who directed episode II?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jedi fernando
yahoo says some stephen herekk dude...who is he?

go to this page and look in the right where it says "directed by:.."

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/starwars.html

they are probably wrong, very wrongo

ToMacco
sad

What the???

Where do you come up with this shit?

He-Man
GL directed it. That's wrong info on that site.

Volundro Ramm
Say what? April 1st was a while ago.

yerssot
yup GL did it alright

He-Man
I read Stephen Herek was the guy who directed "101 Dalmatians".

LanceWindu
How could GL not direct his PT movies?

Ushgarak
Well, he did say he wasn't going to... but chnaged his mind.

Irvin Kershner is still my favourite SW director.

LanceWindu
He's the one from ESB right?

Ushgarak
Yup.

GL originally planned to direct the first and last ones (twhen the last one was number nine); doubly so after the heart attack he hads during the original. But he ended up doing so much work on ROTJ anyway he decided he may as well be back in the seat for TPM. I'm not convinced that him doing the WHOLE prequel trilogy is a fantastic idea.

LanceWindu
Yeah, I'd like to see someone else do Ep3. Just for the diversity another director could bring to the table.

Emperor Helmet
keep dreaming.

ToMacco
The only reason Lucas directed Episode II was because TPM got such a piss-poor review. He wanted to prove that he could still make a good film, so he directed AotC.

Emperor Helmet
Do you think Lucas cares what critics think? Hell, everyone in Hollywood hates him. Lucas was never going to give the directing job to anyone else.

Kerschner was basicly the guy who said "action" and "cut". Lucas still was the final say on everything.

ESB would have been the same movie, no matter who directed it.

Ushgarak
Complete and utter pap. Kershner's contribution to ESB was immense.

ESB was the brainchild of FOUR people- Lucas, Kasdan, Kershner and Kurtz.

LanceWindu
You tell him Ush!

queeq
Absolutely. Kersher devised and designed all the action sequences as well. Lucas told him even never to mind FX restrictions and just make up the scenes as he would see fit. They got into some arguments later on, but that very approach made ESB look and work as it did, which is VERY VERY much Kershner.

Oh and Ush, you're forgetting one very important name in that last of people who made ESB: Leigh Brackett who wrote the first script draft before dying.

Emperor Helmet
You guys obviously don't know what you are talking about. What action sequences in ESB? There wasn't a space battle, and the Hoth ground battle was pretty lame until the special editions came out(which Kerschner had no part in). And don't worry that will be redone yet again for the DVD's.

It wasn't a very action packed SW film. Yet still the best, until May of course.

He-Man
You mean ESB isn't a very action packed film?
Wow...I've always thought it was the most action packed SW. It doesn't matter there isn't a huge battle. It's still action all the way through unlike all the others.

But I think it's true GL did most of the work for episodes 5 and 6. GL just that kind of a guy, who doesn't want anyone to mess with his movies.

Emperor Helmet
It was the best film of the OT, with the least action. I believe that Episode II will be the best film until maybe Episode III.

queeq
The Hoth battle didn't change in the SE, they only cleaned it up and removed the matte lines which technology couldn't remove properly in those days.

Emperor Helmet
I know, but as far as the action goes, it's pretty lame. They can completely go back and put more troops and more vehicles in and redo that entire sequence and make it more dramatic. Just keep the luke parts the same but have more going on elsewhere. I think that and the Endor battle have to be redone. They have to add more Ewoks and Stormtroopers to that battle. We have to assume that there are thousands of Ewoks to be able to defeat teh Imperial Army. The Rancor scene must be redone, and maybe more of what Fett is doing during the Skiff battle. The saber effects have to be redone....wait the list is too long, but when they do it these movies are going to be finally complete and we will all be the happiest people on Earth.

queeq
Just adding more attack vehicles, planes, men and creatures doesn't make it a great action sequence. The Hoth ground attack was very well devised and the way it was storyboarded, shot and directed make it a good action sequence.... the feel, the pace, stuff like that. Not numbers.
And then there was the awesome Asteriod field chase...

He-Man
The Hoth battle is the best battle of the movies. It really doesn't matter how much people there are like queeq said. Hoth battle is much more interesting than the battle of Naboo.

Emperor Helmet
You're crazy.

He-Man
I know.

queeq
But also right.

He-Man
So Helmet doesn't agree with battle of Hoth beeing better than battle of Naboo? roll eyes (sarcastic) confused

queeq
I guess...

Emperor Helmet
The Naboo battle was much better. Maybe not after they fix it.

