Newbies Vs. Kmc Forums

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MERCILOUS
A recent swarm of lazy or inconciderate members have been opening new threads like it's going out of style. I theorize that they are from different forums who want to make this one completely unenjoyable. Every fight seems to be posted at least 3 times. No one seems to be using the search option to make sure that their fight isn't already posted. This is either a complete lack of consideration for other members and moderators or an organized vicious attack. Will the Newbies, these vile loafers, succeed in destroying the vs. section?

I realize this is probably against the rules but this is getting rediculous. The "Comic Book "Versus" Forum" (my favorite forum on KMC) is becoming so unenjoyable that frankly it's worth the risk.

So who wins?

Arsenal
I agree it's getting annoying. Especially CountQuen and Tormenter2004 (who are probably the same person). I don't usually pick out people like that but he's REALLY annoying and doesn't (to my knowledge) try to find out more about the character(s) he puts in matches.

MERCILOUS
Thank you for posting Arsenal. There's a few others I could add to that list but I'm simply to polite to name names.

Swanky-Tuna
There will always be users who don't have much perspective on the powers of comic characters. Like before Quan and Tormenter, there was Asian Hulk and you had all kinds Glenn Talbot and Hulk mismatch threads.

MERCILOUS
The mismatches I'm not so concerned about. Sometimes they can even be fun (although that's rare.) It's the sheer number of threads being opened. Very few of them are worth opening, and so many already exist. But thank you for posting Swanky-Tuna.

Arsenal
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
There will always be users who don't have much perspective on the powers of comic characters. Like before Quan and Tormenter, there was Asian Hulk and you had all kinds Glenn Talbot and Hulk mismatch threads.
Asian Hulk doesn't (or should I say didn't) make nearly as many threads.

long pig
They're just trying to be funny. And it probably would be funny but weve seen them all so now its just annoying.
Give em time, I was the same way.

But I know what you're saying, this forum was the only one on KMC I used until like three weeks ago because of the silly threads.

MERCILOUS
Then maybe I'm paranoid. But I could have sworn that it's been really bad lately. I think in last month alone at least some twenty pages or more have been added.

Arsenal
Originally posted by long pig
They're just trying to be funny. And it probably would be funny but weve seen them all so now its just annoying.
Give em time, I was the same way.

But I know what you're saying, this forum was the only one on KMC I used until like three weeks ago because of the silly threads.
Some of them aren't even trying to be funny they just don't know much about the characters and they don't take the time to think about good matchups they just post the first fight that comes to their head.

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Arsenal
Asian Hulk doesn't (or should I say didn't) make nearly as many threads. Yeah, but they were always notable, at least to me, for making me have to look up Glenn Talbot to remember who the smurf he is.

MERCILOUS
Well in his defense, I don't think his grasp on the English language is or was 100%. These current miscreants have no excuse.

long pig
We need a easier and a more prominate search engine so people remember to search before making new threads.

Hell, took me a week before I could figure it out.
lets say you wanna make a "batman vs Black panther"
unless you type it in the way the original thread is worded, itll come up empty, i.e BP vs BM will work.

MERCILOUS
Yeah, a new search engine might help but I think the makers of this rash of recent threads probably don't even know it exist.

Swanky-Tuna
I usually just do a search for the names seperately.

MERCILOUS
Yeah that's what I do.

long pig
I have an idea, there should be "respect" threads to show a certian characters feats abilities, so newer users can find out more about the character.

MERCILOUS
That's not too shabby an idea. I'd definitley use it.

K3VIL
Even my 8 years old cousing, that started to read Marvel and D.C. Comics 5months ago knows a lot more than the gang of newbies that is assaulting this board.
I catch this occasion to tell how I'm enjoying this board, even when we do not agree on something, it's very cool to have people that likes comics like I like them and wants to discuss about the characters and their abilities.KMC Versus Forum Ownz All

MERCILOUS
Thank you for your post K3VIL, you bring up an interesting point.

manjaro
when its not dumb ass threads like "how many different combos of sentinel fights i can think of" or aunt may Vs. Galactus its dumb ass posting like this one guy who stormed into the spiderman vs threads claiming that peter can lift 50 tons and move at the speed of sound and was never heard from again.

the thing is a lot of times ppl just do this type of thing on purpose...you know?..trying to annoy ppl. i would be willing to wager that only a small percentage of them really are trying to be funny but the rest are dead.....freaking....serious. some of them really believe that aunt may could beat galactus

Linkalicious
With the acception of Manjaro, you're all pretty much noobs to the forums.

Leave Asian Hulk out of this arguement, he's got sentimental value that's worth more than all of us combined. yes

And the way he sets up his battles is sooooooooo awesome. droolio

Besides, I'm sure a lot of the people who are "dead serious" are just trying to think of good matchups that people will discuss so that the member who created the thread becomes a little more reputable.

