Terry Schiavo Dies At Age 41

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Priestess
Please take the time to read this news story and visit the link below BEFORE you post. I'm curious to know what other people think of this situation.

Court Won't Intervene to Save Schiavo
Top Stories - AP

TAMPA, Fla. - A state appeals court Wednesday refused to block the removal of Terri Schiavo's feeding tube later this week in the long-running right-to-die battle between the woman's husband and her parents.
The 2nd District Court of Appeal in Lakeland turned down a request from Bob and Mary Schindler for a delay while they pursue further appeals, and for a new trial on their daughter's fate.
The tube is scheduled to be removed on Friday at 1 p.m.
Schiavo, 41, suffered severe brain damage in 1990 when her heart stopped beating, and court-appointed doctors say she is in a persistent vegetative state.
Her husband, Michael Schiavo, has said she told him she would not want to be kept alive artificially. Her parents dispute that, and say she could get better.
Late last month, Circuit Judge George Greer granted Michael Schiavo permission to remove his wife's feeding tube.
Meanwhile, state House and Senate committees have endorsed bills aimed at preventing removal of the tube.

and then the other side of the coin

http://www.terrisfight.org/

bilb
You know what really bugs me about all this? Not whether a person has teh right to die, etc.... but rather that everyone in a postition to mediate the situation is afraid to because tehy are scared they will get sued.. Friggin litigious society...

Fire
Kind of a hard one since there seems to be no evidence of what she told her husband (alteast that's what I know). Personally I'm all for people being able to have their live terminated in a state like that.

However the way they are doing it is just wrong

XIA
Her own husband said she would want to die? pfft, jackass! no expression

Storm
I told my family that if anything should happen to me and I have to live in a vegetative state, they can end my life after a certain amount of years.

Jedi Priestess
The thing is, if you look at the videos on her site, she doesnt seem to be completely mia brain-wise to me.

Jedi Priestess
WOW no one else has an opinion about this? messed messed

debbiejo
The husband said she didn't want to live as a vegetable and she is legally under his care, since they are husband and wife. But, if the parents want to take the expense on their selves, use their own money to sustain her, then I think they should be allowed to.

Just my opinion

The Inkeeper
Im for all forms of euthanasia erm

I dont care about any of this 'its gods decision' crap, if God wanted you to keep living he would turn you into a zombified creature with the intelligence of a vegetable.

So if there is no chance of recovery, empty the bed.

BackFire
Let her die.

Reborn Again
If its her wish, its her right!

bilb
Originally posted by Fire
Kind of a hard one since there seems to be no evidence of what she told her husband (alteast that's what I know). Personally I'm all for people being able to have their live terminated in a state like that.

However the way they are doing it is just wrong

Like I said, everyone is scared of being sued....

GCG
Terri Schiavo has to be dependant on others to live, but frankly i wouldnt want to be a dead weight to any of my realtives, especially if i am in a vegetal state. After almost 15 years of battling to try and regain her former self, i think its time to let go.

Keeping her alive by friends and relatives is the proper gesture one initially expects, but one has to look at the odds of a human brain (that was oxygen starved) to get back to what it used to be or as close as it can get to a general functional brain.......which so far have yet to make history.

Tptmanno1
Touchy touchy subject.
Its really hard to decide because my usual stance on issues does not really apply, I usually say I am OK with it if it doesn't affect anyone else. But this does and it doesn't.
Im thouraly confused

frau
Personally I would not want to live in that state, but I do not feel comfortable with starving this poor woman to death. That has got to be a horrible way to go.

What a sad situation the whole thing is. sad Not to mention her husband has long ago moved in with another woman and has had 2 children with her. Why doesn't he just divorce her, give custody over to her parents, and go on with his life?

GCG
Originally posted by frau
Personally I would not want to live in that state, but I do not feel comfortable with starving this poor woman to death. That has got to be a horrible way to go.

i gotta agree with that ; there must be a more humane way.

off topic but:

Recently a friend of mine was expecting a baby with his girlfriend. During the pregnancy she never suffered the slightest of side effects some women get during pregnancy. She stopped drinking and she stopped smoking.
When her waters broke, at hospital she was delivering the baby. Then those 2 minutes of nothing as the baby would not come out. She (the babay) had to be delivered through ceaserean. Sadly Page (baby's name) was born in a coma and is currently being kept alive artificially.

both my friend and his girlfriend know that there is nothing that can be done. The baby was born in a comatose state....so it hasnt even started to live and its already dead. The parents have accepted it but still go visit it daily. Does anyone agree to pull the plug off ?

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by frau
Not to mention her husband has long ago moved in with another woman and has had 2 children with her. Why doesn't he just divorce her, give custody over to her parents, and go on with his life?

