911- a nice cheap shot for GL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bILLYgOAT
WHY did he have to incorporate a homage to 911 smoldering sky-line into ROTS???
It stinks of insincerity and plays as a cheap gimmick.
How does this advance the story?

Boris
Maybe it has nothing to do with that at all.....

.:Space Opera:.
what are you talking about?

tlbauerle
Its inclusion makes the film more emotional, I think. It may not have been intentional, but I think it's extremely powerful.

PVS
does it really matter? if you hate it so much just close your eyes during that scene...mmmkay?

MoviesFan
because a building is smoking your going to kill GL

why dont you kill the terrorists that actually caused the crime?

peluffo
Why? Any smoking building has to be 911 related?

I'm so sorry about 911, but the world is bigger than NYC. It's not the gravitational center of the world.

JKozzy
Originally posted by bILLYgOAT
WHY did he have to incorporate a homage to 911 smoldering sky-line into ROTS???
It stinks of insincerity and plays as a cheap gimmick.
How does this advance the story? You know, fires and explosions did exist before then. Well, last I saw. I could be wrong, who knows. Are people like you going to relate every ash from fire to September 11th? You make me sick.

Obi-OneManShow
Those who can't follow, look at my sigh (but forget about Obi and the Leprechaun; they weren't present at 9/11)

This has been discussed before... and it's not because a big building in a city is burning that it's necessarily related to 9/11. I remember way back in 1999 when we were introduced to the Jedi Temple, there was talk about it's possible fate at the "Jedi Holocaust" (let's not get into that particular "hommage", we could start comparing the Jedi with the Jews, if we only tried hard enough...)

This reminds me of those stupid protests and online petitions people held when they heard Peter Jackson was going to call the second LOTR "The Two Towers", like he was trying to rub it in... I'm glad he didn't change the original title (dating back over 50 years BTW).
And so should Lucas have the right to put a big ol' burning building in ROTS. Also note that the towers of the temple are still standing (I think); it's not like he has Seperatist terrorists crash a ship in there or anything.
Censorship is not the right way to get over such a horrible, emotional event.

vader519
How is that a cheap shot at 911. Just because they have smoke coming out of the jedi temple, does not mean it is a cheap shot at 911. That is dumb if anyone thinks this is a cheap shot at 911.

ctsketch
yes because we all know, before 911, Burning buildings never smoked ^_^

PVS
since when is a smoking building 9-11 related?
you know, all buildings look alike from a distance when they are on fire.
should movie makers just never film a burning building from a distance ever again, out of fear of evoking 9-11?

tlbauerle
Ha...OBI...I remember that TTT fiasco...

I will admit...that was a lot dumberer than this.

ctsketch
especially cause the books were out long before the movie with the same titles

Sadako of Girth
Agreed. While fire and smoke rise, and wind exists to be blowing it to the side slightly, this comparison will always be made in the mind of the traumatised, but unless clone pilots fly captured troop transports into the side of the temple and then the temple collapses afterwards, ill have to disagree with the cheap shot remark/assessment....

tlbauerle
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
but unless clone pilots fly captured troop transports into the side of the temple and then the temple collapses afterwards, ill have to disagree with the cheap shot remark/assessment....

I know it shouldn't...but that made me giggle a bit.

bilb
It all depends on how you look at things. I read somewhere (maybe from Motee) that the shot WAS eerily reminiscent of 911 and put in as an homage to the victims and also to show what horrors evil can truly bring about..

Cheesiness
What's wrong with 911?

EHmasterJedi
People see what they want to see, this is a perfect example in billygoats case, all i see is the jedi temple smoking.

bilb
Oh just the mass murder of 3000 Americans by suicide bombers...

Obi-OneManShow
Well, even it IS purposely done... as long as it's a homage, and not taking the piss or anything, what's wrong with it? Like I said censorship is not the right way to get over such a horrible, emotional event. You have to deal with the past, not keep silent of it.

Bilb, I also remember reading somewhere that it's a very different view of Coruscant than what we're used to seeing. Usually, it's a real complex, fantasy-like view (like the foreboding red sky at the end of AOTC), yet here it's broad daylight, it's viewed from a distant, the sky is earth-like and there's hardly any traffic.

Soda
man you americans are full of shit...9/11 this 9/11 that, no wonder the whole ****ing world hates you

Cheesiness
Originally posted by bilb
Oh just the mass murder of 3000 Americans by suicide bombers...

All's fair in love and war.

WindDancer
Originally posted by Soda
man you americans are full of shit...9/11 this 9/11 that, no wonder the whole ****ing world hates you

Comments like the one this new member just did could trigger hostility and feuds among members. Let's keep politics and tragic world events out of the SW forum. Thank you.

Closed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.