For the most part, they fail, but who are we to tell them not to try? Sure, they should use the search function...but that comes with being part of the community for a while.

Did you read all the rules to the forum before clicking the "I Agree" box?

pr1983
i am only here since august of last year, so i'd be considered a newb by some...

but it has gone downhill recently...

it will blow over though, no worries about that...

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Linkalicious

Im not noob. wink But I agree, Asian Hulk is awesome.

Scoobless
if you do a google search for the character names involved in a thread you could end up finding old ones....... i found this out trying to find cases in the comics of when two characters had met and just ended up with links back to the thread i was looking up the info for...... it was annoying but maybe it can help you with your searches

Scoobless
Originally posted by Linkalicious

i've only been around here for just over two montths but i've already clocked up close to two thousand posts.... i wouldn't call myself a noob ........ maybe just a tad geeky....... big grin

Linkalicious
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Im not noob. wink But I agree, Asian Hulk is awesome.

Not fair....you posted after I made that comment. sad

"Noob" is a pathetic term.

Everyone, regardless of how long they have been here, is entitled to their opinion.

Some people just need to realize how completely stupid they look when they make threads like "Silver Surfer vs. The Sinister Six"

Scoobless
" The Flash moves at about the speed of light, so in the one second it took for you to freak out in a movie line, approximately one hundred and five years went by from his point of view. That means if you take all the time there's been since Jesus was tortured to death to right now and add in the thousand years before Jesus where people worshipped half-eaten caveman babies, that's how long a thirty second Pepsi girl commercial lasts for the Flash. And I don't care what theological horror stories you've heard from your comparative religion course, three millenia of Pepsi girl kicks the shit out of any existing religion's concept of hell"

...... imagine what he went through in the time it took you to read all that....... stick out tongue

http://www.seanbaby.com/superfriends/flash.htm

hoorayforpeepee
i have only been here a little bit also, but in the last month there really have been a bunch of cliche, obvious, done-and-redone, and/or just plain boring threads.

and the responses on the threads? some have become downright ridiculous.

but don't start a war...because then there are 2 responses to the thread and 100 responses to the second response.

Nataku8188
I find that many people posting now are just plain ignorant. As well as stubborn, and they refuse to even look into different views.

Some people, like AC, Demigawd, and myself, we just like to argue. Sometimes we know we're losing, but we continue to argue anyways, simply because we will go back and research our topic and try to bring new things to the fight. Others just repost previous things and don't even bother to read the 'long' posts.

There should be an I.Q. test, and a grammar test you must pass to begin posting here.

ScarletSpider
I've been here a bit longer than many people, much longer than certain waves of new correspondants certainly; however I've always been, or at least tried to be respectful to those who've been here before me. They've been around the block, and there's really no use coming here, acting like the big man on campus and being a jerk to everyone, especially to knowledgeble people who know about the topics of which they speak. On that same channel, I have, however, been a dick to "newbies", but, in my defense, only to the ones whose insolence foully pervades through the board, and who act like assmongers.

Having set up that bit of pathos, I shall have to agree that a good sized crop of new members as of late have been very annoying at times. Which is why I've started to stop by a bit less often than usual. Perhaps an IQ test, or an "I can use the keyboard correctly, and have understandable grammatical skillz" test, though the latter would mostly apply to predominantly English speaking countries, as I could not justly expect everyone here to know perfect English, as it's my first language, and I can't claim to know it perfectly.

ScarletSpider
Haha, we're on the same frequency, with the IQ tests, Nataku, only I was still composing my post while you'd had yours posted for a few minutes, at any rate, I hadn't yet seen it, oh well.

Nataku8188
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
Haha, we're on the same frequency, with the IQ tests, Nataku, only I was still composing my post while you'd had yours posted for a few minutes, at any rate, I hadn't yet seen it, oh well.

Sure.... You've been stealing my thunder since I first got her bug-boy! You're goin down! :: Proceeds to maul him with a chair ::

stormfront13
ok i'm a newbie, but that search engine doesn't work for me. i don't know what i'm doin wrong but it doesn't work. and i'm not sure if i've created any obvious threads. if i have can you tell me so i'll stop

Lord S
God this thread is pathetic...somebody dump it, please. I don't care how misinformed and ignorant some new (and old) members are, starting up a new thread with the sole purpose of bashing and flaming them is just in poor taste. thumb down

We were all ignorant at one time.

stormfront13
i was thinking the same thing but i was wondering if i had done something dumb

Lord S
Originally posted by stormfront13
i was thinking the same thing but i was wondering if i had done something dumb Well thinking Storm beats Doom is something I don't agree with...but I wouldn't start a new thread just to call you stupid.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Nataku8188
I find that many people posting now are just plain ignorant. As well as stubborn, and they refuse to even look into different views.

Some people, like AC, Demigawd, and myself, we just like to argue. Sometimes we know we're losing, but we continue to argue anyways, simply because we will go back and research our topic and try to bring new things to the fight. Others just repost previous things and don't even bother to read the 'long' posts.