I wondered that myself. messed

Raz

Jedi Priestess
Yeah realised that after it was too late to edit. Thanks boss for fixing it. smile

bilb
Originally posted by GCG

off topic but:

Recently a friend of mine was expecting a baby with his girlfriend. During the pregnancy she never suffered the slightest of side effects some women get during pregnancy. She stopped drinking and she stopped smoking.
When her waters broke, at hospital she was delivering the baby. Then those 2 minutes of nothing as the baby would not come out. She (the babay) had to be delivered through ceaserean. Sadly Page (baby's name) was born in a coma and is currently being kept alive artificially.

both my friend and his girlfriend know that there is nothing that can be done. The baby was born in a comatose state....so it hasnt even started to live and its already dead. The parents have accepted it but still go visit it daily. Does anyone agree to pull the plug off ?

Wow that is awful.. I dont think you can really know what you would do until you are actually in that situation but if it were me, I probably would pull the plug. I have lost a child & know how gut wrenching it is, but at leasr my baby died in his sleep with no suffering. Seems like seeing your infant child being hooked up to all that would be too much to bear. But then again, I cannot imagine having to sign that paper to remove life support. What an awful choice to have to make.. Your friends have my sympathy and my prayers..

Adam_PoE
If Terri Schiavo expressed to her husband that she does not want to be sustained artificially in a persistent vegetative state, it does not matter if her parents are willing to take on the responsibility of her long-term care; She does not want to be kept alive that way.

bilb
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
If Terri Schiavo expressed to her husband that she does not want to be sustained artificially in a persistent vegetative state, it does not matter if her parents are willing to take on the responsibility of her long-term care; She does not want to be kept alive that way.

Well thats the way things are supposed to work but in reality it doesnt happen that way. Even if you sign 500 differnet living wills, durable power of attorney, etc.. and tell everyone you know that if you are ina vegetative state you do NOT want to be kept alive, all it takes is ONE person close to the situation to object and the docs wont do it.. like i said before, they dont wanna get sued so they just dont honor the wishes of the patient as a preemptive strike against litigation.. I am a nurse and have seen this many times.....

GCG
Originally posted by bilb
Wow that is awful.. I dont think you can really know what you would do until you are actually in that situation but if it were me, I probably would pull the plug. I have lost a child & know how gut wrenching it is, but at leasr my baby died in his sleep with no suffering. Seems like seeing your infant child being hooked up to all that would be too much to bear. But then again, I cannot imagine having to sign that paper to remove life support. What an awful choice to have to make.. Your friends have my sympathy and my prayers..

the sad reminder she will be having is the ceaserean scar as Page passd away naturally . meh life is life sad

Adam_PoE

bilb
"The Republican-controlled Senate health committee earlier Friday requested that Schiavo and her husband appear at a hearing March 28 on health care for "non-ambulatory persons." The move to include Terri Schiavo, who is in a vegetative state, was meant to block the removal of her tube, at least until the congressional hearing is held.

In a press release, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, himself a doctor, noted that federal law "protects witnesses called before official Congressional committee proceedings from anyone who may obstruct or impede a witness' attendance or testimony."

Now that is one of the DUMBEST things I have ever heard. Why bother with a court system at all if you are just gonna try & get around it when you dont like the verdict?

Adam_PoE

Adam_PoE

bilb
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7212079/page/2/

Gah!! I HATE POLITICIANS!!! mad mad mad

WindDancer
What I don't understand is why is the husband so anxious to remove the tube? I can understand some of his reasons, but him and his family want this to be done as quickly as possible. Something is not right in this case......hmmm....

SlipknoT
I know i would want to die if that happened to me

Draco69
Originally posted by WindDancer
What I don't understand is why is the husband so anxious to remove the tube? I can understand some of his reasons, but him and his family want this to be done as quickly as possible. Something is not right in this case......hmmm....

Exactly. Who says the woman wants to die? The husband. Who's already remarried with kids. Something isn't right. The woman can communicate with her parents using blinking. Her parents says she wants to live. The husband says she wants to die. The court can't ask the woman because they deem her unfit to rationally understand the consequnces of her actions. Her cognitive awareness is completely disarrayed. Her brain is on the fritz. "Yes" can mean "No" to her. She can't make sense of information that is too complex.

Removing the feeding tube is downright wrong. They are literally starving a woman to death. A conscious and aware woman is starving to death. A VERY painful death. This isn't the way. Something is not right in this case.

FeceMan
Just a little sumpin'-sumpin' I found. Personally, I am distrustful of the husband's interests, especially since he has denied her therapy and has been moving her from hospital to hospital to prevent it.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Draco69
Exactly. Who says the woman wants to die? The husband. Who's already remarried with kids. Something isn't right. The woman can communicate with her parents using blinking. Her parents says she wants to live. The husband says she wants to die. The court can't ask the woman because they deem her unfit to rationally understand the consequnces of her actions. Her cognitive awareness is completely disarrayed. Her brain is on the fritz. "Yes" can mean "No" to her. She can't make sense of information that is too complex.

