Influence of Matrix on OTHER films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BioLogos
There has been lots of discussion in this forum about the influence of earlier films on The Matrix, but what about influence of the Matrix on other films/media??

It seems like every sci-fi film I see these days has bullet-time, and I even saw the "camera rotates around a subject suspended in mid-air" effect in a dog food advertisement (in place of Omega, they used a collie ).

I'd love to see a list of specific examples, and you all are MUCH more savvy about the movies/TV/etc. than I am (my movie watching these days is unfortunately biased towards those favored by the "under-10 set". I just saw "bullet time" on a Jimmy Neutron episode -- Jimmy's dad was catching marshmallows in a contest... 'nuf said).

Even though the Trilogy is over, The Matrix is everywhere! LOTR may have won more awards, but the long-term influence of The Bros' work will be greater! Happy Dance

Numo
When I saw the film Equilibrium it sooooo reminded me of the matrix. In particular there is something called the gun-kata, which is a ability of agents to dodge bullets reduced to a science, a most impressive idea and completely matrix inspired.

It is also based on a society that insists that all it's citizens (with the aid of drugs) suppress there emotions. Looking at the inhabitants of Zion in comparision with the people still connected to the matrix you see that the people of Zion seemed to me, to be in complete control of their emotions.

Ushgarak
Obviously bullet time- although not literally used first by the Matrix, certainly pioneered as the phenomenon we know it is by it- is the Matrix's biggest contribution to film lore.

The Alpha
Definitely matrix has influenced other films.

The Alpha
So i was saying...
Definitely "The Matrix" has influenced other films. Now, at least I am not that satisfied with other movies' fighting scenes as long as i've seen "The Matrix". Now, the problem is that what should others do?

BackFire
Bullettime is the only definate one I can think of.

dragonpisces272
there were also movies that bit off the matrix bullet-time, such as charlies angels, shrek, etc. Besides the bullet time, I would have to say the coat/glasses effect. Or maybe the prolonged language of Smith lol...I dont actually watch the BMX championships, but when the rider goes into the air, they freeze the camera and do the bullet time effect to see the positioning of the stunt

burlyman
In 'The One' when he dodges the bullets in slow motion erm

JediHDM
In the Matrix, the opening scene, when Trinity jumps up into the air and kicks the police man in the head...they have overused that gem...b/c it was so popular

jimmy986
they also had that car commercial where they chose what kind of car and what color and insurance agent.it was all white and every time they changed something it would fly through the air just like in the construct in M1 when neo is getting "guns, lots of guns" does anyone remember that?i actually saw that before i watched the matrix.yes, i was a loser who saw it long after it came out but o became a die hard fan.

JediHDM
no, i don't remember what you are talking about...no clue whatsoever... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shade
And that new deoderant commercial for "Degree"

Some lady is hooked up to a virtual reality world, where she is chased by a man in a suit. And the guy in the suit keeps "copying" himself.

JediHDM
...really...never seen it before...

sum1butno1
Y'know what? I saw Equilibrium, and I liked the gun kata thingy a heckuva lot better than most Matrix bullet-time. It was just so friggin' fast!!!

VenomVA
I've seen those commercials...they are ok

xxphreakxx
hey wat bout the upcoming movie i, robot, does that have any ties to the animatrix: second renaissance?

sum1butno1
I'd have thought it'd be more of an Isaac Asimov reference. Wasn't there a book by him with that title?

JediHDM
yes...I, Robot was written by Isaac Asimov, and i can guarantee that the Matrix was lnfluenced by him, not the other way around...

Numo
I think the most obvious is that after the Matrix, action films changed in one very specific way.

Up until that point only actors who could already fight and lets face it, couldn't act did action films. But after the matrix, actors would train in a particular martial arts form for months before a film to get in shape for role.
Examples of this would be Last Samurai, Bourne Identity and the Transporter.

The Alpha
The fight scene in Shrek (when the princess fights with robbers) is a major example.

BioLogos
Yes!! The fight scene is Shrek is great! but I had forgotten about it. This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

xeous
Yeah, cause we all know how in shape Cameron Diaz' voice had to be to do all that, right?

BioLogos
Well, Xeous, you are right -- "Shrek" is not exactly an example of influence on other films, but is is a fun reference to The Matrix that shows how influential the movies have been on "culture". Numo's example of actors now training to do their own fighting is a real example of influence on moviemaking itself.

Keep them coming!

xeous
Kill Bill.

JediHDM
I wouldn't say Kill Bill is influenced by the Matrix...b/c Quentin Tarantino has been like that...just think of Pulp Fiction...not every sword fight is influenced...

xeous
I said Kill Bill because all the actors/actresses did the fight scenes themselves. And they were with REAL swords...Scary...Uma said she was scared to death for the first few weeks of filming...

Korri
KIll Bill rocks rock

The Alpha
What is Kill Bill? confused

Korri
shock you dont know what Kill Bill is?

