Is Beauty Skin Deep?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

silver_tears
Who thinks that beauty is all about what people look like? curlers

This is stemming from a lot of things I have been reading around here. confused
People everywhere are insecure and have low self-esteem.
In the OTF "Do You Love Me" threads pop up all the time. roll eyes (sarcastic)

So the question is, when you see someone who isn't the Hollywood definition of beautiful do you just walk on by, or do you bother to learn something about them before judging them based on looks? no expression

Like at school or work for example......
Are you friends with people who in society may be considered ugly based on their looks alone, or do you just hang out with people who are cute and or sexy? smart

Or do you wish you looked like someone else because you consider yourself to be ugly? sad

Linkalicious
I'm happy with who I am, but that doesn't mean i don't do things like go to the gym, style my hair differently, try different styles of clothes in order to make myself look better.

In passing, i tend to notice the more attractive women and make an attempt to get to know them. But what's attractive to me may be of lower standard than most guys...i try to be open minded about people.

At school or work, any person that is willing to have a conversation with me and get to know me is worth having as a friend..if not more.

SumWatTwisted
I think beauty is what's on the inside. I really don't care if you're attractive or not. If we share the same interests and really like eachother, then I'll be with you.

Julie
"Do you love me"....hums the tune to the song from Fidler on the Roof....I was listening to the soundtrack a few days ago....
low self esteem is a sad thing....I've been wondering about that

lil bitchiness
Beauty is not only skin deep, and people who believe so, will not end up well no

One very important thing to remember is that beauty fades and it will fade, so what do you do when you grow older and release you've wasted your life with someone who looked good, and now that the looks is gone, nothing else is left. In my view thats pretty tragic.

I am friends with all kinds of people, and to me they are all beautiful and great.

silver_tears
You rock milla thumb up
I have views on this, but the post will be long and I gotta run, update later big grin

Julie
you are beautiful because God made you....whether you're pretty by human standards is another matter....and yes, it does fade so love the inside of a person as well as the outside.

Kaleanae
Everybody is beautiful in their own way

Julie
precisely.....

LegolasIsMyMan
I take the time to get to know someone, even if they aren't the perfect deffinition of beautiful to everyone, because i know how it is to not be given the chance because you aren't "Beautiful."I know i don't like it when i get done that way,so i don't do it to others, cause alot of people who aren't "beautiful" are so beautiful on the inside...they truely are beautiful.I just wish people didn't judge on face, and or body type, just on a persons personality and character.

tazman
honestly, looks is the first thing you notice on a person (given that you haven't talked to this person over the phone or internet first). looks may be the initial attraction, but it's only partial to what would really make you attracted to a person. even the prettiest of girls can be very unattractive once you get to know them, and same goes for guys to the ladies i'm sure. just as the opposite is some 'ugly' girls can be very attractive and fun to be around. i'll be honest, looks does matter to me, but little in comparison to other attributes.

things like personality, self confidence, sense of self worth, intelligence, sense of humor, direction in life, good conversationalist, interests, goals, etc., all come into play after the initial attraction and are far more worth having then looks. as already stated, looks fade away and/or something could happen that takes the looks away (ie car accident, burn, etc).

it's sad that in society, more for girls then guys i think, the pressure put on you to be skinny and beautiful. it's one thing to want to be healthy and take care of yourself, there's nothing wrong with that, but to feel ugly because you're not a stick on a magazine is very sad. sad

SumWatTwisted
I totally agree

tazman
oh, btw to answer the other part of the thread, i have friends that is a mixture of both. some are overweight and do not have beautiful faces, but are extremely fun to be with, and some of my friends turn heads.

oh, and one more thing i wanted to add to the list i stated before. one of the most attractive things a girl can have (and this may be true about guys as well), is someone who is nothing but themselves and is okay with that. if they want to be goofy, they are. if they want to be strong and confident, they are. if they want to go out and play tackle football and get dirty, they will. if they want to wear a nice dress and be a princess for a night, they will.

ok, i'll shut up now. stick out tongue

Phoenix
To me, beauty means nothing.

To society, beauty means everything.

