How old?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shanie623
I was doing a time line base on the 2nd book (so to not confuse many people)... The bold sentences are the one that I've been pondering upon.

- 50 years ago Tom Marvolo Riddle (Voldemort) was 15/16 years old. That will make Voldemort around 65 when Harry was 12.

-50 years ago Rubeus Hagrid was 13 years old and expelled. Hagrid then became the Hogwarts gamekeeper because of Dumbledore BUT Dippet was still the headmaster that time. (Is that right? Or did Hagrid have to wait for Dumbledore to be headmaster before he became the gamekeeper? And if so, how long?) Anyway, that will make Hagrid 63 years old in the 2nd book.

- 50 years ago, how old were Molly and Arthur Weasley?

- 11 years ago, Voldemort faces his downfall because of 1-yr-old Harry Potter. Voldemort was 53 years old that time. (How old were Lily and James Potter then?)

Voldemort was 42 when he started gaining power (according to GOF, he gained power steadily for 11 years until he met his downfall with Harry Potter.)

When Voldemort was 17, he graduated from Hogwarts and killed the Riddles the summer after the school year ended (I'll assume this because it says so in GOF that it was summer night when the Riddle family was murdered).

When Molly and Arthur was still at Hogwarts, Dippet was still the headmaster because according to Molly they had a different gamekeeper when they were at school. (Where was Hagrid? I'll assume that he's younger than Arthur or Molly, because he wasn't the gamekeeper then...?)

How old is Bill Weasley? (Charlie Weasley was 24 in the 2nd book, because according to POA "it's been 7 seven years since they've won the Quidditch cup, since Charlie Weasley had left school"wink I will now assume that Bill is around his 30's. And that would make Arthur and Molly at least 50 years old if they had Bill when they were 20.

Dumbledore BECAME headmaster just when Remus Lupin, Snape, and the other Marauders came to Hogwarts. Obviously, the Marauders and Snape is younger than Hagrid and the Weasleys. How old are the Marauders and Snape???

Ok... umm... so yeh... this is a lot confusing than I thought. I'll come back when I clear my mind... LOL.

BadBabe
huh?

shanie623
LOL... I'm confused... I dunno.. I've just been wondering about Molly and Arthur Weasley... How old are they? And surely, they've gone to Hogwarts with Tom Riddle, or NOT?? They're a bit older, that's what I'm assuming.

ArrghPirateGirl
Yeah by the sounds of it i think they might of weird

eezy45
youve done that very precisely!
clappingclappingclappingclapping

Amy Black
Remus, Sirius, James, Pettigrew and Snape were born in 1960.
So they started at Hogwarts in 1971.
So they left Hogwarts in 1977.
Harry was born in 1980, so James, Lily, Remus, Sirius, Pettigrew and Snape were 20.

I've been wondering about Snape's timeline.
He leaves school in 1977, when he's 17.
Voldemort (shut up, Ron!wink1) faces his downfall when Harry is 1, in 1981.
Dumbledore said that Snape left the dark side before Voldemort's (Ron, stop it!wink1) downfall. Did he join the dark side when he was only 17??? Why did he change his mind?

eezy45
He joined the dark side when he was 13 wink laughing
well no he was interested in the dark side.
sure he could join at 17 years of age

brandon webb
the dark side????eek! this isnt star wars buddy! Happy Dance
EDIT

brandon webb
EDIT

brandon webb
EDIT

brandon webb
EDIT

shanie623
Yeh.. still, all the same. I've been wondering about Arthur and Molly. They're obviously a lot older than lots of them because Dippet was still the headmaster when they were back at Hogwarts. So I was wondering, did they know Tom Riddle then? And how old are Arthur and Molly? They sound and seem younger than what I expected them to be. I thought for sure they'd be around their 70's if Hagrid is younger than them (because Hagrid wasn't gamekeeper yet that time Molly and Arthur was at Hogwarts)... and are the Weasley couples older than Tom Riddle? Possibly...?

About Snape, well he's been evil since... LOL.

Amy Black
Yeah, the dark side thing I wrote was really "starwars-ish". I can't write as fast as my thoughts come into my mind, so it's hard to express myself. I always forget all the things I want to say. Sorry. starwars

<<Solo>>
Ok...Kind Of Confusing, Yes.

shanie623
I've found a mistake about the Weasley's age (possibly?)!!!

