AOTC - Longest SW Film To Date

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Emperor Helmet
AOTC Running Time

The running time of EP2 is being reported by Wroclaw's Ster Century Cinemaat at 142 minutes, making it the longest Star Wars movie to date. Below are the 5 Star Wars movies and their running time.

Episode I - 133 minutes
Episode II - 142 minutes
Episode IV - 125 minutes
Episode V - 129 minutes
Episode VI - 136 minutes

He-Man
Nice. It still should be longer though.

queeq
I hope it works. EpI could have been a bit shorter for me.

ToMacco
Is this true?

He-Man
I hope so.

yerssot
For TPM; less pod more action

Emperor Helmet
I thought the added scenes to the pod race on the dvd made it better.

yerssot
there were a few things that made it better, but a lot of it was useless

LanceWindu
I liked the adding of more scenes to the lap 2 sequence, but the whole introducing us to other pods was way too long. I also wish they had made the duel of the fates longer.

yerssot
I still hope someone can place all the scenes from DOTF next to each other so you have one big duel

LanceWindu
...instead of all that switching around.

mah
doesn't really matter how long it is, as long as it suits the film.

He-Man
It's a good way to make money by taking some parts of the movie out and then make a special edition a couple of years later, which includes those scenes. And after that comes the ultimate editon. George will be making money with episode 1 for 20 years that way. smile Good George...that's the way.

Ushgarak
GL seems to like the intercut fight technique that broke up the action in TPM- it happened in ROTJ as well.

The Yavin and Hoth battles were much better for actually being concentrated on.

LanceWindu
Yes much better.

I wish that GL would have also focused more on the Naboo fighter's at the DCS instead of just on Anakin. They could have made it all the more better by making it that way.

Ushgarak
I don;t mind it being split two ways- say, a sabre fight and a battle. But in TPM you had the Queen AND the Gungans AND the space battle AND the sabre fight! A directing nightmare.

I suspect the Geonosis battle will be much better.

LanceWindu
I'm sure it will be too.

Julie
I thought that the Phantom Menace was only about 2 hrs 8 min....are we also counting the credits......
BTW long is good big grin

LanceWindu
Long is only good if you have a story to go with it.

yerssot
1/3 is clone war I heared

DarthKris

yerssot
rumors, total BS since Ep III is still not made

Emperor Helmet
And in what way was this technique different from ROTJ?

Ushgarak
It wasn't, as I clearly said, so please read more carefully in future . It was bad in both films.

Emperor Helmet
It wasn't clearly stated in that post. ROTJ went back and forth to 3 different battles, just as TPM did.

Ushgarak
It was clearly stated several posts before when I started discussing the topic.

Read before you post, Helmet.

Emperor Helmet
It isn't a directing nightmare. Think before you post.

The Gungan battle was all cg, what directing did Lucas have to do. He never said action or cut in that sequence or the space battle. Maybe an editing challenge, but certainly not a directing nightmare.

Ushgarak
Yes it is. George Lucas' digitial editing of the film after the event is retroactive directing, as is talked about on the TPM DVD. As director, GL had the ultimate responsbility for the way these events were shown.

I am thinking just fine, Helmet. You, on the other hand, need to be a bit more careful with posting in future.

Emperor Helmet
It is all layed out on storyboards. It isn't that difficult. You are trying to make something out of nothing.

finti
and you are not??????????

Emperor Helmet
No, I'm not. It was your comment.

How exactly was he not going to have all of those things going on at once. He wrote it that way, it isn't like it was a surprise to him along the way.

Ushgarak
I don't believe I am. The way those sequences were put together was nowhere near as effective as the way the battle sequences in the first two films were handled. These things NEED concentration, not to be split.

In TPM, the split is increasingly pointless because two of the fights were not even necessary. Amidala's attempt to capture the Viceroy was entirely pointless because once the control ship was destroyed he would have been defenceless. That whole capture attempt could have been dropped.

And the sabre fight had no relevance to the main battle either. That could have happened AFTER the battle, and been coincentrated on.

AOTC is different. All the fighting in it will seem far more continuous, from what I can tell.

Emperor Helmet
What 2 battles were pointless. The main battle, the space battle that ends the main battle. The capture of the bad guy, or the duel?