Removing the feeding tube is downright wrong. They are literally starving a woman to death. A conscious and aware woman is starving to death. A VERY painful death. This isn't the way. Something is not right in this case.

Terri Schiavo has been in a persistent vegetative state with no hope for recovery for the past 15 years, a state that she expressed to her husband that she would not want to live in.

Michael Schiavo may have moved forward with his life, but this does not mean that he still does not love his wife and want her wishes to be carried out.

And while it is noble of the parents to be willing to be responsible for her long-term care, it goes against her wishes.

Draco69
Her wishes are unclear. The husband says she wants to die. The parents and several nurses say she wants to live. It's in the air.

The husband is on thin ice. He had to pay for 15 years of medical care. Who's to say that he wants his wife to die so that he can stop paying for the medical treatment?

manny321
THis is getting massive press up here. Its the main headline up here in Canada. Anyways i think the feeding tube should be taken out if the state court said it could. I don't undertsand why such high level people are getting involved. They have bigger issues to worry about and i bet a whole huge "bruha ha" will develop from this.

rodeoangel
For those of you who do not know what the Terri Schiavo's case is it's a woman who people say is in a vegitative state. Her husband recently had her feeding tube removed and is starving her to death. Her husband refuses to sign her over to the custody of her parents and he even turned down a million dollar offer from a generous man. I think her case is unfair. If you have any comments please post them here.

KidRock
i think is good that they are letting her pass on. Imagine if she is concious and knows for the next 40 years of her life she is just going to be sitting in that bed, it would be torture and it would drive her phycotic(sp?).

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Draco69
Her wishes are unclear. The husband says she wants to die. The parents and several nurses say she wants to live. It's in the air.

The husband is on thin ice. He had to pay for 15 years of medical care. Who's to say that he wants his wife to die so that he can stop paying for the medical treatment?

If he did not want to be responsible for paying for her medical treament, he could have divorced her long before now.

If he did not want to be responsible for paying for her medical treatment, he could have allowed her parents to take over the responsibility long before now.

If it is simply a matter of not being responsible for paying her medical bills or her long-term care, responsibilities that her family is willing to take on, why would he object?

Imaginary
Thread on this already, "Court Won't Block Feeding Tube Removal"

Echuu
i think it is totally unfair and the husband is a creep.

first he filed a lawsuit to get a bunch of money to support her and now he is trying to kill her and get a bunch of insurance money.

Terri is obviously not in a vegitative state; she can laugh and almost make out words and you can see reactions in her face- she is not on any sort of resporator, she just needs a feeding tube because she cant feed herself.

I heard on the radio today about a story involving terri in the news.
there was an attorney talking with terri at one time- she was quoted in an article- she asked terri if she could just say the words " I want to live"
Terri tried desperately but she could only say I waaaa.
After that she looked very frusterated to the attorney.

I'll see if I can find the story for posting.

KidRock
Originally posted by Echuu
i think it is totally unfair and the husband is a creep.

first he filed a lawsuit to get a bunch of money to support her and now he is trying to kill her and get a bunch of insurance money.

Terri is obviously not in a vegitative state; she can laugh and almost make out words and you can see reactions in her face- she is not on any sort of resporator, she just needs a feeding tube because she cant feed herself.

I heard on the radio today about a story involving terri in the news.
there was an attorney talking with terri at one time- she was quoted in an article- she asked terri if she could just say the words " I want to live"
Terri tried desperately but she could only say I waaaa.
After that she looked very frusterated to the attorney.

I'll see if I can find the story for posting.

shes on a breathing resperator to isnt she?

Also how do you know she didnt say "i want to die?"

Echuu
no she isn't on a resperator

i know that she didnt say i want to die because the attorney specifically said to her that this could all be avoided if she just said i want to live.
The attorney asked her to say I want to live.

I know what you mean though, it's a little hazy; im looking for the article right now.

Darth Revan
If she really is in a vegitative state and there's no possibility of her recovering, the only fair thing to do is let her die. Though if her husband is making it up to get insurance money, that's disgusting.

Echuu
I think the reason that he won't let her be taken care of by the parents is because he will lose power of attorney and the right to demand her death and therefore any insurance money

Adam_PoE

Adam_PoE
Because any insurance money he seeks to gain will almost cover the 15 years of medical bills she has accrued. roll eyes (sarcastic)

SlickRick69
think I saw something like this in that movie The Seventh Sign ... only that was about killing that retarded murderer, the last Zion or the last starfighter or something...

if she dies, that will signal the end of the world as we know it...

and I feel fine...