Maybe showing more of Vader during his journey into the rebel base. Doing some saber work.

queeq
Better?! eek!

yerssot
Hoth better, more don't need to know

queeq
smile

Emperor Helmet
You can't tell me that the rebels couldn't defeat the Imperial Walkers, but they have the ability to destroy a Death Star. Come on, that's weak. Sowing more imperial Snowtroopers marching down with some other walkers, along with the AT-AT's would make the retreat so much more believable. Add some more rebel fighters into the battle, as well as soldiers. It would be so much better.

He-Man
The battle of Naboo was ruined by Jar Jar.

queeq
Oh... believable..... a nine year old lwing up a space ship no one else could.... that's believable. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Emperor Helmet
Jar Jar didn't ruin anything.

yerssot
Hoth was just classic

Emperor Helmet
That just shows how little you understand. If that 9 year old boy is the chosen one yes. If that boy has the ability to be the only human pod racer in the universe, yes. If that boy can build anything and understand flying like he does, yes!. Any more questions?

He-Man
Jar Jar didn't ruin the movie, but he definetly ruined the Naboo battle. Along with Anakin. The whole battle of Naboo doesn't feel like it's anything serious. It's pure humor.

queeq
And all that, the Force and stuff, flying space ships, talking apes and all that is all believable?

He-Man
It's not that. It's those yippiis that are just too annoying.

Emperor Helmet
You mean the yippee's right. You are contradicting yourself. If you thought he was just a 9 year old kid who shouldn't be able to blow up control ships, than he should be acting like a normal 9 year old. And they say things like yippee!

You can't lose grasp of that. And him being nine years old make Episode II and III more dramatic.

You will see why Episode I was a great set up film for the other 5.

There was peace in the galaxy at this time, everything was very structured. That is something we don't see in any of the other films. You have to show this so you know what they are fighting to get back in the OT.

And Jar Jar is all about that peaceful side.

Ushgarak
The Battle of Hoth is simply amazing. I think it is only bettered by Yavin. I can't believe anyone would think the soulless Naboo battle is better. And what the heck is the problem with the Rebels not being able to beat the Walkers? If they were THAT well-armed, they wouldn't be a small band of rebels, they'd be winning the war! In ESB, for once, the Empire was acting with some comptetence, and the film was all the better for it. Their forces were not flawed, unlike the Death Star.

Kershner is also responsible for lines like "I know" when Leia says she loves Han- Kershner and Ford worked closely together to dramatically increase the quality of the characterisation in that film. Ford's interviews about Kershner will leave you in no doubt about that man's contribution towards ESB.

Thanks, queeq, for putting me right about the original writer.

LanceWindu
I heard that Ford was tired of saying 'I love you too' whenever him and Fisher were doing that scene so he finally just said 'I know' and they ended up keeping that one. But then again I think the place I heard this from was full of stinky brown stuff.

Ushgarak
Ford hated it, Kershner hated it. They came up with the new line together. They were a great team.

LanceWindu
Yeah the line would have sucked if it was 'I love you too'

I love the cockiness of Han

He-Man
Helmet. From what I know, episode 1 is a great set for other movies. I know it is. But it's not that good by itself. Not as good as the others.

I know a nine year old could say yippii when blowing up that ship, but it's still annoying because a nine year old shouldn't be able to flight/fight with a starfighter that well! And he did it by accident (or that's atleast what it looks like.)! It would have been much better if Anakin destroyd the ship along with the other pilots and not by accident.

And yes, I do understand why Jar Jar is there. It's supposed to be a happy movie, before the things go bad. So Jar Jar brigs happines for some people (mostly kids). But Jar Jar is so damn annoying. If Jar Jar wouldn't be that dumb, episode 1 would be a better movie and the ground battle wouldn't be just a big joke. Jar Jar would be good if it was less clumsy and annoying.

Still I think TPM was and is a great movie. But it's not perfect.

But then again, that's just my opinion and you can like Jar Jar if you want to, you can like little Annie if you want to, and you can even like the damned Pokemon if you want to.

LanceWindu
You tell him!

Julie
I believe He-man said enough that I'll just let his nice explanation set in.....

yerssot
nah... Jar Jar is a sidecharacter, the only big scene he's in is the endbattle, get a grip! movie is been made

Julie
Get a grip, huh....yes we know the movie has already been made...what's your point?

yerssot
you can't change it with nagging

Bantha Fodder
'

And this only proves that you have bad taste in movies.

