Philosophy in 'Teenage' Love

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Loving_Daniel11
I know everyone has their own views, including I. And I wanted to know if you thought teenage love was possible!?!
As for my views, I, without a doubt, DO think teenage love is possible. Ill use some of my own examples to explain. I know Im only 15, actually 16 in one month, and just because Im only 15 doesnt mean I cant make a 'grown-up' decision for myself, and being in love at my age isnt just a decision its a feeling really. Im just saying that just because im young doesnt mean I cant experience what anyone in their 20's or 30's could feel. I've been told many many times that most high school couples dont make it, but the key word is "most" not all, and plus doesnt anyone else above us in age have twice as high of a chance of getting into a fight and breaking up/divorcing than us? I think so!
Tell me what you think.

Magee
Well, like you i am only 15. And rite now i (think) am in love with a certain girl. As im as young as i am i have no clear understanding of wat it is threfore do not know what love is. Although i have never felt like this about anyone else so i perceive it as love, is it? I truly dont know.

Loving_Daniel11
I take it as a "beginning to middle" stage of love. Definately. About two months ago I felt that and now omg, I cry every time Im away from Daniel for more than a few hours.

Andrew McLeod
Well, it's time for my slightly cynical opinion on this matter. I'm 16, nearly 17 and I don't think teenagers are capable of truly understanding love. Our primary drive is lust, physical and chemical. Our heads are too clouded by this lust to accept that it isn't love. As teenagers with a lot of crap always on our minds it's impossible to tell love from lust and we tend to mistake lust for love. I just figure it's something we can't understand until we're out of this awkward transitional stage. But if we can't understand it, who's to say I'm right or wrong unless you're grown up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't date or anything. Just, don't let it all get to your head that you're truly in love. One day it'll come to you, wether it's with your highschool sweetheart or not and then you'll realize what love really is.

This is, of course, eros. The other forms of love are less complicated. I know for sure that I love my friends and my family but until I'm out of school I won't be admitting to love anyone as a spouce. That would be out and out lying. If you tell someone you love them and then you don't get married you're a liar.

Loving_Daniel11
I have absolutely NOTHING against that. I love your opinion, well said.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Andrew McLeod
This is, of course, eros. The other forms of love are less complicated. I know for sure that I love my friends and my family but until I'm out of school I won't be admitting to love anyone as a spouce. That would be out and out lying. If you tell someone you love them and then you don't get married you're a liar.

You don't need to make a legal bond to show your love is real.

Possibly the most ridiculous notion there is.

I don't buy the whole "You don't know about love till you grow up" theory. We all have different views on what love is so maybe your concept of love is different to mine, hence why you say you haven't been in it.

I know that I have, nobody can tell me different. Love doesn't always work out but it doesn't remove from the fact that it's love.

-AC

Loving_Daniel11
Wow, charming Alpha and well said. My boyfriend and I are actually waiting until we get out of high school to get married. Its a smart decision ey? I mean I suppose someone is thinking "Well it wont work before then, you'll already be broken up" I highly doubt that but if we are...so be it... love can always be found...and Love IS what I found, from Daniel.

debbiejo
Love is more complicated then just a feeling...And when you are younger you don't really know what all that involves. You feel you do, just as I and many of my friends did, but once we got older, we realized that love encompasses much much more. Many adults haven't even learned that. Love is not a "gimme thing" it's a "give you thing"

Love is truly putting ourself second...If it's to work..And yes you can feel love. I sure did at 14.

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by Loving_Daniel11
I know everyone has their own views, including I. And I wanted to know if you thought teenage love was possible!?!
As for my views, I, without a doubt, DO think teenage love is possible. Ill use some of my own examples to explain. I know Im only 15, actually 16 in one month, and just because Im only 15 doesnt mean I cant make a 'grown-up' decision for myself, and being in love at my age isnt just a decision its a feeling really. Im just saying that just because im young doesnt mean I cant experience what anyone in their 20's or 30's could feel. I've been told many many times that most high school couples dont make it, but the key word is "most" not all, and plus doesnt anyone else above us in age have twice as high of a chance of getting into a fight and breaking up/divorcing than us? I think so!
Tell me what you think.

Interesting thought you got going there.Yea I think love is possible,If you find the right person who you truly love and I mean love I don't mean excuse my lanuage want to sleep with)
and want to spend the rest of your life is.Then yea that is love.Teenager or not.JM

Andrew McLeod
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

What I meant was more the meaning of it. The idea that if you love someone you're willing to spend the rest of your life with them. If you break up then it wasn't love. True love is worth working for and you'll struggle to ensure the true love stays. That's what I meant.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah but regardless of what you meant, you said if you love someone and don't marry them (the legal bond part), then you don't love them.

