donnie darko

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ms_saigon
Can anyone please explain to me what the whole time warp/hole/travel thing is all about? I was very confused by it. Did he go through one of these openings and change the past or what?

Tex
This might help wink
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/board/nest/646623

ms_saigon
OMG, thank you so much. I had to read it 5 times, but the fog in my brain has finally lifted. It was so sad.

Tex
Your welcome ms saigon smile

BackFire349
thats an awesome movie.

Tex
I think I'm gonna rent it! smile

finti
giant evil rabbit????? laughing out loud laughing out loud

BackFire349
its not a rabit, its a vision he has of someone in a rabit costume, if you watch it it makes alot of sense. sounds dumb by hearing it though.

finti
saw the trailer for it, guess I rent it on dvd when it comes,.....maybe.

Tex
Was it an Indie film?
Cause I never heard about it 'till Ms. Saigon brought it up.

mook
so whos seen donnie darko?
and who fully understands it? confused

ive watched it twice and gone thru the website (which id definitely recommend if youve seen the film) and think i get it.

am i right in thinking that at the end donnie goes back thru time so he dies in order that his girlfriend will live?

and whats with the guy whos designed his own frank suit who you see at the end?

mook
www.donniedarko.com

also http://www.synchronicityarkive.com/display.php?view=381

total metalhead
you gotta watch the film at least 3 times to get everything out of it yes

btw i love Donnie Darko. one of my all time favorite movies.

BackFire
It's one of those movies that's open to inturpritation.

mook
yeah ive only seen it twice- so i think i might go thru the website again and then watch the film again.

i think i know whats going on tho...

forumcrew
ive seen it and loved it.. it is open to inturpritation but its very explained to just not well. with the dvd they have the pamphlet on time travel that roberta sparrow (grandma death) wrote.. that helps

Placebo_fan
Okay...second thread. smile I want to see Donnie Darko because it oks great, but I'd rather know what it's about first. Can anyone tell me? Plus, feel free to chat here, if you want. I don't care. Has anyone seen it? Rate it too if you like. BYEEE!!!!... eek! Happy Dance eek!

total metalhead
well this is gonna get moved for sure...

but DD is one of my fave ever movies. its so weird and twisty is great. its about time travel, but its got loads of sub-themes, but everyone gets something different out of it, you gotta watch it for yourself to know what its really about yes

Linkalicious
i thought Donnie Darko was about a misled teenager who follows this bunny rabbit around and does some screwed up stuff. I saw it on one of the HBO's yesterday...but i didn't have time to sit down and watch it. My friend swore to me that it was a really good movie, so i'd recommend watching it if you had the time.

mechmoggy
Moving...

burlyman
its great smile

andyF1
i liked it alot but dont know why bunny

mook
Placebo_fan>I want to see Donnie Darko because it oks great, but I'd rather know what it's about first. Can anyone tell me? Plus, feel free to chat here, if you want. I don't care. Has anyone seen it? Rate it too if you like.

I recommend watching the film --> go thru the website --> re-watch the film.

(dont go to the website 1st tho)

lil tears
Darko is a screwed up teenager. A bright teenager but screwed up. The smart ones know too much for their own good. They get sad pretty easily since they can't see the world as simply as others. "Fear or Love"? So throughout the flick, Darko sees a guy in a rabbit suit telling him to do violently anti-social things. So we start to write these visions off as delusions from a warped mind. But then the concept of time travel is introduced. Could the rabbit be from Darko's future? Is he trying to help him or hurt him? This is (obviously) the mystery to solve.

thats from imdb.com big grin
I love this movie, it's darka dn twisted but very well done big grin
Reminds me of Tim Burton work but isn't big grin

mary_darko
philosophy of time travel

Placebo_fan
Thanx guys. I've seen the film too now coz i rented the DVD. It's really good. The most original thing I've seen in months. Donnie Darko is my recomedation to anyone who likes psychological horrors, or just downright twisted stories.

