Ryan Adams...genius of narcissistic mad man?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
personally i love the guys music...every song is magnificent

from his days as a member of whiskeytown...through his solo career...his musical style has evolved and devolved repeatedly...

last year he released rock n roll to satisfy his record company and so he could release love is hell part 1+2

this year he is releasing even more material

first up is cold roses(another double album) which he is releasing with his new band (the cardinals) next month

then comes 29...in which he is teaming up with "gold" producer ethan jones

and then going back to his roots...jacksonville city lights

i cant wait

but many consider his style to be pretty pretentious and self absorbed...particularly of his later material...

anybody have any opinions on his stuff

http://www.vh1.com/shared/media/news/images/a/Adams_Ryan/ryan_adams_180x180.jpg

Alpha Centauri
Never really liked the guy and disliked him even more when he let his record company push him around.

He seems a bit too much like a man with an acoustic guitar that ladies like for no reason. A bit like that Jamie Cullum idiot.

-AC

furryman
can't say I've ever heard anything apart from his rendition of Wonderwall, which completely dwarfs Oasis'

jaden101
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Never really liked the guy and disliked him even more when he let his record company push him around.

He seems a bit too much like a man with an acoustic guitar that ladies like for no reason. A bit like that Jamie Cullum idiot.

-AC

yeah i was a bit annoyed at that too...but they had the shackles on him at the time...they weren't even going to release love is hell at all...he threw his toys out of the pen and went off in the huff and came back with rock n roll...he released it to the record company only under the deal that they would release love is hell as well

there are very few artists that have enough of a financial power to be able to tell their record companies to go take a running jump and then release their stuff independantly

as for the jamie cullum comparison...about as wrong as its possible to be...but hey...thats always been your way hasn't it AC? stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Completely missed the joke I was making but ok.

-AC

jaden101
Completely missed the joke I was making but ok.

-AC

do enlighten us mere mortals then

Alpha Centauri
If you didn't get it then you didn't get it. Just try harder.

I'll make them easier next time.

-AC

jaden101
Just try harder.

mmm...nah...dont think i'll bother

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by furryman
can't say I've ever heard anything apart from his rendition of Wonderwall, which completely dwarfs Oasis'

Not hard though.

KillTheLight
I like most of his stuff...some of his songs can be quite blah though..but other then that he's pretty decent.

alic88
ok therez a difference between ryan adams and bryan adams right?

Ou Be Low hoo
Whiskeytown were a great little band...

As for Ryan Adams, I love 'Gold' - The Rescue Blues is one of my favourite songs - but I haven't liked his more recent stuff so much.

jaden101
Originally posted by alic88

yes...to the extent that someone shouted "play summer of 69" at a ryan adams gig and he went ballistic and had the guy thrown out

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by alic88

HAHAHAHA.

Why would there not be a difference?

jaden101
some of his new stuff is up at his site

http://www.ryan-adams.com/index2.html

back to his country roots for this album...cold roses...out next week

jaden101
for those who care...jacksonville city lights is released today

http://www.ryan-adams.com/player_jcn.html

papabeard
I liked the first record Heartbreaker and the song So Alive, but I find the rest dull and uninspired, Gold I feel was overproduced and hence devoid of any real soul, however he is a very prolific songwriter but I think the quality suffers as a result.

Morning_Glory
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Kasia7/Ryan%20Adams/4f1736a9.jpg

random

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.