It would have been cool if Anakin purposefully destroyed the control ship, but he didn't.. It was all a mistake. He didn't even know how to fly the fighter--he was along for the ride.

It would have been much more interesting if Anakin had done it all on purpose, after figuring out how to fly the fighter he was in. And if he could fly a pod racer, then it would have been believable that he could fly a fighter, the problem is that he didn't.

And the ground battle was nothing more than bad slapstick comedy. Nobody in the theater laughed, because it sucked.

Overall it was a poor effort at humor, and Lucas fell flat on his face. It was abominable. And we must be weary of AOTC, because Lucas might have ruined it with the same stupid slapstick comedy attempts. AOTC may very well suck as hard as TPM, or even worse!

I'm not wasting my money on it until I know for a fact that it is worth $7. Until then, Lucas can go beat off.

mah
stop being so negative! post other things than negative comments about TPM!

Julie
TPM.....was good....happy, Mah?

He-Man
Well there's no sign of episode 2 battle beeing like episode ones Bantha Fodder. There's no humor in the battle of geonosis. Well I haven't heard there would be anyway.

But anyway...one thing that made the battle of Hoth especially cool was those incredible lines:

LUKE: Echo station Five-Seven. We're on our way.
LUKE: Steady, Dack. Attack pattern delta. Go now!
VEERS: Yes, Lord Vader. I've reached the main power generator. The shield will be down in moments. You may start your landing (in a very cool voice).
HAN: No, no! No! This one goes there, that one goes there. right?
VEERS: All troops will debark for ground assault. Prepare to target the main generator.
And here's the best one:
VEERS: Distance to power generators?
PILOT: One-seven, decimal two-eight.
VEERS: Target. Maximum fire power.

Ain't it cool?

Compare those to episode ones ones like:

Anakin: Where's the trigger? Oops, wrong one. Maybe this one. Oops.
Anakin: Boy! This is tense! Oops. Artoo, get us off this autopilot, or it's gonna get us both killed! You did it Artoo! Okay, lets go left! Go back? QuiGon told me to stay in this cockpit and thats what I'm gonna do. Now come on! Whoa! I'll try spinning, that's a good trick. I know we're in trouble, just hang on!
Anakin: Take this! and this! Now, this is Podracing! Whoopee!!!
Jar Jar: Hups...Oh no.

These lines don't ruin the movie. They just make the battle feel like it's nothing serious.

Luckily there's nothing like that in episode 2.

He-Man
Without the crappy humor, Episode 1 would be a very good movie! Now it's just good.

jedi fernando

queeq
Wonderful! laughing out loud

Excellent analysis, He-Man.

Amidala
Man - ESB from the first frame to the last is the best movie i have seen: dialougue, editing, suspense and action the movie never stops for a second, each time you think it is about to slow down it takes off again. The battle of Hoth is very well paced and shows what it needs to show to tell the story and to not blow everyone's head off for the other 1 and half hours of the movie.

The dialougue comparison is spot on. It is the reason that the two battles are so different and the fact that the cut away scenes build tension rather than relieve suspense as they do once or twice in TPM. You cant really compare the quality of the two in reference to each other, they are apples and oranges and opinions and preferences will guide your choice.

And as for the nine year old thing, get over it. There is a certain theme running through these movies that if you listened instead of fast forwarding to the action scenes you might pick up on. It is little thing called DESTINY.

queeq
"It is yourrrrr desssstinyyyyy..."

Julie
*ok I'll bite*
What about destiny evil face

queeq
Aren't we supposed to be asking you these sorts of questions?

Emperor Helmet
The dialogue in ESB was just as corny as in TPM, as a matter of fact I think that TPM's dialogue was better, especially after watching TPM last night.

queeq
TPM was wooden in its dialogues. And corny is part of SW.

Emperor Helmet
It was on par with the other films as far as dialogue goes.

You over value the OT dialogue.

queeq
I do?

I think it's okay, good for the genre it created for itself. I wouldn't call it literature, but it works well.

Emperor Helmet
So did TPM's dialogue.

He-Man
So you don't think ESB's "attack pattern delta. Go now" or "Target. Maximum firepower" sound cooler than TPM's "Where's the trigger. Oops wrong one, maybe this one. Oops."

Well, I think it does. Ok I admit that TPM's dialogue didn't really suck or anything, but some, if not all of the dialogue from ESB was really great. Every line is memoriable. I'll never get bored with it.

Anyway. Don't get me wrong. There's a lot of good dialogue in TPM too, but waaaaay less than the others.

Emperor Helmet
I don't agree.