There should be an I.Q. test, and a grammar test you must pass to begin posting here.

I respect your words but please don't speak for me.

I don't continue to argue for the sake of it. I argue if I'm right or if there's reason. I don't ruin threads, I don't abuse people. Neither do most people here.

It's the new newbies who expect everyone to respect their opinion but go and have fits when they're disagreed with.

There's just a wave of threads created off the back of "Ok I don't like this character so I'm gonna go ahead and create a VS thread against him". It's pathetic.

-AC

long pig
Lord S, youre right. I hate talking about people behind their back as well but you know this is all true. It had to be said.
We all were ignorant at one point but that doesnt make it less annoying.
Just as long as we arent seriously bashing people, I dont see the harm here.

whobdamandog
I agree with ya Lord S. Some of the peeps here act like these debates are second only to the presidential ones. Seriously though, we're debating comic books people..let's not forget that..it's all in good fun..

Quick Freeze
i agree with everything said in this thread so far. but the thing that has been annoying me the most is the huge team vs huge team threads. the rules say 3 on 3 is the limit and as creative as they think they're being with their big teams nobody really cares because all it is is just a whole bunch of tired arguements mashed together with too many possibilities.

Nataku8188
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I respect your words but please don't speak for me.

-AC

I didn't speak for you, I was saying what I believe, that you and demigawd both argue at times, just for the sake of arguing.

Lord S
Lord S, youre right. I hate talking about people behind their back as well but you know this is all true. It had to be said.
We all were ignorant at one point but that doesnt make it less annoying.
Just as long as we arent seriously bashing people, I dont see the harm here. Ok, but I don't think it's totally necessary to start a new thread about it. In all fairness I bash ignorant newbies (and oldbies) all the time when they spout what I perceive to be illinformed gibberish, but I keep it within the confines of the thread.

To see an 'Newbies Suck' type thread at the top of a forum is something that a lot of people tend to frown on...it just detracts from what we should be talking about.

Not to mention it's immature.

Paola
Okay ppl, few things:

First, an apology from me and Tron for not having the time to look after this forum, we've been kinda busy, but promise to be back full time anytime soon.

Second, search feature has been improved from a while now, so the unexpected burst of duplicated threads are courtesy of newcomers who don't bother to even scroll down the page to look for a similar battle thread.... can't blame them, really... but if you guys tell them nicely they'll get it, eventually...

And a favor to ask you... don't call ppl 'newbies', 'noobs' etc... it's annoying and invalid, I think.... it looks like you ran out of insults and the last one you have is 'you're new!!' boo!

nigel45
It might be a smart idea if like, you have to have been a member for a certain period of time before you get to start a new thread. You know, give people time to grow accustomed to the ways of the versus forum before they try to take it over. It would get rid of people who treat the forum as a joke, because they would have to be involved for say, a month or two beforehand. I dont know, spur of the moment idea.

BootlegBoys420
Ummm...
Im Pretty New Here... Yea People Post Old Stuff... Hell Ive Done It... But You Cant Get Agitated At People For Posting Stuff That Interest Them Just Because Someone Posted It Before Them... Some New People Are Posting Stuff To Be Annoying... But Just About Everyone Here Is Annoying At One Point Or The Other... Old And New Alike... So Dont Judge...

Pepito
The old members are obviously scared as they begin to hear the scraping of the reaper's scythe. So they pick on the new blood for the opening too many new threads. Ironically this is carried out by opening a new thread. Cosmic.

Quick Freeze
they arent scared, they're annoyed because the "new blood" post redundant threads. understandable.

Pepito
Oh I see, you've said redundant so you win, well done. Seriously though does it really matter? The new threads bury the old unpopular ones that no-one cares about (Rogue v Superman Prime, Carnage v Silver Surfer). If the threads are interesting they remain on the first page.

BootlegBoys420
Good Point Pepito...
The Lame A$$ Sentry VS Anyone So Sentry Wins Threads Get Pushed Off By The "Annoying Newbie Threads"...
I Say Yay For The Newbie Threads!!!!!

Alpha Centauri
I didn't speak for you, I was saying what I believe, that you and demigawd both argue at times, just for the sake of arguing.

Ok good, false beliefs though. On my part. Can't speak for Demi.

On topic:

I think it would just be a smart idea if people used initiative and stopped creating shit threads.

Might work out nicely, never know though.

-AC

Arsenal
Originally posted by nigel45
It might be a smart idea if like, you have to have been a member for a certain period of time before you get to start a new thread. You know, give people time to grow accustomed to the ways of the versus forum before they try to take it over. It would get rid of people who treat the forum as a joke, because they would have to be involved for say, a month or two beforehand. I dont know, spur of the moment idea.
I agree with this 100 %

pr1983
Originally posted by Pepito
Oh I see, you've said redundant so you win, well done. Seriously though does it really matter? The new threads bury the old unpopular ones that no-one cares about (Rogue v Superman Prime, Carnage v Silver Surfer). If the threads are interesting they remain on the first page.

thats not the point, if the thread has been done before then a new one is not needed...

