credit...Dusty already covered that.

And so did I, it's bs.

I don't like Kanye West because I don't Chi-town rap. Why don't you specifically like Kanye West? What does him and that semi-feminine English band have in common?

The fact that they're just a safe, conservative middle ground for people who are afraid to go further, but far enough away from the "norm" to make it seem like these people are being adventurous by liking them.

Kanye isn't actually from Chicago either, by the way.

-AC

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Kayne just has one great song and thats Jesus Walks. Although he did sell a million some odd records this past week.

Bardock42
Its considered to be "his" by a lot of people porque many of them don't even know who the original is by.

Wel, yeah, but that's like saying Limp Bizkit made Behind Blue Eyes their own, because most people don't have the least bit of clue about music history.

Quiero Mota
Kanye isn't actually from Chicago either, by the way.

Yes he is. He wasn't born there, but he's from there. Just like Tupac; he was born in Manhattan, but was from L.A. It's the city they claim, ey.

Going off that, Kanye's style is Chi-town, not Dirty South.

Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Kayne just has one great song and thats Jesus Walks. Although he did sell a million some odd records this past week.

That's by far his best song.

Dusty

-AC

What all do you listen to?

Just out of interest, I'm not looking to shun your taste.

Alpha Centauri
Hip hop wise?

Wu-Tang Clan, Cannibal Ox, Cage, Cunninglynguists, Mr. Lif, MF Doom, Public Enemy, Redman, Common, Pharoahe Monch, Chino XL, Run DMC, E.P.M.D etc.

Lots of stuff. Not Kanye.

-AC

Bardock42
I love Kanye West

-AC

Funkadelic
Fight The Power!

Alpha Centauri
Yes, they did other songs too.

-AC

Funkadelic
lol, I love how you said that.

Off course, but that one is my favourite.

Anyway I kinda dig Kanye, I'm not pretending he's good or something, I guess he's my guilty pleasure.

Reverend Axel
Hip hop wise?

Wu-Tang Clan, Cannibal Ox, Cage, Cunninglynguists, Mr. Lif, MF Doom, Public Enemy, Redman, Common, Pharoahe Monch, Chino XL, Run DMC, E.P.M.D etc.

Lots of stuff. Not Kanye.

-AC You might wanna check this out. if you haven't already

http://www.adultswim.com/williams/music/defswim/index.html

Alpha Centauri
I've heard Flyentology by El-P, Rev. It's on his latest album.

Originally posted by Funkadelic
lol, I love how you said that.

Off course, but that one is my favourite.

Anyway I kinda dig Kanye, I'm not pretending he's good or something, I guess he's my guilty pleasure.

I never understood why anybody has guilty pleasures. You like him, clearly, why does it matter what anybody else thinks?

-AC

Reverend Axel
I've heard Flyentology by El-P, Rev. It's on his latest album.

There are other songs on that record as well.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Reverend Axel
There are other songs on that record as well.

The implication in my comment being that I own it, and have since it came out.

You daft penny.

-AC

Reverend Axel
The implication in my comment being that I own it, and have since it came out.

You daft penny.

-AC I guess I kinda figured that. Kinda. Well, not really.

Quiero Mota
Yes, they did other songs too.

-AC

Though, that's the only one they're really known for.

Alpha Centauri
Ding, ding, ding, you win tonight's star prize.

That was my point in the first place.

-AC

vanice
Kanye is very good at what he does. He can make music that a lot of people like and can identify themselves with. I think he is one of the better mainstream MC's. Still I don't think his music is all that interesting or his lyrics at all that good. But still a lot better than most of the other shit hip-hop you get on MTV.
He is one of the better ones i know who can both rap and make good beats.

chidori210
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Kanye west is the shit.. he should be in the bible. thumb up LMAO great answer!!!

Bardock42
Originally posted by chidori210
LMAO great answer!!!

He could be a gay fisherman.

steverules_2
Kanye's a gay fish

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.