best fencer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
who is the best with a lightsaber? I think Sidious. From what we've seen and heard he's ambidextrous and conserves movement well.

These are based on available info and my own observations (I do European fencing and Kenjitsu)

jackstain
you didnt say best with a lightsaber, u said best fencer.....
best with a saber? darth maul
best fencer? tyranus

Darth Jello
fencing is fighting with a blade, not limited to the European one handed definition.

jackstain
fencing is not fighting with a blade you moron, its a completely separate style of sword fighting. are you an idiot?

Darth_Nefarus
I know I'm not and the fact is Darth Tyrannus is the best at fencing.

Darth Jello
actually, I do martial arts, but thanks for acting like a dick.

Velcro_Boy
weres obi wan?
hes the one that beat maul and anakin, pretty much the 2 best fighters.

jackstain
what does martial arts have to do with sword fighting u moron

ArthasKnight
Martial arts isn't just hand-to-hand, it includes learning to fight with weapons which can include swords. Think before you open your mouth, if you don't then stupid things come out as I have witnessed on more than one occasion.

jackstain
shut the f*ck up you stupid jackass. i know what the hell im talking about. the other kid doesnt. fencing is not all sword fighting ever, and thats what he said. dont make me b*tch slap u, u nerd.

ArthasKnight
What are you talking about? Fencing is a style of sword fighting, which, unless I'm missing something, INVOLVES SWORDS.

Darth Jello
Kid, one of us here picks up a sword and practices 4 times a week.

Darth_Nefarus
And I practice daily, and the entire question was, who was the best at fencing? Fencing, a particular series of parries, counters and foot placement.
Dooku or Sidious.

ArthasKnight
Dooku, I'd say. He was a master at the old saber technique, which was fencing.

Darth_Nefarus
Yeah, he slaps Anakin and Obi-Wan around and then holds off Yoda, who is THE Jedi master.

Darth Jello
Lucas has said that Sidious is Ambidextrous and nearly unbeatable, Mace almost bested him because form 7 or Vapaad or whatever is unconventional.

ArthasKnight
Do you have a link to wherever it lists the forms?

Darth Jello
no, but the lists are fairly common on the net and i believe are described in shatterpoint

anyway, fencing really comes down to four factors: Speed, Agility, Skill, and Handedness. the latter becomes a factor for the following reasons. Much of the two handed combat in SW is based on Kenjitsu which along with Kendo are predominantly left-handed. The left hand is on the bottom of the blade and is strength and control while the right hand is on top and is used mostly for fine tuning motions.
In single handed combat, as in most martial arts and many other sports, the lefty has the advantage by virtue of surprise and keeping his or her opponent off balance. A lefty would have much more powerful and graceful swings.
Palpatine is both Agile and fast as seen in the trailers and spoilers. His skill is not in question since he taught Darth Maul. This leaves his Ambidextrity which was mentioned by either Lucas or Nick Gillard or both (don't quite remember). Most Jedi we've seen have a hand preference, usually right (Luke is an exception, just like Mark Hamill, he is left-handed). so palpatine has it where it counts, he has speed, flexibility, knowledge, and surprise.

Darth_Nefarus
So, then where are you getting this from?

Darth Jello
apart from official sources and TF.N, my teachers

Darth_Nefarus
I can accept this, Sidious should be more powerful than everyone save for Anakin.
Also, he should rock the house with his saber.

JediMusician
If we are going with Using a blade=Fencing, then Yoda is by far the best fencer on that list.

Illustrious
Originally posted by JediMusician
If we are going with Using a blade=Fencing, then Yoda is by far the best fencer on that list.

What the hell are you smoking by ressurecting a FOUR MONTH DEAD topic? What realm did you have to go to fish this one out of?

Darth_Janus
This is s stupid thread anyways... Dooku is the only fencer here by definition... His style is based on Spanish fencing for the most part. All the others are closer to more general styles with an orient influence.

Darth Kronos
THANK YOU JANUS and whats up with putting GG on the list?

Darth_Janus
Lack of understanding I guess?

LordSorgo
Anyone who knows anything about Fencing knows that Dooku takes this one home.

Admiral Akbar
Agreed.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by JediMusician

What the f**k?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.