Quick Freeze
good. when i started, not even 5 months ago, good threads lasted a while. with debates. lasting for atleast 40 posts each. now all these new ones just flood the forum pushing off the good ones only to get 2 views and no replies. its fine when there are like 3 or 4 new comers doing that but when its the majority i can see where people would get annoyed.

Lord-of-Dreams

ragesRemorse
Theres forces working here, beautifull horrible forces. Horrible, but...beautifull.

Lord-of-Dreams
Question: Which senior members do you mean? I mean, some guys become 'senior' in two days because of all there bullshit threads. See what I mean?? So who counts as senior??

Alpha Centauri
I don't think it matters.

I've been here since last July and I'm already more known and respected across multiple forums than alot of people.

How long you're here doesn't matter. It's how you contribute.

-AC

Paola
Originally posted by Lord-of-Dreams
..(didn't want to say 'newbies wink see, I listen good.) ...

finally! someone listens to me! beer cheers!

Lord-of-Dreams
T's what I'm saying. But I was asking if he meant senior as in 'been here a very lon time' or, just as a qualifier for more mature. See what I mean? I mean, I'm in the same boat as you. Been here two months, but contributed better stuff, and am (hopefully, never really checked) more respected than a lot of old farts around here.

K Von Doom
I used to post at the old 'Superhero Showdown' forum at Wizardworld.com.
Anyone else used to post there?

Tron
I find this thread funny, simply because I was just talking to Paola about something like this before I saw this thread. Paola controls all the comic forums in general, and this one is busier than all the other ones combined, mainly because this is where most of the new members come before realizing that this is only a small part of a large site full of forums. Everyone starts off new in here (hell, I haven't even been a part of this site for a year), and every new person wants to spread their ideas and start new threads, which is fine. Only problem is, chances are it's already been done once or a handful of times. It's understandable to make the mistake of repeating a thread, we've all done it, but it's also understandable that veteran forum members get tired of seeing the same thread repeated multiple times. It can be annoying, especially for a mod. I'm not trying to insult anyone's mistake here, but it is a pain closing, moving, and merging enough threads to fill a whole page or two. It use to be fine for a while, but as has been said, the number of members and threads have gone up significantly in the last month or so. Before, I spent a couple of hours having to go through new threads and posts ona single page, now, it can take 3-4 hours or more because 3-5 pages of new threads are added, and it's a serious pain. It's a good thing that Paula asked me about modding, because she sure as hell couldn't do this alone, not with about 7 other threads to look over. But anyway, people in here have made some good points. Some new members do make new threads without having a clue about the characters they put in it, and not realizing that it's a mismatch (I don't include Asian Hulk in this, because he's smarter than he leads everyone to believe). One thign that would help would be simply asking some forum members about certain characters, or visiting the other forums and asking, and do that BEFORE creating the thread, as I've stated to certain posters when they asked me about some characters. It would help save some ridicule and forum space. And some just open threads in attempts to be funny (when in fact they're just being ridiculous or just corny), while some open threads in favor of their fanboyism, while some do the opposite and put characters against nearly impossible odds because they believe they're "overrated" or they just hate the character, or people that through in a whole clusterf*ck of characters for hell of it. Normally I wouldn't care about some of these, but it does tend to be a problem when threads like these fill up 3-4 pages. Anyways, as Paula's said, we've been pretty damn busy with or personal lives (especially me), so it's been harder to watch over the forum. But, hopefully soon, we'll be able to bring some order back in here. Until then, we'll do what we can.

Arsenal
Would it be possible to appoint another mod?

Swanky-Tuna
For the most part I've been trying to helpful to the new dudes by not posting all kinds of "OGM WHAT A DUMMY MISSMACH THRED SURFIR RULZ OVAR WOLVERINES!!1 N00B0XX0ZRZZ!!" and linking old threads.

whobdamandog
New moderator...I nominate...WHOBDAMANDOG...

Alpha Centauri
I don't think it needs a new mod. Just the two that are here to get back on track.

No dissing, coz I like both mods.

-AC

Arsenal
I do too I was just thinking that they could use more help.

pr1983
Originally posted by Arsenal
I do too I was just thinking that they could use more help.

they could, there are plenty of globals, though very few would know what they were doing in this forum (no disrespect)...

i agree with AC in a way, both mods are cool, but a forum like this needs constant attention... tron and paola are swamped right now...

tron said it himself, 4-5 hours... thats alot...

Alpha Centauri
*Folds arms and nods casually*

Come on people. You know it makes sense.

-AC

Arsenal
Members that haven't yet been here for a month yet have to PM their battles to mods and only if they approve it can they post it.