Echuu

Adam_PoE
Why is it that Terri only seems to speak in the presence of her parents and their attorney, when she has not spoken in the presence of anyone else in 15 years?

Echuu
Actually in another article it says that the family was saying she is often talkative but it is similar to a ten-month-old

Adam_PoE
That does not answer my question; Why is it that Terri only seems to speak in the presence of her parents and their attorney, when she has not spoken in the presence of anyone else in 15 years?

Echuu
one reason may be because the husband hasn't let hardly anyone around her and when he does it is for a short time

Adam_PoE
That's right, she has been under constant medical care for 15 years but has had no opportunity to speak to anyone. roll eyes (sarcastic)

bilb
Thats just silly. Even if she does have the vocal capability of a ten month old (which I doubt) its not like a 10 mo old can say much of anything and certainly not entire sentences..

bilb
Well, Dubya & congress' reprehensible attempts at circumventing the legal system have have failed for now. Federal judge in Tampa has ruled that the tube NOT be placed back in Terry Schiavo..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7254897/?GT1=6305

Napalm
Originally posted by GCG

off topic but:

Kill it

Adam_PoE
I used to feel that removing her feeding tube and starving her to death is inhumane. Then I learned that individuals in a persistent vegetative state appear to be concious but have no more brain functioning then an individual in a comatose state. This means that such an individual has absolutely no conciousness; he cannot think, feel, or even dream. Therefore, if her feeding tube is removed, she will not be aware that she is starving, nor will she feel any pain.

Linkalicious
Husband should have the say in this matter.....as the law states.

Being in a vegitative state for 14 years is long enough. Not that I should put a limit on how long a person gets to live....but christ....14 years...no

bilb
Agreed

FeceMan
I used to feel that removing her feeding tube and starving her to death is inhumane. Then I learned that individuals in a persistent vegetative state appear to be concious but have no more brain functioning then an individual in a comatose state. This means that such an individual has absolutely no conciousness; he cannot think, feel, or even dream. Therefore, if her feeding tube is removed, she will not be aware that she is starving, nor will she feel any pain.
I know the facts, but I still think starving someone to death is cruel. To me, it is like sticking a piece of meat out in the hot sun--how long before it 'turns'? If you did this, I could not stand there. I have no idea why, but I just can't deal with that sort of thing. Seriously. When I was younger and was sick, I was nearly incapable of watching the school bus pull away from where it would pick me up simply because...I don't know.

*Shrugs.*

It's not like disconnecting life support, where the person will be dead in minutes (with luck). I can't explain it, but that's just how I am.

bilb
Well I understand what you mean, but as someone stated earlier, if she is indeed in a comatose / vegetative state then she would also suffer from a lack of sensory perception and would feel nothing in the process. Theoretically at least.

buttcrack
some one sayed that when the ladys husband and her were watchin tv before this all happent and it had someone just like her on it and she said that if that ever happend to her she would want to have them pull the tube out.... i dont no if she really said that but that is what one of my friends said

FeceMan
Originally posted by bilb
Well I understand what you mean, but as someone stated earlier, if she is indeed in a comatose / vegetative state then she would also suffer from a lack of sensory perception and would feel nothing in the process. Theoretically at least.
It's not that, though. It's just the concept of "how long before it breaks"...I cannot explain it at all.

Capt_Fantastic
Okay. I'll finally post on this subject. I wish I cared for her, in the least. But, I don't. Tests have been run, procedures have been peformed. The assumption that the end has come is beyond dispute. Despite the fact that I have issues with handicapped and retarded people...simply based on physical appearance....has little to do with it. She should be off'ed. Do I need to get into it?

kevdude
well i dont really think she should die, i have heard before that terri was doing ok and the nurses asked her questions and she could at least talk somewhat but after years of no help this is what has happened to terri, also her husband does not want her to get help that is strange, i saw him on tv just a few days ago talking with larry king and it seemed like he had no Heart when he was talking about terri like he didnt even care, he has a new wife and 2 kids, also i have heard that some of the nurses have heard him talking in the hospital about terri and asking someone if that )badword( has died yet?? it seems like they had a very ruff marriage and he dont care for her anymore or he never cared for her, her family has said that she never said that she would want to die it is just something her husband has said. if he doesnt really like her just let her mom and dad take care of her, she needs help which her husband has never really gave her

BullitNutz
From what I've read/seen/heard in the news, blogs, and Abstract Appeal, I feel that the Schindlers have deliberately gone to the media and turned Terri's situation into a political circus, pulled a character assassination on Michael Schiavo, and more or less used Terri (or what's left of her) as a stepping stool into the limelight and their 15 minutes of fame. If Michael Schiavo was out for money, would he have turned down the offer of $1 million to walk away from the case? And if he had indeed been offered $10M to do the same, and had indeed refused just like the $1M offer, would you need further proof that he is not "in it for the money?" Perhaps his repeated efforts to separate himself from the financial aspects of the situation by placing the malpractice award in a trust fund, accessible only to a neutral third party, and repeated offers to fully divest himself (disavow his right to financial gain) from the award, would be ample proof.