The Alpha
nope no

Korri
Kill Bill is one of the best films ever. Its the fourth film from the legendary Director Quentin Tarrintino. It stars Uma Thurman.

http://www.cinema.vrn.ru/images/13dec/kill_bill_ver4.jpg

dragonpisces272
yes kill bill rocks

Korri
i already pointed that out no expression

dragonpisces272
oh...didnt read the top half

xeous
Uma's hott...Especially with that sword...

forumcrew
gun-kata is very different from dodging bullets in the matrix, in the matrix agents moved fast and neo well neo could control the construct, in equilibrium the gramaton clerics have no special ability apart from their martial arts like gun training

sum1butno1
Yeah. "The geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable factor".
All the Clerics do is shoot where people have been proven to be 9 out of 10 times and keep moving, making themselves a difficult target while maintaining an efficient kill percentage.

Alias_Neo
I think that any film that has any Dragon Ball Z fighting in it is derived from the Matrix

JediHDM
uh...DBZ fighting was there a long time before the matrix was created...

sum1butno1
Yeah... this is turning into another "Inspirations for the Matrix" thread.

Numo
One question: If the creator of Equilibrium had not seen the matrix, would he have come up with the idea for the gun-kata?

JediHDM
You are assuming he had seen the Matrix.

Numo
All arguments are based on an assumption.

xeous
Assumptions make donkeys out of you and me.

Numo
That may be true, unfortunately they are necessaryaqnd infact inherent to everything that we believe to be true, simply because there is no such thing as absolute knowledge, everything can be doubted and i mean everything.

Before the Japanese in the 1700's everybody KNEW that the world was flat, before modern Astronomy everybody KNEW that the Sun and Moon rotated around the Earth. Assumptions believed to be fact or visa-versa?

mook
Equilibrium is '1982' crossed with 'the matrix'

Numo
My reasons for believing that Equilibrium was influenced by the Matrix.

1) Agents of the system dodging bullets, in both films.
2) The Government lobby shoot out scene, again in both films.
3) Neo glowing white after destoying Smith, Preston wearing all white at the end of the film.
4) After Neo destroys Smith the look that he gave which made the two agents run away. Same look Preston gave agents that were on the computers broadcasting Father's message and again equal reaction on their parts, they ran away.

JediHDM
mook> it's 1984, not 1982.

and my point is that, there were many books of an anti-hero type nature before the 20th century, and many many more in the 20th century. just because the Matrix has bullet-time doesn't mean everything that has bullet time, or 'agents' 'dodging' bullets is copied off the Matrix.

BioLogos
>Jedi HDM " just because the Matrix has bullet-time doesn't mean everything that has bullet time, or 'agents' 'dodging' bullets is copied off the Matrix."

I disagree (although maybe I don't know what I'm talking about). Didn't the Bros INVENT "bullet time", at least in a cinematographic sense?? I think that anyone else who uses this technique IS directly using The Matrix.

Yes, the technique of increasing tension by slowing down or freezing an intense action mid-stream is very old, but The Bros added to this in two ways -- 1) bullet time; 2) the freeze-time rotation of the camera so that you see an instant of an action (like Trinity's kick) from many angles.

Of course, BOTH of these techniques can be seen as direct insertions of comic-book techniques into movies -- "bullet time" is exactly how a comic book writer would show you rapid movement like a moving. And ALL comic book pictures are "instants" of action frozen in time.

JediHDM
yes, the brothers took an idea long used in comic books, and transfered it to film. in this sense, they are the creators of bullet-time. but, as you also pointed out, they just improved on a previous idea.

Numo
Would the recent Star Wars films have used martial arts in the fight scenes if not for the matrix. And did the matrix bring Martial arts into Hollywood fight scenes?

JediHDM
Of course they would have. Martial arts while using lightsabers is older than the Matrix...it has been in books, games, etc. in the realm of Star Wars.

Numo
Of course how stupid of me! I mean Return of the Jedi had the best martial arts fight scenes i ever seen in any movie, not to mention Empire Strikes Back. And those Ewoks well great Kung Fu masters they were.

icansee
Any body seen Equilibrium?

Starring the new Batman?

Numo
I think the film 'A Beautiful Mind' was definitely influenced by the matrix and that influenced Reloaded. My reasons:

Russell Crowe's character is one that can see hidden mathematical code in everything. When in the film Ed Harris's charachter first comes to see him his office number on the door is 101. Earlier on in the film we see Russell Crowe walking behind birds as he is trying to work out this theory of Governing Dynamics.

Now fast forward to Reloaded and we see the Architect saying that the matrix was based on a harmony of mathamatical equations. Also when the Oracle was talking to Neo and she pointed to the birds and said that there was a program written to 'govern them', and she never used that word again.

JediHDM
uh...you realize that 'a beautiful mind' was a true story, right? that it's not based on anything but the true story of mr. Nash (?). Also, as has been said before, 101 is the room number of the room in 1984 where people are reeducated to love big brother.

Numo
Yes I know that it is a true story and i also know that Ron Howard (the director) is a fan of the matrix, of all Sci-fi actually. I believe it to be a nod therefore to the matrix you can disagree if you chose.

JediHDM
again i say, the use of the room number '101' did not originate with the matrix, nor will it end with the Matrix...

Numo
Although I know that you love to have the last word, I will say that at least on this we are in agreement, but it's use after the matrix will be because of the matrix.

JediHDM
ok, i will agree with that, since our society is becoming more and more electronic based and less literature based, people will equate 101 with Matrix rather than its originator...

...and i'm not trying to have the last word...

Numo
We'll see.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.