And people wonder why I'm anti-social... wink

BackFire
It varies from person to person. Shallow people may only care about looks and only find someone who is physically good looking beautiful. But most people will find beauty with other aspects of a person.

whatshisface
two words: shallow hal. that pretty much sums up my opinion on this subject.

yerssot
*runs in, sees cermie hasn't posted yet*
What? you expected a beautiful pancreas? laughing out loud (had to do that cerm)

Cause these days it's cool to be insecure roll eyes (sarcastic)

You already gave the answer yourself: it's the OTF, it's full of attentionwhores

if you mean, if I look only at external appearance: no, when I talk to someone, I don't care how they look like at all. Of course, the chances of talking to a girl you think is pretty are higher ... unfortunatly

society can nag all they want, I hang out with people that I like mentally, cause how the frecking hell can you hang out with people that are cute but have absolutely no brains or the same interests as you?? talk about clothes all day? perfume? heck no! I love to talk about sports, movies, news in general etc.!

I don't consider myself ugly, I know I am, it's an established fact big grin

Baylin
Annoyingly people do tend to see the outward appearance and make a judgment on it. Which is a real shame because in my experience people who are physically unattractive to you, as you get to know and like them on a personal level, magically become more beautiful. In the end its not all to do with what the eyes see but what the mind perceives.

I have an a picture somewhere at home with a very very gorgeous woman on and the caption underneath says something like "She will annoy the hell out of someone somewhere because to someone she is a real cow!" and that to me says it all.

SK88728
i think it would be hard to truly love someone that isn't all that good looking. i hear ppl saying they love who ever for their personality, but that is needed, so is looks.

yerssot
of course there need to be some physical attraction but besides that, you can clearly go for personality

silver_tears
A little of both is great love

Baylin
Not necessarily I love myself and I really dont consider myself to be much of a picture unless you're talking about abstract art that is...

realworlddreams
my feelings:
1) it is impossible to love a supermodel because ur first impression of them is solely from their body/features...
2) beauty may begin on the skin level, but it has to continue under the skin into the heart to allow them to be loved...my gf is beautiful, but its her mind and her overall persona taht makes her attractive.
3) if u judge whether or not sumone is ur friend based on their looks, ur shallower than the puddle at the end of my street...get over physical features, its the person inside the body...not the body itself.

SK88728
come on, you ppl are saying that basically you guys never dayed anyone just for their looks.

realworlddreams
i didnt...y would i wanna go out w/sumone i couldnt have a intellecutally stimulating conversation w/? thats jus stupid...wut would u say? "u look hott..." "i know! isnt it great (hehe)" "yeah, ur hott" "i know i am...its my selling point..." OR "what do u think about the revolution in haiti?" "oh, i dont hate anyone...im nice like that"
c? it would get kinda boring...

SK88728
i'm guessing thats a no for you......

silver_tears
I'm answering my own questions here smart

Beauty for me is the human being in full. Their personality and their looks put together to make one. Everyone is beautiful in some perspective, some people have looks, others senses of humour, and other even have intelligence, and so on. That's what makes people beautiful in my eyes their uniqueness and differences.

I also think that the Hollywood definition is a bit over done. Who says you have to be a size 4 to be sexy What the f**k? Many people are sexy in their own ways. Hollywood however has implanted a vision of the perfect person, something not many people can achieve and many try very hard. For me sexiness is really confidence, do you believe in yourself and are cool with who you are.

I hang out with everyone who cares about me or cares enough to try to become my friend. If we all looked alike, what fun is that roll eyes (sarcastic)

Personally I can't say that I do wish to look like someone else.I love myself, and figure it could be much worse, I'm happy and healthy and that is most important, although there are of course times I wish I looked like the hottest celebrities embarrasment, but those times pass, and you just have to love yourself for who you are!

Evy_O
Beauty is both inside and outside big grin
Yeah, I also believe the person has to be attractive as a whole.

yerssot
if so, I'm scr3w3d sad

Evy_O
yes, yes you are yes

yerssot
darn it sad I should get a mask or somesort

Evy_O
something like that might help smile

bag

yerssot
it suits you

Evy_O
naaah, I prefer them to be pink happy brown isn't really my color

yerssot
nothing is eek!

