To buy, or not to buy an 'i Pod'?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ou Be Low hoo
I don't know if this has been done before, if it has...delete away!

Anyway, I'm currently caught between a rock and stone on whether or not to buy an i Pod or just get a regular MP3 player...Do they do pretty much the same thing or is there some undeniable reason why I should get an i Pod?

I checked out my friend's i Pod, and it certainly is a sweet looking baby...I love the way you just scroll around that circle to flick through songs...Also, how long does it take to download one of my CDs onto the i Pod?

I don't know much about this sort of technology, so speak to me like I'm an idiot...

Thanks.

room #99
I bought an ipod a few days ago..mini/ blue. Its great!!!!

Miss Unknown
I've got a pink one (my dad chose the colour - he didn't know what I liked) and I love it.

Ou Be Low hoo: It downloads CDs really fast.

furryman
the mini ones are pointless... can't fit much; for a little more you can get so much more space

Darth Revan
I agree with furryman here... You can get a 40 gig for not too much more than a mini if I'm not mistaken. I have an iPod myself. It's very nice, though I can't say that I would have actually bought one. (won it in a raffle) The biggest problem with iPods is that they only have a battery life of about 4 hours, which can get really irritating at times. From what I hear there are several MP3 players on the market for slightly cheaper that store just as much music and have longer battery life.

Deathblow
Yeah the Zen Creative is supposed to be fantabulous. Nothing beats an iPod though, it just looks so sexy in it's little black slidey case. Mines a 20 gig, didn't want to get the 40 gig because it's so chunky, I may as well have just clipped my old discman to my belt.

Have to say though, from 4 hours of charge my iPod can go non-stop for about 7-8 hours, as long as I keep the backlight off. Nowhere near the supposed 12 hours it says on the box, but still.

furryman
Originally posted by Deathblow
Yeah the Zen Creative is supposed to be fantabulous. Nothing beats an iPod though, it just looks so sexy in it's little black slidey case. Mines a 20 gig, didn't want to get the 40 gig because it's so chunky, I may as well have just clipped my old discman to my belt.

Have to say though, from 4 hours of charge my iPod can go non-stop for about 7-8 hours, as long as I keep the backlight off. Nowhere near the supposed 12 hours it says on the box, but still.

yes, a Sony NW-HD (Network Walkman - Hard Drive) stick out tongue

30 hrs battery life, also a damn sight smaller for the same capacity
and exactly 14 times sexier

Dr. Strangelove
Originally posted by furryman

Me like!drool

What's the price?

furryman

MetallicaT
ipods are great, especially when you get one for free from *********.com :P

Darth_Big_Boy
I want one eventually.

Ou Be Low hoo
Yo, thanks for the word-up on the batt life, yo. How much does a battery cost? Also, I heard a rumour that i Pods start to die after 18 months...What da dilly-o wit dat?

tabby999

yeah i saw that in the paper and want one now instead of an ipod

Cid
don't i-pods break easily though. i know a few people whos i-pods have craped out in a few months.

jaden101

yep...go with the sony...i have the newest model...the nw-hd3

http://products.sony.co.uk/uploads/nw-hd3_colours.gif

King Burger
the Creative Zen of same capacity is just under 160

The Zen Creative also has radio, recording from radio and
micro-phone, and a replacable battery.

amity75
My only complaint about my mini ipod is that it's too easy to drop the thing!

Draco69
The new mini Ipod is only 200 dollars. It has an 18 hour battery life instead of a four hour battery. It's much better than the old one. I highly recommend it.

I also really don't see the need to need more than 4 Gig.

jaden101
Originally posted by Draco69

I also really don't see the need to need more than 4 Gig.

why...mines is 20 gig and ive already used about 6 gig

furryman
Originally posted by jaden101

I had the black and red but it died on me.

Have the original, which now takes all formats; it's somehow slightly smaller, tis a lot sexier, and comes with charging/usb cradle

the included sony pouches are so amazingly soft on the inside!

jaden101
I had the black and red but it died on me.

Have the original, which now takes all formats; it's somehow slightly smaller, tis a lot sexier, and comes with charging/usb cradle

the included sony pouches are so amazingly soft on the inside!

thats the one thing i dont like about the hd3...the usb connection...not being a hub but just a crappy connector

i also bought a better set of headphones cause the standard ones hiss quite badly

when you say the hd1 now takes all formats i presume you mean mp3 and wav files etc...rather than the pointless sony atrac-3 file...the hd-3 takes alternative files as well...if it didnt i would never have got it

im not a big fan of the sonic stage software either...thats a plus that the ipod has over the sony...the song managment

furryman
I rather like Sonic Stage, but I feel I'm in the minority there

Yeah previously HD1 only took Atrac, but I converted it all through anyway to save space + battery

ps. mine never hissed

Deathblow

Well la-dee-dah. I'll stick with my iPod thanks, I did almost bankrupt myself in the purchasing of it schmoll

dave123
I personally recommend you shop around for a cheaper alternative.