Furthermore, the case has been brought to a number of courts, nearly every one who has fully heard the case has ruled in favor of Michael in terms of what they believe Terri's wishes to be.

Truth is, Terri's brain has literally been rotting in her skull for the past decade-and-a-half. Michael Schiavo has sought radical treatments in the past in hopes of bringing Terri out of her PVS (persistent/permanent vegatative state) in one way or another. Numerous sources have also said that Michael is the most regular visitor to Terri's side at the hospice at which she is receiving treatment, and the fact that she has not fallen ill from infection or received a single bedsore in her entire stay at the hospice is a testament to Michael's continued efforts to ensure Terri received and continues to receive the best of care.

Brain scans have shown Terri's brain to be a mass of mostly dead matter, with much of her cerebral cortex a fluid-filled void in her skull. Pretty much the only part of her brain still functioning is the primitive section, which controls very basic, autonomous or near-autonomous functions and reflexes. Succinctly put, Terri, as in reference to her pre-cardiac-arrest self, is dead and gone. She is a corpse which has not yet cooled. To continue to keep her alive is sickly inhumane, like breaking an animal's back and just watching it squirm. This is not a "right-to-life" or "right-to-die" issue as much as it is the issue of a family that cannot let Terri rest in peace, even after nearly 15 years of the same state of non-being she has been in and confirmed to have been in the whole time by doctors, both court-appointed and private. To keep her alive by vital signs only is to prolong the inevitable. The woman has pretty much no brain left. What little bits are left are riddled with fluid-filled holes. It has been put forth by many doctors that she most likely cannot feel pain, let alone generate the complex brain activity that would comprise even the most rudimentary speech, personality, or intelligent response to external stimuli. She has been dead for 15 years, it is just that the Schindlers have not allowed her to rest.

Cinemaddiction
Didn't read it all, but I figured it's pretty easy to sum up. LIke BN said, she's been "dead" for 15 years, she isn't getting any better, it's selfish for her family to keep her "alive", however , putting deciding to just finally put her under would be a little more humane.

Starving to death is wrong, granted. It's kind of ironic that this very instance is what brough on her condition in the first place.

Afro Cheese
I haven't payed much attention to this. But from what I understand, she's been in this state for 15 years, and her parents are hoping for some sort of medical miracle. I think they just need to move on and say goodbye. The husband has nothing to gain from any of this, so I don't so why he'd lie about her telling him she doesn't want to live like that. In fact from what I hear the parents offered to pay him to back off. Personally I think it's disgusting how much attention this whole thing is getting.

Deano
http://www.rense.com/1.imagesG/waterr.jpg

kid arrested for trying to bring terri water

Ketchuptome
I dont no why yas want her to live.She brain dead so she is partically a corpse and the feedin tube money will come outta of our taxes.I say let her die.Wats the purpose??

FeceMan
Originally posted by Deano
Yeah, that'll teach that ******* a lesson! confused

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by FeceMan
Yeah, that'll teach that ******* a lesson! confused

It was irresponsible of his parents to put him up to that stunt. People who exploit their children this way should not be parents.

Magee
Im sorry i dont live in America so i dont know the story. But has she been like she is for 15 yrs? Because if thats the case the plug should have been pulled yrs ago. Its not fair for someone to live (if it can be called that) like that when it could be ended with just the pull of a plug.

Cinemaddiction
It was irresponsible of his parents to put him up to that stunt. People who exploit their children this way should not be parents.

Word.

KidRock
Originally posted by Deano

Well that kid got what he deserved

WindDancer
That does not answer my question; Why is it that Terri only seems to speak in the presence of her parents and their attorney, when she has not spoken in the presence of anyone else in 15 years?

Riiiight....why doesn't she speaks to her husband that wants to see her die? Anything she might say to him could be turned around or twisted so that husband may make her sound like she wants to die. Best thing for her to do is to speak to the people she trusts. Not to her ex-husband that wants her death.

As for the kid getting arrested...WTH? It takes two big cops to arrest a kid? What are those pigs up to with the police brutally? Bah!

Beyonder
Originally posted by WindDancer
Riiiight....why doesn't she speaks to her husband that wants to see her die? Anything she might say to him could be turned around or twisted so that husband may make her sound like she wants to die. Best thing for her to do is to speak to the people she trusts. Not to her ex-husband that wants her death.