The Omega

Asami
Jim Carrey once said that only ugly people say that beauty is within the eye of the beholder.

Evy_O
That quote by Jim Carrey is true partly, though I'm not too sure confused It HAS happened to me, thinking one boy is good-looking, while another friend of mine to think he's not erm I guess that there IS objective beauty, but when it comes to liking someone the factor of "chemistry" should be taken under consideration as well.

How would *you* know roll eyes (sarcastic)

wuTa
jim carey said that in liar liar...great movie... i agree....chemistry is a huge factor when likeing someone....i dont know if beauty is skin deep because eveyrbody has their own definition of beauty

Corran
Beauty is not skin deep, beauty is more an inner quality

Phoenix
If people don't like me cos I'm ugly, its their loss, cos I'm the coolest person there is! big grin

yerssot
and I agree with that phoe! *hugs*

Phoenix
*huggles*

Storm
The mirror reflects our lives back to us,
and shows us
what we look like to others,
but it doesn' t show what we look like to ourselves,
and it doesn' t show what' s inside.
It only shows things
that shouldn't matter to anyone...

yerssot
*hugs phoe*
you're the coolest person there is phoe!

Phoenix
Happy Dance <-- me being cool

yerssot
you look yellow messed

Phoenix
but a COOL yellow...

yerssot
of course! it's you!

Phoenix
big grin

big gay kirk
Good looks are skin deep... beauty is eternal and hidden far beneath...

i slayed buffy
if someone is not very attractive and they have a great personality it makes them more attractive because u no they r an awesome person! big grin

shaber
Physical beauty has more to do with the bone structure than the skin.

MCElite
Looks attract you personality keeps you stayin smile

Xena fan
Good looks always give a person more confidence. i dont believe you need good looks all the time. But sometimes is good for confort.

Linkalicious
i'm inclined to disagree because it seems to me that the shallowest people are often the prettiest physically.

shaber
You've been watching Shallow Hal? confused

I would like to think that I am not unreasonably biased on looks, but last time I went to the Accident and Emergencyu clinic the receptionist was literally inhumanly ugly eek! (not merely ill-favoured) and I was sickened a little bit.

Fire
I agree wiv yerss on everything he said in his first thread.

about beauty being only skin deep

well beautiful people, their beauty might be skin deep
beautiful human beings, their beauty runs deeper than the deepest ocean

Linkalicious
In Southern California beauty goes far deeper than the skin...it goes to the plastic that is under the skin!

punkyhermy
i dunno but with me, the people i truely love.One funny thing happened to a year back.my then best freinds mother, didn't appear very attractive to me.i didn't even know her,but she appeared to be the thinlipped,stern looking woman i'd never wanna cross.But things changed before i can say brucey! she was my best freind.i swear, i'd never liked an older person more than hr,well apart from my parents.and she was beautiful to, really, soon me and my freinds while gossiping about beautiful moms came up,i'd alwas vote fro her.she just seemd to be or was really beautiful, i dunno...but i thought and believed she was beautiful...

badkittykitty
I had a prime example right before my eyes just last night at my job.

a few weeks ago they hired a 20 something male who looked quite handsome. I haven't spoke to him till last night and let me just say his beauty faded fast when he opened his mouth and the dumbest shit came out..yuck I never want to speak to him again much less look at him yuck!

yerssot
technically you don't have to

Linkalicious
wow he musta been bad if BKK's personality couldn't stand him...

Fire
yea I wonder what he said

Linkalicious
"hey toots! shake that money maker over here for me *stops to whipe slobber* Hey I ain't finished staring yet, lemme see those legs!!!"

Fire
okie if he said that he's an idiot

Linkalicious
well i'm thinking it would take something along those lines...or worst to piss her off. Idk what makes her mad, i've never seen her be anything but pleasant.....or witty.