Is Bill Weasley older than Charlie Weasley, or not?

Charlie was for sure 25 in the 3rd book (Charlie Weasley was 24 in the 2nd book, because according to POA "it's been 7 seven years since they've won the Quidditch cup, since Charlie Weasley had left school"wink.

Bill's age was never mentioned, but Bill Weasley mentioned in the 4th book that it's been "5 years since was back at Hogwarts (17 yrs. old + 5 years = 22 years old)" (pg. 616 of GOF). Which would make him 22 years old in the 4th book... SO, is he younger than Charlie because Charlie should be 26 when Bill was 22 (ages based on the 'Goblet Of Fire')?

But here is what's bothering me; I remember quite well that Ron said Bill is the oldest of them all. Was it a mistake? Anyone want to bother explaining this?

Razul
I just wondered...
when do you think that Lucious Malfoy was on Hogwarts?

tassie
Maybe he could've been there when the COS had been opened..
he did tell Draco he knew who'd opened it last time, and it was also the time Riddle was at school, and i mean who knows? How old does Lucius look? Cause if he was there when COS had opened, he'd be about 60 confused

But then again, wizards live to be very old sooo

Razul
perhaps Bill means its been 5 years since he last visited hogwarts, or since his services where neaded there...
And by the way, I dont think that Arthur and Molly are older than Hagrid... I just think he didnt become gamekeper right away....

celestial_moon
i agree with razul, it just said since he was back at hogwarts

big gay kirk
well, he always seems to regard hagrid as a contemporary.... so that would link to him being there at the same time as Riddle, but probably in a lower year...

RebelPhoenix
Well if we were to go on looks, I'd defintely say Malfoy was there after Riddle because he looks about 45-47 not 60 but then he might have a very good plastic suregon! lol or something wink But seriously I think he's a fair bit younger because he's such an egotistical person that I don't think he ever would have followed someone else in his own year, he would probably want to be leader but rather as a much younger person he'd be in awe of the by then already great and established villian - he'd admire and totally believe in the cause as a follower.

As for regarding Hagrid as a contemporary I can see what you mean but I think it's more seeing anybody of any age as an inferior except a certain few, it makes it worse that Hagrid is not of noble birth or in a powerful position. I mean Malfoy talks down to everybody no matter who they are as long as they are not on his side. Hence I think Hagrid is probably older and has to be because in COS he was already older then Riddle no?

tassie
I think that's Very good, RPhoe, especially the first part considering the comparision of Riddle to Malfoy. clapping

But, considering Malfoy's age in terms of how he looks, remember he can seem to be in his forties, since wizards have a much longer life-span than muggles, and therefore age slower.
And, he's very rich and succesful, and learned, he seems a little older than 45 or something, but your explanation also convinced me that he should be younger than Hagrid and Riddle

RebelPhoenix
Cheers smile

You're right about the looks and age thing - I thought it was pretty flimsy myself but just wanted to mention my impression of him in the movie big grin. Lol I'd love to age slower too! wink

Oh before I forget - about the rich and succesful attributes - I kinda think he was born into wealth rather then earning it erm

tassie
yeah, about the rich thing, i know, i was just referring to the fact that Mr. Weasely said he had made himself "very well connected"

RebelPhoenix
Ah I see smile I can definitely believe he did that wink

frozen flame
i'm pretty sure hagrid only became the gamekeeper once dumbledore was around. hence, he's older than the marauders and snape. he's either older than or the same age as the weasleys.

shaber
JKR said in the chat hour that Charlie is two years older than Percy and Bill is two years older than Charlie.

shanie623
Can I see the chat transcript, or the website where they have it? Because if Charlie is 2 years older than Percy, then there's definitely a BIG mistake in the timeline.

Look in the 3rd book. Mcgonnagal mentions that it's been 7 years since they haven't won the Quidditch House Team Cup, and it WILL be 8 years if they don't win the cup that year. She also said because the last time they DID win the Quidditch cup is when Charlie was in his last year. So... Charlie must be 25 in the 3rd book (17+8=25). However you said that JKR said supposedly that Charlie is 2 years older than Percy. BUT Percy was 17 at the time, Charlie was 25. ~_^ That's more than 2 years gap.