Which is a bit (a lot) not true.

-AC

chelsea17
Well, if you told someone that you loved them, and you don't get married to that person, I think that there was some kind of love there. And no, I'm not talking about lust. I don't believe that you're lying if you tell someone that you love them but you don't get married. I tell one of my ex's that I love him, and I always will, just in a different way.

So I kinda disagree there

Ou Be Low hoo
Can you find real love before real innocence is lost? I think not.

Most teenagers who say they are in love are simply experiencing naive infatuation. When you grow-up you learn to appreciate the difference...It's a whole lot better and far less suffocating.

Lana
Well, it's tricky. First off, everyone has a different idea of what love is. I THOUGHT I knew what love was before, but I've realized now that before when I felt that I loved someone, it was nothing but a silly crush. I'm just now learning how intense real love is, how it feels when you really love someone. And it's wonderful, one of the best feelings in the world. In fact, it's the best thing I've ever felt. And there's no pressure, either. So, I guess that it is possible to love someone when you're a teenager (I assume by teenager you mean 15-16-17 years old, which is what everyone's been saying in here), but not until you get a little older can you fully appreciate what it means and how it feels.

What I meant was more the meaning of it. The idea that if you love someone you're willing to spend the rest of your life with them. If you break up then it wasn't love. True love is worth working for and you'll struggle to ensure the true love stays. That's what I meant.

Not true, plenty of couples break up and they were really in love. Most people who break up with someone continue to love the other person.

peterKSL
When one is in love... One should know it... that's what I say anyway...

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo

Most teenagers who say they are in love are simply experiencing naive infatuation. When you grow-up you learn to appreciate the difference...It's a whole lot better and far less suffocating.

Bit of a stretch there Mr. Fantastic, because 'most' teenagers is a very general quote.

I don't view love as a one time thing so yes, I believe it more than possible to be in love at slightly over mid to late teens. It is true that you often think you're in love, a couple of times. You may never experience love as a teen, it may come later, but I'll say this.

You may think you're in love, but only experiencing real love will ever show you what WASN'T love before. I know this because I was in a situation with a girl where I thought, beyond all doubt that she was my first love. Then when I DID fall in love, it dwarfed everything I had experienced.

-AC

Moonunit
Rubbish, Love is the guy dressed in the sack-cloth following the procession on the dusty path out of town... hell when he meets you, you don't even know he was until he goes...

Ou Be Low hoo
Bit of a stretch there Mr. Fantastic, because 'most' teenagers is a very general quote.

Well, yes, indeed...'most teenagers' is a very general term, because I am using it in a very general manner. There are exceptions that serve to prove the rule...Romeo and Juliet being such exceptions...

On the subject of ol' Shakes...

"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind."

It is a truism that a teenage mind is still in it's infancy, so thoughts of fancy are just that...

Oh, and it's Sir Fantastic...but, at a push, I'll accept 'Dr.'

Loving_Daniel11
Nah, Everyone has the right to believe what they believe and my beliefs and feelings are that Love is very real at this age; possible. And I can appreciate it just as much now when im young, happy and full of energy instead of older. Thats just the way I see it.

lil bitchiness
Not really a philosophy, so moving to GDF arrow

finti
hmm I was in love with my girlfriend when I was a teen, didnt stop me for nailing as many other chicks as possible though, now though I wouldnt dream about acting that way.
What I try to say is just like you love matures with age, you kind of get a more responsible feeling of and for love if you all get my drift, but again this might adn probably do differ from person to person....

Me and my girlfriend have been together for 10 years now, we have adaughter together so I think when me and Monika got together I was in the setteling down mode, not like when a teen and young 20`s when it was to nail as many girls as possible. When me and my mates hit the pubs and bars in the weekends it was to get drunk and meet girls, not meet them for realtion ship but for sexual encounters .........but hey thats just me

finti
I second that

leonheartmm
ok it might be a fact that 'most'{not all} teens who think they are in love dont even know what love really is, but then again neither do most adults really, only thing is that because of social and family pressures and because of the fact that they are a little more responsible owing to more expirience, they manage to stay together for longer but most of the time its because of the situation thrust upon them and not love. actually, since younger people are generally more innocent and less hardened than older folks, therefore i think that their love is more true than a grownup's love.

plus i disagree completely with poeple who say that teens dont know what love is,{beeing only 16.5 myself} i can say that teens CAN truly fall in love.

