Stormtroopers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Uber_God
Are the storm troopers clone troopers?

Morridini
Yes.

RogueGambitdare
no, not in the last three.

Uber_God
well what use is that?
yes then no

um any1 can tell me if they are or arent?
with a little evidence, it usually helps

Morridini
Originally posted by RogueGambitdare
no, not in the last three.

Yes they are.

This has already been discussed. Here is a quote provided in another thread, from Star Wars Insider:

"The response goes into the usual "they didn't know they were going to be clones in the 70s" answer, and then says the interesting thing:
However, there is also an in-universe explanation, provided by none other than George Lucas himself. During the productions of Episode III, Lucas told crewmembers that the stormtroopers seen in Episode IV are made from multiple sources. That is, they're not all Jango clones. By that
time in the saga, other clone hosts have been selected.

Lucas intimated that the selection proces has become more political than strategic in some cases - a highly placed officer's cousin might be selected over a more capable specimen, for example. The politicization results in less-than-ideal candidates, which could explain some of the embarrasing marksmanship witnessed in the original trilogy."

Uber_God
Originally posted by Morridini
Yes they are.

This has already been discussed. Here is a quote provided in another thread, from Star Wars Insider:

"The response goes into the usual "they didn't know they were going to be clones in the 70s"

But he wrote Eps 1,2,3,4,5,6 in the 70s didnt he?

Morridini
No he didn't.
He only had the rough idea of how Anakins fate would turn out. Not the details.

Uber_God
hmmm seems stupid to write sequals if you dont know the full story

Smasandian
He knew the details but not the small little details. Most sequels are like that.
I thought that Stormtrooper went to an academy. In the expanded universe, wasnt Han Solo's past all about defecting from the Imperial Academy?. Also, didnt Kyp Durron take the Starcrusher and blew up a planet that house the Imperial Academy?Or was the academy just for officers?

Morridini
But in the case of the Stormtroopers and the Clonetroopers the movies and the EU collide. In the EU obviously all the Stormtroopers are normal humans, while in the movies they are clones.

Uber_God
Originally posted by Smasandian
He knew the details but not the small little details. Most sequels are like that.
I thought that Stormtrooper went to an academy. In the expanded universe, wasnt Han Solo's past all about defecting from the Imperial Academy?. Also, didnt Kyp Durron take the Starcrusher and blew up a planet that house the Imperial Academy?Or was the academy just for officers?

Expanded Universe is written by random people
i rely on movies for info

and the Imperial academy might have been a cloneing center

DCLXVI
Well, why post in the EU section then? confused
Recent EU authors have tried to keep continuity, saying: Yes and No.
Yes, there were/are Clones within the ranks of the Empire's Army and Naval Forces, but that there were also non-Clone Troopers who fought for the Empire as well, many as Stormtroopers and as Pilots, etc....
And, if you ask me, that sounds better than saying they were all just Clones....wink

Uber_God
it involves the storm troopers AND the clones

which is both trilogies

Force Adept
I think that alot of the clones from the clone army are going to be killed in the clone wars, so to keep up an army the Empire recruits others inbetween III and IV...

Just a guess though..

Ushgarak
Fact is, GL says they are Clones, and that overrides all else. There.

Force Adept
I didn't realise ol' GL had come out an said they were all clones. Mneh, makes no difference, plus makes more sense out of Leia saying to Luke, "Aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper?"

smile

DCLXVI
But that's stupid....really stupid....

mephistodesigns
in the EU, Han defected from being an imperial PILOT, not a stormtrooper. There are cases, even in the films, where stormtroopers are regular humans, or at least humans in stormtrooper armor. In ANH, Vader tells an officer to oversee the search for the escape pod "personally" so the commanding officer of those stormtroopers in the desert is actually human. So there must be cases here and there where a human may command clones as needed. And as for Kyle Kataarn, thats a video game, which has far less wait than even the novels. But after the days of the Empire's glory, the Remant no doubt started recruiting humans for stormtroopers since the New Republic surely found and eliminated any active cloning facilities.

jango fatt
Some are some don't.

Uber_God
Originally posted by mephistodesigns
in the EU, Han defected from being an imperial PILOT, not a stormtrooper. There are cases, even in the films, where stormtroopers are regular humans, or at least humans in stormtrooper armor. In ANH, Vader tells an officer to oversee the search for the escape pod "personally" so the commanding officer of those stormtroopers in the desert is actually human. So there must be cases here and there where a human may command clones as needed. And as for Kyle Kataarn, thats a video game, which has far less wait than even the novels. But after the days of the Empire's glory, the Remant no doubt started recruiting humans for stormtroopers since the New Republic surely found and eliminated any active cloning facilities.

look up
i did say crap about the EU how it can be inaccurate since only GL would know the full story

LanİeWindu™
I don't think they are ALL clones, no matter what George says, because he is just contradicting a crucial fact stated in A New Hope.

In said movie, Luke was wanting to go to the Imperial Academy, probably to become a trooper of some sort.

Maybe some are clones and some are regular Joe's that passed a test to shoot a blaster rifle and keep missing.

mephistodesigns
Originally posted by Uber_God
look up
i did say crap about the EU how it can be inaccurate since only GL would know the full story

Dude, we're in the EU thread, I just gave an EU answer. I'm not correcting you or anything. I'm just saying how Lucas' answer applies to the EU too and doesn't actually contradict it as some have pointed out. But thanks for the spirited response! I love those! wink

Uber_God
i said before tho

and this involves the clones of ep 2 and the troopers of the OT
dont be a dumbass, read the posts

LanİeWindu™
Don't bash people for their opinions UG.

