Midichlorian Tranfusion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mist
I was wondering, with the Grievous comic, whether transferring blood from a Jedi would give the recipient midichlorians? Since they exist in your cells, if you transferred blood from a heavy midichlorian person (ie Jedi) to a low midichlorian person, would that give them greater force affinity?

Is this how it is possible for Grievous to fight Jedi, in that he can 'use the force' to a certain extent (sensing a Jedi's attack)?

Any thoughts?

Echuu
i dont think he can use the force- he was just trained by dooku

Darth Plagueis
In Star Wars Adventure vol.3 (comics in same style as Clone Wars cartoon) there is a story where Grievous takes on both Durge and Assaj Ventriss in order to prove himself worthy to Dooku, and while he defeats them both, never displays any force powers......

Mist
I dont mean force powers, i mean force sense or something.

Darth Plagueis
It might be possible, but I don't think so with Grievous....gathering his hate for Jedi, he would probably die before getting a transfusion from one anyway....

Mist
didnt you read the comic? he used sifo dyas's blood.....
(this is on the assumption that the comic is how grievous becomes what he is....not that i believe it, but it its real....)

bilb
:sigh: Lucas based midis off of mitochondria and they cant be transferred, question answered

ArthasKnight
You sigh as if this is common knowledge.

Mist
yes, i didnt know that.

ArthasKnight
Nor did I.

Alatopel
Take middle school science, then. That's where I figured it out - the names are way too similar to ignore the correlations. And if it dosn't sink in then, take high school, then college, and so on, and so forth, until you get tired of the same junk being shoved into your head.

Mist
or..maybe...i could not.....as ive never heard of that bacteria crap....and i dont want to...and maybe you could pull your head outta your ass and not give crap to us about something that isnt obvious to others.

ArthasKnight
Agreed, don't be such a jerk. We're not all science experts here.

Mist
i think the term is science geeks...

ArthasKnight
I was trying to be nice. stick out tongue

Mist
i wasnt, the guys got 8 posts to his name. and hes been on since july 04.

ArthasKnight
Ah, a hidden noob...

bilb
You dont have to be a science geek for this one, Lucas has expained it ad nauseum. And I wasnt doing the sigh for the midi thing per se , cause I know it can be bit complicated, rather for the 14,000 thread on why GG is or is not force sensitive. Didnt mean to offendembarrasment

OK brief explanation( i really thought this was common knowledge, sorry my bad) mitochondria are microscopic parts of each individual cell. They determine alot of our genetic makeup. Each person's is unique and is commonly used these days for DNA testing in crime solving.Just because you get a transfusion does not mean you begin to show characteristics of that persons genetic makeup, it just doesnt work that way. The difference is that the # of mitochondria you posess is in relation to the # of cells in you r body where as Lucas was saying that the # of midis varies from person to person and that is what determines their strength with the force. Hope that helps smile

ArthasKnight
Ah, whatever. It's cool. I'm not looking to make enemies here.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Mist
didnt you read the comic? he used sifo dyas's blood.....
(this is on the assumption that the comic is how grievous becomes what he is....not that i believe it, but it its real....)

Ah but you are quoting comics and not movie Mist.....

Miti's arent transferable.........

play nice men and no flamage of the billb , we have indeed discussed Grevious's force sensitivities alot. She wasnt flaming you, believe me you'd know it if she did. evil face

ArthasKnight
You're one to talk of playing nice, JP. stick out tongue

Jedi Priestess
laughing out loud I dont bite unless someone yanks my chain Art and you know it. wink

ArthasKnight
Indeed, and I have seen the fates of said chain-pullers and it is not often pretty. laughing out loud

Jedi Priestess
heh evil face

Mist
i wasnt making this thread specifically for grievous, i made it for blood transfusions in general. but i think its been answered.

thanks btw bilb. when did lucas mention that? i mustve dozed off....

bilb
He has talked about it alot, esp on the TPM commentary...

carnage04
Seriously, whatever arrogant fool debunked the idea of midi transfer by saying they are like Mitochondria and mitochondria can't be transferred is a fool.

When you get a blood transfusion, you get cells from a different person. Those cells contain (SHOCKER!) mitochondria. Of course, those get used up and die. Oh, no wait, they divide and create new cells with similar genetic makeup.

And also, in response to not "taking on traits" tell that to an A- patient that just recieved a B+ transfer. He certainly won't last long as he now has two distinctly different blood types, one of which he wasn't used to.

Obviously, though, midi transfusion is not possible in our SW universe or people would be milking jedi for blood all the time. Great question, POOR scientific explanations.

Carnage, PhD in Biochemistry

Mist
Originally posted by bilb
He has talked about it alot, esp on the TPM commentary...

that would explain....i dont have TPM on dvd... embarrasment

im waiting for prequel box set....

bilb
Originally posted by carnage04

And also, in response to not "taking on traits" tell that to an A- patient that just recieved a B+ transfer. He certainly won't last long as he now has two distinctly different blood types, one of which he wasn't used to.