Linkalicious

Very well put.

IceWithin

That has got to be the stupidest thing Ive ever seen in KMC, "If you tell someone you love them and then you don't want to get married you're a liar"

roll eyes (sarcastic)
puh-lease!

finti
fall in love is typical teen stuff and you do so all the time. Many teens fall in love with one person one day and a different person the next day. But as you mature so does your feelings and the love you experience later on is a stronger emotion regardless what you teen claim. You just know of the love you feel now at present age so you have nothing to compare it with, us who have been teens actually talk out of experience. And "the talking out of experience" sentence is probably the sentence most teens really dont have a clue about yet the one they mostly disagree with.

Alpha Centauri
It is a truism that a teenage mind is still in it's infancy, so thoughts of fancy are just that...

Oh, and it's Sir Fantastic...but, at a push, I'll accept 'Dr.'

I'm 19, let me just completely prove that 'truism' wrong by saying it's not true.

Thoughts of fancy ARE just that. So feelings of love can be just that also. Just because alot of teens feel that they are in love when they're not, doesn't mean it's ALWAYS that way.

I didn't experience love till I was 18. So you can throw the whole "teens fall in love the whole time" thing away. I've always appreciated relationships and it's never been one crush after another. Whilst none of them bar one, were love, they were all treated with care and respect.

I'm never gonna say I won't be in love again. I will, it will be stronger and I'll have a better understanding/appreciation of it. However, that doesn't mean that it WASN'T love before hand.

-AC

Linkalicious
You fall in love at an early age, you break up, it hurts bad...you curse love...then you realize that all that pain just made you stronger. You don't make the same mistake twice, and you have an ever increasing grasp on what love truly is.

At 16...you haven't been burned enough to know what love truly is...but life has quite a few more lessons in store for you.

Alpha Centauri
I agree, with the last part. Also the first, mostly.

I never fell in love till I was 18 at the latest. I had large, genuine infatuations and lengthy relationships but that was about it. Up till now I've only been in love once, truly. I still recognise that there is MORE to love that I'll learn but I'm not removing from the fact that I experienced it.

-AC

Lana
I was always sort of scared of the thought of being in love with someone because I was scared of being hurt -- this keeps me from being able to get to close to people. Because of this, I've only had a crush on 3 people inside the past 6 years, and only 1 actually came to anything. When I first realized that I was indeed in love, it was when I was 18, 3 months before my birthday. That was 5 months ago, now, and while I can say that yes, I am indeed in love, I also recognize that I still have very much to learn about being in love with someone, and I know that I don't know everything, and I learn more every day. It's not always easy, but it's definitely worth it.

Linkalicious
I dont' want to sound mean, and I most certainly wish you the best with your relationship...but I think when/if the relationship ends it will be a good thing for you. You'll get hurt bad, but you'll be stronger for experiencing what you've experienced and your next relationship should be even more meaningful.

Lana
It doesn't sound mean, because I know that...I know that should it end it will be awful for me...but I also know that in the end it will make me a stronger person.

botankus
I wonder what fifteen-year old teenagers would think if older people told them that there's a 90% chance they won't even know their boyfriend/girlfriend when they're older, and if they do there's a good chance it won't be in good spirits.

BackFire
Sure, I guess it's possible for teenagers to be in love. However, it's damn near impossible for teenagers to find LASTING love. I.E. Who you're in love with now is probably, almost definately NOT the person you are going to be with in 10 years.

As a teen, you're not completely mentally developed yet, your emotions are still new to you, so you exagerate everything about your first relationship. Everyone thinks when they're with their first companion that "This is who I'm going to marry, I love him/her so much blah blah blah". I'd bet dollars to donuts that it won't happen. And if you do marry the person right out of high school, then get ready to get a divorce shortly after.

I think marriage should NOT happen untill everything in your life is set, you have a steady job, you've experienced numerous relationships and know how they work, and so on. It's so easy to say this stuff when you're a teen, because your mind simply can't comprehend past the short term, so you think what you have now is what you're going to have forever, because you can't picture it any other way.

Anyways, love is a very difficult thing, even for adults, for teens, it's a damn tragedy waiting to happen, but, a tragedy that will in the end make you stronger then you were before

Loving_Daniel11
Nicely said BF. I love reading everyone's opinions.

Capt_Fantastic

I agree for the most part. I do believe that there are instances where people can fall in love in their teens, and stay together for the rest of their lives. But, especially in this day and age, it is less prevelent. People in this generation are far less likely to stay with one person their entire lives since kids grow up much faster than they used to. These days, kids know more about sex than their grandparents did at twice their age.