Darth Revan
It's weird and creepy but I liked it yes and I like the song they play at the end

Placebo_fan
Mad World? I know it's a lovely song... Creepy, but in a good way.

andyF1
it was originally done by tears for fears back in 1982, gary jules recorded it for this movie. Their was a big campaign on the radio before xmas to get it to number one, and it did. In England

Placebo_fan
The Gary Jules version is better.

nightcrawer89
i just watched the movie donnie darko and i loved it i would have to say th best parts of the movie is when you see frank the rabbit.i think this movie is a great motion picture and one of the freakyest movies i have seen in years. when you take a look a frank the rabbit it just shocks you like you have seen a deid relative walk from the grave.it is scary in a sence that it is all in donnie head but it is a warning to pervent a future to become.that is why donnies dies to pervent a future from happening.
eeksly

Jamief90
Can I have some of what you were on when you watched it?

nightcrawer89
i was not on anything.

Jamief90
Its just i'm sure on a scale of 1 - 10, for most people seeing Frank was about 1 and seeing a dead relative walk from the grave would be some where in the region of 12

el_barto
i like it, it was cool

nightcrawer89
so did i

Line
Thanks for the websites, Mook. I've seen it loads of times now, and still find it hard to fully understand every detail. Yes, Donnie does go through some kind of time travel, real or imaginary, but there's so much more to it. Have you made any other observations/interpretations?

silentfaf
Read this website i think it explain the majority of what hapens in the film here http://www.tonystuff.co.uk/darko-spoilers.htm

shaber
I understnad the incomprehensible theme with the plane engine And to assume the existence of ghosts and fate pfft wacko

Kes
Man, I saw this movie like 2 days ago...cant stop thinking about it! Really cool, really liked it. Ace, greate story. So rich!
Did you know it was shot in 28 days?! LOL

ElectricBugaloo
it's a favorite of pretentious people

mook
not really - i just think the more you see it the more you notice/think/understand etc.

mook
explain what you mean

pretentious;
1.Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.

2.Making or marked by an extravagant outward show; ostentatious

Kes
Well arent you full off yourself!

BackFire
Ridiculous statement, care to explain?

<<Solo>>
Aww... Man I love this movie. Great Movie. They could've done the cover of the DvD could've been a lot better.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005V3Z4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

forumcrew
DD may be coming to a theater near you! they are planning on release the directors cut in theaters.. www.comingsoon.net article is in the new headlines there

Wolfie
This movie is so great! I really hope they make the Director's Cut.

eleveninches
I loved that movie big grin

Devalion
Great movie!

silver_tears
I have it on dvd cool bought it brand new at HMV for the low price of 10 bucks eek!

Frank gives me the creaps though messed he's not something I ever wanna see in a dark alley no expression

Arahael
Has anybody seen this movie besides me? It's one of my favorites because it has so many deeper meanings. Let me know if anyone else likes it or has seen it as well. big grin

Aku
hell yeah Donnie Darko rocks, but the guy whos supposed to be a bully looks like a complete idiot plus the fact that the story is based around a guy with one eye dressed up in a silver rabbit suit and this guy donnie calls his mum a bi*ch and sees clear stuff comming out of people in order to talk to that dude from ER about theories based on, if ya go faster than the speed of light you go back in time.

So i didnt really understand it but i enjoyed it all the same.

Arahael
You actually have to watch it more than onece in order to understand the underlying meaning of the general plot.

PurityKnight
....I still haven't figured out what's it all about. confused

Arahael
Donnie has to die in the end so he can save people.

Aku
Well im a guy so i have difficulty understanding why pizza is shaped in a circle let alone about pschotic silver bunny rabbits with one eye and time travel.

Arahael
I so want the bunny mask from that movie!

PurityKnight
...yeah, I know its about time travel.......but besides that What the f**k?

forumcrew
great movie but see this.. theres already a thread about it

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f2/t21697.html

Arahael
Sorry, but thi splace has so many threads and such I didn't realize.

Arahael
God I love this movie. I've watched it like 20 times!!!!!!!!!!

forumcrew
yep its awesome cant wait to see the directors cut.. hopefully in a theater near me

Red Superfly
I too love this movie. It's a total headf**k but it's definitely great when you have so many ideas.

It does wonders for the imagination, but that's if you have any to begin with. If you have no imagination, you'll probably hate it. You need to free your mind, I guess.