Riiiiight...because her husband is their all the time. It's not like there weren't doctors to talk to or specialist who were appointed by the court examine Terri.

Yes it does. Should anyone feel sorry for that kid who tried some sh!t like that?

long pig
http://stuff.ubersite.com/111211737819330334/1/schiavo5gu.jpg
The end of america is near when someone thinks this is funny.
FLAWLESS VICTORY!

how long has she been on a feedin tube?

ShadowKing
sad sad

Twelve days without food and water...
I'd like to see any of you who joke about offin' her try it

(not you Gandhi!)

ragesRemorse
The parents want to pay, and take care of her. I dont understand why she cannot be released to them. It's scary when a partner in a marrage has more say over even the state, about your life. Dude wants her dead, and he's getting it.

Mist
ummm....has she died yet?

(not being offensive, just asking)

bilb
Nope still hanging in there right now..

SlipknoT
Did anyone see South Park tonight? laughing

BackFire
Yep, once again proving why it's the most original and controversial (not to mention downright clever) show currently on TV. This weeks episode was a prime example of what makes SP so damn great, they tackle topics that no one else dare touch, and they do it in a brilliant "if you don't like it, **** off" manner. Awesome episode, one of the best of the past few seasons.

SlipknoT
The cover topics so quickely

BackFire
I know, it's amazing.

finti
to get a tad back on topic, the woman needs life support to stay alive which means she is actual more or less dead, let the woman die with at least some dignity left. If her parents so fu*cking love her then they should give her whats left of her dignity, she has been a goner for some years now accept it. Making this story into the media circus it has become is disgusting and people(read the media) should really be ashamed of themselves have they no respect for humans at all.

Mist
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050331/ap_on_re_us/brain_damaged_woman

finti
well its over now, rest in peace ........ by how things have been the last month she certainly deserves it

Mainstream
amen to that finti

debbiejo
Poor thing...I thought people couldn't survive only but 3 or 4 days without water.

Mainstream
I thought it was a week.

Ketchuptome
Terry Schiavo is dead.She died earlier this day.
Post ur thoughts below.

Echuu
The government starved her- now they can starve any of us!!!!!!

monty python voices*

RUNAWAY!!!!!!! RUNAWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Linkalicious
Thank freaking god.

Her 15 minutes of fame are over. Now we can go over dramatize another handicapped person's struggles through life.

Shoulda shot her in the head from the get go so that reporters could find something better to do with their jounarlistic skills over the past month.

Sorry if that sounds insensitive, but there's no reason to build up this woman's death as if she is in any way more acceptional than anyone else who dies.

silver_tears
They did no such thing no expression

yerssot
Link, I don't think she wanted those 15 minutes of fame in the first place

finti
my thoughts are that the media who covered this circus is totally f*ucked over for human respect.

Linkalicious
You know....I have the funny feeling you might be right about that.

KharmaDog
This whole fiasco was disgusting. The media and all the politicians involved are jokes. That woman technically died 15 years ago, hopefully everyone can now go on with their lives.

WindDancer
First and foremost my thoughts go to the family of Terry. May her soul rest in peace.

Second, I'm merging the threads and renaming the thread since is now official that Terry has passed away.

Third, I like South Park and I think it is a funny show. But is kinda eerie that after last night show the news of Terry's death is announced. Very bad timing. And sure this is going to turn nasty for the Matt and Trey.

Originally posted by finti
my thoughts are that the media who covered this circus is totally f*ucked over for human respect.

They are doing their job. The press always takes on the most controversial cases out there. Is really not their fault. They have report anything that their subscribers want to know.

Linkalicious
Care to elaborate on what happened in this episode of South Park?

I didn't get to TiVo it. sad

Echuu
Originally posted by KharmaDog
This whole fiasco was disgusting. The media and all the politicians involved are jokes. That woman technically died 15 years ago, hopefully everyone can now go on with their lives.

HOLY CRAP

you think she died 15 years ago? thats a very dangerous thought

me mum and i were just at the nursing home yesterday giving some flowers to the place- its just horrible to think that those people could just be killed on the spot, starved or shot or something else horrible.
We are living in a culture of death people

death has been so rosied up nowadays its disgusting

KharmaDog
HOLY CRAP

you think she died 15 years ago? thats a very dangerous thought

me mum and i were just at the nursing home yesterday giving some flowers to the place- its just horrible to think that those people could just be killed on the spot, starved or shot or something else horrible.
We are living in a culture of death people

death has been so rosied up nowadays its disgusting

It's not like people are now going around wanting to euthanise anyone lying in a hospital bed. Take a deep breath and get some perspective.

Echuu
well its not too far off

the first major case is always the hardest and most controvercial; same in the case of abortion; but after that it gets easier and easier

Cosmic_Beings
It's insane how much publicity and attention this ordeal has attracted, yet such things happen all the time in seclusion.

