Whats the deal with the cave scene in ESB?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mindbugaling
The part where luke goes into the cave and sees darth then cuts his head off revealing lukes face in darths helmet.

i understand the symbolism, but how did it happen? was it visuals sent through the force, was he meditating and searching deep inside himself finding something interesting?

Also.......

when luke lands on degobah and says to R2 that he feels like hes seen it before, does this mean that he had visited there when he was a kid? or maybe padme gave birth to him there......

what do you guys think, and do you think that it will be answered in EP3?

Ushgarak
It was internal, as Yoda clearly states. Luke was gaining insight from his own emotions.

As for visiting Dagobah... hard to be sure. Luke could have just seen the world through the Force before, and not been used to how that felt.

Darth Jello
read star wars infinities: a new hope. it is the only source that shows what would have happened if luke succeeded in the cave.

kittypuff
I always wondered if perhaps Luke had briefly been on Dagobah whilst being spirited away from his dad.

Ushgarak
Many people have so wandered, but there seems little logical reason as to why, at this point.

Darth Jello
if I recall correctly what happens is that luke doesn't encounter vader, instead he encounters the images of Padme, Shmi, Anakin, Palpatine, and many others, learning the depths of his father's fall and the conspiracey of the Clone Wars and rise of the sith. his vision concludes with an apparition of Darth Maul stating that "at last we will have our revenge"

VengeanceGOD
Unless Yoda hid him for a while before handing him over to Obi-wan.

Ushgarak
I didn't say no-one could think of a reason why, just nothing that there seems any logical point inserting into the film, is the point.

mephistodesigns
other than the fact that luke finds the place "familiar". but no, other than that there doesn't seem to be any good reason... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
That is the only reason anyone discusses it in the first place, obviously- but him being there is not a plot necessity.

Rogue Jedi
yoda was testing him. what more do you want to know?

lau_timmy
Yoda chose Dagobah for that very reason when he went into hiding. The dark side power was so strong there from the death of that Dark Jedi that it masked Yoda's presence. Who knows, it could very well be Count Dooku that Yoda chases after and kills on that planet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Darth Vader: If you only knew the power of the Dark Side. Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: He told me enough. He told me you killed him.
Darth Vader: No. I am your father.
Luke: No. That's not true. That's impossible.
Darth Vader: Search your feelings you know it to be true.
Luke: Nooooo. Nooooo.

Rogue Jedi
yoda also chose dagobah cuz it was rich with life. remember when luke said to r2 "i'm picking up massive life form readings".

Darth Jello
had luke been knowledgable of the light side, the cave would have revealed the truth to him. the truth of his origins and the sith. since there was still much darkness within him, the cave sent him a warning

Rogue Jedi
well put.

Colabee
I always thought Yoda gave Luke the vision....to scare the pants off him.

xeous
I always thought that Yoda was a little...Crooked. wink

Darth Jello
read the infinities, what he pulls on Vader in ESB is absolutely aw inspiring in one of the most psychological star wars scenes ever.

mindbugaling
whats the infinities again?

Darth Jello
a what if series of star wars comics

finti
to me the scene indicated Lukes battle with his inner fear, and what might happen if he doesnt watch his step

Darth Revan
If Mr. Timothy Zahn has it right, it was partly because of the cave's connection to the dark side, which caused Luke to create a vision of sorts

And Yoda warned him that he wouldn't need his weapons, so in a way Luke was taking a very small step towards the dark side by chosing the more "aggressive" path into the cave

Rogue Jedi
well put...good job, fint!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.