Also - I thought that Butterfly Effect was very Donnie Darko, but it was more for people who needed to know what exactly was going on. Still, both movies were great.

SirBrandon
donnie darko is a masterpeice i've watched it countless times and it's still going strong
it better get a rerelease in the uk

eleveninches
The ending is rather predicatable though. After knowing that they cant find the plane registration number, and as soon as you see his mom and sister in the plane, and a storm hits, you know exactly what's going to happen.

Arahael
The ending is supposed to be predictable. That's the pretense of the movie

<<Solo>>
I just heard about this and I was pretty excited untill I heard it's only coming out to select cities, but I'll buy it on DVD. Anyone hear about this, going to see this?

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/newmarket/donnie_darko__director_s_cut/donniedarkodirectorscut_poster.jpg
Sorry I couldn't get a close up on it.
Comes out to theatres:June 2, 2004 Seattle; July 23, 2004 Limited.

im not burlyman
big grin yeah I heard about this.. made me realise why the DVD was so cheap, maybe I should have waited embarrasment

BackFire
Oh wow, that's pretty sweet.

mah
Extended scenes, doesn't really do much for me. The original cut was 100% PERFECT. The timing and speed of which the movie moved forward was sublime. But I'm sure this is as good, and the big thing is WE GET TO SEE IT IN THE THEATERS!!! Weee, the first time it made more or less no money in the theaters, but then big money on the dvd, now more people get to see it on the big screen.

Vengeance
what are u people on that movie was retarted it made no scence and it was as i said stupid. And if u dont think so think about the ending like realy. A 6 FOOT STUPID LOOKING RABBIT.

im not burlyman
Right. Maybe I could point you in the direction of Rush Hour 2

forumcrew
you are calling the movie stupid, yet you couldnt understand it.. whos the intelligent one here? You do know that was NOT a real rabbit.. but a suit dont you? People like it becuase its different it makes you think a little.. about the movie and just about life rather then watching crappy writting and poor action like 90% of films out there.. thats why they refer to this as a "cult hit" and not a block buster.. a smaller more appreciative audience enjoys films like this rather then films like fast and the furious

el barto
yes My words exactly yes

Vengeance
dude hate to hurt you but yes i no the bunny was fake and not real but im just saying stupid idea for a stupid movie, i have actually seen better crap come out of my ass. like realy if i dont get it forgive me but i dont think to much on gay f'ing movie that i couldn't give half a rats ass about. so fill me in how good and what sence does a plaine landing on him in a house make?

<<Solo>>
Lol man your making yourself look good wink .

1. It wasn't a plain it was a jet engine.
2. If you'd rather watch some of your favorite movies: Underworld and Van Helsing then Donnie Darko, I really do think you have no taste.

Vengeance
Well im sorry its been awhile since i have seen or slept through the movie, all i remember was it was something off a plain (still stupid ending) and yea its not in my taste(and those arn't my fav movie i liked them i just didn't no what to actually but up on my profile)

<<Solo>>
That's what evertbody says when I insult their favorite movies. And I really do think you have an IQ below 30 because I think you didn't even understand the ending.

Vengeance
lol oh no not a stupid joke, god what are u in kindergarden(well i guess your a little 16 year boy so u just might be). well whatever, u tell me whats there to understand abouta boy being crushed by a plaine engine. oh and im serious those actually arnt my fav movie, my fav movie would prolly be night at the roxbarry

Cinemaddiction
The premise of Donnie Darko is the mysteries of time travel. I'll explain, but I will have to throw it in spoiler tags for those who have yet to see the movie.

The movie opens up with the jet engine plummeting to land, and through Donnie's bedroom. He wasn't there, and from that I gathered that it was Frank, whom he had yet to meet, who saved his life by subconsciously having him sleepwalk through the golf course.

Throughout the movie, Donnie, in addition to his own anyalysis of time travel witnesses and has it explained through Frank. Frank tells him that he has a little more than 28 days until he is faced with the exact same situation again, at which time he can decide to keep living his miserable life, or end it all.

Donnie develops a relationship with Frank, the time traveler, and understands that Frank his given him a second chance to re-evaluate his life.

