The Island

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cal31
First trailer was just released here:http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/the_island/
All I gotta say is how many more great movies are coming out this summer, this truly could be the best summer for movies ever. This film looks great, especially with a cast of McGregor, Scarlett, Jiimon Hounsou, Michael Clarke Duncan, and Steve Buscemi.

cal31
wow, anyone?

Cinemaddiction
It was trailered on "Ring Two" this afternoon, and it looks fantastic. I'm definately there for it. Reminded me of "Logan's Run".

lau_timmy
Plot Summary
Lincoln Six-Echo (McGregor) is a resident of a seemingly utopian but contained facility in the mid-21st century. Like all of the inhabitants of this carefully controlled environment, Lincoln hopes to be chosen to go to the "The Island," reportedly the last uncontaminated spot on the planet. But Lincoln soon discovers that everything about his existence is a lie. He and all of the other inhabitants of the facility are actually human clones whose only purpose is to provide "spare parts" for their original human counterparts. Realizing it is only a matter of time before he is "harvested," Lincoln makes a daring escape with a fellow resident named Jordan Two-Delta (Johansson). Pursued by the forces of the institute that once housed them, Lincoln and Jordan engage in a race for their lives to literally meet their makers.

I'm looking forward to it because I enjoy Michael Bay's style (don't care if other people hate Bay).

Lydia_J
That looks so cool, and its an amazing idea for a story with all the talk about cloning thats happened

bilb
Ewan McGregor & Sean Bean together? I am THERE baby!!

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by bilb
Ewan McGregor & Sean Bean together? I am THERE baby!!

You are their Baby!?!!? How can 2 males have a child!?!?

eek!

CyberFelon
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
It was trailered on "Ring Two" this afternoon, and it looks fantastic. I'm definately there for it. Reminded me of "Logan's Run".

I honestly thought that it was a slightly modified remake of Logan's Run until "The Island" was displayed at the end of the trailer. I'm excited about the film, but I'm wondering what's going to happen when the actual Logan's Run remake is released. The two movies look like they are going to be very similar.

ragesRemorse
jerry bruckheimer is involved so it cant be that good.

Wolfie
It looks really good. I'll be seeing this for sure.

faradayslaw
Yep, it's basically a clone version of Logans Run.

Cinemaddiction
Well, the big difference is the storyline. LR was about being picked to live the perfect life until your 30, having the old world crumbled around you. TI is about living in a utopian society, in HOPES that you're picked to be sent to the uncontaminated Island and unbeknownst to you, being cloned along with other human beings.

The comparisons are obvious, but they aren't precise copies, these movies. Have to account for the THX-1138 influence as well, especially the white jumpsuits.

BackFire
Looks somewhat interesting, though Micheal Bay directing is never a plus in my book.

Red Superfly
This movie looks so rubbish.

I saw the ten bazillion explosions, the cheesy action music, and cliche'd crap, and before I could say "Michael Bay" - his name pops up, confirming my fears.

Someone stop this man.

ladygrim
Looks quite intreseting seen the trailer for it a couple of times tho im not a fan of scarlet johanson i mite wot it (sp?)

king_arthur
Don't worry. Michael Bay totally got it right with this movie from early reviews from preview screenings for this movie. There's nothing wrong with this movie from what they say and that it is his best movie to date. I can't wait to see the look on the critics faces when they see this. Michael Bay will rub it all in their faces.

fruits
i saw a trailer and this movie seriously looks awesome. a must see ive gotta say from what it seems

Morning_Glory
http://movies.about.com/library/graphics/theislandposter2b.jpg

thought Id come and post the poster..

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by king_arthur
Don't worry. Michael Bay totally got it right with this movie from early reviews from preview screenings for this movie. There's nothing wrong with this movie from what they say and that it is his best movie to date. I can't wait to see the look on the critics faces when they see this. Michael Bay will rub it all in their faces.

There is always a critic out there saying that the particular movie being released is the actors or directors best movie to date.

Bad Boy
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
jerry bruckheimer is involved so it cant be that good.

Bruckheimer is not involved in the slightest way!

BTW, its looks wicked!