Fire
true

A Talking Dog
i would have to agree because i really can't see through skin.

badkittykitty
you guys are so cute! yay thanks,you made me giggle laughing out loud

I tell ya a little about our conversation cause seriously its baffling...

he approached me and asked...(I'll do the convo msn style with him- /me- bare in mind I've never even said hello to this person till now..oh and my friend I'm referring to is a man)

him-hi,your name is christine right?
me-yeah
him-did I see you yesterday at Vienna restaurant?
me- yes I was there
him-who were you with?
me-a friend of mine
him-are you sure you look a little guilty
me- guilty? what is that suppose to mean?
him-well why don't you want to answer the question?
me- I did
him-let me tell you something,you should never answer a question like that when talking to a man. a friend can mean anything
me-so what? I don't know you I don't need to explain myself to a perfect stranger(I rolled my eyes here)
him-i'm not trying to be nosy.....what would you think if I answered that same question to you?
me-I wouldn't give it any thought at all.
him-all I know is if you were my woman you would have your ass at home instead of running around with your 'friends'
me-and if you were my man I'd send you back to the lab to get your neck bolts tightened.

see how absurd! I don't even know why I argued with him but the conversation went on like that for about 10 more minuets till I was so steamed I walked off...i seen him approaching me today and I turned my heels as fast as I could! laughing out loud

Fire
the guy's a morron

yerssot
apperently you attract freaks and geeks, BKK... that guy ... us ... wink

ooooh, and giggle? can we hear? shifty

Linkalicious
^ (in best Sandlot voice)

Yah! Yah! Truly!!

badkittykitty
laughing out loud

silver_tears
he should be shot schmoll

mechmoggy
If I was BKK's man, she'd never leave the bedroom!

Meeeow. wink

Clovie
and he wasn't kidding? blink
i would go away sooner.

silver_tears
Back to the task at hand, who actually thinks beauty is in the ye of the beholder? big grin

Clovie
i do think so. love is blind yes

mechmoggy
I'm not sure, there really are some ugly munters about. eek!

Alpha Centauri
My personal view is this:

I don't and wouldn't call someone ugly, especially not in any malicious way. I have tastes and preferences like most males. I have an idea of what's attractive to me and what isn't and regardless of me being someone who really does appreciate the person, not the body, I still don't think that it means I should have to go and date someone I don't think is attractive.

I don't care if someone else thinks a girl I like is attractive, if I think they are, that's all that matters to me.

If you can sit there and truly say you have never seen a man or woman that has really turned you off physically, you're either blind or lying to be honest. Just because you have appreciation of good looks it doesn't make you superficial. It's when the appreciation of good looks overrides the person containing those looks. If a girl is super hot, I won't hang out with her if she's a moron or a *****. That's not someone I wanna be around.

For example, I have a friend who is 18 and weighs 21 stone (dunno what that is in pounds). I personally cannot imagine him being attractive to most females and to be honest he's a bit simple. However he isn't malicious or vindictive and for the most part he's really funny and friendly, so I hang around with him.

Beauty is a term used in relation to something visual. So it is partially to do with that. I know beautiful people who aren't necessarily pleasing to the eye, I know ******* girls who are sexy as hell and vice versa.

Is beauty skin deep? Not totally.

I think that the issue is confused alot. If a guy or girl doesn't date someone coz they don't find them attractive, I personally don't see anything HUGELY wrong with that. At all. If a guy or girl rejects a person due to status, creed, race or what not. I think that's when it gets into superficiality. At the end of it, we all have preferences and are entitled to settle for no less than our preferences if that's what we choose.

-AC

manjaro
when it comes to beauty im a simple kind of guy. im totally not trying to be funny here, and i know this cliche has been worn out,but the personality, and the interpersonal skills are what stand out to me. in fact, they dont even have to be a nice person., as long as they/re nice to me..... for under any given circumstances I'll f uck anybody, no matter what they look like....no joke what-so-ever!

im like jeff foxworthy:"i want a beer, and i wanna see something nekkid"
thats all i need and im good to go

Alpha Centauri
Manjaro obviously has one needed female attribute: Breathing.

-AC

Adam_PoE
Physically unattractive people have to have beautiful personailities, otherwise they would have nothing to offer.

shaber
Beauty is more in the bone structure than in the skin, everyone knows that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.