It's alot like a dark version of "A Christmas Carol", only being set on Halloween, and this time, the person actually chooses to die, instead of change his ways for the betterment of himself and everyone else.

I understand alot of this may be over everyones heads, but it's the most basic explanation I can give of what is otherwise a rather deep and psychologically mind numbing movie.

Vengeance
well ok then, then this movie is even more stupid to me then brfore. sounds like crap on toast. but whatever if you guys like it go ahead but i guess one guy said it the best it just far out of my taste. so go on have fun watching this movie. i just watch a better one.lol

Cinemaddiction
Is that your rebuttal for everything? If a movie is too complex for you to grasp, it's crap?

You're making even less sense in this thread than in the Scary Movie.

Vengeance
lol w/e man i dont make sence but you think the movie hole sucsess i delt with one actor in a scary movie film O.K. well its not like this movie is that complex, like i totaly understand your spoiler or what you wanna call it. but it just sounds like a stupi movie i like more funny realistic kinda things, but sometimes i do like a sci fi movie. but not one with the stupidist story line. like realy i hate when the main char dies. cant stand them. sick

Cinemaddiction
Let me make this abundantly clear, to where it will make SENSE to you. S-E-N-S-E.

David Zucker is not an actor, he is a DIRECTOR!

A solid reason people went back to see "Scary Movie 3", given the failure of the 2nd movie, is because they read that Zucker was behind the project, and noticed that his staples, being Leslie Nielsen and Charlie Sheen, were in the movie.

Is what I am saying really that far fetched when it comes to explaining the resurrgence of an otherwise failure of a novelty movie franchise? I sure as hell don't think so.

I understand what you are saying about "Donnie Darko", and that's absolutely fine.

Vengeance
sorry that i spell like crap that i could care less about. but i thank you for your understanding for donnie. but now that you say that he is a director, i still even more doubt that many people went just for a director. i never even heard they got a diff director.

Cinemaddiction
You mean to tell me that directors don't influences peoples decisions to see movies, either?

To die hard movie lovers, spoof especially, when people see Leslie Nielsen and Charlie Sheen in a movie together, it can mean only one thing. Also, I am sure that when people were reading the movie posters and looking at the trailers online, they took note of who directed the movie because both the Wayans Brothers were noticibly absent, which would atleast make ME wonder, "Well, I wonder who is directing this one?"

But, the first 2 "Scary Movie" flicks were for kids, kids who don't really care who directs the movie as long as there is sex, drugs, and stupid humor. So, I can udnerstand where they may overlook whos directing the newest one.

The Wayans being gone, I doubt 1/2 the people that actually saw the first 2 went to see 3, much less liked it, without them in it.

Vengeance
well shit man, i seriously no that out of alot of people i no and they no, none realy say oh amn we better see this movie becuase of this direcctor. i more or less look at the actors.

Cinemaddiction
Fair to say you miss a shitload of movies, and you definately aren't a fan of independent cinema.

Vengeance
well your right on im not a fan on independent cinema. but i dont just wanna risk spending money on a film that was good story just the worst actors. thats why i like to stay with my good ones i no do good movies.

Ketchup
I personally loved Donnie Darko, and I realize it is showy and what not, but not pretentious. BTW, Vengeance, if you want to be taken seriously, try correct spelling, correct grammar, and for God's sake, proper capitalization.

Fan on indie?

Vengeance
lol really i odnt think plp will cry to much on my Capitalization. god no one has ever cared about that but what the hey. and i have yet to care about my spelling, plp still seem able to read my screwups.
but if it bother's u to much u could always.... KISS MY A$$

beccaluvsjames
you know in donnie darko at the end where the girl waves to donnies mum.well seen as she is made to forget evrithing why did she wave because you dont just wave a ta random person
sum1 please help me

mook
yeah i noticed that.
dont they both look at each other but neither knows why so the girl just waves.

