Why Low Self Esteem?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
I don't get it, how can someone have low self esteem?
Do they just not like themselves.....is it a matter of not feeling likes or appreciated for who you are? Help me out people, I just don't understand

silver_tears
People with low self-esteem feel worthless.
It stems from everyday life, whether they are appreciated or not.
If someone makes you feel special and wanted your self-esteem will obviously be much higher.
It goes up and down really, you ave to find a perfect balance, because too much of it can be just as bad messed

Julie
does it have anything to do with depression?

LegolasIsMyMan
I have low selfesteem because i am not happy being me mind body and soul, all of it, i am not happy with the person i have become, that is why i have low selfesteem...and some people don't help the fact eitehr, i mean skool kids are like so rude and they put you down and that makes you feel even lower, so, i just tried to explain it in my pov....

BackFire
Probably stems from band memories in which they feel belittled. Usually low self esteem is attributed to actually caring what others think of you, which is usually a bad idea. If you make yourself and those who are close to you happy then you have succeeded and shouldn't care what strangers think of you.

wuTa
some self-esteem is from depression some is from what like backfire said about being put down alot while growing up some people have low self esteem people becuase they were never taught how to sitck up for themselves so when there being put down they dont know what to do

whatshisface
i'm at a stage in my life righ now, i really really like what i have become. i could be better, a whole lot, but rght now i'm satisfied with my life. it's not perfect but i wouldn't wanna be anyone else. i did come through that "what people think" phase and i just grew out of it. right now, it's f*ck everbody else, it's all about me. i have a good job, a decent car, a loving family and good friends. low self esteem is the product of trying to please people, which would never happen. just keep telling yourself it's all about you...

yerssot
perhaps you compare too much to others?

Baylin
I used to have real low self esteem then someone suggested to me the idea of having a choice - I could be myself or I could be a doormat!

By being myself I find people mostly treat with respect and accept me.
By being a doormat people ignore me as they walk all over me.

I know what I prefer and I know it isnt easy to change from a doormat to person but it IS possible!

Piggle Humsy
I suffer from real low self asteem it's mainly because I was bullied all of my childhood till I was about 16 and after being told your worthless for most of your life you start to beleive it, Luckily Im on the path to recovery now....Or so I hope..but I still find it really hard to go out among people I don't know as I feel they are all judging me and thinking horrible things about me.. no matter how many times I tell myself they probly don't even notice me ect.. It's a mental thing I just can't shake for now.. sad

Piggle one eye
x x x x

khalla
not to be cockey but i have high self esteem lol

Baylin
Its never an instant transformation. It took me about 8 years before I really got the hang of not giving a damn about what other people think of me, but I got there and you can too! wink

DemonicGambit-2
My low self esteem came from my mother, she always makes you feel like you can't do anything. And after 7 of us, she got pretty damn good at making us depend only on her. Sometimes out of nowhere I just get the feeling that I'm useless and can't do anything, but I'm trying to break out of that..

realworlddreams
maybe i have some social anxieties, but i honestly think i have relatively high self esteem...its gotten to the point where i can speak in front of complete strangers an have no problem with it. if im dedicated to something, it doesnt matter what others think of me...
as for low self-esteem, that part shows when i think of what i should be doing, like when i get bad grades or somethin, cuz i feel stupid and i know that im tryin hard, an for some reason, my tryin hard jus isnt good enough sometimes....

Scotty
studys have shown that playing sports, improves your selfesteem

G.P
*steps forward*
Hi, my name is G.P and I have low self esteem, for whatever I do I always think afterwards that I haven't done the right thing, or that I should have done better. Eventually, I end up thinking I'm a really stupid person (I generally use harsher words) , 'cos I always screw everything up, especially when it comes to things that are very important to me.
But no, I'm not depressed.

yerssot
just a slighter better form?

Vampiree
welcome g.p! *clapclapclap*

my name's vampy and i know why i have low self esteem... i suck.

G.P
Yerss => oh, yes, definitely !

Vampy => You're in that group therapy too ? wink

Vampiree
yeah! they kicked me out of the anger management class...

yerssot
it's a phenomenon?

Vampiree
*pokes yerss in the eye* ha... haha. hahahahahahahaa.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAA

yerssot
it's a steel one stick out tongue

Corlindel
I like to be appreciated for what I do like eveyone else. But, except for some persons, My self esteem and my proud in me is in first place.
I like me and evetuone must like theirselves smile

Vampiree
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA ha?

iluvpippin
some reasons that ppl have low self esteem...
1. cause ppl put them down
2. they think they're ugly
3. family issues

steely balls
i used to have low self esteem i changed mainly because i started to act more

iluvpippin
thats good smile my sexy b shouldnt have a low self esteem!

steely balls
doin stuff in front of people does help alot with self esteem

iluvpippin
yes....but some people it'd wreck theirs, if they did something embarresing and every1 laughed!

c0mputerj0sh
Don't ever be satisfied with your life. the moment you stop wanting it to be better is the moment you are ready for death.

I believe low self-esteem is a defense mechanism for rejection early on in life, either repetitive or hard-hit all at once. But people need to understand that you are the one rejecting yourself when you have low self-esteem. you control you, they don't. If they don't accept you, go your own way, it's what you were meant to do. Einstein was not a follower, he didn't fit in. I'm just saying don't change yourself to disappear into the masses. I also agree that too high self-esteem is also dangerous. first, it puts you on a plateau to be thrust off the cliff. you need to know your limitations. second, it makes you arrogant. I hate arrogant people.

oh yeah check my forum, its new but feed back is good. i have a question needing to be answered that i have not yet found addressed.

iluvpippin
i've got low selfesteem, but im still happy most of the times....i mean, i bet from reading my posts you wouldnt think i had low self esteem would you??

i slayed buffy
yeah only the ones that say "IM UGLY" lol i wod never hav that thort enter my little clueless head

punkyhermy
yes i had the prob ince upon a time. but nowadays it takes a lot of work from someone if they want to make me feel bad about myself...i gess i grew outta it...

Linkalicious
some people need to say cruel and harsh things to you in order to make themselves feel better about who they are. This doesn't actually raise their self esteem at all, but it does end up lower the other persons. Having a self image that you feel doesn't "fit in" with that of the people you see on a regular basis (ie school, work..etc) will also lower your self esteem.

Fire
well a lot of trouble wiv other kids did it for me, but after meeting some great friends a few years back that changed pretty rapidly

t_cozy_666
i all ways had low self esteem cause if school, life at why i started playing bass so to show that i am good at some thing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.