DigiMark007
For the most part I've been trying to helpful to the new dudes by not posting all kinds of "OGM WHAT A DUMMY MISSMACH THRED SURFIR RULZ OVAR WOLVERINES!!1 N00B0XX0ZRZZ!!" and linking old threads.

I think that this, on an individual basis, is probably the best approach...even though I've wanted to lash out at some of the more mindless threads too.

Personally, I just don't post on the obvious threads anymore, not even to say something witty or stupid. Eventually, they'll fade from prominence, whether by exiting the first page of threads, or by the creator of the thread getting tired of doing it.

-DM

P.S. I like the testing idea....we should have about 30 heroes that fall into one of three distinct categories (something obvious like Skyfather level, Spider-Man level, and Aunt May level) and have them group them. If they don't pass, they don't post...and they can keep taking it until they learn some basic hierarchy evil face Just kidding of course, but it would be fun...

pr1983
*Folds arms and nods casually*

Come on people. You know it makes sense.

-AC

problem though... paola and tron have lives like the rest of us... spending 4 hours siphoning through shit every day would tend to kill any love you had for this site...

maybe if we all chipped in... maybe some sort of list or something where we report duplicates and supply the link to the old one? or provide links to ones that should be closed?

Quick Freeze
Originally posted by Tron
I find this thread funny, simply because I was just talking to Paola about something like this before I saw this thread. Paola controls all the comic forums in general, and this one is busier than all the other ones combined, mainly because this is where most of the new members come before realizing that this is only a small part of a large site full of forums. Everyone starts off new in here (hell, I haven't even been a part of this site for a year), and every new person wants to spread their ideas and start new threads, which is fine. Only problem is, chances are it's already been done once or a handful of times. It's understandable to make the mistake of repeating a thread, we've all done it, but it's also understandable that veteran forum members get tired of seeing the same thread repeated multiple times. It can be annoying, especially for a mod. I'm not trying to insult anyone's mistake here, but it is a pain closing, moving, and merging enough threads to fill a whole page or two. It use to be fine for a while, but as has been said, the number of members and threads have gone up significantly in the last month or so. Before, I spent a couple of hours having to go through new threads and posts ona single page, now, it can take 3-4 hours or more because 3-5 pages of new threads are added, and it's a serious pain. It's a good thing that Paula asked me about modding, because she sure as hell couldn't do this alone, not with about 7 other threads to look over. But anyway, people in here have made some good points. Some new members do make new threads without having a clue about the characters they put in it, and not realizing that it's a mismatch (I don't include Asian Hulk in this, because he's smarter than he leads everyone to believe). One thign that would help would be simply asking some forum members about certain characters, or visiting the other forums and asking, and do that BEFORE creating the thread, as I've stated to certain posters when they asked me about some characters. It would help save some ridicule and forum space. And some just open threads in attempts to be funny (when in fact they're just being ridiculous or just corny), while some open threads in favor of their fanboyism, while some do the opposite and put characters against nearly impossible odds because they believe they're "overrated" or they just hate the character, or people that through in a whole clusterf*ck of characters for hell of it. Normally I wouldn't care about some of these, but it does tend to be a problem when threads like these fill up 3-4 pages. Anyways, as Paula's said, we've been pretty damn busy with or personal lives (especially me), so it's been harder to watch over the forum. But, hopefully soon, we'll be able to bring some order back in here. Until then, we'll do what we can.

well said. maybe you guys should consider a tempory mod until then. someone who's been here a while and still participates

Arachnoidfreak
A sticky at the top with the title "PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" in huge bold letters would do wonders for repeating threads I think.

You might take out "please" because with that in there, it sounds limp and doesn't have any authority.

Arsenal
Yeah it should also have "I know where you live and I'll cut you" in there too.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Scoobless
" The Flash moves at about the speed of light, so in the one second it took for you to freak out in a movie line, approximately one hundred and five years went by from his point of view. That means if you take all the time there's been since Jesus was tortured to death to right now and add in the thousand years before Jesus where people worshipped half-eaten caveman babies, that's how long a thirty second Pepsi girl commercial lasts for the Flash. And I don't care what theological horror stories you've heard from your comparative religion course, three millenia of Pepsi girl kicks the shit out of any existing religion's concept of hell"

...... imagine what he went through in the time it took you to read all that....... stick out tongue

Poor guy. sad

K3VIL
Let me become a moderator, give the power, then K3VIL WILL REIGN SUPREME!I'M THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA!FOOLS!YOU'RE ALL DOOMED!

DarkCrawler
The Prophecy says that the one with supreme administration power can defeat you. mad

K3VIL
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
The Prophecy says that the one with supreme administration power can defeat you. mad
No, cause I'm the Chosen One, the Unstoppable Force, the Mighty God, nothing can prevent your fate.Beg for Mercy!

long pig
At least everyone is exremely level headed and wants to understand other point of view, I honestly wouldnt expect the same from most other forums. kudos to that.