You can't have them shown separately from beginning to end, because they are all going on at once. Do you not realize this.

You do realize that all 4 of these sequences have major impacts on AOTC, right? Or haven't you thought about it.

finti
he answered that

Ushgarak
Yes, Helmet, I HAVE thought about it while you, AGAIN did not even read my post properly!

Emperor Helmet
In case you didn't know, the capture of the Viceroy leads to the Nute's planned assasination attempts in AOTC. So yes, that part of TPM was important. Any more ridiculous comments.

finti
that is your department

Ushgarak
She STILL would have captured him, you twerp! Just the whole fight leading up to it was a waste of time! Gee! READ what I say! I said he would have been left defenceless!

Emperor Helmet
How would she have captured him if she never went after him. Them going to get the Viceroy was the most important part of the battle. Everything else was a diversion.

Understand, twerp?

Ushgarak
Jesus! You really ARE dense! With his whole army disabled, what could he have POSSIBLY done? They would have just walked up to him and he would have had no choice other than to surrender.

Filmatically speaking, adding this extra, pointless battle scene to the end of TPM was a waste of time.

Emperor Helmet
Escape on his ship. What exactly were they going to capture him with?

finti
and his ship wouldnt be guarded at all roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
Indeed. And why would he even attempt to escape? He wouldn't have had the slightest inkling there was a problem. He was utterly confident of success and the indestructibility of the control ship.

Emperor Helmet
Guarded by who?

Ushgarak
And even if it wasn't guarded, with no fighters to protect him after the DCS was destroyed he still could not escape.

There were only two important battles- the ground battle, which distracted the TF army so the Naboo pilots could get to their ships, and the space battle that finished the Federation's invasion.

The sabre battle was important in its OWN way, but not vital to the battle and so could have been conducted seperately.

Amidala's kidnap attack is certainly the most expendable.

Emperor Helmet
They wouldn't have know where he was. You are aware that the battle was very far from the palace, right?

Were the Gungans going to jump into hyperspace to capture the Viceroy before he just walked out of the building. No one was near the palace except, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Padme's 10 or so guys.

Ushgarak
Helmet, the hangar would still have been occupied by the Naboo forces! They needed to capture it to get their ships! The Viceroy could NOT have gotten to his ship, and even if he could he could NOT have escaped!

Emperor Helmet
What Naboo Forces? That was the whole point of Padme needing the Gungans.

finti
Nabbo royal guards

Ushgarak
Indeedy. You know, the people that actually DID capture the hangar?

Emperor Helmet
You mean the security guards that wouldn't have been there had Padme not gone to capture the Viceroy.

Ushgarak
Yes they WOULD have been there. They would have been there to capture the hangar, or the space battle would not have happened.

Emperor Helmet
The reason whe they were at the hangar was because they went to capture the Viceroy and the rest went into the space battle. There weren't any just hanging out, not to mention they would have been killed had they just waited around.

To compare them to soldiers:

They were basicly like mall security guards compared to Green Beret's

Ushgarak
But that just brings us full circle. In my opinion, the soliders there moving on to capture the Viceroy was a waste of time both plot-wise and filmmaking wise. They should have captured the hangar to get the ships and just left it there.

Emperor Helmet
That would have been smart. laughing out loud That way Nute could just have left from a different exit. You do know how big that place is, right?

Thank god you aren't in charge of my state police force.

Ushgarak
But WHY would he leave? You still haven't answered that. And this is assuming they would be stupid enough not to cover all the exits of the palace.

The point is, he was screwed as soon as the DCS blew up. A seperate kidnap was not necessary.

Emperor Helmet
He was captured before the droid ship was blown up, so you don't really know he wouldn't have left.

Ushgarak
Give me a reason why he would have done.

finti
Well the security guards at our local malls sure as hell know what they are doing. And given a gun anyone can be lethal

LanceWindu
Yeah in the news here in Tennessee not too long ago a three year old kid picked up his dad's (who was a cop) gun and was playing cops and robbers. He 'acted' like he was shooting at his dad and accidentally pulled the trigger and killed his father instantly.

Emperor Helmet
That is what I call bad parenting

finti
well they paid for it though

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.