Alpha Centauri
I do agree with what's being said.

In this day and age when it's far less complicated, easier and functional (to most) to just have friends, or f*ck buddies, there's no real need for a relationship. Thankfully, it does still happen. It's just extremely unlikely at a young age now.

-AC

Lana
I'd much rather have a serious relationship than just f*ck buddies, honestly...I don't care which one's easier, I care more about it being meaningful. Simply having friends I sleep with isn't me, at all.

Alpha Centauri
Personally, I have no problem with doing either because I make clear how I feel when I do, so no one gets hurt. Which is important to me.

I have many platonic female friends. Which is great. When I'm not ready for a relationship straight after one, I'm not gonna jump into one. If I feel like I want "company" I won't deprive myself.

When I feel like I want a serious relationship, or looking to start one, I'll knock that stuff on the head and pursue it.

As long as it isn't hurting anyone, I don't see that it's a problem. Not saying you suggested it was, you're just not for it, which is cool and understandable. I respect your view.

-AC

Lana
Oh, I have no problem with other people doing it, I just don't think I'd ever be able to. It's just not my style, I need some emotional attachment before I feel able to do anything. I guess when it comes to love and sex I'm a little old-fashioned, I'm a believer of "love before sex", so I don't think I'd ever be able to sleep with someone that I didn't feel I was in love with or could fall in love with. It's just not me.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, I respect that. Nothing wrong with it.

I couldn't sleep with just anyone, any random person.

-AC

Loving_Daniel11
..Yea and speaking of sex in/and a relationship, sex to me can or doesnt have to be part of "love" in a relationship. When I say that I say my boyfriend and I havent done it yet and that doesnt ruin/raise our level of loving each other. Just wanted to say that..

AnImE_ChAoS
i voted yes due to being in love myself. im 16, 17 in august this year and ive been in a log distance relationship for a year and a half now. sure we've had fights and petty fall outs but i am the one making the fixes and patching us up and making him see how much i lvoe him. he loves me, i know that and i love him he knows that. i agree with Lana also, i cant sleep with a guy unless i am with them and i know theres love. if there aint no love then i see no point and i dont like to (this may sound weird) makesure ig et pleasure or anything like that. i care more if the one i love does, not myself. i care for them mroe than me i guess. i may not last 10 or more years with him, but i like to hope i do, i look at him and i see myself growing old with him, i really do. if i dont get that then i dont, i guess its destiny if its somebody else isn't it?

any ho. i think we all have the right to love in the end. i dont see it as 'grown-up' to love. kids love their toyso.O kids love their parents, its jsut a stronger love to bond two people to want to live forever with eachother.

there i kinda said my bit *eats her chicken sandwich.*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/AnImE_ChAoS2/sigs%20and%20avatars/chaossig.jpg[/IMG

finti
oh but they do its just that I would call it crushes and infatuation rather than love, but still it is an emotional feeling and those feelings can get pretty hefty

Loving_Daniel11
uh...Just because you didnt experience love until your were 18 doesnt mean other people cant or anything. Sheesh.

Alpha Centauri
You drew the conclusion that I was saying that people can't experience love young? How? I said that it's wrong to say teens fall in love all the time as a generalised comment, because I didn't and I'm a teen.

-AC

DarkAge
I haven't seen my g/f in over two weeks... I feel lower when she's not around...

Andrew McLeod
Originally posted by IceWithin
That has got to be the stupidest thing Ive ever seen in KMC, "If you tell someone you love them and then you don't want to get married you're a liar"

roll eyes (sarcastic)
puh-lease!

Again, you people are missing the point. It appears you've skimmed over the topic and not fully read it. I'll explain again for those with some kind of imparement that prevents them from reading all posts. I meant if you love someone you'll be willing to spend the rest of your life with them. Even if you don't get married you're at least willing to say, "I'll stay with you until we die together. I'll never leave you." That's love. Anything that ends in another scenario isn't. If it was true love you'd fight for it and not let it go, you both would. It's not love unless the two of you will be together forever.

Suddenly I don't feel like wasting my time though if people aren't going to actually read the topic...

leonheartmm
what about when one person falls in love with sum1 but the other person isnt interested, it wont ever work and they wont spend the wrest of their lives together, but does that mean that the first person didnt LOVE the other person?

well all im sayin is that true love can {and normally is} one sided and just because u dont get to always be together doesnt mean it wasnt love

Loving_Daniel11
Well I Love Daniel and He Loves Me Back, I mean I know you, I, or anyone cant prove that, but I really have no words other than "Love" TO express what we have. I feel thats what it is, and that's what it is to me, whether it is to others or not.

