The Anglican Pope.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

big gay kirk
With millions of Catholics worldwide mourning the Pope, it makes me wonder whether or not the Anglican Church would be better off with a Pope or Pope-like figure... is it a problem that the Church of England has the Queen as head, even though she is unable to carry out the duties of the lieutenant of God? Would the Church gain if full power were invested in the Archbishop of Canterbury, making him into an English Pope??? What do you lot reckon??

debbiejo
I'm not Catholic,and don't think to much about Pope things..But I'm sure the pope figure will live on. I don't know Pope politics.

finti
pope is just a title for powerhungry men, the protestant church doesnt need that kind of head of church, we have enough with the publicity craving bishops......and those funny hats

King Burger
The main reason why the Protestant movement began was to break
with the Pope and Rome.

I don't think it would make much sense for them to create one of
their own now.

Besdies, the whole point of the Pope is that he's the spiritual heir
of Peter (I'm pretty sure it's Peter...I think), so there can't really be
another Pope.

Some other smaller Christian sects do have their own chruch head,
though not on the same authority and power level as the Pope, such
as the Copts.

lil bitchiness
I dont get how the Pope thing works.

Hes strictly Catholic, no? What about all other branches of Christiaity, does Pope have any ''religious power'' over them?

debbiejo
^ NO...Wouldn't if be interesting though if there was a non-Catholic type Pope, if that's possible. Wouldn't that reunite both the Catholics and the Protestants? Some prophecies say there will be a "One World Church" especially the Cath. and Pros. branches...I do know that the Catholic church(mother church) is waiting for the protestant (daughter church) to come home...I bet this might do it, or it just might stir up something really big..

King Burger
If there ever was a union of major Christian sects, it's
more likely to be the Catholic Church, and some Eastern
Orthodox Church.

They happen to have more in comoon as far as views on
modern morality (or immorality), and the place of past
traditions.

In fact, it already happened, sort of, with the Maronites of
Lebanon, and the "Chaldeans" of Iraq. These two aren't
exactly Catholic, but they do rcognize the authory of Rome,
and practice some Catholic rites in their churches.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by King Burger
If there ever was a union of major Christian sects, it's
more likely to be the Catholic Church, and some Eastern
Orthodox Church..

Already been tried - this Christmas in fact in Eastern Europe. My family is Orthodox.

I dont actually know what the reaction of people was, but the talks were in motion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.