Lucas is just trying to cover up his continuity errors.

mephistodesigns
Uber God you can go suck a *&^. You post in the EU thread, you want to know if the clones become the stormtroopers. You get a yes. You want evidence: watch the ROTS full trailer. People gave you evidence. Then the debate starts that is old as hell, "so what's up with EU, do the film explanations work, or did the authors mess it up?". We discussed this freely, since it is a public forum after all. You got your answer and then you start insulting people who have been here for a long time because you don't get what's going on? WTF? god *&^% noobs, always screwing up the forums. March 2005, gee you didn't sign up to maybe download and discuss the trailer did you? F%^&ing noobs!

LanİeWindu™
Come on meph...don't stoop to his level of immaturity.

mephistodesigns
And Lance...I heard they were toying around with the idea (for the DVD's) to make all the troopers CGI so they're all the same size. Obviously they didn't, but did you hear that one? Sounds like a good idea in retrospect. Because he obviously is just covering up a big continuity error. Or maybe he did know they should be clones back then, but simply never thought he'd make 1-3 and thus didn't worry about it. Plus they probably didn't have the money to actually spend time and get a bunch of people all the same height and body type. Or, he just thought this whole clone thing was cool and decided they'd be stormtroopers someday...either way, I think he should just go in and fix it. Better use of time than new musical sequences anyhow! laughing

mephistodesigns

Uber_God
wow
its so sad that 1 person will get so upset over a few simple words.
i only read abotu 2 lines then gave up.

And am i ment to give a shit that you found this site a year and a half before i did?

LanİeWindu™
And Lance...I heard they were toying around with the idea (for the DVD's) to make all the troopers CGI so they're all the same size. Obviously they didn't, but did you hear that one? Sounds like a good idea in retrospect. Because he obviously is just covering up a big continuity error. Or maybe he did know they should be clones back then, but simply never thought he'd make 1-3 and thus didn't worry about it. Plus they probably didn't have the money to actually spend time and get a bunch of people all the same height and body type. Or, he just thought this whole clone thing was cool and decided they'd be stormtroopers someday...either way, I think he should just go in and fix it. Better use of time than new musical sequences anyhow! laughing

Yeah, I heard that somewhere.

I like how they are diverse though, and not the same person over and over again. Like I said, some should be clones, others should just be from the Academy.

mephistodesigns
I was always under the impression that the academy was for pilots. Luke wanted to be a pilot, Biggs defected and he's a pilot. Han defected and he's known for his piloting skills. So I just sorta always thought they were for pilots only... Apparently, with the PT around, this must be the case now. But, there was that guy I mentioned earlier who suits up to look for the escape pod on Tatooine. So maybe there were others occasionally. And don't clones take a while? I mean, sure they're not in that big a fight with the rebellion as with the separatists, so maybe clones last longer...
Honestly, I kinda like Lucas' explanation. I laughed the first time I heard it for the obvious grasping for straws that it was, but it does kinda work. And honestly, probably how it would end up working, when you look at all the nepitism in our own governments. Which would then mean that the Academy is for pilots and officers as others have mentioned. Cuz the officers sure aren't clones....they're all Brits....but they aren't clones. big grin

Uber_God
wonder why they gave up on attack droids

many clones = many people
many people = need food
many food = shitload money

LanİeWindu™
Has anyone noticed all the clones are Kiwi's? eek!

Uber_God
i thought they were all african, seeing that they had a kiwi to clone off stick out tongue

mephistodesigns
Seriously! But not in the OT, because they're new hosts wink laughing

mephistodesigns
wow
its so sad that 1 person will get so upset over a few simple words.
i only read abotu 2 lines then gave up.

And am i ment to give a shit that you found this site a year and a half before i did?

You only read two lines? Really? because I don't call you a noob until line 7, which is, consequently, the LAST two lines.

Owned.

LanİeWindu™
wonder why they gave up on attack droids

many clones = many people
many people = need food
many food = shitload money

Too true...but then again, buying the parts for the droids and repairing them costs money, especially when you think you can always grow another clone.

Maybe the OT clones don't need food, we never see 'em eat.

mephistodesigns
Sorry Lance, couldn't resist....

mephistodesigns

Uber_God
The droids went down fast but atleast they could kill something.

Plus new material for droids wouldnt be needed, salvage the destroyed droids

LanİeWindu™
plus those droids go down easy as all hell! That's a LOT of repairing. Could you imagine if Microsoft was making them? whole batallions would go AWOL!!!

They go to shoot at some Rebels...then uh oh "Bluescreen of death".

mephistodesigns
OT stormtroopers, when you absolutely have to NOT kill every motherf@#$er in the room, accept no substitues!

Can hit the broadside of the DEATH STAR!! laughing

mephistodesigns

Paola
mephisto: watch your language, please

mephistodesigns
sorry, I was quoting Jackie Brown, when they talk about the AK-47 killing everyone in the room, but storm troopers don't....yeah...

waverly94
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
Too true...but then again, buying the parts for the droids and repairing them costs money, especially when you think you can always grow another clone.

Maybe the OT clones don't need food, we never see 'em eat.

Ummm, I think we do see them eating on Camino or Kamino or whatever the Hell it is called.

sneeky_ninja
Originally posted by waverly94
Ummm, I think we do see them eating on Camino or Kamino or whatever the Hell it is called.

um you do know OT stands for original trilogy. and we never see them eating in the OT. they were eating in the PT.

oh yah and for the person that posted about kyle katarn being only a game character your wrong there is a book called Dark Forces.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.