Lucas is a jerk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkAge
Did anyone see that recent 60 Miutes interview? He was basically saying how he's making Episode III for his own enjoyment only, that he has "earned the right to fail" and doesn't care what anyone else thinks of Ep 3. When asked if the critics had a point when they trashed parts of Star Wars, he totally avoided the question and started talking about issues of personal preference, rather than objective quality, which was what the interviewer asked. The guy seems to think, much like on that South Park episode, that the movies he directs belong to him and him alone.

jango fatt
He's lying he just does it for the money!

jango fatt
And thanks for another pointless thread

Force Adept
He's a jerk because he's successful and earned the right to fail at whatever he tries next, as he said? Bah, I'd rather congratulate him, rather than chastise him..

putin
it is sadly certain sad

Imaginary
Lucas pisses us all off sometimes, but ya gotta remember, no Lucas means no SW...

Sompeetalay
You should be ashamed of yourself to speak of Lucas in that way. He has every right to do what he likes. He has invented SW and does not need to listen to anyone (although I didn't say he shouldn't from time to time).

tlbauerle
Thanks for the crappy thread and a poor interpretation of a person's character based on a fifteen minute segment of what can be assumed as a highly editted, but originally lengthy interview.

bilb
Well lets see, he made all 3 PT movies with his OWN money, so yeah I guess that does give him th eright to make whatever film he wants, whether fanboys like it or not.

bioptical
Wasn't the 'right to fail' comment made about the films Lucas does AFTER Ep III?

uga2002
As a new guy here, let me be the first to say, Jesus H. Christ. You've got to be kidding me. You took what Lucas said, and completely misquoted him left and right to suit your own purpose.

He did not say he was making them for his own enjoyment. He said he was making them the way he wanted to make them, and making them because he enjoyed making them.

Way to take a quote completely out of context. Lucas said he was going back to making those small, independent type films, the kind of films nobody would want to see. He then stated he had earned enough and worked hard enough to be able to fail. What he was referring to was the fact that these films would make very little at the box office.

That's complete BS! Lucas didn't avoid the question at all. In fact, he met the question head on. He noted that a lot of critics didn't like them, and even joked that it couldn't get any worse. To be honest though, both films are positive on rottentomatoes, so they obviously didn't get slammed all that much. Lucas then went on to make an analogy. He stated he made the films like he wanted. He said maybe the film should have been like the critics wanted, but he wanted to do it his way. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Next time you want to slam someone, you best make sure you get the quotes right, rather than just make a bunch of crap up. Otherwise you'll come off looking stupid. At the end of the day, you've never even met George Lucas, so you don't know what kind of person he is. Simply because he doesn't kowtow to your way of thinking, that makes him a jerk.

JKozzy
Originally posted by DarkAge
Did anyone see that recent 60 Miutes interview? He was basically saying how he's making Episode III for his own enjoyment only, that he has "earned the right to fail" and doesn't care what anyone else thinks of Ep 3. When asked if the critics had a point when they trashed parts of Star Wars, he totally avoided the question and started talking about issues of personal preference, rather than objective quality, which was what the interviewer asked. The guy seems to think, much like on that South Park episode, that the movies he directs belong to him and him alone. They're his movies, and he can do whatever he wants with them. You didn't think up Star Wars, he did. In no way is he being a jerk. If anything, you're being an insensitive jerk for not realizing this. Manipulating the interview to serve your point won't get you very far. On the contrary, I thought it was a very good and informative interview.

peluffo
I'm sure the people who bash lucas, will be on the theater to see the movie several times. If he is a jerk, why did you see his movies?

BTW: you're in a SW fan forum... what are you doing here?

DarkYoda
If it wasn't for Lucas, Chewbacca would have worn pants in the Old Trilogy. The studios were really concerned about the fact that Chewbacca did not wear clothes. Image how weird that would have been...kind of a really hairy Hulk! laughing laughing out loud

DARTH STEVIOUS
He just says that he made for him self cause hes worried on what people will say about the new movie

King Burger
Jeez, the guy starts a thread, expressing his own views, why
attack him?

Lucas may not have meant things as DarkAge interpreted
them, but even the most hard-core Star Wars fans among
you can't deny that Lucas does occasionally take advantage
of your love of his films, to bilk you out of more money.

