The Death Star in ROTS?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dms6117
Do you think we are going to see any mention of the Death Star in Episode III like we did in AOTC, or maybe a quick shot of the Death Star being built?

Lord Banshee
Rumor has it we see Darth Vader, Palpatine and captain Tarkin watching the beginning stages of the Death Star

bwill00
Its not a rumor its true we will see it being built. i got a box of cheese nips that says mustufar is the industrial planet that makes the materials for the deathstar.

bilb
YUp, Death Star is in from all accounts

smoker4
Cheese nips???

Morridini
I am still hoping that this is a false rumour. It sounds terrible.

bilb
Why? We saw the plans in AOTC and we see the darn thing in ANH.. Its just one more way to bridge the gap between the 2 trilogies...

Cascador
It is only strange that if they begin building this one...it will take about 19 years that it is complete maybe a bit less...And the second one was at least operational in just a few years...

Imaginary
Yeah, that's what I was thinking...

bilb
Well I have asked the same thing many times and gotten different answers. The most common thought is that after building the first one, the second one would go quicker since they would have already done it once before....

Cascador
A LOT quicker don't you think?

bilb
Apparently so

Morridini
And to even make it weirder, the second one was even bigger. So after the first one got blown up, which had taken 19 years to build (if the rumours are true), they made another one twice the size in,what, 4 years? I just think that gets too stupid even for Star Wars.

bilb
eh, suspension of disbelief i guess cool

maboy
I just remembered that in a star wars book I read, I think it was "Jedi Apprentice" Im not sure, they showed an already built Death Star (not The Death Star) inside a star cluster. So maybe it does take a lot of time to build a Death Star, I just guess they started building the second one not many years after the first one.
I know im taking references from the EU but its something to think about

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Morridini
And to even make it weirder, the second one was even bigger. So after the first one got blown up, which had taken 19 years to build (if the rumours are true), they made another one twice the size in,what, 4 years? I just think that gets too stupid even for Star Wars.

Unless of course always two there were.....
They could've built the two over the 19 yrs...
I mean....Who was gonna tell everyone about the second one...
The Ewoks?

Cascador
It's actually another reason...a stupid reason which has nothing to do with the story why there are two death stars.
George Lucas didn't know star wars was going to be a hit, so to be sure he blew the death star up so it wouldn't have an open ending cause he had more films in mind. If he was sure he could make ESB and ROTJ than the deathstar would not have been blown up and always be there to the end of ROTJ...it would just be the same death star, which would be cool to the story in my opinion. ANH would have been darker.

Sadako of Girth
In ROTJ the death star was originally gonna be "Imperial city" (Coruscant) just like the Ewoks were gonna be the wookies on Kashyyk... Cop out central....!

Cascador
actually that was after the idea of the death star not being destroyed...the first idea, was that Luke, Vader and the Emperor were in a lava cave under the imperial palace, later it moved to the imperial palace itself and then to the death star

Sadako of Girth
Ahhh well. There y'go.... smile

Cascador
that was when the drafts were written of ROTJ...the idea of the remaining of the death star was even before A new hope came out

bilb
Oh man, the original dragt of ROTJ had some downright silly sh!t in it. The Ewoks look like a masterpiece comapred to some of the crap he came up with...

BAILY
It was all the drugs Lucas was experimenting with in the 70's.... the "dope" and the "feel goods"

RogueGambitdare
I read something about a second deatstar being bulit at the same time as the first one.
I think it was for backup in case the other one got destroyed.

RogueGambitdare
I've read so many star wars books I don't remember which one.

RogueGambitdare
It had to be one of the really old one though. 'Cause I think I got it from my Grandma.

bilb
That would be EU tho no expression

maboy
Originally posted by Cascador
It's actually another reason...a stupid reason which has nothing to do with the story why there are two death stars.
George Lucas didn't know star wars was going to be a hit, so to be sure he blew the death star up so it wouldn't have an open ending cause he had more films in mind. If he was sure he could make ESB and ROTJ than the deathstar would not have been blown up and always be there to the end of ROTJ...it would just be the same death star, which would be cool to the story in my opinion. ANH would have been darker.