Morning_Glory
the first hour of the movie was one total cheese ball- the script was horrible... but the second hour had great action scenes happy ... I loved the 2nd half! eek!

droolio and there was 2 ewans... droolio

thought Buschemi was great .... as usual happy

RontheKooshball
I'll just say, I saw the movie last night and it was brilliant. I loved it.

^^ and about the Ewan thing....yeah. That's what I was doing.

I couldn't care less about who directed it, I just thought it was brilliantly done. I plan on seeing it again.

Morning_Glory
I might see it again .. but I dont care about seeing the begining again... thought it was super cheese

cal31
Just saw it and I thought it was very good. Mcgregor definetely carries the movie, but I just can't stand how many bad reviews it is getting just because the critics have a bone to pick with Michael Bay. Yes the action is a little over the top, but should that ruin the rest of the movie? No. The story itself is great, along with a great cast, and the action only enhances it. Only negative would be the kind of weak ending in my opinion.

BackFire
Wow, this movie made a very low amount of money for the type of movie it is....quite surprising, looks like it will be something of a flop.

Morning_Glory
kind of a shame... cause it the action was pretty intense... i actually liked it ..

cal31
$12 million for the opening weekend? Wow. I didn't think it would do great, but this is unbelievable and very dissapointing for the movie. This movie is totally being ignored by the public, which can partially be blamed on the poor advertising for the movie and ruining the "surprise" about their being no island in the trailers. Here's hoping it does good on dvd, which I expect it will judging from the example of The Chronicle of Riddick.

Morning_Glory
I hated the Chronicles of Riddick...

you are right the trailer ruined everything... they didnt have to tell us they were clones either

RontheKooshball
Yeah, the trailers gave away way too much. I knew what practically the whole movie was about before I saw it. A little sad really.

But it was still enjoyable. And the opening was a little pathetic, but that was probably because of Bay's reputation and the horrid reviews it got.

vvvrulz
To be honest, I thought the earlier stages were the better ones. It all panned out to become a typical hollywood flick later which I found disappointing, and the plot holes started to emerge everywhere.

I agree about the trailer, you've basically seen the whole movie through just that. Very dumb.

Wolfie
The theatrical trailers made it look a lot better than the televised ones. When I saw the car chase stuff, I was immediately turned off.

cal31
Originally posted by Wolfie
The theatrical trailers made it look a lot better than the televised ones. When I saw the car chase stuff, I was immediately turned off. Exactly. It would've been much better if they just showed them in the complex and saying how Lincoln knows something is wrong but doesn't know what and just have the whole trailer about what the secret of the Island is. I like what Ebert said in his review about how the first half is a psychological thriller and the second half is a summer action flick and and both are good, but they aren't good together.

Kumar
I think it looks like a fantastic movie. i was going to have invite a bunch of friends to it and have a "movie party" (we did the same thing with house of wax which was SSSOO horrible btw) but being the procrastinator that i am, i didn't call anyone until the day of the party so i had to postpone it so people could actually make it.....

bottom line: it looks good enough to take a large group of people to

cal31
I saw it again yesterday and there was more people there then there were last Saturday when I first saw it.

Myth
Originally posted by Kumar
I think it looks like a fantastic movie. i was going to have invite a bunch of friends to it and have a "movie party" (we did the same thing with house of wax which was SSSOO horrible btw) but being the procrastinator that i am, i didn't call anyone until the day of the party so i had to postpone it so people could actually make it.....

bottom line: it looks good enough to take a large group of people to

Then again you thought the same thing about House of Wax.

Morning_Glory
how could anyone CHOOSE to see House of Wax ... i would never pay to see that crap

DeVi| D0do
My review/rant:

Probably the best way to look at this film is by looking at the two halves seperately. The first is a nice and intriguing introduction to the world on 2019 and to the themes of the film, namely the effects of human cloning. The second act is the Michael Bay act. Need I say more? The two acts are very dissimilar and it is in this the viewers may be put off. You may like of half, but hate the other. I, myself, thought they both worked well. Whether they worked well together, though is another story... one which doesn't have a happy ending.

