And people say Americans are violent..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KidRock
http://hotniss.com/page.php?id=91
http://hotniss.com/page.php?id=92
http://hotniss.com/page.php?id=83 <crazy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4185441.stm

Apparently its a fad in britain called Slap something(i forget) and these kids go around slapping people and just beating up women and random people.

The videos are pretty sick.. its a bunch of guys going around slapping women in the face. Watch at your own risk.

Deano
yeh ive heard about this

people use the mobile phones and film there mates slappin people

s|m
i didnt watch it, but it sounds retarded no expression

Red Superfly
This country..............

Deano
fukin dickheads..try that with me..id bash there faces in...

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by KidRock

Apparently its a fad in britain called Slap something(i forget) and these kids go around slapping people and just beating up women and random people.

The videos are pretty sick.. its a bunch of guys going around slapping women in the face. Watch at your own risk.

Why is people doing this?jm confused

Deano
cos they are morons with no life

Alpha Centauri
Yes, it's dumb and stupid but why the thread title "And people say Americans are violent.."?

As if that one stupid street crime removes all claim of being a violent nation from America.

-AC

Deano
every nation has idiots

KidRock
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Yes, it's dumb and stupid but why the thread title "And people say Americans are violent.."?

As if that one stupid street crime removes all claim of being a violent nation from America.

-AC

From my experience on forums and message boards people think America is the only country in the world with street violence and every other country is perfect. Just showing that that is not true.

Jackie Malfoy
Yea you are right about that!jm laughing

Deano
From my experience on forums and message boards people think America is the only country in the world with street violence and every other country is perfect. Just showing that that is not true.

no one is saying that other countrys apart from america are perfect..every country has street violence..and everyone knows this

its just that most people just think that there is MORE violence in america
which is not true

Alpha Centauri

Might wanna rethink the places where you got that experience then.

-AC

Lana

Hah! Where the hell did you get that impression? EVERY country has street crime, I've never seen anyone try to claim otherwise.

BackFire
One day they're going to do that to someone who has a concealed weapon, and they're going to be murdered for their idiocy, and no one will pity them because it will be their own fault. And I hope to god that someone video tapes it for me to see, and laugh at.

Deano
if they did that too me..they'd be dead before they hit the ground bastards

BackFire
Well, there is 5 of them, unless you're an expert in martial arts there's not much you can do.

I myself would probably go, get in my car, and run them all over.

Alpha Centauri
If they tried it to me I'd floor them and say "I could have been a wildman with a short fuse and a gun, you could have been dead. Think about that next time you act like a moron."

I wouldn't go to jail for an idiot.

-AC

Deano
i dont know karate backfire..but i know karazy..and i would use it

BackFire
haha, it may work, those guys all look like little pussies. They probably wouldn't know what to do if someone fought back. "oh no, our slapping isn't working!, what do we do!?"

Deano
If they tried it to me I'd floor them and say "I could have been a wildman with a short fuse and a gun, you could have been dead. Think about that next time you act like a moron."

-AC

i absolutly bloody agree

solution 1...id fight em all..if i get hammered.. i get hammered...

or solution 2...walk away but stalk them..wait till one of them are on there own..and then grab them and torture them
make them give me the address of the other dickheads houses..then go around there and.......

lil bitchiness
Abusive little shits.

BackFire
Originally posted by Deano
i absolutly bloody agree

solution 1...id fight em all..if i get hammered.. i get hammered...

or solution 2...walk away but stalk them..wait till one of them are on there own..and then grab them and torture them
make them give me the address of the other dickheads houses..then go around there and.......

Meh, I'd still rather run them over with my car. So much easier. But your way would be far more satisfying.

Alpha Centauri
They're not worth all that though, Dean.

Just clock them and be done with it. Someone actually tried it with my friend from Karate. The idiot got his hand grabbed before he even pulled off the slap, then got his wrist broken.

-AC

PVS
i dont know karate backfire..but i know karazy..and i would use it

was that a line from of 'zoolander'?

Deano
Originally posted by PVS
was that a line from of 'zoolander'?

shanghai noon

own wilson

smoker4
Damn thats fecked up sad

Deano
Originally posted by BackFire
Meh, I'd still rather run them over with my car. So much easier. But your way would be far more satisfying.

i cant drive so....lol
ill have to stick to my solution for now

BackFire
It would be hilarious to see them try that to my friend who carries a knife with him wherever he goes. They'd get stabbed before they even got off a second slap.