KidRock
in 1 month no one will even remember her name except her family.

KharmaDog
well its not too far off

the first major case is always the hardest and most controvercial; same in the case of abortion; but after that it gets easier and easier

This is not the first case, this happens every day, many times a day. The press and congress just decided to jump all over this particular case. This had hardly anything to do with Schiavo and more to do with headlines and political positioning.

And as for your comment about it getting easier and easier, try telling that to the families of the people who they decide to pull the plug on, I'm sure it is not easy for them. At some point you have to look at the quality of life of the person and of the people that have to live with the situation.

Often people are kept alive when they have no chance of recovery because of the inability of the family to accept what's happened. It's sad that they prolong the inevitable and very selfish. The press, the government, her family and her family's lawyers did all that they could to let Terry Schiavo die with as little dignity as possible.

R0B
Why was so much attention and ordeal brought to one issue with a normal human beings life? I mean a lot of people have been in the same situation or worse and they didnt get loads of attention

Beast_Within
so, terri finnaly died eh? sad

o well stick out tongue

Afro Cheese
I feel bad for her family and everything but I think it's a good thing she died. Now the family can move on and stop holding onto the pointless hope of some sort of medical miracle. Besides, now the President and Congress can get back to more important matters, like stopping gays from being happy.
Originally posted by Linkalicious
Care to elaborate on what happened in this episode of South Park?

I didn't get to TiVo it. sad It'll be on again on saturday. Pretty much kenny died and then was revived but was braindead so he was in the same situation as Terry Schiavo.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
now the President and Congress can get back to more important matters, like stopping gays from being happy.

How true. Also they can get back to really important isues like baseball. It's not like they're invovled in a war or anything.

Echuu
laughing baseball

soccer stick out tongue

oh and golf big grin

KidRock
Originally posted by KharmaDog
How true. Also they can get back to really important isues like baseball. It's not like they're invovled in a war or anything.

yeah its president bush's fault she died roll eyes (sarcastic) please stay in canada and keep quiet in your cave.

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by KidRock
yeah its president bush's fault she died roll eyes (sarcastic) please stay in canada and keep quiet in your cave. That wasn't the point. Nobody said that it was the president's fault she died, just saying that he was on tv addressing the issue and the congress and everyone got involved.. this was a personal issue and they turned it into a national one.

speiderman
If you were in a vegeatative state would you want to live?

I sure as heck would not want to live any longer.

finti
yeah like it aint more pressing issue that ought to be covered around the world, it is totally the fault of the media, doing their job? they are people not vultures, so out of respect of the dignity of the poor woman they could have the story as a footnote, not breaking news main event. Here in Norway the media got a beating for using to much time on this case, frankly people got mad called in complaining that what makes this american womans life worth all the attention rather than mayby focus a bot more on the situation for many people around the world, people who are in desperate need for aid. CNN makes me sick

Capt_Fantastic
I smell republicans being insulted all over the place. Too bad this issue goes way beyond party lines. AND, too bad that people on both sides of the issue can't comprehend that point. Like Rush said, this is a case of liberal, who lost the elections...sticking it to republicans who won them.

I, personally would put down every retarded person. But, I'm extreme in this point of view...and the best part is thatwe don't live in Nazi Germany. I think this chick shold have been unplugged a long tima ago. The fact that she lived so long without food and water would represent that she wasn't being "kept alive". BUT! she was beyond hep. In my position, I would want to die.

Imperial_Samura
I think its a sad case, but then I think a person should be allowed to go if there is no chance of recovery, or if they wish to die under specific circumstances. Perhaps this will open serious debate on Euthanasia, as one of the major rants about this was "how cruel it is to let her starve to death". If the option of Euthanasia was available it would be painless and quick, peacefully done in moments.

Jackie Malfoy
sad Terry Schiavo may she rest in peace.May god have mercy on our souls!jmrip

SlipknoT
I sure could go for a milkshake right about now

Beast_Within
Originally posted by SlipknoT
I sure could go for a milkshake right about now gives slip a milkshake*

SlipknoT
Thanks man

Beast_Within
np wink

KharmaDog
yeah its president bush's fault she died roll eyes (sarcastic) please stay in canada and keep quiet in your cave.

Do you ever actually read anything before you respond, or do you just blurt out whatever comes to that retarded brain of yours?

Imperial_Samura
He can read? Oh My GOD, I never knew. eek! (hehe, just joking)

ragesRemorse
who died?

Deano
http://www.rense.com/1.imagesG/terridying2.jpg

Mainstream
she's in a better place now...touched

ragesRemorse
Dude, there is no way that was the longest torture in american history. Atleast she got famous.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Dude, there is no way that was the longest torture in american history. Atleast she got famous.

