Did you not like Jar Jar or the Gungans?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eXSBass
I personally loved Jar Jar and the Gungans. But in Episode I, not everybody has my taste.
So did you not like Jar Jar or the Gungans as a whole?

Obiwalker08
JAR JAR WAS WAAY TOO COMICAL FOR A STAR WARS MOVIE....3p0 and artoo were good enough

Uber_God
jar jar was a cool character

Joseph_Kerr
My first viewing of TPM I was somewhat annoyed by Jar Jar. After viewing the movie again I remembered that these were made for kids and that I should remember what it was like seeing ANH in the theatre at seven.. then I loved the character. Jar Jar is necessary.. because he is the every day person. Not everyone can be a jedi, a senator, a queen. And even everyday people get wrapped up in an adventure.

Red Superfly
Originally posted by Joseph_Kerr
My first viewing of TPM I was somewhat annoyed by Jar Jar. After viewing the movie again I remembered that these were made for kids and that I should remember what it was like seeing ANH in the theatre at seven.. then I loved the character. Jar Jar is necessary.. because he is the every day person. Not everyone can be a jedi, a senator, a queen. And even everyday people get wrapped up in an adventure.

But, thats what C3PO was.

Nobody could understand Jar Jars existence because he was effectivey fulfilling C3PO's (out of his depth in a big grand battle) role.

There was absolutely no need to write C3PO out of that role.

If ANYBODY uses the "well he was only just built and couldn't move properly" is full of crap. that wouldn't have been an issue if the script was written half decent anyway. Darth Vader building 3PO? That has to be the most ludicrous thing ever. Just make him a damn protocol droid, we didn't need to see Obi-Wan being born, so why 3PO?

3PO and R2D2 are the comic relief, not Jar Jar.

3PO is the iconic comic relief that we identify more, mainly because he's like the little old man inside us all, always complaining and not getting the bigger picture. Jar Jar could barely string a coherant sentence together - only an equally retarded person could identify with Jar Jar Binks.

tpaquin
Originally posted by Red Superfly
But, thats what C3PO was.

Nobody could understand Jar Jars existence because he was effectivey fulfilling C3PO's (out of his depth in a big grand battle) role.

There was absolutely no need to write C3PO out of that role.

If ANYBODY uses the "well he was only just built and couldn't move properly" is full of crap. that wouldn't have been an issue if the script was written half decent anyway. Darth Vader building 3PO? That has to be the most ludicrous thing ever. Just make him a damn protocol droid, we didn't need to see Obi-Wan being born, so why 3PO?

3PO and R2D2 are the comic relief, not Jar Jar.

3PO is the iconic comic relief that we identify more, mainly because he's like the little old man inside us all, always complaining and not getting the bigger picture. Jar Jar could barely string a coherant sentence together - only an equally retarded person could identify with Jar Jar Binks.

See, I see where you're coming from, but I don't see it necessary to have R2 or C3PO in the prequels at all. In fact, i think that their presence serves to simply slap fans in the face with "the connections". Jar Jar was a (feeble) attempt at replacing them, and when it didn't pan out(which it didn't) Georce must have said, "Oh, well. Back to the uninspired plan..."

I agree that 3PO is the comic relief. As a youngin', he was always my favorite, but the prequels were supposed to present new characters, and because they didn't work, Lucas reverted to old ones, instead of coming up with truly creative output.

Lord S
Jar Jar could have been better...if they didn't overdo it. Just way too much comedy, and bad comedy at that, at the wrong times. Overkill.

I'm a little more forgiving now, but there are still moments in TPM that make me cringe. I totally don't mind him in AOTC.

Boss Nass and the other Gungans were cool.

Darth_Janus
I didn't see the idea of Jar Jar being neccessary either. Comic relief is something I look to my friends for, not a STar Wars movie. While there should be some levity in the works, the tone should still be serious. As for the Gunguns themselves... well.... I can let them slide.

