Lost in Translation....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

big gay kirk
Many of the christian churches' (plural intended) beliefs are based on misunderstandings and mistranslations of the Bible... after all, its hard enough to translate between german and Danish, so between Hebrew and greek, or Aramaic to Latin... idioms were changed, and other stuff altered.... so we have a "Virgin" Mary (the original Aramaic is "Young woman..."wink Jesus dying on a Friday and rising on a sunday due to someone who wasn't acquainted with judaism enough to realise the difference between a Yearly and a Weekly sabbath... we have God creating the world, where the hebrew has "Gods..." and we have Satan as an "enemy" where this would be better translated as "tester" or "advocate..." and, as bad record compilations adverts always say... many many more....

Jackie Malfoy
Every religon has there own beliefs on what is right and what is wrong.JM

BlackC@t
I know a lot of christians that try to force thier beliefs on me.

It really pisses me off.
They seem very intolerant to me.

debbiejo
You are right about the mistranslations. The more I have studied it the more I find. I've even looked at the Gnostics and the Essenes to see what they have said about Jesus. Also I've hear of a book called the "Holy twelve" which is supposed to have been written by the 12 disciples and that this is the full version and not edited by the powerful church back then. I haven't read it yet, but am curious. What other mistranslations have you found out about.

big gay kirk
not just mistranslations... look at Pilate.... reading the bible, who would ever know that he was one of the most despised, ruthless and malicious governors Rome ever had,...which was why he was given Judaea....

debbiejo
It's interesting to read the Gnostic's of what Pilate said about the trial of Jesus and crucification.

Storm
We humans have a tremendous capacity for filtering, distorting or spinning any text we read, any event we observe, any truth we learn. The biblical writers and editors were no different in this respect than any of us.

ushomefree
THE HOLY BIBLE... and guess what?

Most people are unware of the proof contained in the Bible. Popular media tends to present general opinion, incorporating uninformed viewpoints. Realizing the incredible evidence of the Holy Bible requires more depth than popular opinion.

No work as survived and spread as the Gospel has. SOMETHING MAJOR HAPPENDED. There were no printing presses, no photocopiers, no quick ways to copy manuscripts. Nevertheless, the Gospel quickly expanded throughout the Roman Empire. Comprehending the scale of this vast explosion of hand-copied documents is only possible by comparing the number of extant New Testament manuscripts with those of other abundant documents.

Of historical works, PLINY THE YOUNGER has 7 original manuscripts, THUCYDIDES 8, HERODOTUS 8, GALLIC WARS 10, LLIAD 643 and the NEW TESTAMENT 24,970.

Having more surviving early manuscripts means having more cross-checks to verify accuracy. Today's Holy Bible is verified to a textual accuracy of 99.5 percent. Some biblical copies are old enough to show eyewitnesses' confirmation (made within 25 years of events). That's flash news in ancient times.

Earliest copies of other manuscripts don't even beign to compare. PLINY THE YOUNGER 750 years, THUCYDIDES 1,300 years, HERODOTUS 1,300 years, GALLIC WARS 1,000 years, and LLIAD 500 years. Why do some doubt biblical acccuracy, yet readily accept other, less reliable history?

Until this century, the earliest Old Testament copies were from about A.D. 1,000 (simular to typical historical works). Skeptics argued textual corruption was possible. Others argued miracles of prophecy, especially concering Jesus; were recorded centuries after Christ and were changed to fit the outcome of history.

Modern Archaeological discoveries soundly refute such claims. Thousands of much earlier documents now verify biblical accuracy.

Perhaps the most important Archaeological find in history is the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls in 1947-48. Discovered accidently by a Bedouin shepard searching a cave in the Qumran region near the Dead Sea, the scrolls have been hidden by the Essenes (a Jewish sect similar to the Pharisees and Sadducees) just prior to the fall of Jerusalem in A.D. 70. It took almost 20 years to uncover all the scrolls and bring them together in one location.

The discorvery includes thousands of fragments and some complete scolls found in 11 caves. In total, about 800 scrolls have been identified, which include copies of every book of the Old Testament (except Esther), along with a number of other scrolls relevant to history and to the Essene community. Several scrolls exist in multiple copies. Many of the oldest scrolls (including the remarkably intact scroll of Isaiah) were written more than 200 years before Christ (long before the fulfillment of prophecies they contain about the coming Messiah).

In addition to the Dead Sea Scrolls, some of the most important biblical writings, of the thousands available, are the following:

Rylans Papyrus (A.D. 115 - A.D. 125), Bodmer Papyri (A.D. 150 - A.D. 200), Chester Beatty Papyri (A.D. 100 - A.D. 300), Codex Vaticanus (Early 300s) Codex Sinaiticus (Early 300s), and The Vulgate (A.D. 400)

There is more to the Holy Bible then you think. It's imperative to search for the truth, and to divorce yourselves from popular opinion. A person's opinion has no relevance in the light of facts.

CosmicSurfer
Quick question,

Is the Hebrew language older than the Aramaic language? I thought Aramaic was created first?

debbiejo
Hebrew is OT...Aramaic was spoken by Jesus.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
Every religon has there own beliefs on what is right and what is wrong.JM

That has nothing to do with the point of the thread. Try reading the topic next time

finti
it would be easier to make a chimp read William Blake loud than get Jm to read a topic

big gay kirk
Originally posted by ushomefree

Of historical works, PLINY THE YOUNGER has 7 original manuscripts, THUCYDIDES 8, HERODOTUS 8, GALLIC WARS 10, LLIAD 643 and the NEW TESTAMENT 24,970.