Contrary to what current pop culture tends to lead us to believe, many people don't care to become famous.

Clovie
i think that was wrong.
all the medical stuff she had was this feeding thing, and she died coz of hunger. that's sad.

BasketCase
I agree, they should of done it some other way then starvation. its sad.

Imperial_Samura
Starving is not a good way to die, regardless of your state, which is why there should have been the avenue of Euthanasia in place.

liltiggasmootay
what i don't understand is, its against the law to starve an animal...animal control would jump in right away. People
get put away for animal cruelty. But u can starve a human to death, get away with it because she said she would want to die if that happened to her....(and they don't even have proof of that) Like if she really wanted to die give her a needle or something and make it quick, don't let her suffer for 13 days.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by liltiggasmootay
what i don't understand is, its against the law to starve an animal...animal control would jump in right away. People
get put away for animal cruelty. But u can starve a human to death, get away with it because she said she would want to die if that happened to her....(and they don't even have proof of that) Like if she really wanted to die give her a needle or something and make it quick, don't let her suffer for 13 days.

While the means (starvation) and the result (death) are the same, the cases you describe are fundamentally different; It is one thing to starve an animal to death against its will. It is another to discontinue sustaining one's life through artificial means in accordance with his or her wishes.

In the case of Terri Schiavo, you may not feel that there was adequate proof that she would not like to be kept alive by artificial means but 27 courts did.

SlipknoT
Could she feel pain?

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Could she feel pain?

An individual in a persistent vegetative state is similair to an in individual in a comatose state; he cannot think, feel, or even dream.

SlipknoT
That would be horrible, Good thing the "pulled the plug"

ms_erupt
Well, Terri is dead. And, all I have to say is that now she can finally rest in peace. It's terrible that this woman was turned into a spectacle and exploited by people on both sides of the issue.

As for my own stance, politically, I cannot believe that Congress actually tried to step in. It's scary how our rights are just slipping away and no one's doing anything about it. And, if the courts ruled in the husband's favor numerous times then so be it.

Morally, I also would have fought to get the plugged pulled. Now, I'm not trying to say that her parents didn't love her, but I think they were thinking more about they're own grief at seeing her go (and clutching and straws I might add) than they were about her. And, for all they're ranting about "God's will" and what not, if it were "God's will" for her to live, why would she have suffered obviously irreversible brain damage in the first place?

minwoo4ever
As you all know, Terri Schreiber died a few days ago. I was wondering what some people thought about the topic. I think it was really sad how they just left her to die without food or water for 12 days. sad I guess its better for her now since she doesn't have to suffer. If she had gone on living then she wouldn't have been able to do anything, just sit in the hospital bed, not being able to move. Still, I think it was horrible how they just starved her to death. What do you think they should have done? Keep her alive, or put her to sleep? And also, what are your thoughts on her death?

Afro Cheese
We already have a thread on this, and that was Terry Schiavo. But Terry Schreiber sounds familiar.. is that the name of another famous person or something?

lil bitchiness
Yeah, merging.

Darth Revan
It's hardly accurate to say they "put her to death." More like letting her die. Besides which, she wasn't even aware of anything. Her brain was almost completely dead. It's quite arrogant of all these religious people to want to keep somebody like that alive simply because they believe it's "immoral" to let her die.

KidRock
Well I hope terri rests in.. wait wait the POPE died?!

*runs to watch the news and forget about this thread and woman*

BlackC@t
I'd rather die then be a vegetable.

DCLXVI
BlackC@t> Exactly.
I wish everybody in the world who is currently condemning these people were truly able to make that decision.
Would you want to live for 20 more years, lying in a bed, catching pneumonia constantly, $hitting and pi$$ing yourself all the while? Body lice crawling all over you, being fed with a feeding tube.
I've seen someone, a dear friend of mine, go through that pain. It wasn't worth it. 15 years after the fact, his parents finally let the Hospital let his body undergo the procedure....starving itself to death.
He felt no pain, because his body seized up and his brain shut down. For 15 years, he lived in a Hospital bed, lying there, staring blankly at the ceiling. I felt ashamed of his family each time I went to see him....I felt like pulling the plug on him every time, doing a mercy killing: No Human Being should be made to live like that....
Starving and letting a Human's Brain shut down is more Humane than letting them live a life in their own pi$$.....

Velcro_Boy
If there was a chance of her coming back to living a normal life then they should have kept her alive. But if she had no hope then the should at least give her a lethal injection so she could have a quick death instaed of a "peaceful" death of starvation and dehydration.

SlipknoT
Well I hope terri rests in.. wait wait the POPE died?!

*runs to watch the news and forget about this thread and woman* laughing

Cosmic_Beings
lol

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>