Besides, Lucas already has "Howard the Duck" as a failure,
why make another?

jedijunky1138
Originally posted by uga2002
As a new guy here, let me be the first to say, Jesus H. Christ. You've got to be kidding me. You took what Lucas said, and completely misquoted him left and right to suit your own purpose.
Very well stated! And might I say

He did not say he was making them for his own enjoyment. He said he was making them the way he wanted to make them, and making them because he enjoyed making them.

Way to take a quote completely out of context. Lucas said he was going back to making those small, independent type films, the kind of films nobody would want to see. He then stated he had earned enough and worked hard enough to be able to fail. What he was referring to was the fact that these films would make very little at the box office.

That's complete BS! Lucas didn't avoid the question at all. In fact, he met the question head on. He noted that a lot of critics didn't like them, and even joked that it couldn't get any worse. To be honest though, both films are positive on rottentomatoes, so they obviously didn't get slammed all that much. Lucas then went on to make an analogy. He stated he made the films like he wanted. He said maybe the film should have been like the critics wanted, but he wanted to do it his way. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Next time you want to slam someone, you best make sure you get the quotes right, rather than just make a bunch of crap up. Otherwise you'll come off looking stupid. At the end of the day, you've never even met George Lucas, so you don't know what kind of person he is. Simply because he doesn't kowtow to your way of thinking, that makes him a jerk. Very well stated! Might I just say " Welcome to KMC!" I think you will fit in nicely!

jedijunky1138
Originally posted by King Burger
attack him?

why make another? You gotta lot to learn....... cool

Stunrun
I dont believe this for one second!? Lucas said if he sat down wiht an audience who enjoyed the film, then he'd set out what he wanted to do. With so many fans, why would he make a statement like that?

Uber_God
people do stupid things

Uber_God
e.g. george bush (sr) had a son

guiro72
you are missing the point completely, dark age.....you say you want this film to be dark?.....to be a deep, satisfying, non-commercial experience?.....to take risks, and not be a kid's film or some sub-schwarzenegger piece of junk?.....you should be cheering.....go and watch terminator 3 instead then.....this is the lucas i've been hoping was secretly hidden under all the chins and jar-jar toys all along....."failure" is not referring to making bad films, he's talking about making good films that might not be accepted by an audience reared on crap like wild
wild west and independence day.....i love new lucas.....oh yes.....

Uber_God
a good movie not accepted by the audience?

you mean like howard the duck?

guiro72
haven't seen it since i was about 10, but i was thinking more thx, clockwork orange, catch 22 etc

sorry, i can't tell if you're joking or not

you might be interested to now that according to mcdiarmid, the prequels are really about what you mentioned in your last post

like i said, love new lucas

Uber_God
i was joking stick out tongue
i havnt seen howard the duck and dont want to either

Captain Oats
hm... I love star wars! if i would do something, i would thank lucas, not bash him. You guys (who thinks he is a jerk) should appreciate him instead of bashing him. without him=no star wars.

I think it is great that he does the movies the way he wants cause they are his movies and not the ours.

Marchioness
I totally agree with captain oats. We should worship George Lucas for creating Star Wars, if not there won't be a forum dedicated to star wars.

dwizard
Yep original poster misquoted lucas.

I agree with those that spotted that this will be his last LARGE SCALE motion picture and that he wants to do small independent movies. He has worked hard and that the STARWARS motion pictures was a Detour, a 30 year detour he took to finish his vision and that if he makes independent movies and nobody likes them then he has earned the right to fail. He wants to get back to the small films because that is what he enjoyed the most.

What gets me all worked up is that he said this was the last film ever for starwars. He also said if anyone approached him to do a part 7 to this he would turn it down.

All in all kiddies this is the last installment and supposed to be the best out of all six parts! Because the movie will deliver an emotional tragedy that most can relate to.

I love lucas and I think his critics are way to hard on him. He has done the films his way and by all means he is right. Its his vision not mine yours and anyone elses. I just wish Chewi would rip the head off of Jar Jar, but of course that would take up too much important writing time to get into the script so its not that important of a deal. But, maybe they can do a Fatal Death Match between the two! Id love to see that!

darthmaul1
This just goes to show how people inturpret shows and what is said.
He said he has made enough money that he could fail the rest of his life.
He did not avoid the question with the critics being hard on him he took it straight on. He said he doesn't care what the critics think there will always be some loser out there that does not like his movies, he is making the movies to finish his story and he has said it before if he can get a group of people in a theater and enjoy the film then he has done his job.
I think what the main problem is that people have forgotten what the movies are for, ENTERTAINMENT. All the STAR WARS movies are highly entertaining and hats off to lucas for bringing us this wonderful story.