Alec Cawthorne
What i thought after i watched it -

Donnie escapes death, messes with the order of things. He has a chance to put it right. While he's doing this he lives..he falls in love ( that's why subconciously he floods he school - if he doesn't flood the school then he doesn't walk home with Gretchen. It's also why he exposes Patrick Swayze's character - because he does this his mother has to go away, it leaves him and his sister to have a party and he can make love to Gretchen. ) Because of the partyGretchen dies..the guy in the rabbit suit is Frank.
Now Donnie knows that if he doesn't die in the house when the engine falls in - if order isn't restored - then Gretchen will die. I think that's why he laughs to him self in bed at the end...he's lived and fallen in love and he doesn't care what's coming next.
There are people there to help him through his ' journey ' . Noah Whyle, Drew Barrymore and the Old Woman are all there to help make sure Donnie gets through it...they are guardians. They weren't sure why they were there but they realise as soon as Donnie starts asking questions about time travel etc ( hence the conversation in the staffroom )
" Donnie Darko "
" I know ! "
If you listen to the soundtrack and the lyrics of songs at certain moments in the film they are very poignant..like when Noah Whyle and Drew Barrymore are introduced to Patrick Swayze.
I also thought there may be a link with Watership Down as Frank says " You know me, don't you ? " which is stright out of Watership and this was confirmed with the directors commentary on the DVD.

There's basically a lot going on in the film.

Sorry if that's a little confusing but i'm tired. I just made the mistake of watching Taking Lives...even Angelina couldn't save that for me.

nail_bunny
I love donnie darko. I have watched it a few times and I still dont fully understand it, but I love it none the less.

Goth_Girl
Any of u guys seen Donnie Darko?
If so did u like it ?

<<Solo>>
Well your new so, before you post a topic please use the search botton in the top right hand corner.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21697

Major Knight
yea more then any topic about this crappy movie is more then enough. thnnk u lol.

lil bitchiness
Please use existing Donnie Darko thread.

BlackC@t
Idiot! thanks for posting the ending! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Jheez! what is it with you people who always ruin the endings for other people?

forumcrew
did u not notice the title said spoilersS?

Linkalicious
apparently not.

Unless she likes to blatantly bash other members...

BlackC@t
It said 'Spoilers' not 'Contains ending.'

I'm okay with reading spoilers, but if somebodys posts the ending then that's something that pisses me off.

MC Mike
Explain to me the diffrence between "Information regarding a release of a movie that may allow the reader to know more about the movie than what is avaliable before seeing it." and the movie's ending? no expression

Major Knight
yea but it is expected in a page that says (spoiler) in the topic name lol.

MildPossession
Did that person even reply with why Donnie Darko is for pretentious people?

Mr Zero
Dont think so - so i shall kindly answer for them.

"I am used to watching films like the butterfly effect and thinking that is deep. When I see a film like Darko and nothing is explained to me as if I am a 5 year old - the ending is not happy - and nobody gets killed with a chainsaw/knife/glove with blades I feel cheated.

I assume the film was stupid - but when people talk about it as if they have been able to appreciate it on a level i missed, and the idea of concentrating for 2 hours gives me a nosebleed its easier just to say that the film is pretentious and that the people who like it are artsy-fartsy hippies."

BackFire
I reluctantly agree with Mr. Zero here.

Mr Zero
they are always reluctant at first, but then they gets to liking it.

Major Knight
i finally got to see the whole movie 2 weeks ago, and still i have nothing to see good in this film. i just cant seem to grasp y a few plp seem to love this movie, it just seems to be any other movie that has been made with a lower budget. but i thing i found funny is how does DD get the axe that deep in bronze statue, and not just that but he had no ladder yet got a nice shot at a 15 ' statue. lol, but a sad part about the movie is Drew Barrymore was a co producer lol.

ScorpioKitten
When they show Frank at the end of the movie they are trying to show that everything went back to normal, including Frank being alive again, because he had shot Frank (the guy who designed the suit) in the eye before he entered the wormhole, and they were just showing him afterwards too. Also if you noticed in the very beginning the car that drives by him on his was home from where he was asleep is Franks car. I didn't realize that at first.

Also I agree the website was awesome. The only problem is I didn't like how it ended at the end of level 3, I still was looking for more.

I really do think this is one of my favorite movies of all time.

MildPossession
Thank you Mr. Zero. smile

Telemicus
It's an awseome movie.
Went to see the Directors cut at the cinema the other day, what a let down..