Here's why: the first half I found very intriguing, not always original, and sometimes clever. There is much story that takes place here. Pretty much as soon as the second act begins (you'll know when) it turns somewhat injto a generic chase film. Albeit a good one, and one that works on its own merits. But as soon as this happens its as if all sense of story and plot comes to a halt - which isn't exactly true, but after so much story in the first half, the lack of it in the second is very noticable. In fact when our heroes survive a 100 story fall off a building, all sense of realism is thrown out the window (quite literally).

When the second act kicks in we suddenly realise we're watching a Michael Bay film which means running, cars and explosions. Here, I must say, that the first act is very unlike Bay in how it is quite actionless - that is, there are no explosions - and I think it's a job well done and a refreshing change from what we have come to expect from him.

I have a personal quibble with the shakey-camera tactic used in the film. While I think it can be done right - and very wll in some cases - here I'm not too sure about it. I think it may be a little too much. And I'm calling this a personal issue because it's one I have with many films. Most recently Batman Begins - while I understand the intent behind using the technique, to make Batman appear as if he's striking from within the shadows, I think even here it is too much and too distracting. The Bourne Supremacy is a film which I think uses this technique very effectively, giving a sense of closeness and frenzy yet maintaining control and not becoming too disruptive. I prefer the still, controlled camera movements (Kill Bill, Star Wars). Back to The Island - while Bay does create the needed effect of being frantic, I think in some instances, it is a little over the top.

One thing about the cinematography that I did like was the way the shots inside the facility juxtaposed those in the real world. That is, the use of smooth shots in the facility against the jerky ones outside. The tranquility of the inside and the turbulence outside.

The VFX in the are top notch and the integration of CG is superb. Bay has a good grasp on how and when to use CG and practical elements. Though he proved his ability with special FX in Pearl Harbour - pretty much the only thing he did in that film. The interaction between Ewan and Ewan is also done impeccably. Not once did it not look absolutely convincing.

The film is cast exceptionally well. Ewan does great - in fact it is him that prevents this film from becoming totally cliched. Johansson is just gorgeous (though, unfortunately she did not get her wish to do the sex scene bra-less... wtf?), and Michael Clarke Duncan is great in his small role (but was that ever a question). Sean Bean plays the Sean Bean part (and he does great yet again) and Steve Buscemi plays a part not unlike some of his others.

This film is not without its scientific (and otherwise) plotholes. My major gripe was that you simply cannot clone memories. And the film's answer to this is that "no, it cannot happen... but it did"... okay, thanks for that.

This is a film that has a great idea but not pulled off as well as it should have been. Sure, it is intriguing, and sure, it does kinda use the future to critique the present (which is what all great science fiction films do)... but it is in this regard that the ending is unsatisfying. It doesn't really answer anything, it doesn't really... end. It's a good ending to the second act, but not a great ending to the story as a whole.

One thing about the ending that really annoyed me is something that is present in many generic action films. That is the completely unmotivated, irrational reversal in character undertaken by a bad guy, in this case Djimon Hounsou (who does an ok job for what his character is). The way it's done in this film just really bugs me and makes the film even more corny and cliched than it already is. It is something that really brings the film down and might kill the film for some people.

The thing is, this film could have been a great, thoughtful, though-provoking science fiction film... Like a Phillip K. Dick story. But in the end it kind of came across as an attempt to mix films like The Truman Show and The Matrix and THX-1138... and then add a couple more car chases. But basically it kinda felt like a waste of a good idea (like The Final Cut, if anyone's seen it). It thinks it's smarter than it really is.

But when it comes down to it, I did enjoy much of the film and would recommend it. The first half is interesting and the second is fun. Put together they make for a poorly thought out yet enjoyable film. But I'm in no hurry to see it again...

3/5

Hayden'sgurl
So it's THX1138+The Giver

Zilverz
I really enjoyed this film. I have heard several people totally trash it and would like to encourage others to just go see it for yourself.
Several people have stated that they did not like the dialog choice of the main two clone characters. That they sounded stupid at times ie: scarlett saying "Good Job" after the axle/car crashing scene. Id did come off a little bland/simplistic but, it fits the story. The 2 were only educated to a 15 year old level and you remimber the simplistic books they had to read.

