Low crime societies - Japan and Switzerland.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
As you might know, or dont know, Japan and Switzerland have one of the lowest crime rates in the world, yet for most of Britain's legal system what we are doing is implementing American way of justice.

Why is this?

Japan for example is very conformed. In contrast with the Japanese, Westerners have idealized the concept of the independent individual, while or Japanese it is the ''society'' and ''collectivness''

In another words there is much conformity in Japan, as well as Switzerland. The concept of ''us'' is much more valued than the concept of ''I'' which is present in many western cultures.
The concept of family is really important.

For example, in Japan threatening your child wouldnt be ''curfu'' but expulsion from the family. There is still strong sense of family and honour - again, more of a ''we'' than ''I''

As a result, Japan has a very low crime rate. (alongside other factors of course)

So, the question that interests me here is, should the western world follow this pattern? Should we be more conformed and as a result have less crime?
Should we re-introduce the importance of ''we'' as opposed to the importance of just ''me'' and with that try and get those family and community values which west lacks - a lot in fact.

It is the question of making west Communitizated, ie. bring back that sense of comunity west lacks? (note - Communitization is not the same as communism!!!!)

Discuss.

LanİeWindu™
I wanna live in Switzerland...that's where all the money launderers put their money, so the banks in Swiss must be loaded!

pr1983
While i do agree that the amount of crime is a worry, and that moral standards are slipping somewhat with a lot of people, i'm not sure if giving up the things that make life worth living is the best way to go about it...

Asia is steeped in tradition (including Japan), a lot moreso than Europe and North America, but that is not always neccessarily a good thing... Such strict guidelines can be a hindrance to most, especially people who would still value their individuality... Diversity is a good thing imo...

I agree something needs to be done, but reverting to a 'we' society is not the answer imo...

Ushgarak
Geez, you really think those are the main reasons for the apparent low Japanese crime rate?

Prove it! I have seen a heck of a lot of work saying it is their unbound and massively over-aggressive police force that does it.

I think the last thing any Western country wants to do is to try and adopt a Japanese model of legal policy.

BackFire
It's because Japanese people don't have souls, which south park confirmed this week stick out tongue

pr1983
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I have seen a heck of a lot of work saying it is their unbound and massively over-aggressive police force that does it.

that is a huge factor also...

KidRock
America is a land of immigrants(or so they say) so its all the immigrants fault that america has a high crime rate.

WindDancer
The reason you don't see much crime in Japan is because most of the criminal world is control by the local Yakuza's. Since there are different organized Yakuza's all over Japan and because of their traditional honor/respect for each other there is no gangwarfare. Thus crime is mininal. As for Switzerland? I dunno....I really don't know.

SlipknoT
Originally posted by KidRock
America is a land of immigrants(or so they say) so its all the immigrants fault that america has a high crime rate. no expression

Ushgarak
I still think their virtually facistic legal system is the main reason

Just to make clear- there is no Jury system in Japan, and the chance of a defendant being acquitted is less than one percent.

lil bitchiness

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Prove it! I have seen a heck of a lot of work saying it is their unbound and massively over-aggressive police force that does it.

Oh have you now?!

Oh please enlighten me with the book name chapter and an author and I shall look it up!

I have done the same for you above!!

Alpha Centauri
England is just as steeped in tradition as Japan, it's just not as acknowledged and lived by.

I'd much rather living in a world where I've more chance and acceptance to be individual than one where I'm not.

Yeah, the crime rate is higher but that accounts for other people, is nothing to do with me. As it should be. Japan feel like they have to all represent their country with the way they act, hence why the policing is so aggressive. I'm not responsible for others and I'm not gonna dull my life down just to represent land.

-AC

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
hence why the policing is so aggressive. I'm not responsible for others and I'm not gonna dull my life down just to represent land.

Policing?

Have you read the abstract I posted few posts up?

Alpha Centauri
Yes, I did.

I also noted the '1999' at the bottom.

-AC

Jackie Malfoy
They had always had been poor have it they?jm

manny321
maybe its because there are few guns unlike the north America, which is gun friendly at least ! "open a bank account and get a free rifle" That was so funny from bowling from Columbine!

lil bitchiness

lil bitchiness

lil bitchiness
Yes, I did.

I also noted the '1999' at the bottom.

-AC ??? I dont get what does 1999 have to do with it?

How much do you know about Japanese culture, and if a lot, then I challange you to provide me with evidence of sagnificant Japanese culture shift from 1999 to 2005.

Alpha Centauri
Well, as years pass...things change, as they have a habit of doing.

I haven't actually visited Japan but my brother does so, regularly. From the home video and the photos, it seemed a bit OTT that cops in riot gear were policing the streets. I asked him if anything went down and he said they employed a Zero Tolerance policy, in schools also. They were regular cops on patrol.

If they wasn't so in 99, then clearly things have changed. If they've changed back...then by all means continue.

-AC

Imaginary
America is a land of immigrants(or so they say) so its all the immigrants fault that america has a high crime rate.

How ignorant can you be?

SlipknoT
Well, as years pass...things change, as they have a habit of doing.

I haven't actually visited Japan but my brother does so, regularly. From the home video and the photos, it seemed a bit OTT that cops in riot gear were policing the streets. I asked him if anything went down and he said they employed a Zero Tolerance policy, in schools also. They were regular cops on patrol.

If they wasn't so in 99, then clearly things have changed. If they've changed back...then by all means continue.

-AC I'd hate to live there.

manny321
No the blame should be on guns who are given to people who aren't fit to fire a BB gun. I am not referring to everybody but some people will shot on spot if you go on their property(even if you ask for directions). However the whole US is not like that, but jeesh there some crazies in Kansas! (as i learned). I think crime is higher in the US then i have seen in other Western countries.

Linkalicious
I'd like to see some information about the cultural diversity of both countries as well as the gap difference between poor and rich...

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm fairly sure you'll find the difference between these two countries and most "western" countries to be quite significant.

finti
numbers from 1972 have no relevance today

Ou Be Low hoo
I've been to Japan and I have a few Japanese friends. As a collective, Japanese people have a strong sense of national identity and respect for tradition. The nature of this history is steeped in public formality and the severe dislike of disruption. A common response to an angry individual in Japan is to laugh, perhaps as a way of diffusing the situation, but it can also be seen as an illustration of how rare acts of anger are, to the point that it causes confusion.

Also, the nature of Japanese people can be observed through their language. Japanese is notoriorsly difficult to learn because it is so dramatically different depending on the status of the person you are conversing with. Different situations require different words and sentence patterns...friends, family, bosses, elders. etc all require the speaker to use specific vocabulary words and sentence structures.

These linguistic, cultural and emotional traditions are what, I believe, are responsible for the low crime-rate.

As for the Swiss, they are good bankers, make good cheese and something, something...

IceWithin

laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.