Since when does Directors cut mean just add in all deleted scenes?
The original was cut tightly, now it's just over long and bloated.

Plus they added in extracts from the philosophy of timetravel in writing on the screen at the corresponding moments to try and help people understand.

What's the point of a puzzle if someone fills the answer in while your reading the question?

Saying all that, it's still worth watching....

ScorpioKitten
Donnie Darko is one of my favorite movies of all time, and the greatest part is that it only took 4 weeks to film. It was supposed to be released in theatres in October 2001, but since the jet engine smashes Donnie, and it was right after September 11th, it was never released until the Directors Cut. Now I didn't like the Directors cut as much as the normal movie that came out in 2001, it started off bad by changing the music in the very beginning to something extremely crappy. Also about Frank, if you read the Philosophy of Time Travel it talks about how the dead can come through the wormhole to the alternate universe, so there really are two Franks, the Dead Frank and the alive Frank(who also happens to be Elizabeth's boyfriend, that's who she's always talking to on the phone, and that's why she asks after him at the party.), That's why when Donnie and Frank are in the movie theatre and Donnie asks him what happened to his eye and all Frank replies with is, "I'm so sorry.", because the dead Frank already knows he kills Donnie's girlfriend, so he's apologising. At the end they show everyone in bed waking up, because in Roberta Sparrow's book, it also says that most people will not remember what happened before the time travel, their part in the story is only revealed to them in a dream. That's why Jim Cunningham wakes up crying because he had a dream that he was caught. That's also why they show Frank at the end, because the live Frank has a dream that his girlfriends brother shoots him in the eye, that's why he touches his eye. I've only watched it 3 times, but it intrigued me so much that I had to pay close attention, and do alot of research about it. I hope that this sorta helps clarify some of the questions people have.

Major Knight
seeing that the quality of the movie sucked thats not surprising.

Ward.exe
Got this on Dvd a month ago and i've seen it so many times so far it's amazing. It's a bit of a cult film and hard to understand. Has anybody else seen it, or liked it?

thegreatrudini
Yup got it and love it its like a flash back to the 80's

Mr Zero
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21697&highlight=darko

Crazy88No.1
Amazing movie, Directors Cut out here now :P

carlarainbird
This movie is amazing, and really clever. Plus it's so sad!!!! sad

Telemicus
Theres already a thread on this

Tex
Well it just took about 2 years, but I finally got around to renting it.

Seeing as I've heard rave reviews my expectations were high, so I was a little disappointed.

I still dont know what the hell is going on.
I've read 50 different interpretations, but I guess everyone comes out with their own meaning of the film.

And for that reason alone I think it acheived its purpose.

I wonder what ever happened to Ms_Saigon?
I believe she had cancer, hopefully it didn't get the best of her. sad

Darth Prefect
I hated Donnie Darko. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Tex
*Fat Chinese girl voice* Shut-up! stick out tongue

laughing out loud

azza2110
I agree with Darth! its was rubbish! How you can say that its a brilliant film amazes me! If you havent watched it, please read no more!

OK, firstly, time travel films never work. there are too many flaws in them, eg terminator (doesnt work), Timecop (not even worth going into),etc.

Secondly, he goes through the whole story just to think "hmm better that i die" and kills himself. So what was the point in the whole film? better to die then live? whats the meaning? where was the writer going with this? If the rabbit was visions of the person he kills in the end, how did he know the rabbit would be there unless he went back a previous time before the one we watch...therefore it loops and the only way to kill the loop is to kill himself.

The only thing i think this film achieves is to get people to talk about the film....hence it worked!

Its probably the 3rd most pointless film i have ever seen. 1st being Ice Storm (Kevin Kline), 2nd Sliding Doors. and now this...anyone shed light on why its so good please clarify!

Darth Prefect
i was being sarcastic. no expression

<<Solo>>
Donnie Darko is easily one of my favorite movies.

<<Solo>>
I found a thread that makes the ending make sence. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/board/thread/13106706

WindDancer
OVERATED to the Max!