Also, to the guy above trashing about the memories being copied. I did not take it the same way you did. The way I understood it was that they had some of the same thoughts/dreams/ideas. That they thought alike, not that the thoughts were copied per say. Let me know if I missed something but thats the way I took it.

anyway, this is one of my favorite movies of the year

DeVi| D0do
I'm pretty sure it was implied that the memories were copied... I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it...

fruits
i just saw the movie last night and i LOVED it. and actually, i must disagree with most of you and say that i really enjoyed the beginning. i found it very interesting to see what kind of world these clones lived in and how they went about their every day life. the first half was interesting, then the 2nd half kicks in and BAM! a very action packed movie. the action was amazing and there were even a few good laughs along the way. one thing i wasn't sure i liked was the whole copied memories thing. they ended that with just, oh, the memories were copied, and i would've liked to see the explain it a little more. and if it was a defect with the whole echo generation and even some others, how come no one else questioned everything or acted weird? but all in all, a great, must see movie!!!

obiwills
I absolutely loved this movie. I've been to see it 3 times now, and I think the two halves work well together because at all times the movie was either interesting, funny, or action-packed. To me there wasn't a dull moment and it's a truly great movie. I think it flopped due to bad advertising and bad press. Unlike most action movies it really does have a great message to it, and I'd recommend everyone see it at least once before judging it based on what you've heard, as everyone has different opinions on things, and everyone is a critic.

Morning_Glory
whoa 3 times?

cal31
I saw it twice, and I'd definetely see it a third time

Morning_Glory
I still want to see it again...

fruits
one thing my friend noticed when he saw it, when they got on the train it was a train that was flying, but when he was pushing axels out of the truck at the cars, they were train axels. why do they still have train axels?

Kumar
Originally posted by fruits
one thing my friend noticed when he saw it, when they got on the train it was a train that was flying, but when he was pushing axels out of the truck at the cars, they were train axels. why do they still have train axels?

that is a good question. they probably just haven't completley converted every train to one of those crazy flying ones.

i really liked the movie. I saw it on sunday and i loved it. my bladder almost exploded because i drank a Seira mist during the movie. it would have been nice to watch it in a little more relaxed state laughing out loud

obiwills
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
whoa 3 times?

Yup 3 times, and I'm hoping to make it 4 or 5 before it's out of the theater. Loved it!

As for the train axel thing, you'll notice they were all old and rusted, I was thinking perhaps they were just moving them from a junk yard or something. Also, the idea that not all trains had been converted sounds logical. Perhaps freight trains are still running with the traditional axels as they tend to be a lot heavier than a passenger train. It would probably be much more difficult to keep a freight train in the air.

b-dan
i saw that movie last week and it kiked my ass its my fave movie this summer

obiwills
Well it's gone from the theater here now. Does anyone have any idea when it'll be out on DVD? I can't wait to buy it.

vvvrulz
I didn't know The Island has so many fans, I thought the movie was average at best.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by cal31
Just saw it and I thought it was very good. Mcgregor definetely carries the movie, but I just can't stand how many bad reviews it is getting just because the critics have a bone to pick with Michael Bay. Yes the action is a little over the top, but should that ruin the rest of the movie? No. The story itself is great, along with a great cast, and the action only enhances it. Only negative would be the kind of weak ending in my opinion.
Bad ending? the ending was awesome, it tied the entire movie together.

Morning_Glory
the first half was a ball of cheese but i loved all of the over top action!! great ending!

SnakeEyes
It's out on DVD and I'm probably gonna get it soon for Christmas or something. Should be cool!

Morning_Glory
i want it too...but Im broke sad

SnakeEyes
Thus the joy of Christmas... where other people get things for you. big grin

mrbumble
It's in my netflix queue as we speak (or type, if you prefer). I thought it sounded cool when it came out and I still do. Bad box office don't equal bad movie.

SnakeEyes
BUMP

Any other fans of this movie? I still think it's a neat flick.

I like the Sci-Fi/Action stuff and I thought this was an entertaining movie.

JaehSkywalker
COOLIO!!

this movie is very good...

lordofwar
Best Michael Bay movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.