Religion in TV shows

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Holcomb
Has anyone else noticed how this is becoming a big trend for shows? Joan of Arcadia, Miracles and then last night I just saw an ad for a new show called revelations.

Do you think there is any particular reason for this influx? I mean all this stuff has me thinking the world might really end (kidding).

Is anyone else noticing this or have any thoughts on it?

vagaryatwill
Hadn't really thought about it. But yeah, I guess there has been a bit of a jump in the amount of shows doing this. Can't really think of a reason for it other than creators are going for a different angle. Seems like shows every now and then at least throw in the church or prayer in storylines.

Holcomb
I came across this article that talks about religion in TV. Pretty interesting read.

WorkingForChange
http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemID=18773
'Revelations': Armageddon comes to prime time
Interminable coverage of the Schiavo case and the Atlanta 'miracle' release reveals 'permanent vegetative state' of cable television's news channels

"Revelations" is the name of an upcoming six-part television series based on the Bible's Book of Revelation. The first episode is scheduled to be aired by NBC on Wednesday night April 13. Unlike other religious-oriented television fare -- "Joan of Arcadia," "Touched by an Angel," and "Highway to Heaven" -- "Revelations" promises to pull no punches in a "The Passion of the Christ" sort of way. To paraphrase the words of famed boxing announcer Michael Buffer, "Let's Get Ready to Rapture!"

"We felt what needed to be done is a television show that expressed itself as Christian," Gavin Polone, the executive producer of, and, according to the New York Times, "the driving force behind 'Revelations,'" told the newspaper. "We're very clear about that here... The words 'Jesus Christ' or 'Christ' are used three times a minute."

Jackie Malfoy
Yea but I think it is done more in a made fun way then a good way.jm

Holcomb
Are you talking about revelations or other shows? If so, what other shows do you think make fun of religion?

darktim1
whom sounds interesting book revelation I do study prophecy so it should be good to watch.

Holcomb
Originally posted by darktim1
whom sounds interesting book revelation I do study prophecy so it should be good to watch.

what are your thoughts about religion on TV in general? Do you think it's well represented? I think it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the revelations show.

Draco69
If we can have "Who Wants to Marry a Midget", "Temptation Island", "The Sopranos" and "The L word." then we can have religous-themed shows. Anyone uncomfortable with it shouldn't watch it. It amuses me that religous themed shows are considered taboo by some people but gory crime scenes, proliferation of Italian mafias and the degradation of marriage is completely acceptable.

Holcomb
I came across this article the other day. Really pertinent to this topic and a pretty interesting read. Check it out:

Religion on TV shows

vagaryatwill
Well, there must be some sort of appeal for religion themed shows. It does add to the choices that one has to watch, especially with all the crap on right now. It's interesting in the article how they mention that these types of shows not only appeal to the the "believer" but they also pull in people who just want to enjoy the entertainment value. good point.

Jackie Malfoy
Simspons famly guy and futrumma all make fun of religon.Christens are made fun of at al times because everyone is too scared to make fun of jews or Muslims and to me that is not a fairl thing.JM

Holcomb
Originally posted by vagaryatwill
Well, there must be some sort of appeal for religion themed shows. It does add to the choices that one has to watch, especially with all the crap on right now. It's interesting in the article how they mention that these types of shows not only appeal to the the "believer" but they also pull in people who just want to enjoy the entertainment value. good point.

I agree, they do have an appeal and I think it has a lot to do with the mystical and uncertain side of it. Religion is open to interpretation and most people can relate to it in some way. That said, it will be interesting to see how Revelations is recieved, I have seen some pretty positive reviews. Here is one if you want to check it out.

It's the end of the world -- on NBC
'Revelations' a mini-series of religion-flavored drama
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/13/apontv.revelations.ap/

Holcomb
Did no one check out the premiere?

I was pretty pleased. Not like anything else that is on TV now. Anyone????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.