I agree with this

bilb
Well yeah, obviously. The point is to make it fit within the context of the saga.

ctsketch
consider Death Star I the prototype, it takes years of development and testing, but the production model Death Star II can be finished in a small fraction of the time, remember Death Star II was not even fully built in ROTJ

bilb
Thats the answer I've been given....

tpaquin
Originally posted by Cascador

Lucas made the decision to move the Death Star to ANH from ROTJ. His original plan was to have it only in ROTJ, but he felt that the ANH story lackededge, so he pushed it forward, so you're semi-right, and there would have been no ending to ANH if the Death Star hadn't blown up, and I don't think it would have sold as well.

My personal opinion is that for teh first one, they concentrated on the superstructure, building housing, bathrooms, dinette sets, bottomless pits, et cetera. When putting living quarters into a bulding, it takes almost ten years. For a small moon, it would take even longer. The weapon was then added as a secondary feature. The second death star was fairly rough and hollow, with its updated weaponry being its prinmary function. Because it didn't have the finishing of the first one, it was done much more quickly.

bilb
Originally posted by tpaquin

My personal opinion is that for teh first one, they concentrated on the superstructure, building housing, bathrooms, dinette sets, bottomless pits, et cetera. When putting living quarters into a bulding, it takes almost ten years.

Bathrooms - havent you ever wondered how your average storn trooper takes a piss? stick out tongue

Dinettes - for cozy little dinners before enforcing your rep as the scurge of the galaxy... laughing

J.M FcThumbs-Up
I agree with ctsketch, cascador and Bilb on this subject!
Furthermore, I think that the Emperor was into fast delivery of masses of buildingmaterial and pushing the building-time to superspeed sessions.
(As for EU back-up, just read/look at Shadows o.t Empire-comic/book).
And also to understate this explanation, go and watch ROTJ again and watch the very first scene as Vader boards the Death Star.

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Oh and ahhhhh to add; When you design and build something for the very first time, it goes with all the errors, breaks and all the little delays and you learn from it.
It takes a long road before you get to your first end-product.

When you know how to build something(you've done before), it's much easier to do so and you can update a little bit in much and much less time.
To give an example> look at the founding of the first car, look at the making of the very first SW-movie etc. etc. etc.

adamrubin
the death star is cool

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Originally posted by adamrubin
the death star is cool

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

darthmaul1
perhapes the empire got halfway through the first deathstar and then decided to start the 2nd one we do not know.
But what would be really cool is if Obi-wan caught a glimps of the plans for the death star and thats how he clues into it in epIV.

smoker4
the death star is cool

The death boobie is better smile

Red Superfly
the death star is cool

Fool! It has semi-graviton rupulsor radiators, powerred with 4.21 Jiggawatts created from a flux capacitor! Therefore it would be, ahem, LUKEwarm.

*sniggers*

>.>

*runs*

bilb
laughing

carnage04
Well, I think it is possible that the first death star may have had several attempts at being built.

Four years into it.....

All systems look to be a go. Try the weapon functions.

*BOOM*

"Told you I didn't want to be on that thing in trial phases" - Tarkin

Time to start from scratch. Uhm, how many geonosians were on that thing when it blew?

Carnage

Uber_God
it would take a bloody long time to uild something that big

Vympel
Obviously not that long. At best, the Death Star II could only have started construction after the first one was destroyed- the opening crawl of ROTJ specifically states that the Empire had "begun" construction on a second, even more powerful Death Star- that makes the idea that they built it concurrent with the first out of the question.

Besides, it shouldn't take long for Star Wars. This is the Galactic Empire, which controls "a million systems" (Grand Moff Tarkin, ANH novelization). They have plenty of resources and they obviously have the technology. Frankly, even 19 years to build the Death Star is outrageously short. But hey, it's sci-fi.

Uber_God
and just think
it takes us about 10years to build a friggin building
+ and extra 5 years before for planning

------------------------------------------------------------------

i guess they would have the resources and man power to build it that fast

J.M FcThumbs-Up
I'll stick with my expl.(page2)...
Good thinking Vympel.

darktim1
I read that it is the outer and inner pieces of the sphere being built.

bilb
Originally posted by Vympel
Obviously not that long. At best, the Death Star II could only have started construction after the first one was destroyed- the opening crawl of ROTJ specifically states that the Empire had "begun" construction on a second, even more powerful Death Star- that makes the idea that they built it concurrent with the first out of the question.