How many times do I have to explain this from the 3rd book? ^^;;

OK... based on the 3rd book... here's the Weasley kids' ages.

Charlie - 25
Percy - 17
Fred and George- 15
Ron - 13
Ginny - 12

Bill - UNKNOWN

shaber
Look further down the board

shaber
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1486375#post1486375

Orli'sElf7
wow RPhoe brilliant theory. makes sense....well that means hagrid was at hogwarts when riddle was aye? because hagrid was wrongfully accused...but athat would mean hagrid is like 65!!! O_O. and malfoy knew about it yea...well riddle was a 7th year when the chamber was opened...mayb lucius was just starting? 1st year?

danis4ever
Voldemort is a hundred years at Harry's Time isn't?

Orli'sElf7
huh?

danis4ever
Or isn't?

Orli'sElf7
wait....voldemort is 100?? wowo im lost X_O

tassie
He can't be 100; in bk 2, it says the CoS was opened 50 years ago, and Riddle was the one who opened it... he'd be less that 17 then ((check back what age Hagrid was when he got expelled and that's how old Riddle was at the time)) just add 3 years to that, and in OotP, Voldemort should be around 70..

Orli'sElf7
thats true...because riddle was in his 7th year yea? so 17 +50 hed b 67

RebelPhoenix
THanks Orli! smile and yes lol Hagrid is alot older then I thought too! But I guess giants live alot longer and age slower then muggles ,as for Voldy and DD I guess it's only right that the supreme wizards are so old but still DD is really old! o_O

Orli'sElf7
thats true...dumbledore was OLD in the riddle's diary version of him...which means hes even older O_O

RebelPhoenix
lol ^_^

I wonder what the average lifespan of a wizard/witch is?

Orli'sElf7
im sure its normal...but i mean this is dumbledore...lol so i think its an exception right? i mean he figured out alchemy! mayb thats how hes alive still!

RebelPhoenix
Maybe! Lol you could be right, but I'm sure I read somewhere that they live longer... I'll have to dig it up and see.

Orli'sElf7
mugglenet.com has some pretty good sources too. ill help ya check RPhoe

RebelPhoenix
Thanks Orli smile - I've tried to find some links but all that keeps coming up are Harry Potter references in comparison to the bible and satanism messed - I found one though but it's not official so I'm not sure:

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizworld/wizard-life.html
(scroll down abit to where it says Old Age)

Lots of other people in this forum have said that wizards/withces live longer then muggles so maybeone of them can say where they got it from...

RebelPhoenix
One thing about that site^ it says that DD is about 150 messed and well, he might be but I would have said that by looking at his age in the COS movie there was no way he was 75-80 when Riddle was at school messed especially since he was just a teacher then and not Head Master.

Orli'sElf7
150?!?!?!?!?!??!?! damn!! i mean...****sorry pheonix!!!! anyways...im still trying to find more info on lucius...

RebelPhoenix
Malfoy: I'm the most pretentious, stuck up, arrogant, richest, got my head stuck so far up my arse that I could test for prostate cancer, kid here but yet I'm the one with the cockny-est accent!

Hermoine: I think frizz will be in this season

Ron: The word and well known drink Gin is commonly misconceived to be derived from the word and place Geneva when really it comes from the succulent herb that flavours this wonderous libation, Juniper.

Harry: Voldomort, we have to work together to get rid of the common evil which is........ Snape's greasy hair.

EDIT - ack I just posted this int he wrong thread! I think I need to sleep messed

RonzMyBoy
"He was 41 years old in the fall of 1995, which means he was probably born in 1954." - www.hp-lexicon.org

Which means he was elven in 1965 so that is the year he started which also means he graduated in 1971.

Lily and James started at Hogwarts in his 7th year.

For more info you can go to www.hp-lexicon.org go to who's who in the wizarding world and look at Lily and James Potter or Lucius Malfoy.

Orli'sElf7
wow awsome. lol cute siggy ^_^

pottermad
it's clear

on book six.

bill-24
charlie-22
percy-20

Phoenix
bump

frodo_dude
same here... LOL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.