Shark rips a guy a new one!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SlipknoT
Geoffrey Brazier, the skipper of a pleasure cruiser, was snorkeling with two tourists when he was attacked Saturday. He died instantly off the Abrolhos Islands, about 400 kilometers (250 miles) north of the Western Australia state capital, Perth, police said. No one else was injured.

"The 26-year-old man was bitten in half by the six-meter animal and death seemed to be instantaneous," police Inspector George Putland said.

An air and sea search of the area 60 kilometers (37 miles) west of the coastal town of Geraldton on Sunday failed to find the shark or human remains.

Government fisheries officer Rory McAuley said authorities wanted to kill the shark, suspected to be either a great white or tiger, to safeguard the public.

Residents of the area said the killer was far larger than sharks usually found there. The attack was the first to occur off the west coast since two sharks killed a 29-year-old surfer south of Perth in July.

The 13 crew and passengers disembarked Sunday at Geraldton where they were questioned by authorities.

The fatality is the first in Australian waters since December, when an 18-year-old surfer was bitten in half by a five-meter (16-foot) great white shark off a beach in the southern city of Adelaide. A week earlier, a shark killed a 38-year-old diver spear fishing on the Great Barrier Reef off northeast Australia.

eek! Thats ****in huge!

Deano
its his own fault...swimming in bastard shark infested waters!
BLOODY HELL! well what do they expect
its sad but its a deathwish really

GCG
poor shark ; i would expect them to kill it if it roamed the streets and attacked people as they wauited for the bus, But the shark was in its territory looking for something to eat .

WindDancer
A shark attack has to be one of the most scariest things in the world. Poor fella....

BackFire
People are stupid for swimming in the water in that area of the world.

I have to agree with WD, must be one of the most terrifying things a person can go through.

Reborn Again
Me no likey sharks! Me deafly afraid!

I know the pics a fake, but according to this story JAWS may be out there!!!

debbiejo
Oh wow,,,How awful and I'm getting scuba certified in 2 weeks... no

SlipknoT
Originally posted by debbiejo
Oh wow,,,How awful and I'm getting scuba certified in 2 weeks... no haha evil face

tabby999
yeah, i think people who swim in areas they know to be dangerous are idiots just asking for trouble.

did you know, totally off topic, that lions eat people because humans have heaps of salt in their systems, that way the lions dont have to eat other things to get their salt...

MC Mike
Thatnks for that piece of info tabby. blink

ChickinMeat
well if it was a great white, then the reason it bit him could be because it was curious. Obviously they dont have hands to touch things, so if they want to check it out, then they bite it.

I think its dispicible that they kill the sharks, there territory, they were there first.

people need to be educated better about sharks, not just kill them all. Jaws has given sharks a bad name.

ragesRemorse
Dont those sharks know that we are the top of the food chain? What the hell is the matter with those silly sharks, just because they are sharks does give them the right to constantly bit people in half.

bilb
Yeah go explain that to em would ya? laughing

shockimebones
Have you ever encountered a shark? What advice would you give to those who encounter a shark?

Imperial_Samura
Its a sad thing, but also its strange how much the media blows it out of proportion. The waters around Australia aren't nearly as shark infested as it sounds, this was a freak accident, I just hope it doesn't lead to some manner of shark witch hunt.

Reborn Again
No, the reason the shark bit him is because the shark thought he was a nice, tasty seal... or something equalivant. Sharks don't like the taste of human's very much. However, as we are ever depleting their food supply, they must come close in shore to feed.

Does anyone know the only enemy of a shark is?

Imperial_Samura
Dolphin?

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Reborn Again
No, the reason the shark bit him is because the shark thought he was a nice, tasty seal... or something equalivant. Sharks don't like the taste of human's very much. However, as we are ever depleting their food supply, they must come close in shore to feed.

Does anyone know the only enemy of a shark is?

Enemies of sharks are Salt Water Crocs, other sharks, Orcas and dolphins. Oh and humans, I guess that's the point you were going for.

Actually this is an odd attack for two reasons, one being that the shark was so damn big, the second being that the majority of shark attacks occur at the surface and not near the bottom.

I have to wonder what these folks were doing to be surprised by such a large fish. Was the water murky? If so they shouldn't have been spear-fishing (which I believe is the case) in murky water. If the water was clear, why wasn't anyone paying attention to what was going on around them while they were in waters known to be frequented by sharks?

I feel bad for the family, but this is just nature's way of culling the herd.