Ogami Itto
there was none of this "slap stick" rubbish in the OT(until the SE) sure there was humour but very light ! Jar Jar was too OTT! in your face getting his tongue caught! stepping in DOO!! horrible!!! he was ok in AOTC tho

Jerico
Jar Jar was ****ed, end of story.

ickeris2003
J

ickeris2003
Jar Jar is a very annoying character. I didnt like him in TPM. His accent is very annoying. I really enjoyed him in AOTC though because he didn't come out that much. I hope anakin kills him in ROTS... mwahahaha. Death to the gungan mwahahahaha. evil face

Darth_Nefarus
Jar Jar Binks is the worst character ever. Star Wars should never be reduced to fart jokes and/or "Exsqueeze Me?" lines.
F*ck Jar Jar in his retarded *ass

Ogami Itto
LOL Nefarus!! our only salvation is that he goes to Alderaann with bail and dies in ANH!!

Jedi_Snake
Jar Jar Binks and the Gungans are great! heh Mesa liken Jar Jar!

DenKi
MA SA GONNA THINK ABOUT THIS ONE SA

Sadako of Girth
Sadly you can see him in ROTJ at the Naboo sequence... And you can DEFINITELY hear him shouting:
"Weeeeeeeeesssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

The bastard...

I could have tolorated the Gungans, in an Ewoky kind of way...But not Binks...... And certainly not in ep1...........

Ogami Itto
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
!!! he lives still?? eek!

Sadako of Girth
Sacrilage at the church of SW though it is, it would appear so.....

*Please let that be "Son of Jar-Jar" on that tower in ROTJ and that Jar-Jar DOES go to Alderaan.... Please god....? Please???? I don't ask you for much Oh lord.... But please-Just this one thing.... Smite the amphibian from your holy map o'lord.......... stick out tongue *

SithSpy
Sadako since when dont you like Jar Jar? Hmm never woulda guessed it cool wink

Sadako of Girth
LOL
*Beats Jar-Jar viciously with a claw hammer and throws salt and vinegar over his wounds and allows him the privilage of slowly bleeding to death on Sadako's porch.....*

*But allows the other gungans to live and they all laugh at Jar-Jars
pained demise....Ocassionally throwing rocks at the writhing mess on
the porch* evil face

KenpoKarate
I soley blame Jar Jar for the destrution of the Jedi order! Happy Dance To me Jar Jar is for the little kids. Every Star Wars movie has some cheezy ass character on it. Do I wish Jar Jar would get hit with some Sith Lightning, hell yea I do! laughing

MistaMandalore
Jar Jar could have been a fine character with the same lines if he didn't act like Roger Rabbit on ecstacy. The gungans themselves aren't great but they're not Ewok bad. Just Jar JAr.

jedimastercheif
I love both but I can see why people hated Jar Jar.

nolan lepaz
The Gungans weren't bad. They were warriors and pretty civiled except for that fat *ss chief. But Jar Jar was an abomination to Star Wars. I had to jab my eye out after seeing that Billy Sastard. pirate

jengafett
The Gungans were cool, have you seen the Gungan battle at the end of Ep 1, where one Gungan is punching the hell out of a battledroids face.

Milosz006
The Gungans always confused the hell outta me, why is the boss Gungan of a different race than the others?! Jar-Jar was so unecessary and should have been replaced by more R2 and C3PO who didn't really shine until AOTC and were underused in TPM.

exanda kane
It all started with the Ewoks ...

Julie
The Gungans were okay.

nolan lepaz
"not me my brother wanted to write a post remember he's 13" jar jar was a cool character to certain extent I like his importance in the films but seeing what he did by handed the army to Sidious on a silver platter well lets just hope for his sake he has no genetailia because I would chop it off and shove it up his *ss far enough for it to come out his mouth. But I hated the acts he did but loved the character, we can't always have serious characters in Star Wars or else we'd be like that sixed period teacher everyone hated who doesn't like fun.giljotiini

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.