Star Wars and HELL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Smodden
I've noticed that Han Solo has said 'hell' in the films....in various forms like...'go to hell' .....or 'what the hell?'
but I was thinking...how would any of them know of 'hell'? they're in a galaxy very far away a long time ago, and certainly hell is not part of their culture or religion. or is this merely a mistake of lucas?

ArthasKnight
The best way to deal with this is to not think about it. Or else you start thinking of other things.

Just an example:
-Why do ships make noise in space?

Just one of those things that we should just accept and not question.

Smodden
Originally posted by ArthasKnight
The best way to deal with this is to not think about it. Or else you start thinking of other things.

Just an example:
-Why do ships make noise in space?

Just one of those things that we should just accept and not question.

Good point....and usually I'm not one to analyze things to death, but that question came to mind todaymessed

Morridini
Well, almost all religions and cultures have their own version of heaven and hell. So when we watches the movie he just says hell, instead of saying whatever hell would be called over there. If he had said "Go to fillifjonka" no one would have understood anything before GL would tell us that that was their version of hell, so to save time he just called it hell.

Ushgarak
Absolutely- that is the nerdy answer. None of them are talking English, it is all 'translated' for us. So Hell is a translation as well.

PVS
there's alot of weird things like that in OT SW dialogue. like when han says 'i dont suppose i could hotwire this thing'...how did car thief lingo become part of the SW universe? laughing out loud

yerssot
or Panaka says that they will be sitting ducks... what are the changes that the "earth-duck" is anatomically exactly the same as the "starwars-duck"?
same reason Basic is English

MistaMandalore
Or 'Hyperspace ain't like dusting crops kid'...you'd think crop dusting wouldn't still be an argricultural technique in such an advanced civilization.

Obi-OneManShow
Well, he better have those units in the south range repaired by midday, or there'll be fillifjonka to pay...

yerssot
at least they changed dollars to credits ...

Obi-OneManShow
...and shit to poodoo...

(Does anyone else think Obi-Wan should have said "shit" instead of "not good" in AOTC during the Kamino Jango fight? Why could Indiana Jones say it on the bridge in Temple of Doom, and not Obi? It would be nice to see the -arguably- most human and humorous of all Jedi give a little curse...)

yerssot
yeah,... that was so wizzard! no expression

BETPiece2010
Guys, I think you are forgetting the biggest one of all... Millenium FALCON!!! I know this means nothing, but in KOTOR, the Ebon HAWK.

I think it is just their way of helping us relate to it better. I mean, if they used all these words we couldn't figure out what they meant, then we would feel nothing when we watched the movies. It's like them all speaking English... it wouldn't REALLY be true, but it helps us to relate to the character and emotion.

And BTW, I think it is funny in AOTC when Obiwan says, "Oh, not good!" Just the way he said it (Ewan McGregor is brilliant) and just the way he should be really REALLY worried, he takes it calmly. To me, that is one of the best lines in the movie... maybe top 10 in the saga.

Just my thoughts...

Tangible God
You needed to revive this, why?

jollyjim311
Just to add to the old thread... in the Jedi vs. Sith comics they mention a lot of common Earth animals. I remember vultures...

Tangible God
Then there's the whole controversy on why HUMANS are out there.

steverules
I was gonna make a thread about this.

DarthMaul9123
yeah in lord of the rinds Gandalf says jesus when theyre outside of the mines of moria

Tangible God
Actually he murmers "Oh, it's useless."

Captain REX
Also, the Sith use Buzzard ships in the Jedi vs. Sith comics...

Obviously there are going to be human references. The nerdy answer is: it's only a translation for us. Ducks aren't really ducks.

JaehSkywalker
isn't their basic english? how the hell did english got there? so, what language do thay really speak?

Sesse
The question should be: "How the hell did basic got here?"

chinabing
They speak something called like "anabethgish"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.