Newer users PM mods before you can post is a good idea.
Threads dedicated to show certian characters abilities like CBRF uses.
Sticky "Please Use Search....or I'll Cut You FOO"
Takin it on ourselves to help, without being mean.
Temp mod sounds cool too.
I like all those ideas you all have made.
K3vil being our lord and master sounds like a bad idea, the power will go to his head, and he'll start demanding sacrifices.

manjaro
i think i should be a mod. I know that with gerat power commes great responsiblity.....and my personal life is on the fritz right now....plus i am here posting every single day so it all makes sense when you think about it.......oh and i post serious arguments too.

i think evryone should sign a petition to get Man-called-Jaro in office huh? huh? whaddaya think? yes yes yes

long pig
hmm, I have less of a life than manjaro, I should be king.
My first demand is: PORN AND BUFFALO WINGS!
chop-chop!

Arsenal
If Tron and Paola do decide to appoint another mod I think there should be a poll to decide who to choose.

long pig
I was just joking, I wouldnt wanna do that crap. Too much BS.
Tron has brass ones to have taken it up in the first place.

Linkalicious
mmmm...buffalo wings...droolio

Scoobless
if there's gonna be a poll for a new mod i want to say right now that i definitely don't want it to be me....... i'm absolutely, positively certain that i don't want the job........... probably........ maybe........welllllll....... wink

but i do like the idea of being around for a certain period of time or having a certain number of posts on the site before you can create new threads...... i know they use that policy on other fan based sites

nigel45
but i do like the idea of being around for a certain period of time or having a certain number of posts on the site before you can create new threads...... i know they use that policy on other fan based sites

That's what I'm sayin'.

illadelph12
A remedy could be a script and filter in the thread title field. If you had that feature it could stop a majority (but not all) duplicated threads from being created. Similar to the script so that every member has a unique screen name, only in this case you'd have to add logic so that variable combinations of terms would trigger the filter.

For instance:

If someone posted Hulk Vs. Superman, which has already been done, when they clicked on the submit post button it would inform them that the topic has already been created on the forum. The script could simply include terms. Any thread containing "Hulk", "Superman" and "Versus" or "Vs", but without any other terms in conjunction would trigger the filter.

It would take some work but it's possible and would cut down on the volume of duplicates.

Alpha Centauri
Quite a good idea. Then, it could perhaps show links to the thread they were looking for.

-AC

Paola
If any of you want to mod this place, let me tell you one thing:

you'll end up hating it yes

Linkalicious
Why the hell would anyone want to have that kind of responsibility???

You don't even get to fool around when you're a mod...all you get to be is the Ice King or Queen.

pr1983
Originally posted by Paola

probably...

Scoobless
that's why you wouldn't find me in charge of anything more complicated than my own personal alcohol intake

Arsenal
You need to believe in yourself Scooby.

Scoobless
i do............ do you have any idea how complicated everything gets after 15 pints......... lol

Arsenal
Looks like someone needs a scooby snack!

K3VIL
At least everyone is exremely level headed and wants to understand other point of view, I honestly wouldnt expect the same from most other forums. kudos to that.

Newer users PM mods before you can post is a good idea.
Threads dedicated to show certian characters abilities like CBRF uses.
Sticky "Please Use Search....or I'll Cut You FOO"
Takin it on ourselves to help, without being mean.
Temp mod sounds cool too.
I like all those ideas you all have made.
K3vil being our lord and master sounds like a bad idea, the power will go to his head, and he'll start demanding sacrifices.
What?Asking sacrifices?No.
Maybe I'll use the power to totally stop creation of topics like Carnage VS Superman, Wolverine VS Living Tribunal, Beat and Sabretooth VS Doomsday, and avoid from posting the newbies orde that has invade the board, that are arguing Vader is more powerful than Doom, Thor's skin being slightly above the resistance of kevlar, and calling up on the science of the real world, while you can't totally rely on science of the real world cause we're talking of an abstract one where men fly and combats them with a outstanding physical strenght.

demigawd
Precisely the reason why you should NOT be moderator. Why subjectively impose rules like that? What's a dumb match to you is a good match to somebody else. I think the idea that someone would ban Doom vs. Vader because THEY think it's a mismatch is ridiculous. 30 pages of Doom/Vader says a lot of people disagree with you.

Science is a fundamental part of comic books. I can't believe you'd bother to ban it because YOU don't want to talk about it.

In the words of Thomas Jefferson, "A board that governs best, governs least"

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by demigawd

Yea, that's not completely true. We have 2 mods and the forum is still going down the toilet.

Scoobless
and Vader can beat Doom............... lol................ "i have you now"

srankmissingnin

I sure hope you never mix the two together... could get messy

Nataku8188
Originally posted by srankmissingnin

It does... oh so very messy...

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Paola

Does it turn into a big apple-polishing-fest?