Fair enough - the spinny menu thing may be sweet, but is it worth the extra cash?

Also, how many songs do you intend to store on your MP3 player?

jaden101

furryman
every-bloody-one has an ipod

its become a substitute for 'mp3 player'

jaden101
every-bloody-one has an ipod

its become a substitute for 'mp3 player'

yeah...true...but im meaning the real deal...people who buy cheapo mp3 player for 20 bucks and try to tell everyone they have an ipod are just twats...get a proper player ya cheapy bassa's

i prefer the sony cause when your walking along the street...people see the black earphones and think..."standard mp3 player" and not "pretentious fashion victim **** with an ipod" like when you spy those crappy white headphones that come with the ipod

DaX-Man
Yes Buy one it is so worth it

charlit
they r hot shit

Cid
the price for a 30G photo is 420 in NZ. that's cheap for us.

sk8stuff09
ipods are cool, i have a 30 gig and i'm happy with it......its true though, my battery doesnt last a long time, its annoying, but overall its worth it/.....that sony mp3 looks cool...

sk8stuff09
i dont like the white headphones cuz if i try to listen to it in class, and im wearing a jacket over it(which mine are black) it sticks out, so u can see the cord...but if the cord was black it would blend in and the teacher wouldnt see it....thats the only thing...

tabby999
what, cant you just buy some new bud headphones and replace them?

rockchickgem
im gettin the iPod shuffle for my birthday coz its smaller and cuter and the cheaper one only holds 120 compared to the dearer iPod shuffle which holds 240. i dunno what the difference is between a normal mp3 player and an iPod

Deano
buy one..enjoy yaself

sk8stuff09
yeah!

alic88
i just download songs into my cell phone, i walk to school everyday i listen to it for a good hour everyday, my cell phone never has a problem with the battery, it always last, you can just set a track list, and my cell phone stores up to 256 mb's of songs or videos. the only reason why i listen to songs from my cell phone is so that i dont have an extra device in my pocket, it gets messy. its a lot more convenient from my cell phone

tabby999
Originally posted by rockchickgem
im gettin the iPod shuffle for my birthday coz its smaller and cuter and the cheaper one only holds 120 compared to the dearer iPod shuffle which holds 240. i dunno what the difference is between a normal mp3 player and an iPod

i never saw the attraction in the Shuffle, it seemed so beside the point, if your gonna buy an ipod, why buy one thats only going to hold such a tiny ammount of stuff? if you dont want heaps then buy a Mini

DaX-Man
A normal iPod holds 3600 songs a shuffle holds 2400 big diffirence
So yes buy a regular iPod

Ou Be Low hoo
If I get an iPod, can I download songs from anywhere or just iTunes? Also, do you really have to pay for every song you download from iTunes or is it just file sharing?

IRON EDDIE 666
i prefer the sony cause when your walking along the street...people see the black earphones and think..."standard mp3 player" and not "pretentious fashion victim **** with an ipod" like when you spy those crappy white headphones that come with the ipod

yes

Ou Be Low hoo

"the green-ey'd monster which doth mock / The meat it feeds on...."

-Othello, Act III, Sc III

amity75
Sorry for resurrecting an oldish thread but I bought my iPod mini in January even though everyone told me not to because the clickwheel packs in after a few months. Well guess what's happened? My click wheel has just packed in.

Emma718
i haveb a m:robe, they are really good and they look good too big grin

RagnaViper
I always say Creative Zens for the win.

It's basically an iPod, but cheaper.

jaden101
Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo
"the green-ey'd monster which doth mock / The meat it feeds on...."

-Othello, Act III, Sc III

oh yeah...i'm jealous cause my sony looks cooler, sounds better and holds more tunes than a similar priced ipod...jealousy must be it roll eyes (sarcastic)

amity75
I wish I'd bought a Creative Zen. Though my mate had one and it fell out his back pocket into the toilet while he was having a dump.

draconigena
I'm having a similar issue at the moment. I've decided against the iPod, but I'm still stuck on what to get.

Right now I'm leaning towards Zen, but I had a question about size. How big is it? Not the GB, but the actual dimensions.

Kumar
i think getting an Ipod would be a good idea. i want one, not to mention NEED one. my music is clogging up my shitty computer and it would take so F-ing long to burn all that music. i don't know any of the technical shizz but the idea seems practical

ElectricBugaloo
iPods are just too overpriced right now. I'll take the creative zen and the extra 1/2" of room it will take up - and does it really matter what it looks like? I mean, it's gonna be inyour pocket most of the time anyways.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
So there I was, riding down the highway on my hog, morning light catching my knees, chillin' to the tune of 'Crucial' by K-OS, when...the music emitting from my iPod ceased! I thought little of it, putting it down to rough terrain bumping out my ear-plugs...However, as I stopped at the next traffic light to re-plug, I felt a vacancy in my right pocket! My iPod had jumped ship without a wave goodbye. So, swiftly I retraced my tyre tracks to the place of my disengagement, but - alas - my iPod was nowhere to be seen (or heard).

