REVIEW Porcupine Tree-In Absentia

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tptmanno1

Victor Von Doom
You may like the band Dredg.

Tptmanno1
When I get money again I'll check them out

Dr. Strangelove
Very good reviewthumb up . I'll have to check them out in the future.

Tptmanno1
cool,
You should, but you have to buy it, its not one you can DL pieces of it, its a package...

Deathblow
Wow, can't believe you actually got it!

Glad you liked it, but it's a shame it didn't have the same effect on you as it did me (I think it's on a par with Lateralus). I loved the way it based itself on a very interesting and disturbing recurring theme, but never got bogged down into becoming a pretentious concept album. You got the diversity thing right though, Blackest Eyes sounds like Rage Against The Machine jamming with Radiohead and Gravity Eyelids sounds like A Perfect Circle meets The Flaming Lips, in fact all the tracks have elements of Tool, Pink Floyd, Failure, Incubus and probably tons of other things I can't put my finger on. And some of them like Lips Of Ashes and .3 are beyond comparisons. I like the vocalist, he may not be spectacular but his voice never sounds out of place amongst all the weird and wacky instruments. He sounds halfway between Brandon Boyd and Jonathan Donahue. And my favorite track is Trains. Probably the best acoustic guitar work I've ever heard.

And yeah get El Cielo by Dredg if you like this, same kind of arty/prog rock with a Tool-ish edge, but slightly simpler. Also check out Deserter's Songs by Mercury Rev, very much the same kind of aura as PT.

Korri
icon5 B!tch!! lets kick him evil face

Tptmanno1
Originally posted by Deathblow
Wow, can't believe you actually got it!

Glad you liked it, but it's a shame it didn't have the same effect on you as it did me (I think it's on a par with Lateralus). I loved the way it based itself on a very interesting and disturbing recurring theme, but never got bogged down into becoming a pretentious concept album. You got the diversity thing right though, Blackest Eyes sounds like Rage Against The Machine jamming with Radiohead and Gravity Eyelids sounds like A Perfect Circle meets The Flaming Lips, in fact all the tracks have elements of Tool, Pink Floyd, Failure, Incubus and probably tons of other things I can't put my finger on. And some of them like Lips Of Ashes and .3 are beyond comparisons. I like the vocalist, he may not be spectacular but his voice never sounds out of place amongst all the weird and wacky instruments. He sounds halfway between Brandon Boyd and Jonathan Donahue. And my favorite track is Trains. Probably the best acoustic guitar work I've ever heard.

And yeah get El Cielo by Dredg if you like this, same kind of arty/prog rock with a Tool-ish edge, but slightly simpler. Also check out Deserter's Songs by Mercury Rev, very much the same kind of aura as PT.
Well I don't think it was that kind of album,
Tool is just like an all out assault, This is more layed back. but Great album. Its so crazy how you can say, yea they sound like this band,one one part, and a completly different band on another song, its awesome

Deathblow
Course it isn't, it's nothing like Lateralus, but in terms of modern prog records, I think In Absentia is on a par with it.

Tptmanno1
quality wise, I totally agree.

Morgoths_Wrath
This album is amazing, I was blown away.

Morgoths_Wrath
I can't wait til Deadwing comes out. April 26th!

Darth Revan
I was also blown away. This is one of those rare albums where you could sit down and just listen to it all the way through without being bored for a second.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.