bilb
Geez, this is starting to sound alot like religion. Misquote things to fit your own personal belief, regardless of the facts. Lucas WAS talking about future films when he said he had earned the right to fail. And these are his movies. If he wanted Ep 3 to focus on nothing but Jar Jar he has every right. We of course have the right not to like it but that does not negate the fact taht he is teh director, producer & financer of the film and can do what he likes with it. That said, I have yet to see anything regarding this movie that looks like any type of disappointment.

tlbauerle
Mmmmmm.....Summer....

Sorry, Captain...I got distracted.

EHmasterJedi
Well in my oppinion without us lucas would have nothing, so i believe he does have the responsablity to please mainly the fans that have been so supportive and given him the ablity to "Fail the rest of his life", And i think he could be reasonably pleased wile giving everyone what we want.

darthmaul1
He is giving the normal fans what they want, a good scifi fantasy story, if you like the originals you should like the prequals, it is just some of the idiots out there that can't see it for what it is (pure fun and entertainment) and that the way the stories are told are identical in all 6 films, there are no plot gaps or missed info.

Sith Master X
Did anyone see that recent 60 Miutes interview? He was basically saying how he's making Episode III for his own enjoyment only, that he has "earned the right to fail" and doesn't care what anyone else thinks of Ep 3.

Not true at all. He said he was making these movies "the way he wanted to make them" not neccessarily the way other people think it should be made. And never once did I hear him say he didn't care what anyone else thinks, he said he wasn't concerned, and that all the critics haven't like the previous movies, so they probably aren't going to like this one either. That's what GL was getting at.

Jedi Priestess
Considering he's the one paying for all of this, I'd say he was entitled to make whatever he wants. You dont like the way things are done, quit griping and go find another movie IMHO.

OB1-adobe
Did anyone see that recent 60 Miutes interview? He was basically saying how he's making Episode III for his own enjoyment only,

Just because you hate your life and job, doesn't mean Lucas has to.

Discomurf
DarkAge is a jerk

stick out tongue

Captain Oats

TheElectricFox
yeah like name yourself UBERGOD or AWAIN

Obiwalker08
no george= no star wars

Darth_Nefarus
Look, Lucas is making the movies differently and for different reasons because he's a different person. They're his movies, and although they aren't what we had hoped for, we should be thankful for the PT. I mean, we get to finally see what made Vader snap and kill off the Jedi. The birth of the most recognizeable villain in movie history is coming, and it's going to be amazing.
Lucas for Prez!
Alright, that one was too far...

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Darth_Nefarus
Look, Lucas is making the movies differently and for different reasons because he's a different person. They're his movies, and although they aren't what we had hoped for, we should be thankful for the PT. I mean, we get to finally see what made Vader snap and kill off the Jedi. The birth of the most recognizeable villain in movie history is coming, and it's going to be amazing.
Lucas for Prez!
Alright, that one was too far...

They aren't what we had hoped for?????
They are everything I have hoped for and more and I think most of the non picky and non stupid fans love them thats why we line up to see them. I don't understand how you can not like the PT and yet still go see it.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by Darth_Nefarus
Look, Lucas is making the movies differently and for different reasons because he's a different person. They're his movies, and although they aren't what we had hoped for,

They're everyting I hoped for.

Naredhel
People who call people jerks are jerks.

Or, if you will, most of the male population are probably jerks by definition.

vader519
Geroge Lucas has created one of the greatest saga's in the hisotry of film and you are calling him a jerk. Your a jerk, and this is another pointless thread that should be locked. Lucas is not saying he is doing ROTS for the hell of it. What he is saying is that it is his film and he will direct it and write it the way he wants, and nobody will change his mind. The OT came out before I was born, ROTJ came out a year before I was born. I had seen star wars on tv all the time whenever it was on. The first time I saw a star wars movie in the movie theatre was Episode 1. I have waited my whole life since I was little kid to see the prequal trilogy, and I love them all.

Obiwalker08
i have been waiting for the prequels for almost 30 years....they are all that a hoped they would be when i was a kid....

EHmasterJedi
Originally posted by Sith Master X
They're everyting I hoped for.

