The three forms of love: Eros, Philos, Agape

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Book

debbiejo
Wow...that's long.

Book
Oh, sorry. I just like that passage very much and wanted to share it here in the philosophy section. Get your mind ready to swallow this!

King Burger
That was sweet, though this Petrus did seem like a party-pooper
at the beginning.

I think that a well-led life is one where the three loves, the
male-female love (Eros), the communal-societal love (Philos),
and the spiritual (Agape) are balanced.

Too much of one will lead to a neglect, and possibley even
hatred (for distracting form the it) of the others.

Ofcourse, one can do well with just one or two, or even an
imbalanced two or three, but for the best quality of life, I
think all three in harmony if good for the soul.

peterKSL
I've more of a liking to the Eros than the other two... it's the Eros, that drive the ecstasy of one being into a total happiness... but then the Philos is good to develop a long lasting relationship... The Agape is more of the conclusion of an understanding person who sees the beauty of life, and a fantasy of oneself...

A long lasting relationship is formed normally by Eros, leading to Philos, and perfected by Agape in the process... that of course, is my view of a perfect relationship...

This topic is exceptionally interesting for me... thanks for sharing...

Jackie Malfoy
Yea that is long but interesting.JM

Book

peterKSL
As for my own experience, I've experience both Eros and Agape, but not Philos... however I've imagined experiencing Philos, does that count...? erm

peterKSL
Originally posted by peterKSL
As for my own experience, I've experience both Eros and Agape, but not Philos... however I've imagined experiencing Philos, does that count...? erm

LOL... I was just joking... roll eyes (sarcastic)

well.. I did have friends a while back.. confused

Book
Well, great enough, if you think you have experienced AGAPE.
In my interpretation it is a high state of consciousness, where everything acquires BEAUTY, while one feels in Union with what there is...
a form of pre-close Enlightenment, so to say. wink

Cheers.

Book
Philos is the form of friendship one is more likely to experience. But even for that one really needs good luck finding the right people.
Eros as Plato describes is more than just a dull, instinct driven gratification. It has higher aspects in it.
Let me see, if by tomorrow I dig out this dialogue by Plato...
Best to all.

debbiejo
I'd love to be surround by AGAPE!

peterKSL
You'll be most welcomed deb wink

debbiejo
Wouldn't it be heaven???

peterKSL
If you call me an angel.. big grin

Phoenix
WOW! that was AMAZING! i'd heard those terms before, but I'd never fully understood what they meant... thanks book! big grin

goran.mecka
Once i have feel agape, but i think that my girl not. Is that possible? Now can i fill the same with another girl? I am together with a girl, and i feel eros and philos, i want agape! laughing

goran.mecka
Agape rules! laughing

goran.mecka
Go on eros!!! laughing

Symmetric Chaos
That's really pretty cool.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.