LanceWindu
The next in line will almost always be better for the new Star Wars.

Bantha Fodder
Just because Episode I set up the entire series doesn't mean it has to be a BAD movie! That's absurd! The plot sucks, there is little drama or character development (Jar Jar is about the only character that's developed, and what a horrid character THAT was!), and we never even get a proper introduction to Darth Sideous. After TPM, we STILL don't know where Palpatine learned about the Force. Maybe he read an "Idiot's guide to the Force" and suddenly was powerful enough to outwit the entire Jedi Council? That must be it. roll eyes (sarcastic) Seriously, TPM raises more questions than it answers. It is not a good introduction to the Star Wars universe at all, in fact it is a very poor attempt at setting up ANH.

ANH introduced us to the entire concept of Star Wars, and it did that while being an awesome movie, proving that the "set up" episode doesn't have to suck. The death star battle is one of the best action sequences in any star wars movie, even though it is among the lowest tech of any. This just proves that technology does not make a great film, creative talent and inspiration do...the reason the Battle of Yavin is so great is because we CARE about the characters and the outcome of the battle. We want Luke to waste the death star. In TPM we didn't care about the characters because they were nothing but decorations for the special effects.

A great script with bad special effects merely calls on the audience to use their imagination. A bad script with unparalled effects doesn't leave any room for imagination, other than imagining how the movie could have been better. That's the problem with TPM, Lucas has become "more machine now than man, twisted and evil". I mean, LOOK at the guy, he makes sure that all the dolls and toys for a new star wars movie are out before the movie is even released! If that doesn't reveal how much Lucas has his priorities mixed up, then nothing will. The guy is nothing more than a corporate executive interested in milking the Star Wars OT for all it's worth. Lucas needs a nest egg and this new trilogy is it.

Seriously, anyone who thinks TPM is a GOOD movie is in denial. It might be fun to watch because of the OT references, but if it were released as the first Star Wars movie ever, then Lucas never would have been able to make even one sequel. TPM doesn't have what it takes to create a cult following. Think about it....you all know it's the truth. We are being played by Lucas just as the Jedi are being played by Darth Sideous. Lucas want's our money and no method of obtaining it is too low for Lucas. The guy even admits that he doesn't care if anyone likes his movies, all he cares about is if they make enough money for him.

Luckily AOTC's script was written by Hales, who seems to have more talent in his pinky than Lucas does in his entire head. Anyone can use a computer to make neato special effects, but a great story only comes from a true artist.

Lucas is not a true artist. He is a salesman first and foremost, and after that he's a good manager for getting special effects to work. But he couldn't write a good script if his life depended upon it. Keep in mind that ANH's script was actually ghostwritten by Kasden. Francis Ford Coppola saw the original script and talked Lucas into having someone else "fix" it (yeah it was that bad). If not for Coppola's influence, Star Wars would have sucked ass from day one and ESB would never have been made.

Emperor Helmet
Your name is what that last post is.

Ushgarak
That is ludicrously general. Saying that anyone who likes TPM is in denial is a VERY arrogant statement.

Your still getting hing up on this 'introduction to Darth Sidious' thing. It is NOT that important. You need to focus more on what the story is.

Personally, I found TPM to be very inspiring to the imagination; perhaps your closed mind has shut yourself off to that. It all centred around Qui-Gon to me- what I had always, always thought the Jedi Masters in their heyday would be like; kind, caring, compassionate, wise and damn lethal.

Many people have tried to make out before that GL is some money-obsessed maniac who has somehow 'lost the mission' over the last two decades; I think that it TOTAL rot and that he cares about Star Wars just as much as he ever did. So bloody what if the merchandising drive is so huge?

And GL has never, EVER said that he only cares about how much money his films make. That is complete crap. When he said that punlic reaction wasn;t that important to him, he meant that he was proud of them as his OWN creation, not in what others thought. This leads to the exact OPPOSITE conclusion to that you made. It shows how mmuch he cares about them as films, not as public relations exercises. Personally, I am glad he doesn't make his films just to suit the public because then they really WOULD be dreadful.

GL is NOT a salesman first and formost. He is a CREATOR first and formost. His flaw is in being unable to write dialogue and it is indeed welcome that he has got some help this time. But get youyr facts straight; Kasdan didn;t turn up until ESB.

I LIKE TPM, and so do many others, and we are not in 'denial'. We appreciate it for what it is. I am happy to point out its flaws- but they are far less numerous than those in ROTJ.

jedi fernando

Julie
well stated.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.