E1 was pretty enjoyable, Not sure what you hoped for but having Anakin and Padime sitting around making a soap opera out of Star Wars in AOTC certainly wasnt what i was hoping for, rewind back 10 years before any info about the new movies were out, and just think of how you thought the prequils could only be basically you thought where ever Anakin was something was going on, some sort of action/turmiol/drama, we didnt need to hate him because of boring scenes and cry baby like attitudes, but from the fact that he was so powerful and COCKY/ARROGANT with his powers that we dispised him to a certian point. You basically would of thought of it like that or that he was such a likeable person it would of been such a shock to see how in the world he could change to the dark side, right now im not even sure why he's supost to be the choosen one he hasent done anything to show it, thats why i looking foward to E3 hopfully his horney childish attitude will have subsided. And he will be able to display this power everyones talking about.

Right now the Clone Wars cartoon are the best thing out there with adult anakin they kind of give us what the movie are missing Star Wars LOL, The new movies are entertaining but i find myself fast forwarding ALOT in AOTC which i just think is wrong LOL. In ESB no need to fast forward through any of the romance scenes there smile

Sith Master X
Lol, that's funny because AOTC is my favorite out of them all. stick out tongue I know there's stuff between Anakin and Padme in Episode II, but at the same time AOTC has the most action out of any SW movie yet, so I guess I could say that mushy stuff between Anakin and Padme doesn't ruin the movie much for me. Though remember, there's still one more installment to come, which I'm sure ROTS we'll make up for those who disliked AOTC...I hope lol smile

jedijunky1138
Has anyone noticed that DARK AGE has not posted in this thread since he started it? Coward!

atila the great
jedijunky that was exactly what i was gonna say. that guy should come back and face the answers

Mist
I firmly believe that GL is not a jerk, and that everything he makes, he makes for me and me alone.

jedijunky1138
Hey Mist Is it OK if I watch Episode 3 on May 19th? stick out tongue

Mist
no. only i can. you may watch on may 20, but not may 19.

amity75
I don't often swear on these forums but I'm getting really fed up with so called star wars fans having a pop at Mr Lucas. If you don't like the movies then f*ck off and watch star trek or something. Lucas is a genius AND he's easily as accomplished a director as his hero, Akira Kurosawa.

jedimaster2000
Lucas is great, IMO the prequels were not as good as the originals but they were still likeable. And as many people have mentioned before, if you don't like the director's movies, then don't watch them. Simple as that.

smoker4
Yeah and get ones facts right before making a thread please smokin'

LanİeWindu™
The guy seems to think, much like on that South Park episode, that the movies he directs belong to him and him alone. Well the movies ARE his brainchild. If he makes them for his own enjoyment...ok. We can enjoy them too, that's why he's releasing it. He's just saying that they started off as his movies and they will end that way too.

jedijunky1138
Originally posted by Mist
no. only i can. you may watch on may 20, but not may 19. But I'll buy the popcorn..... stick out tongue

Imaginary
Originally posted by Mist
no. only i can. you may watch on may 20, but not may 19.

What about me? cry

jedijunky1138
Originally posted by Imaginary
What about me? cry Hey... you get your own popcorn! mad laughing

EHmasterJedi
well AOTC wasnt bad if you take out some of the romance scenes, the saber duel lagged alittle but that didnt really hert to bad, The 2 best scenes with Anakin that i liked the most are probably when he walks off to go find his mother the music and everything, that was about as close to the OT's orginal feeling as they've gotten with the prequils, and 2nd is probably when Anakin slaughters the tusken camp out of anger, thats probably the closest to the character i was expecting that hes gotten, you know kill them ask qestions later type deal lol, which i expect that kind of attitude wont be problem in ROTS lol smile

GCG
GL went against the odds way back in the 70s. He had ideas for movies and one in particular was story in a galaxy far far away.

"You have to beg, borrow and steal. You have to swallow your pride and be able to ask for help, for money. A lot of people are willing to help independent filmmakers if they think there's a chance they're going to finish their film." - Liz Stubbs, author and independent filmmaker

The films draw extensively on archetypal figures and themes of classical literature. He didnt want anybody else to have his story which he wrote. They would **** it up by twisting it, manipulating it, deform it and alter the story line to an extent that we would not recognize it as the Star Wars that it is today.

GL had to create his own SFX department to which audiences applauded the final cutting edge technology that displayed them on screen.