These things happen, so now I have a reason to buy a new iPod video! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Those things are cool. This time tomorrow I should have a delicious, ebony-colored, 30G pimp-machine...

Pointinel
creative all the way!

better in all aspects

trust!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Got me-self da video iPod. It's the boooooooooom.

RedAlertv2
Yeah it is. I got one for Christmas and they are awesome.

Wolf Dog
I got one as an early Christmas present also but the video aspect of it was really disappointing. Very small screen. Takes forever to convert video into mp4 and to top it all off, you only get two hours of battery life when watching video. They should have not made a big deal out of it and just say, "now comes with video player" very quickly at the end of their ads. But the music aspect of it is awesome, it's worth it just for the music aspect of it.

fruits
if you have like, a bazillion songs on your computer i would recommend it, but if you dont have much, it'd be pointless. well, not necessarily pointless, but there's other MP3 alternatives out their.

Darth_Amidala
I have an Mp3 and it seems just fine erm
It may not be whats..."hot" these days. As for music music storage, it really depends on what you get. I have a 512 mb and it seems fine. I keep my music on my comp and change out depending on what I want to listen to for the day.
One thing is that the Mp3 can only take Mp3 format songs, Ipod can take both.

L0KI
I swear by the iPod

cool_dudes_rule
yeah Ive got a ipod they hold alot of songs on them, my ipod is a nano type and it is black and kinda small and thin, and it is a 2GB holds 500 songs well about, well i have heard that they are not that good cause people have told me that the ipod mini is not good, its battery doesnt last long and keeps ****ing up, well its what i heard.

Silverstein
does an Ipod or Creative have audio effects like extra bass, 'WOW Effect' and such?

Neo_Version 7
5G for life! big grin

SnakeEyes
Practically everyone I know recieved one for Christmas. Having one would be cool, but I'd rather spend my money on other things.

Neo_Version 7
I got one on November 15. stick out tongue

But seriously, Snake, be cool. Get one! big grin

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Does anyone else find that the iPod earphones break too frequently? Since buying my first iPod in July, I've had to return the earphones 3 times. Anyone else suffered the same problem?

Also, I'm currently deciding whether to splurge on some fine-ass Bang & Olufsen A8 Headphones...They look incredible, anyone else tried 'em out?

http://www.buy4less.co.il/images%5Cimages%5Ctb634lla_125_tumb2.jpg

Neo_Version 7
To answer your first question, I don't think they break frequently, but that's just me. I mean, I'm pretty careful with mine at least. (In no way am I saying you handle yours like shit so don't misunderstand.) THe only complaints I can probably say about the stock earphones is that they get dirty really quickly and the soft black protectors come off too easily... erm

Regarding the A8 headphones, I personally don't like how they look. They kinda look uncomfortable. But dude, if you ever do buy them, tell us how they are. I'm thinking of maybe picking a new pair of earphones myself.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, some people have said they've never had a problem, but then others concur with my complaint. I also take care of my earphones, but I do wear them frequently when I'm out and about on my bike - I can't see how this would be a problem, though. Also, I listen to a lot of tunes with a lot of bass - hip-hop, rock, reggae - so, perhaps, that could be it...

I've only just spotted those B&O beauties, but I'll try them on this weekend...

Neo_Version 7
Well, I guess THAT could be a problem then. stick out tongue

Okey-dokey! thumb up

MC_GG
I got a green iPOD Mini and it lasts me for about 18 hours before i recharge it. It all depends on how you use your iPOD/MP3 Player.

Refused
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Does anyone else find that the iPod earphones break too frequently? Since buying my first iPod in July, I've had to return the earphones 3 times. Anyone else suffered the same problem?

Also, I'm currently deciding whether to splurge on some fine-ass Bang & Olufsen A8 Headphones...They look incredible, anyone else tried 'em out?

http://www.buy4less.co.il/images%5Cimages%5Ctb634lla_125_tumb2.jpg

Yes, i'm already getting these annoying 'pop' sounds when i have the volume up close to maximum. I've only had them for about a month too.

§cooter
Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo
I don't know if this has been done before, if it has...delete away!

Anyway, I'm currently caught between a rock and stone on whether or not to buy an i Pod or just get a regular MP3 player...Do they do pretty much the same thing or is there some undeniable reason why I should get an i Pod?

I checked out my friend's i Pod, and it certainly is a sweet looking baby...I love the way you just scroll around that circle to flick through songs...Also, how long does it take to download one of my CDs onto the i Pod?

I don't know much about this sort of technology, so speak to me like I'm an idiot...

Thanks. I'd go with a Creative Zen, jsut because I hear their headphones aren't susceptible to breaking once a week.

NewJERU

this is fly and all.....but its $359.00, might as well buy an iPOD or a Dell DJ Jukebox.

Neo_Version 7
iPod for life, man! stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.