Deano
they'll get whats comin to em one day

Tex
Originally posted by BackFire
One day they're going to do that to someone who has a concealed weapon, and they're going to be murdered for their idiocy, and no one will pity them because it will be their own fault. And I hope to god that someone video tapes it for me to see, and laugh at.

That's why they attack women, because they know their not carrying any pocket knives or the likes.

Just those hoodlums wait! One day they'll attack a Dover dyke and they'll be lesbo food! evil face

BackFire
Originally posted by Tex
That's why they attack women, because they know their not carrying any pocket knives or the likes.

Just those hoodlums wait! One day they'll attack a Dover dyke and they'll be lesbo food! evil face

There were a good amount of men they attacked in the videos too.

And you never know, in this day and age, women are carrying weapons.

Afro Cheese
A lot of girls pack heat these days..

manny321
true, much different, they go full out towards the teacher. As i been to most Western countries, British and Australian kids i found were the worst. British kids think they way to high for everyone, Australians are very nice however there kids are messed. However high school Nazi groups in the USA were the most messed up thing i saw. Also there a lot of hooligans. I say Most of the US is good, but some certain cities and states/rural area are messed.

Here in Canada to many students want to act gangster or black or like smoking dope, or make fun of Americans even though a third of them can't pass a grade ten literacy test. laughing

Afro Cheese
They try to act gangsta and black and then make fun of Americans, even though they themselves are imitating American pop culture?

manny321
yep! Also they are the same people who think walmart is Canadian because walmart says it's a Canadian store on the front.

Afro Cheese
Oh well that's ok. You guys can have Walmart.

KharmaDog

-AC

I doubt very much that that comment would "floor them".

manny321
I wonder about people. i remember talking about romans and i said 2000 years ago the romans were at the height of the power. One guy said that's not true the world is not that old. I find fewer high school students you can find which can have good nice smart talk with.

Mist
wow...some people are f**ked up....and should get the crap kicked outta them...

rohan524
No country has a monopoly of jerks and bad asses. But I notice crimes of this nature are usually prevalent in the more developed, if not the richer countries. Could it be that Privilege has taken over basic Decency?

ChickinMeat
rudeness, it reminds me of the population where i used to live in england.

A nice seaside town, which had a curfew at 9'o'clock because gangs walked the streets. its a god damn joke.

i got bottles once by a gang, that was not good, and all because "i walked on there field", what has happened to england.

Imaginary
Originally posted by manny321
true, much different, they go full out towards the teacher. As i been to most Western countries, British and Australian kids i found were the worst. British kids think they way to high for everyone, Australians are very nice however there kids are messed. However high school Nazi groups in the USA were the most messed up thing i saw. Also there a lot of hooligans. I say Most of the US is good, but some certain cities and states/rural area are messed.

Here in Canada to many students want to act gangster or black or like smoking dope, or make fun of Americans even though a third of them can't pass a grade ten literacy test. laughing

Our kids are messed up? Excuse me? You've been to most Western countries, but you actually have to LIVE there to understand what the kids are like. And the majority of Aussie kids aren't messed up.

manny321
not majority, but compared to how nice Australian adults are they are not even close. I was in sydney so i'll just say the kids of sydney are odd.

Mist
laughing

ill agree with that! laughing

sucked in imag!

laughing

seriously, come to the good state, SA! big grin

Imaginary
And how long did you stay in Sydney? We are not odd! Well I am, but we're not the messed up kind of odd.

Linkalicious
I'm not surprised jack asses like this can be found around the world. What I am surprised about is how some people can just sit there and take being hit in the face.

Even if I got beaten within an inch of my life....there's no way I'd let a guy slap me without swinging a couple of fists at him.

Clovie

The videos are pretty sick.. its a bunch of guys going around slapping women in the face. Watch at your own risk. blink why would they do that? (and i'm not watching videos)

WindDancer

Stupid punks! I would love to see them try that kind of shit in a city like Harlem, Watts, or Compton. Someone most likely would shoot them in the head with a .45. yes

KharmaDog
Having watched those videos I am totally disgusted. Those punks are nothing but little cowards. If they touched me, or if I saw them hit a defenceless kid or woman like that the I would definitely be sending at least one of them to the hospital.