IMO, George Lucas is the most succesful indipendant film maker in cinematography, and his huge strides have helped other indie filma makers find an inspiration to believe in themselves.

Just_Joe
I think he is also making the movies for the fans. An army of Wookies(like we'll see in ROTS) is something fans of the old trilogy have wanted to see, so he's delivering that.

Directors dont make movies just for the sake of making them. They have stories that they want to tell in their own way so that when it's all said and done....instead of going "I could have made something better".....they go...."I made that."

So most all directors are making movies for themselves. They just believe there are millions of other people that share his/her interests enough to see the movies he/she has made.

Imaginary
I'll bring the comfy pillows, Mist! eek!

DarkAge
Originally posted by jedijunky1138
Has anyone noticed that DARK AGE has not posted in this thread since he started it? Coward!

I only posted this yesterday. I can't be online 24/7.

OK...

First, calling Lucas a genius I think is getting carried away. A genius would not create such an inferior movie (and widely regarded as such by non-fanboy, less biased Star Wars fans) as TPM. Sometimes I think after 16 years of anticipation for Episode I some of the fanboys would have been satisfied with a blank screen that ran for two hours.

Second, I think the guy's stupid for not looking for meaning in the criticism of his movies. While it's great that he doesn't let others make up his mind for him, it was stubborn not to acknowedge and redeem himself on the painfully obvious flaws such as dialog ("Oh this is such a drag!"--C3PO getting his head dragged along in AC), casting (Jake Loyd) and boring, overextended political scenes.

LanİeWindu™
I only posted this yesterday. I can't be online 24/7.

OK...

First, calling Lucas a genius I think is getting carried away. A genius would not create such an inferior movie (and widely regarded as such by non-fanboy, less biased Star Wars fans) as TPM. Sometimes I think after 16 years of anticipation for Episode I some of the fanboys would have been satisfied with a blank screen that ran for two hours.

Second, I think the guy's stupid for not looking for meaning in the criticism of his movies. While it's great that he doesn't let others make up his mind for him, it was stubborn not to acknowedge and redeem himself on the painfully obvious flaws such as dialog ("Oh this is such a drag!"--C3PO getting his head dragged along in AC), casting (Jake Loyd) and boring, overextended political scenes.

I agree with you about TPM, I still like it, but it's nowhere near as good as all the other movies. Plus Jake Lloyd was a terrible choice, just look at Jingle All The Way he was terrible in that too.

Also on the point of the jokes with C-3PO "I'm quite beside myself." They were too corny.

EHmasterJedi
HUH? Jake Loyd was a great choice compared to Hayden, Jake carried the role just the way it needed, I dont blame Hayden for anything but just his look tends to bother me slightly the poutty face he just never has the reaction you would expect. Other than a few stupid lines Loyd was great, i never had any problem with him other than maybe they couldve made him older so it could have been the same guy playing Anakin in all the movies

LanİeWindu™
Originally posted by EHmasterJedi
other than maybe they couldve made him older so it could have been the same guy playing Anakin in all the movies

I thought the same thing.

DarkAge
I thought 9 years old was too young to introduce him anyway.

darthmaul1
If you don't like the prequals then why don't you just stick with the OT and thats it?
If you are a non-fanboy or less biased Star Wars fan why the hell would even go see a STAR WARS movie if you are not interested in it???

Overextened political scenes?? They have to establish how Palpitine gets into power and also how he gets his full control over the senate.

Take out some of the romance scenes??? What the hell are you talking about? they were only a few 2 minute long scenes and then your right back into the main story.what do you expect? Anakin and Padme meet in the apartment and then at the end get married??? you can't do that!

bad dialog?? what about Leia "will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way.
just shut up and enjoy the movie for what they are great entertainment.
and if you didn't like the first one then why go see the other 2???

cylob49
I thought 9 years old was too young to introduce him anyway.

Lucas set out to make the prequel trilogy a kiddie freindly bonanza but he got burnt by the fans reaction to TPM
Jar Jar was NEVER meant to end up a minor character ..a politician..its obvious he was intended to accompany either Anakin or Obi wan in their adventures but he knew hed be lynched if he did so after TPM.
I have loved Star Wars for a looooooong time but Lucas aint some all powerful being beyond critisizm.
The prequels have on the whole been sucky..
I got my tickets today
Im looking forward to the movie and i hope its a case of third time lucky.

dwizard
Phantom Menace was the begining of the story and the reason for it feeling so crappy was because we couldnt relate the story with the original story. As we see with Attack of the Clones the story progressed and actually made the Phantom Menace a bit more acceptible. But most importantlly the AOTC actually made the original pictures even better! Now with the trailor for Revenge of the Sith, I hear what I used to hear from starwars fans.