Donnie Dorko...oops! I mean Donnie Darko is nothing but a cross experiment between 7th heaven and the Twilight Zone. Plus add some 80's tunes and you get this film. Man! I couldn't believe the hype behind this movie.

Tex
So by sacrificing himself Donnie actually saves Frank, Gretchen, his mom and little sister?

Although when the engine falls into the bedroom when Donnie is away sleepwalking his mom and sister are safe. And then at the end when the engine falls into his bedroom and kills Donnie his mom and sister are safe. confused

So does he only save Gretchen and Frank?

Mr Zero
He saves the entire world - the universe in fact:

if the tangent universe that the movie takes place in hadn't been destroyed (by donnies sacrifice) it would have created a kinda feedback loop that would have sucked the "real" world into nothingness.

Or so one theory goes.

Tex
But why was the tangent universe created in the first place?
Why didn't Donnie just die?

"Because there would be no movie you dildo!" - Mr. Zero

Mr Zero
(SPOILER WAR..oh too late... if you havent seen DD yet and you are reading this - **** you)

Its a good question: Sometimes I blow stuff like that off, but in the case of a movie I like as much as DD I do try to work my head around it.

Lord knows if the film makers agree, but...

Engine comes off plane:
WOULD HAVE - fallen to earth killing Donnie and in a cruel twist also his mom and sis (as they were on the plane)

INSTEAD: What happens is that (perhaps due to the fact that the plane and donnie are connected via his mom and sis) a worm hole glitch sci-fi BS deal occurs and send the engine back in time 28 days.

It still falls on the house - but 28 days earlier: This creates a glitch, a mini parallel universe thats only got 28 days to live (before it catches up with "real" time...)

In this tangent universe different shit goes down - this happen differently than they "did" in the "real" world. The main one being frank.

Donnie works most of this out during the life of the tangent universe and manages to undo the events that caused it in the first place by force of will. To-whit: accepting his own death, laying in his bed at the moment he would get squished in the "real" world - uniting the two threads and dying.

That undoes a lot of the events - most notably the ones that placed his mother and sister on the plane. They live, he dies and we all go to heaven in a little row boat.

Tex
Weird alright! confused

But you know, even with all that weird time travel stuff aside; its still a terrific movie.

Very funny, superb acting, great characters and brilliant directing.
The undecipherable plot just adds to its charm.

spidergrl
Donnie Darko Rocks to the max.

It really was an awsome movies, and i really really liked it. i mean the theory of time travel was just awsome.....it makes so much sence if your into it.

And def sad ending

Mr Zero
Thats what makes it - and why all the people who say it's overrated are nubbins - because even without the cool weirdness factor and spooky shit, it's a good movie about a teenager going through a very dark catcher in the rye moment. It's not a cool film about a scary bunny, its a great film about schizophrenia.

I'm all about the DD - and the directors cut is a honey.

spidergrl
whats in the director's cut Mr Zero? I haven't seen it.

Yea i love Donnie, I mean Jake Gyllenhaal really plays his character and shows so much like a hero during this and him dying for his girl freind and that.........excellent

Tex
...and the whole Smurf gang bang bit! laughing out loud

Darth Surgent
I think I'll watch that scene right now...

That was great. big grin

spidergrl
People - DOes anyone know what is in the director's cut??

Mr Zero
sorry...

Whole thread about the Directors cut over in DVD talk...

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=310014&highlight=donnie

spidergrl
so is the direstor's cut just extra scenes, to make the ending more sad when ...........well if you've watched it you'll know??

Samurai Guy
I watched this last night for the first time. I am ashamed of myself too. Very different movie.

Reminded me of Butterfly Effect.

spidergrl
yea it did remind me of the butterfly effect as well. i thought that it was such an awsome movie - just like the butterfly effect........

Mane
Donnie Darko is way better than the Butterfly Effect. They were nothing alike.

Mr Zero
Once again mane and I agree. Its like the world is ending?

spidergrl
yea i know that donnie darko was about the world ending but still. the main character had to go back in time and fix it some how.......

BlackC@t
Erm...I rented it and I thought it was okay, but nothing great. The ending was pretty cool.

Although The Butterfly Effect was a thousand times better.

Darth Surgent
I was just thinking the same thing.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>