Is It me Or......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wuTa
is it me or are they toning down comic book charactors...for instance...i remember when gambit used to smoke...do you know hom many times he smoked in his latest solo series...none....and arsenal used to be a living on the edge loose cannon type....he still is that kinda but not as much....now why would you take these charactoristics away from these charactor...i've heard the arguement that they do it for the kids...but thats nothing but a cop out......i rarely see a kid under 18 in the comic book store...in fact, me and GM were just talking about this..more adults probaly buy comics than kids...so why tone down the charactors?

KharmaDog
Originally posted by wuTa
me and GM were just talking about this..more adults probaly buy comics than kids

Kids can't affor comic books anymore, hell, I can't afford comic books anymore! eek!

LordFear
Good point

ragesRemorse
Comics toning characters down...try giving them a child makeover. The x-men are all children. Spiderman is is more like a young teenager than ever. Mainstream comics blow the big one anymore. I read superman for the art, thats bout it. The rest i stick to independants.

ScarletSpider
That was also in the early 90s when smoking was more acceptable. Now it has a massive amount of negative social stigmas attached to it. It also doesn't make sense for any superheros to smoke really, as it would hamper their very active lifestyles.

Yes, and that got him addicted to heroin. He's learned his lesson and matured a bit. He has a daughter at home now. It makes sense, and it's logical character growth that he wouldn't be so gung ho now.

wuTa
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
That was also in the early 90s when smoking was more acceptable. Now it has a massive amount of negative social stigmas attached to it. It also doesn't make sense for any superheros to smoke really, as it would hamper their very active lifestyles.

bah...its ok for wolverine to smoke a cigar but gambit cant smoke a cigeratte...so what if there is a negative social stigma....same thing goes for being a pick pocket...why dont they just take that way and make him a school boy

Yes, and that got him addicted to heroin. He's learned his lesson and matured a bit. He has a daughter at home now. It makes sense, and it's logical character growth that he wouldn't be so gung ho now.

ok...you got me on this one..good stuff

ScarletSpider
Yeah, I do understand what you mean about Gambit though, but I don't think he was ever a very steady smoker, it depended upon who was writing him and/or drawing him at the time. For a real chain smoker, seek out some of the later issues of Excalibur, preferrably Warren Ellis' run where he introduces Pete Wisdom.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.