I remember at Newgrounds, when the mods needed more mods they'd recruit their mod-worthy friends. Some of them were pretty obsure on the board but they still got their rump kissed when they posted as a mod.

Scoobless
hmm, I have less of a life than manjaro, I should be king.
chop-chop!

Originally posted by srankmissingnin

It does... oh so very messy...

mmmmmmm...........buffalo porn........homer

this one is from "dangerous attractions"

http://animalpicturesarchive.com/animal/AnimMovie/Greg/LionsKillingBuffalo.jpg

LOL

laughing

Alpha Centauri
Precisely the reason why you should NOT be moderator. Why subjectively impose rules like that? What's a dumb match to you is a good match to somebody else. I think the idea that someone would ban Doom vs. Vader because THEY think it's a mismatch is ridiculous. 30 pages of Doom/Vader says a lot of people disagree with you.

Science is a fundamental part of comic books. I can't believe you'd bother to ban it because YOU don't want to talk about it.

It's not though, it's Star Wars fanboys insulting those who don't "feel the force".

Quite sad really.

-AC

Gryn Jabar
Rocky versus Galactus, Rocky versus Superman, really, is there anyone he CAN'T destroy? Anyway, IMO this forum doesn't need more mods, it needs more self regulation. Don't post in stupid/asinine posts, and they WILL go away. If the creator keeps spamming, then kick his ass out. It's that easy.

illadelph12
If Tron and Paola can contact the tech for the board they could use my filter idea. it's very easy to set up. All you'd need is a database of comic book character names that adds new terms as new battles are created and you are set.

It would take an hour or two to set up depending on how quickly the list of character names could be acquired.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, good schtuffen.

Well we can all chip in.

-AC

stormfront13
when I search it doesn't work!! so that would be a good idea

illadelph12
I think we could pull it off Alpha.

With all the Comic Heads on this forum we could create a near definitive character listing, and from there new terms would just need to be added when a battle is posted using characters not contained in the database, and then a Mod could audit the terms to make sure that just character names are saved. It would save Tron and Paola a good couple of hours a day easily and free them up for more pressing matters.

Someone just needs to take the initiative.

Quick Freeze
the only problem i have with the search is that it only gives the 10 most recent threads

savagerampage
The worst thread ever was the G-unit vs the justice league HARDTIMES!

Lord-of-Dreams
I like this new idea going around. But what if that didn't end up working? I mean, I'm sure it wa the same idea that produces our current search engine. I'm just a big pesimist...(I'm glad my politeness was noted ,Paola wink)
PS. Being a mod. really sucks. I was one on several sites, and they all went under... wonder why...

Paola
Originally posted by illadelph12
If Tron and Paola can contact the tech for the board they could use my filter idea. it's very easy to set up. All you'd need is a database of comic book character names that adds new terms as new battles are created and you are set.

It would take an hour or two to set up depending on how quickly the list of character names could be acquired.

Raz can do that, I think... but if it works like the search function, then you couldn't open any thread (which doesn't sound like a bad idea shifty.)

Paola
Originally posted by stormfront13
when I search it doesn't work!! so that would be a good idea

search feature has been improved. It gives more than 10 results now.

Or you can use google: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f77/t315787.html

Paola
Originally posted by Lord-of-Dreams
...(I'm glad my politeness was noted ,Paola wink)
PS. Being a mod. really sucks. I was one on several sites, and they all went under... wonder why...

...(I appreciate it, it's a hard-to-notice side of you ppl in this forum no )
PS. I'll erase you from my 'Potentially a mod' list yes

Lord-of-Dreams
lol OK!! No, I guess I could be like, a Tron-lite (I would want to be Paola lite, but guys don't get to be hot :crysmile. I just don't have much free time. My mum is trying to force me to be a doctor and so I do twice the alotted studiing do. sad
And I'm always polite on this site big grin Ok... usually smile... ok, that was my first time...

grey fox
I have to agree the rocky threads are stupid the, star wars threads are stupid (since they just opeend a star wars versus thread) and if i read one more goku versus superman/supes-prime thread i will go insane (AND I LOVE DBZ do you see what this is doing to us)

K3VIL

Precisely the reason why I think I can be a moderator.Threads like Juggernaut or the Hulk are golden mines, it's fun to see we are arguing from over a month on which is the real unstoppable guy without unleashing insults or being stupid.
On the other hand, threads like Jason VS Superman or Wolverine VS Superman sounds me like a waste of space on the board, and a major number of the members of this board feel in the same way.
Useless/No Sense/Totally dumb threads are a worst thing.
It's not a matter of being free of say what you want, it's a matter of doing stupid things cause there's no one preventing you or controlling over you.