That is theories...

Its what we Starwars Fans do. We sit here and theorize what is coming next. Just like when luke ended with the knowledge that Darth Vader was his father. For three years after Empire we speculated and talked. Everyone had their theories.

Well this is what made starwars so special. And sure enough we are again sitting here speculating on what is going to happen. theories are flying and I think that good old George Lucas thrives on such publicity!

And you know what? I love George for reliving those old feelings.

I am very happy for the Phantom Menace and Attack of the clones! And im a very happy Star Wars fan!

Thank you George Lucas, thank you very much for making me a 34 year old man feel like a kid again!

That is what I feel about Star Wars, and that is what i feel about Lucas!

LandoSpeeder2
Sure were all glad that he made star wars and were all thankful, but that doesn't mean we have to like him, IMHO. I don't really like him myself, but I'm glad he made these movies.

OB1-adobe
Yeah, Lucas is a real assh*le. He created jobs for thousands of people, and treats his employees very well. Who needs a guy like that in the glorious fim industry where everyone is treated equally and honestly.

Darth_Nefarus
Yeah, and have you ever heard of a company called Pixar? Lucas started that, and damn that's made our lives so miserable.
And really, he only revolutionized special effects as we know it, how dare he make this crap.

LandoSpeeder2
I'm not saying I don't like his work or what he has done, I just don't like "him" for the way he is.

Just_Joe
Originally posted by LandoSpeeder2
I'm not saying I don't like his work or what he has done, I just don't like "him" for the way he is.

Being fat?

wink big grin

LandoSpeeder2
lol, no.

Cascador
They are right...I admire George Lucas for his independance. For the battle he fought to make his own movies the way he wanted it. But I also think that George Lucas learns from his mistakes. That is why Jar-Jar has such a small role in the last two films. Bringing wookiees in ep III is not for the fans I think. It were suppose to be Wookiees in ep VI, not Ewoks, but it would just cost too much. What the fans have been waiting for and himself is the lava fight and I'm glad it's in ep III and not in ep VI, so that the original idea, the original story will come the way he intended to tell it. And if you can't accept that, you're NOT a star wars fan! Cause THIS IS Star Wars and denying that it is, is just deluding yourself.

bilb
Originally posted by Cascador
Bringing wookiees in ep III is not for the fans I think. It were suppose to be Wookiees in ep VI, not Ewoks, but it would just cost too much.

What? How would Wookies have cost more? Both require humans in suits..
The Wookies were a TOTAL marketing thing, so cute & cuddly.. ICK! Makes me nauseous! Yeah GL has done great things with SW (YEAY!!) but he made some BIGTIME mistakes too, as would anyone..

mossman
Did anyone see that recent 60 Miutes interview? He was basically saying how he's making Episode III for his own enjoyment only, that he has "earned the right to fail" and doesn't care what anyone else thinks of Ep 3.

You realise that is a state all artists aspire to.

Cascador
Well I was wrong about the Wookiees, it wasn't about money, it was about Lucas' daughter. She liked teddybears, so she prefered there were Ewoks in ep VI, not Wookiees. So he did it for his daughter.

bilb
Thats actually the best explanation of the Ewoks I have heard so far...

Naredhel
THis hasn't been locked yet?

bilb
You'd think wouldnt ya? laughing

DarkAge
That would be censorship.

Sith_Dreamer
Mos thave stated it right. Lucas never said he could care less about the fans. He cares a lot about the fans (and money, but fans mainly), and the interview was probably edited.

§pearhead
Originally posted by bilb
Thats actually the best explanation of the Ewoks I have heard so far...

sadly.

Darkage, I think you miss the point. He's tired of critics ragging on his works, on what they think it should be instead. As a fan, it's frustrating, but put yourself into his shoes. Should someone else take your work and say it should be like this instead? No.

And keep in mind, he said he's reached the point where he could afford a failure in reference to some 'artsy' movie he's been thinking about. Not RoTS.