Having more surviving early manuscripts means having more cross-checks to verify accuracy.

but innaccuracies creep in, like a game of chinese whispers.... and accuracy and truth are two different things.... if number of manuscripts extant is taken as proof of truth, then the Lord of the Rings is more true than the bible.... plus, as a point of order, if there are indeed 24,970 "original" manuscripts for the new testament, are you claiming it was written by committee, or that over 24,900 books and letters were omitted from the final published version...

Evil Dead
wow.........ushomefree spent all that time typing and managed to not even come close to the point of this thread.

dude.......the point was not how widely spread or misinterpreted the bible is/was..........the point was in actually translating the text between languages. As I'm sure you are well aware of, many words in one language do not have an exact counterpart in another.........so while translating the text between languages, some words must be altered to the most similar term existing in the other language. After being translated through several languages before English, many words were corrupted as they had no direct counterparts.......only words with similar meanings.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Evil Dead
wow.........ushomefree spent all that time typing and managed to not even come close to the point of this thread.

dude.......the point was not how widely spread or misinterpreted the bible is/was..........the point was in actually translating the text between languages. As I'm sure you are well aware of, many words in one language do not have an exact counterpart in another.........so while translating the text between languages, some words must be altered to the most similar term existing in the other language. After being translated through several languages before English, many words were corrupted as they had no direct counterparts.......only words with similar meanings.

This means that the bible is more of a work of today then of the past. Interpretation and translation is a refined art form that few know well today, and the people who interpret and translate with their own agenda have run amok.

big gay kirk
precisely.... one of my bibles admits that it is a transliteration into modern English of a transliteration into what was modern English two hundred years ago of a translation into what was modern English in the 17th Century from a Latin translation of a Greek text translated from hebrew and Aramaic..... now have a read of "English as she is spoke...." which if I remember correctly is a guide to translating between French and English written by someone who spoke Portuguese....

debbiejo
I think I've mentioned before that many people try to get to the original by getting a Greek/lexicon Bible, though what they don't realize is that a "Greek Translation" is not from some original Greek texts...It's from the Latin....so you're actually getting a Greek from Latin translation...Not Greek from the "Original" Greek....

And yep many languages do differ so much that one can't be literally translated into another language....

mr.smiley
Originally posted by ushomefree
THE HOLY BIBLE... and guess what?

Most people are unware of the proof contained in the Bible. Popular media tends to present general opinion, incorporating uninformed viewpoints. Realizing the incredible evidence of the Holy Bible requires more depth than popular opinion.

No work as survived and spread as the Gospel has. SOMETHING MAJOR HAPPENDED. There were no printing presses, no photocopiers, no quick ways to copy manuscripts. Nevertheless, the Gospel quickly expanded throughout the Roman Empire. Comprehending the scale of this vast explosion of hand-copied documents is only possible by comparing the number of extant New Testament manuscripts with those of other abundant documents.

This is utter BS!

Read each account of Jesus' crucifixtion.His last words are always different.Anyhow I question how much you realy have studied this subject and where you copied your reply from.
Having more surviving early manuscripts means having more cross-checks to verify accuracy. Today's Holy Bible is verified to a textual accuracy of 99.5 percent. Some biblical copies are old enough to show eyewitnesses' confirmation (made within 25 years of events). That's flash news in ancient times.

Earliest copies of other manuscripts don't even beign to compare. PLINY THE YOUNGER 750 years, THUCYDIDES 1,300 years, HERODOTUS 1,300 years, GALLIC WARS 1,000 years, and LLIAD 500 years. Why do some doubt biblical acccuracy, yet readily accept other, less reliable history?

Until this century, the earliest Old Testament copies were from about A.D. 1,000 (simular to typical historical works). Skeptics argued textual corruption was possible. Others argued miracles of prophecy, especially concering Jesus; were recorded centuries after Christ and were changed to fit the outcome of history.

Modern Archaeological discoveries soundly refute such claims. Thousands of much earlier documents now verify biblical accuracy.

Perhaps the most important Archaeological find in history is the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls in 1947-48. Discovered accidently by a Bedouin shepard searching a cave in the Qumran region near the Dead Sea, the scrolls have been hidden by the Essenes (a Jewish sect similar to the Pharisees and Sadducees) just prior to the fall of Jerusalem in A.D. 70. It took almost 20 years to uncover all the scrolls and bring them together in one location.

The discorvery includes thousands of fragments and some complete scolls found in 11 caves. In total, about 800 scrolls have been identified, which include copies of every book of the Old Testament (except Esther), along with a number of other scrolls relevant to history and to the Essene community. Several scrolls exist in multiple copies. Many of the oldest scrolls (including the remarkably intact scroll of Isaiah) were written more than 200 years before Christ (long before the fulfillment of prophecies they contain about the coming Messiah).

In addition to the Dead Sea Scrolls, some of the most important biblical writings, of the thousands available, are the following:

Rylans Papyrus (A.D. 115 - A.D. 125), Bodmer Papyri (A.D. 150 - A.D. 200), Chester Beatty Papyri (A.D. 100 - A.D. 300), Codex Vaticanus (Early 300s) Codex Sinaiticus (Early 300s), and The Vulgate (A.D. 400)

There is more to the Holy Bible then you think. It's imperative to search for the truth, and to divorce yourselves from popular opinion. A person's opinion has no relevance in the light of facts.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.