Ou Be Low hoo
I'm 19, let me just completely prove that 'truism' wrong by saying it's not true.

Thoughts of fancy ARE just that. So feelings of love can be just that also. Just because alot of teens feel that they are in love when they're not, doesn't mean it's ALWAYS that way.

Well, AC...I'm afraid you have proved nothing 'wrong'. I'm referring to the 'fancy' of the mental faculty through which whims are summoned.

Also, I have not stated that is ALWAYS the case, rather that GENERALLY it is the case. There's a difference...

In part-homage to my friend, Keats...Is it possible to have loved, if one has never lost love? The answer is blowing in the wind - Thanks, Bob...

Alpha Centauri
Yes....still doesn't disprove what I said though.

You never pointed out what you were stating. You said something along the lines of love being mere thoughts of fancy, which isn't always the case. Which is NOW clear, that you believe that also.

It's possible to love without losing love. I'm not denying that as time goes on you learn more and more involving the depths to which love can go, more so than you knew before.

-AC

gls
hmm well i'm 18 and i am in love. i've been through only a few relationships (thinking that i was in love then) and now i realize what true love is. i'm very lucky to be with who i am. we have our quibbles and what nots but we both try to figure things out for eachother.
some people don't find love till they're 40 50 or even 60 or above. that's a long wait but since i found love now..i believe it would of been worth the wait of half a century or so. i would do anything and everythin for jeremy (i know it sounds cliche but i truly feel like this).

Loving_Daniel11
That's very sweet, Its pretty much the same exact thing Im experiencing. wink

jediqueen001
In my opinion, it depends, it's now been proven that when we are teenagers, our brian is still growing, which means that teenagers can't assess risk as well, or dertermin emtions properly. So we might mistake a chemical for love, or if our brian is develpomed already, we might analyse the emotion as love correctly. Because I have never taken a risk before in my life, which means I can analyse my emtions and when I fancied this guy before I never said I was in love with him, although everyone else said I was.

leonheartmm
well im gonna turn 17 in july, n ive been after a girl who is 3 years older than i am for about 4.5 years, which means that ive liked her since i was 12. a lot of people do fall in love at young ages.

a1hsauce
I think its possible. but alot of times its just simple infatuation. However fromt that, love can start to grow. Its a learning process, thats one of the reasons why people date and break up. To learn the likes and dislikes they have in people so that when that day comes, theyll know who it is they want to settle down with.

gls
yea...i know who it is now. and its my love jeremy! smile

Morbid4Daniel
a1<Which is what im doing.

Court Radcliffe
yes I think i'm in love right now!! (not with daniel :nosmile

AdventChild

I don't buy the whole "You don't know about love till you grow up" theory. We all have different views on what love is so maybe your concept of love is different to mine, hence why you say you haven't been in it.

I know that I have, nobody can tell me different. Love doesn't always work out but it doesn't remove from the fact that it's love.

-AC

OMG! that was simply Genius! I couldn't have said it better myself...WE AGREE ON SOMETHING!!!!! eek! big grin

You're definetly not as bad as i thought you were....SRY!

-AC

lol j.k on the whole -AC thing..hehe... stick out tongue

Morbid4Daniel
stick out tongue AdventChild.

Well..AC, I dont know if I've said this yet but I cant agree any more. We always disagree on something but this is actually something I cant agree any more with smile

KharmaDog
Love is a tricky word to define, and a trickier emotion to validate.

The thing is, love is forever changing. The love that two 20 year old kids feel between each other as compared to a couple that have been happily married for 40+ years is very different and went through many different stages to get to that point.

I personally don't think that really young people (in general) are capable of experiencing the type of love or loving relationship that can result in a lifelong commitment for the following reasons:

- in our early years we are still learning about ourselves, what we want out of life, what we want to do, what makes us unique. How can you really get to know what you want out of another person until you know yourself?

- haven't met enough people to compare their feelings or define their attractions

- until you have suffered from at least one major tragedy in your life, you don't know what you are made of

- to really experience love and appreciate love, you first have get your heart broken a couple of times

- preferences change through adolescence and early adulthood, if you think that won't apply to you, look around at anyone who 30+ and see how they dress, what music they listen to and the values they have, and ask them how they are different from when they are 16

I don't think that young people don't or can't fall in love, I do think that there are various different levels or intensities of love, and not until you are more mature or more experienced can you discover these or fully appreciate them. That being said, some people never do.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.