That has nothing to do with mitochodria and everything to do with incompatible blood types. Its not like if a person gets a transfusion their hair or eyes change color or they take on new personlity traits. They have a reaction and sometimes die simply due to to totally different blood types which their body is not used to and rejects...
Bilb, Registered Nurse

Uber_God
Seriously, whatever arrogant fool debunked the idea of midi transfer by saying they are like Mitochondria and mitochondria can't be transferred is a fool.

When you get a blood transfusion, you get cells from a different person. Those cells contain (SHOCKER!) mitochondria. Of course, those get used up and die. Oh, no wait, they divide and create new cells with similar genetic makeup.

Obviously, though, midi transfusion is not possible in our SW universe or people would be milking jedi for blood all the time. Great question, POOR scientific explanations.

Um how many people read what you just said and already knew it?
thats right bugger all
So why would the people of the SW universe know about it and who would try to take on a jedi?

Mist
hehehe....i would love to see sidious set up shop for milking jedi and sucking out their midi's...hehehe

bilb
As a postnote, there are lots more items in a cell than mitochondria so the patient who reeives the incorrect bolod type is most likely to be reacting to one of or a combination of those items and not the mitochondia themselves...

And BTW Carnage, no need to get nasty. I was trying to explain it as best I could. If you have definitive knowledge on the sunject by all means share it, but dont be elitist...

Uber_God
i reckon he would train sith for it stick out tongue
hes evil enough to do so

Mist
wow, if i knew this thread would lead to BS with members, i wouldnta made it.

Uber_God
eh mist?

Mist
Bull Sh*t with members. too much bashing these days....

Uber_God
oh you mean carnage bashing whoever made the thread?

Mist
no. the other guy on the first page being a smart ass about going to school and now bilb and carnage going on...

Uber_God
Originally posted by ArthasKnight
Ah, a hidden noob...

arthas said it
so dont worry about the little science geek

bilb
no. the other guy on the first page being a smart ass about going to school and now bilb and carnage going on...

Eh, I'm not going on about anything, I just dont take kindly to being called an 'arrogant fool' , In case you boys havent noticed I have been trying to play nicley lately, but that was over the line IMHO..
Oh well, back on topic...
What was the topic again? stick out tongue

Imaginary
Bilb play nice you're upsetting Imag cry

carnage04
Ha, I won't go on in a more in depth science related discussion, but I feel I could prove the mitochondria thing with 3580395 lines of text. Anyway, I thought the topic was pretty darn interesting and hated to see it go up in flames due to some possibly misinformed science answer. I apologize to those I offended, but I felt as if the original poster with an original idea was being mocked.

How about changing it from midi transfusion to heart transplant? Heart cells contain midichlorians (mitochondria) from the original host, and tend to divide and reform according to the original genetic makeup of the heart donor. Would there have been a run on organ transplants after the geonosis battle? Would you have SOME force powers in you? Very interesting idea that really makes me think further that Lucas blew it with the whole midichlorian thing. Opens up waaay too many cans of worms.

Carnage

bilb
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mist
meh...seems pretty standard these days that every new thread goes off topic.....even if it might be worth talking about....sadangel

Uber_God

How about changing it from midi transfusion to heart transplant? Heart cells contain midichlorians (mitochondria) from the original host, and tend to divide and reform according to the original genetic makeup of the heart donor. Would there have been a run on organ transplants after the geonosis battle? Would you have SOME force powers in you? Very interesting idea that really makes me think further that Lucas blew it with the whole midichlorian thing. Opens up waaay too many cans of worms.

Carnage

Sorry i have to sound the nerd on this but

In ep1 i think it said anakin had 40,000 midichlorians
thats a big number but you have billions of cells in your body which is a bigger number if you know math like i do.
That above means that if you get a few jedi cells it doesnt mean you will get the midichlorians

And if you do get them it doesnt mean your directly linked to the force

Imaginary
meh...seems pretty standard these days that every new thread goes off topic.....even if it might be worth talking about....sadangel

Oh Mist... hug I like your thread that's why I didn't derail it like I usually do.

bilb
Originally posted by Uber_God

thats a big number but you have billions of cells in your body which is a bigger number if you know math like i do.
That above means that if you get a few jedi cells it doesnt mean you will get the midichlorians

Makes sense to me...... cool

Mist
Originally posted by Uber_God

sorry to drag this thread back up, but i was thinking about it before...

is the 40 000 the exact amount of midi's anakin has? coz how do they work that out? quigon only took a small sample of his blood, how can that tell them he has 40 000. i thought that number was the concentration level, not the amount of actual midichlorians....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.