Uber_God
Why do people actually give a shit if lucas doesnt care about the fans
it was his idea to make the movies so he makes it how he wants to NOT how you want.

atila the great
i think Lucas gave the exact amount of importance to critics around the globe with his " green house/white house" explanation in 60 minutes.

YOU don't like jar jar, YOU don't like Jake as lil' anakin, YOU don't like TPM, YOU think the prequels should be better without Lucas, but guess what? YOU did not create star wars, YOU don't own any part of star wars. Lucas created not only some movies that made every geek wet their pants, he created an independent film maker's hot wet dream with 6 independent movies that allowed the movie industry to grow, and as a future broke as independent filmmaker i thank him for that....(somebody give me a violin and some patriotic style music). my point is that it's been six years guys!! this debate is stupid now, back in '99 made some sense, but now? the 3 new movies are done, believe me nothing you do or say against them means anything.

Gangularis
Originally posted by jedijunky1138
You gotta lot to learn....... cool

sounds like you do too.

Uber_God
I sorta said that atila but like... less words

Jackie Malfoy
Did anyone see that recent 60 Miutes interview? He was basically saying how he's making Episode III for his own enjoyment only, that he has "earned the right to fail" and doesn't care what anyone else thinks of Ep 3. When asked if the critics had a point when they trashed parts of Star Wars, he totally avoided the question and started talking about issues of personal preference, rather than objective quality, which was what the interviewer asked. The guy seems to think, much like on that South Park episode, that the movies he directs belong to him and him alone.

mad How dare you?jm

DarkAge
^Big surprise. Have you ever agreed with anything I've said?

Mist
I'll bring the comfy pillows, Mist! eek!

naughty

oh may 19, where for art thou?

Mr Parker
Lucas pisses us all off sometimes, but ya gotta remember, no Lucas means no SW...

Too bad Lucas didnt cease to exist after the original trilogy because all the star wars movies since EMPIRE STRIKES BACK have all sucked so the die hard fans would all be better of if there had not been George lucas around anymore after the original star wars trilogy.dont listen to them dark age,another good post.by the way,you DO know that I am right in what I said to you in that conversation I had with you in that pm message chat we had dont you? big grin its true.

Jackie Malfoy

Yes I had.I am sure you will be happy to know that you made my list.JM evil face

Mr Parker
Originally posted by King Burger
attack him?

why make another?

well said King Burger.It makes me sick the way people here attack someone just for expressing their views that are different than theirs which happens quite often at this site.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Captain Oats
hm... I love star wars! if i would do something, i would thank lucas, not bash him. You guys (who thinks he is a jerk) should appreciate him instead of bashing him. without him=no star wars.

I think it is great that he does the movies the way he wants cause they are his movies and not the ours.

I dont think he is a jerk myself but people have a right to not approve of what he is doing with the star wars franchise.Again,I hate the star wars movies that have been made since Empire strikes back.I know many others that feel the same.Lucas really really should have not made anymore trilogys after Jedi.Horrible idea on his part.He has lost his touch and does not have the magic he once possessed when he was younger.

§pearhead

You realize, ofc, that that doesn't really mean much.

JM, if you're going to give input, make it meaningful...?

CBright7831
He did somewhat piss me off awhile back when he the DVDs were coming out.

"It's my movies, and I can do whatever I want with them."

"If you want to watch the original, unaltered trilogy watch the VHs's"

I know the second comment may be not exactly what he said, but he said something of the sort. It just pisses me off how he doesn't want to acknowledge that the original (unaltered) trilogy never existed.

Something tell me George isn't the most friendly guy on the block.

CBright7831
Actually, we know every plot point in the entire movie. EVRYTHING.

SCENE BY SCENE!

You won't be surprised on May 19 when you go into the theater, because youk now everything that happens.

Darth_Vader05
COULD SOMEONE PLEASE CLOSE THIS STUPID AND USELESS THREAD LUCAS IS GOD AND STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH IS GOING TO BE THE BEST STAR WARS MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!!

DarkAge
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
Yes I had.I am sure you will be happy to know that you made my list.JM evil face

I don't see myself in your friends list. Did you mean I'm on your hit list or something? confused

k1klass
Totally agree!

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Darth_Vader05
COULD SOMEONE PLEASE CLOSE THIS STUPID AND USELESS THREAD LUCAS IS GOD AND STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH IS GOING TO BE THE BEST STAR WARS MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!!

considering that the last two were just plain crap and dont have the magic the original trilogy had,I seriously doubt that. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.