Lord-of-Dreams
I'm sorry man, but you just lost my vote. That last comment about control threw me far. Mod'ing isn't controlling. I can't post freely knowing that the guy behin the desk is trying to control me. If you think you control in that region, you'll be easely biased. Your buddies, hte guys whom you tend to agree with mos, will somehow slip past certain rules, whereas those who argue with you more will be on a constant single breath. If you don't agree you'll come down. And 'stupid' posts will be shredded quick. As a result, you'll bog yourself down, 'cuz those dumb people will never stop. You'll end up stresses and on constant stop mode. See wha I'm saying? No hatred, man. Just a quick tip.
*newbie* sorry Paola, I couldn't hold it sad Now I hate myself...

crazyspinz
what is going on in this thread now, i havent read the whole thing, but it looks like its auditions for mods now...

Quick Freeze
no its just that a whole bunch of new comers are posting a bunch of threads that people that have been here longer dont approve of (which is completely understandable) and the mods responded by explaining how much work it takes to keep the board under control so people are just putting in their ideas on how to improve it and one thing that came up is a temporary mod until the people that are new begin to understand how it works

long pig
AC would make a good mod. He always seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to comic things.

Alpha Centauri
I can safely say I wouldn't make a good mod.

For multiple reasons.

-AC

Lord-of-Dreams
Yea. You suck!! JK
Let me tell you all: Its a lot harder to be a mod. than 'banned, closed, merged...' You also have to deal with people behind the scenes, stsy as a semi-active member, and keep the site running. Not so easy.

manjaro
i think manjaro would make a good mod stick out tongue

Linkalicious
I'm thinking Raz sees this thread and closes it immediately.

Though we're probably in the clear because I've never seen him in the comic book section.

long pig
I can safely say I wouldn't make a good mod.

For multiple reasons.

-AC
hahaha
Like what?

The Flash
Do insults ring any bells?

Alpha Centauri
hahaha
Like what?

Because I would end up closing alot of threads.

-AC

long pig
Well, thats the reason why i wanted him to mod.
instead of "this thread is closing" itd be "you pathetic little bastard ..."
see the greatness there?

The Flash
Seeing as there is a no bashing rule, no I don't see the greatness of it.

Swanky-Tuna
I can tell you this. I would spend half my day photoshopping pictures I think are clever to close threads with if I was a mod.

But as I seen many times in many discussions at Newgrounds: If you ask to be a mod, you probably won't be a mod.

Scoobless
I can tell you this. I would spend half my day photoshopping pictures I think are clever to close threads with if I was a mod.

But as I seen many times in many discussions at Newgrounds: If you ask to be a mod, you probably won't be a mod.

crap ....... does that mean my whole "please God...... don't let them make me a mod" post might have the opposite affect?....... i may end up god of the mods...... In place of a Dark Lord you shall have a Queen! ......no.....no....King.....yeah......King........Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn, trecherous as the sea, stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair........ at my Manly Kingness....... nothing funny or "Queeny" going on here

embarrasment

long pig
Originally posted by The Flash
Seeing as there is a no bashing rule, no I don't see the greatness of it.
oh my.

pr1983
oh my.

laughing

long pig
crap ....... does that mean my whole "please God...... don't let them make me a mod" post might have the opposite affect?....... i may end up god of the mods...... In place of a Dark Lord you shall have a Queen! ......no.....no....King.....yeah......King........Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn, trecherous as the sea, stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair........ at my Manly Kingness....... nothing funny or "Queeny" going on here

embarrasment
OH MY!

nigel45
I felt the need to comment on this thread at this time since as of this exact moment, the top 4 or 5 threads going on have absolutely ZERO comic book characters. All DBZ and Godzilla and crazy...japanese...stuff.

Kontraz
Hey, Godzilla is (well... was) by both marvel and darkhorse.... those aren't japanese wink

Scoobless
but he is crazy

Alpha Centauri
I would be a ruthless mod.

This forum would be like the slave pits of Genosha by the time I was done.

-AC

pr1983
I would be a ruthless mod.

This forum would be like the slave pits of Genosha by the time I was done.

-AC

You'd rule with an iron fist... why am i not surprised...

Scoobless
Originally posted by pr1983
You'd rule with an iron fist... why am i not surprised...

lol

doctorblowup........ lol (get it?)

long pig
i dont get it at all.

Scoobless
lol

doctorblowup........ lol (get it?)

doctor = Doctor

blowup = Doom

lol..............

jk AC....... big grin

Alpha Centauri
I actually thought "Wait......Nurse....explosion....".

Hahahaha.

-AC

Cosmic Cube
Oh! I get it!

Scoobless
i'll try to be slightly less obscure next time...... stick out tongue

Lord-of-Dreams
Oh my. I was SO far off. I thought it was a guy who was made crazy by the drugs of the doctor, and then he became a suicide bomber and blew himself up... wow. That sucks... Why not just post a pic of DD?

Scoobless
i was attempting to be funny without being too obvious........ i guess it worked a little too well...... lol

pr1983
i thought ac was the doctor and he was killing off newbish threads...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>