Digital ROTS

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

forumcrew
source the force.net
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Digital_Episode_3_Different_to_Film_Version_90742.asp

Digital Episode 3 Different to Film Version

Posted By Britany on March 28, 2005

The May issue of Empire Magazine has a quote from Rick McCallum on the digital version of 'Revenge of the Sith' (Pg 78):

"The digital version of the movie will be different from the version that goes out on film. That has to be locked down so much earlier, whereas the digital can go right up to a week-and-a-half before the film comes out"

The digital version of 'Attack of the Clones' was also different to the version that came out on film, the most notable difference being Padme holding Anakin's mechanical hand during the wedding scene.

But will this digital version of 'Revenge of the Sith' be longer than the version on film, perhaps as a reward to theaters that have upgraded to digital projecters, and fans who choose to see the movie in a digital theater. Time will tell. Thanks to Rich for the alert.

XX Emperor XX
This may be a stupid question but how do you know if the movie theatre you go to uses digital projectors? do you ask the mananger of theatre?

LandoSpeeder2
I remember the AOTC digital version played in Galveston if I remember, if that is correct and if they do show the digital version their, I'm going to see it.

tlbauerle
The official site will post something about the location and dates of digital screenings...

There are not many digital projectors, and most in existance are taken from theatre to theatre...therefore, it will be difficult to get to a digital screening unless you live in a highly populated city in the US.

LandoSpeeder2
Houston is the fourth most populated city in the U.S.

forumcrew
yea and a theater that has one will likely advertise it.. i saw collateral at one about 25 min from where i live which isnt too far for a nice digital movie

JKozzy
Basically, any IMAX theater I assume has a digital projector. In which case, I should be in luck.

LandoSpeeder2
Originally posted by JKozzy
Basically, any IMAX theater I assume has a digital projector. In which case, I should be in luck. That's good.

Mist
so.....whats the difference of the movie?

tlbauerle
IMAX is NOT digital.

Besides...any IMAX release of the movie would be edited down to 120 minutes because the projectors can't handle more than that...

ab2421
Originally posted by tlbauerle
IMAX is NOT digital.

Besides...any IMAX release of the movie would be edited down to 120 minutes because the projectors can't handle more than that...

I thought they extended that when the Matrix sequels were released in IMAX?

tlbauerle
Not that I know of...it is a mechanical limitation.

macgeek2005
I called the theater here, and asked if they had digital screens, and they said "There no digital in canada, There might be one in toronto, but that's about it"

hazkid
it shows in eden prairie, MN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eek! eek! eek! only 5 hours away!

hunchy
Hey MacGeek, where are you going to see Episode 3? Because I'm going up to Canada to see it at the Collossus. You know where that is?

LandoSpeeder2
I thought I was going to have to go to Dallas, but turns out the Edwards theater here in Houston is showing it in IMAX.

macgeek2005
Originally posted by hunchy
Hey MacGeek, where are you going to see Episode 3? Because I'm going up to Canada to see it at the Collossus. You know where that is?

I'm on Vancouver Island, off the west coast of British Columbia, in the small city of Victoria.

I don't know where the Collussus is. Is it Digital?

astrofan428
Really Lando? That is very good news.

LandoSpeeder2
Originally posted by astrofan428
Really Lando? That is very good news. I read it here, hopefully this guy ain't lying but I doubt he is. http://boards.theforce.net/Revenge_of_the_Sith_Spoilers_Allowed/b10331/19243008/?26 read when he post the email he got.

EHmasterJedi
I supose the digetal (FINAL) version is the one that makes it out on DVD though right.

macgeek2005
It had better be. My AOTC DVD has Padme taking anakin's hand.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by EHmasterJedi
I supose the digetal (FINAL) version is the one that makes it out on DVD though right.

yes

hunchy
Originally posted by macgeek2005
I'm on Vancouver Island, off the west coast of British Columbia, in the small city of Victoria.

I don't know where the Collussus is. Is it Digital?

The Collossus is in Langley. It is not digital, but they have HUGE screens and even a few IMAX screens. The seating is so so that no one is sitting directly in front of you, for there is a row above a row, etc. The sound is amazing also. But the screens are gigantic. The outside of the theater is a big spaceship.

And yes the digital version of the movie is the version that makes it onto DVD.

tlbauerle
Rumor has it Dagobah made it to the DIGITAL version.

DeVi| D0do
yeah I read that too...

it's all in Lucas's plan to entice cinemas to convert to digital...

hazkid
thats what lucas said.

tlbauerle
It will never happen. Digital projection is so far off in the future. I was GM of a theatre that wanted at least one digital screen in each theatre...but that division closed even before it began. Its too expensive AND not everyone is on board...especially if they can keep raising the prices without improving the theatrical experience.

That's why...if you ever have anything detract from your experience...you report the bastards...especially to the THX 800 number most movies advertise in the credits.

There is not excuse for sloppy presentations at this price. But we tollerate it...so we'll go w/o digital screens for quite a while.

geet
I heard that Famous Players in Gloucester (ottawa) is gettign the digital copy! I said that to my friend and he's like "You do know, all amc's have DLP projectors..blah..blaahh" ..Then I blocked him big grin

Looks like the CRTC POS Capital of Canada pays off for something . Now I won't have to go to Waterloo!

Darth_Vader05
Im suprised Lance Windu hasnt closed this thread yet.

Delta 62
One of my theaters here had a digital projector..but they got rid of it. As mentioned before..I sure hope Dagobah is in the final version..you can't be missing an ending. It wouldn't make sense to have Obi taking Luke to Tatooine, Leia being taken to Alderaan..etc and not show Yoda. I wonder if they'll have Chewie being taken into slavery..

Darth_Decimator
i havent seen anyone else bring this up yet so i thought that i would big grin has anyone seen BOTH versions yet to compare the differences to the digital version ????? and if so whats the deal ? whats different ?

The Ones
maybe qui gon is in the digi version

Darth_Decimator
yeah thats what i been hoping for, yoda on dagobah maybe ?

The Ones
that was cut cause hes in the tv series (or so i heard)

LandoSpeeder2
Originally posted by Darth_Vader05
Im suprised Lance Windu hasnt closed this thread yet. Why?

The Ones
i think its sarcastic cause he closes nearly every thread there is

LandoSpeeder2
Originally posted by The Ones
i think its sarcastic cause he closes nearly every thread there is The dumb and duplicate ones.

ImperialPEZ
Go here and pick your state. My state isn't even on the list.

http://www.dlpmovies.com/DLPTheatres.php

tlbauerle
ANSWER:

I have seen BOTH versions and there is NO difference between them. However...the quality is extremely impressive. The digital fx are much better, and cleaner...and some of the piss poor head replacements look much better in DLP. The sound levels were much more pleasing too.

DLP is how this film is meant to be seen...go do it!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.