Imperial_Samura
I agree with you how odd it sounds, I have actually been in that area, and know that it is quiet unusual. But then its possible this shark was sick or something (a number of shark attacks in Australia have ended up showing a shark in distress).

Linkalicious
what's the big deal about this?

Congrats for this guy, sure he's dead, but he's a man...he went out and took a risk to have a good time. The adrenaline he must have felt moments before being biten in half has got to kick the crap out of the adrenaline I feel when I catch a bass on my pocket fisherman.

No different than a guy sky diving and not having the parachute open.

bilb
no expression

Napalm
Wow its like real life jaws

ragesRemorse
Jaws was entertaining though, this is just worth a smile at the most.

bilb
It is a tragic thing. I feel badly for the victims family & friends but they should NOT kill teh shark. It is animal simply doing what it was designed to do. We (humans) interfere with animal habitats on a daily basis. When you do that accidents are bound to happen.

Reborn Again
Originally posted by Linkalicious
what's the big deal about this?

Congrats for this guy, sure he's dead, but he's a man...he went out and took a risk to have a good time. The adrenaline he must have felt moments before being biten in half has got to kick the crap out of the adrenaline I feel when I catch a bass on my pocket fisherman.

No different than a guy sky diving and not having the parachute open.

You're as heartless as your sig, you know that?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by bilb
We (humans) interfere with animal habitats on a daily basis. .

thats why i feel justice has been served when one of the underdogs get a point. If i die by being mauled or eaten, then it would have been my own fault, and atleast one of the little big guys can have some kind of satisfaction from venting there hate towards humans, while they are digesting me.

Linkalicious

I'm sorry I don't fake concern over a person I don't know personally.

If you're so caring and heart felt...why not send the family a card? or go to the funeral?

Who cares? It's life....people die. It's better to die doing something exciting than to die of old age.

ragesRemorse

Who cares? It's life....people die. It's better to die doing something exciting than to die of old age.

Shit, if i had to go. I owuldnt mind being ripped in two by a shark. I mean, how much more intense does it get?

Linkalicious
You guys hear about the Australian girl who lost her arm a year or two ago surfing?

She said that when the shark bit her arm off he did it with such force and so much speed that she didn't even feel any pain.

I bet this guy didn't feel much pain before he died. There would be too much pain for your brain to process at one time...you'd go into shock and die quickly.

SlipknoT
I'm sorry I don't fake concern over a person I don't know personally.

If you're so caring and heart felt...why not send the family a card? or go to the funeral?

Who cares? It's life....people die. It's better to die doing something exciting than to die of old age. thumb up

bilb

Something exciting? Like sitting in front of your computer posting on message boards?

BlackC@t
Poor guy sad

BlackC@t

yes
Just as I was beginning to like you, Link.

Even if I haven't personally met someone, I still care.

Linkalicious
Originally posted by bilb
Something exciting? Like sitting in front of your computer posting on message boards?

I said DIE doing something exciting. Last time I checked I wasn't putting myself at any risk by being on this message board...though i'm convinced Slipknot may very well be a serial killer. shifty

If the most exciting thing I do before I die is sit in front of my computer posting on a message board....then I'd prefer to never be born at all.

Originally posted by BlackC@t
yes
Just as I was beginning to like you, Link.

Even if I haven't personally met someone, I still care.

Hey, it's ok....I like you for who you are, I'm not going to demand that you like me in return.

If the best thing you can do is go on a message board and say "I still care" how much caring does that actually show?

wuTa
why the hell is link being attacked...all he said is that the guy went out with a bang....that dude knew what he was getting into when he put on that scuba gear.... he had the same thoughts in the back of his head that every other scuba diva has "i hope i dont see a shark today"...he knew the risks of going in the water...its no different than when someone puts on there helmet to ride a motorcycle

SlipknoT
though i'm convinced Slipknot may very well be a serial killer. shifty

ermm

Alpha Centauri
Hahahahaha too funny.

Nothing teaches the lesson of human frailty like getting obliterated by another animal in THEIR territory, which is ironically 75% of the Earth.

-AC

Ignite
I dont know why ppl make such a big deal about shark attacks...
if ur gonna go swimming in Shark infested waters then u deserve it really...well kinda...
The guy was in the sharks way...and they actually tried to find the shark...hahah what about all the murders...spend some time on them instead of a shark that was doing what it was born to do...

Alpha Centauri
They would kill that shark if they found it.

Yet the people around the world skinning animals alive for their fur are perfectly ok.

-AC

amity75
THe real person to feel sorry for is the person who finds the guys remains on the beach.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.