Good point

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Good point Bilb....on your good point.

bilb
laughing

stefaan
Well, practice makes perfect, doesn't it?

havocpvc
Originally posted by Morridini
acually it took alot less time build because it wasent completely destroyed ...if u pay att. in rotj it shows the death star being rebuilt and u can see the damage takein from the previous battlesmile

DCLXVI
What the f**k?
No, it's a different Death Star, havocpvc. wink

Well, it's been confimed by the Comic - the DS is in. mad

I completely agree with Vympel....wink

bilb
I thought that was common knowledge DC..

Milosz006
I think what happened with the Death Star is that the first one took a long time to build, not that the second was built fast. Think about it. Sidious believes every Jedi to be dead. He's been waiting for this moment for hundreds (thousands?) of years. He doesn't really give a phuck if the DS takes 19 or 30 years to be built. After Luke surfaces he gets scared and has them rush the second one, which is apparrent in the first scenes of ROTJ with Vader talking to the dude in charge.

bilb
mmm, maybe but I dont think so. He never really considered Luke a threat once he decided to try & turn him. He was quitre sure that he could turn Luke, which ended up being his undoing. I still say that the second one was completed so fast simply because they had done it once before so the construction went more smoothly. That and the fact that the Geonosians built DS 1 while stormtroopers built DS 2. They may not be able to shoot worth a damn but I'm betting opposable thumbs are more condusive to construction work than insects...

Anakin_the_Hutt
Hold on...the second Death Star was never completed. It was armed and operational but it wasn't fully completed. Maybe it would take another 3-4 years to finish building the damn thing.

And MAYBE someting was going on that delayed the first Death Star to be constructed without distraction.

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Originally posted by J.M FcThumbs-Up
I agree with ctsketch, cascador and Bilb on this subject!
Furthermore, I think that the Emperor was into fast delivery of masses of buildingmaterial and pushing the building-time to superspeed sessions.
(As for EU back-up, just read/look at Shadows o.t Empire-comic/book).
And also to understate this explanation, go and watch ROTJ again and watch the very first scene as Vader boards the Death Star.

again....to quote myself and others!

wink

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Originally posted by J.M FcThumbs-Up
Oh and ahhhhh to add; When you design and build something for the very first time, it goes with all the errors, breaks and all the little delays and you learn from it.
It takes a long road before you get to your first end-product.

When you know how to build something(you've done before), it's much easier to do so and you can update a little bit in much and much less time.
To give an example> look at the founding of the first car, look at the making of the very first SW-movie etc. etc. etc.

and again I add....

wink wink smokin'

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Originally posted by stefaan
Well, practice makes perfect, doesn't it?

You are absolutely right!!!

Batman316
isn't it logical to assume that they were building 2?

I mean you never know when some hotshot is going to get classy with a torp.....

seriously.... if you were going to go to all the bother of building 1, wouldn't you have a plan b?

ImperialPEZ
Hey all, I had an idea that could explain the time-frame issues with the building of the two Death Stars:

IT WAS A TRAP.

They built their first, "technological terror" to "keep the systems in line". It was to be their ultimate weapon. Unfortunately, one "young Rebel" spoiled their plans.

Now you're Palpy, and the you see that the Rebellion is growing stronger, plus there is a new Jedi on the block. You are trying not to lose the power you have gained. So much like in the old days, you manipulate the situation for your bidding....

You,

A. Start construction on a new Death Star, getting it to a rough skeleton.

B. Make sure that the Weapons systems are operational in a short amount of time.

C. Understaff the heck out of the project once B. happens, so your own men don't know what's going on.

D. See to it that the plans end up in the hands of the Bothans (kill a few too, so it all looks legitimate).

E. Show up yourself, so it will be an irresistable trap for the "insignificant rebellion."

You don't need to take nearly as long to build a Death Star that is designed as bait (and protected by a shield from Endor), as you do for "the ultimate weapon in the universe" that is designed to be safe from full scale bombardment.

*whew*

macgeek2005
The first Death Star is being built at the end. My guess is 3 or 4 years after ROTS the Death Star Is finished. All we know is it's finished in ANH, we don't know how quickly though.

Darkart99

SithSpy
agreed

macgeek2005
I have a map of the galaxy in the Star Wars Roleplaying game core rulebook. Mustafar isn't even on it. sucks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.