Some members (and I already know who they are) will say that there is no point in being a "hero" or to worry myself about what's happening to others.

But it exactly for the reason that no one ever stands up to punks like this or helps anyone in trouble out that these kids feel safe in doing what they are doing.

PVS
^^^

solid point

the bottom line is people that do shit like this are gutless cowards.
rather than pick a real fight they pick a one-sided assault. not that
i condone fighting, but if you're so damn macho then maybe you should
find someone who also wants a fight. but that would take balls and these
scumbags have none.

the more people look away and say 'not my problem', the more these pricks get away with it. and logic would conclude then that someday it WILL be your problem

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS

the more people look away and say 'not my problem', the more these pricks get away with it. and logic would conclude then that someday it WILL be your problem

EXACTLY, but it's so much easier to turn your head away and make up reasons why you are a good person to not get involved. Even if you don't have the physical capabilities you could call the police, or yell, or something!

Alpha Centauri
Getting away with it is subjective though.

They slap and run off. If they tried it with me or most people here I'm sure they'd get smacked. That's not getting away with it.

If they do it to someone and get stopped, they'll just keep picking on weaker and weaker people. At the moment they're not exactly doing it to people who can't defend themselves.

It's my problem when they do it to me, and then it'll be their problem for doing it.

Simple.

-AC

PVS
They slap and run off. If they tried it with me or most people here I'm sure they'd get smacked. That's not getting away with it.

yes it is. they are commiting a crime, and did you actually waych the videos? many times they are doing far more than 'slapping'. they are not facing justice with a returned slap, but with a criminal conviction.

If they do it to someone and get stopped, they'll just keep picking on weaker and weaker people. At the moment they're not exactly doing it to people who can't defend themselves.

you need to actually watch the videos, not just a quick clip of one. whether or not the victim can defend themselves is not the issue. this is assault. so you say let them do it so that they wont pick on weaker people!?!?!? i know you will say thats twisting your words, so then please explain that.

It's my problem when they do it to me, and then it'll be their problem for doing it.

well that was real macho and impressive. did you beat your chest after typing that?

WindDancer
Originally posted by PVS

well that was real macho and impressive. did you beat your chest after typing that?

No I don't think that AC is trying to sound Macho. He does have a point. If he were to get slap on the face is his right to retaliate. What do you expect him to do? Yell "help police!"? Is his right to take action if needed. It has nothing to do with being macho or brave. Is a normal reaction to hit someone back.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by PVS
yes it is. they are commiting a crime, and did you actually waych the videos? many times they are doing far more than 'slapping'. they are not facing justice with a returned slap, but with a criminal conviction.

Being that I live in one of the areas it originated in, I've seen more than videos. I know people who've had it done to them..........once. Then never again, for reasons I'll reveal soon. I never said they were facing justice, I just said they're not exactly getting away with it if they "slap" someone and get battered.

Originally posted by PVS
you need to actually watch the videos, not just a quick clip of one. whether or not the victim can defend themselves is not the issue. this is assault. so you say let them do it so that they wont pick on weaker people!?!?!? i know you will say thats twisting your words, so then please explain that.

Well if you didn't think it was twisting words you wouldn't have anticipated that I'd say it. That's parapraxi number one.

Explain what? How am I to explain something I didn't say? Give me an answer to that and I'll answer your question.

Originally posted by PVS

No, because it wasn't intended as a macho comment. I was speaking for me and me alone, as always. If they choose to do such a thing, they will be doing it to someone who's gonna retaliate with more force. Why is it now macho to defend yourself? Maybe if these people were a little more macho we'd not have thugs intimidating people on the street.

-AC

KharmaDog
If they do it to someone and get stopped, they'll just keep picking on weaker and weaker people.

No, if they feel that they can't get away with it because others will stop them, they will stop because they are cowardly little turds.

At the moment they're not exactly doing it to people who can't defend themselves.

Yes they are, some people cannot defend themselves because they don't know how, some can't because they are afraid. Did you even watch the video? They generally outnumber their victim. The often do it by suprise. And they do it in packs to intimidate.

Simple.

-AC

Yeah, you're right, who gives a shit if other people suffer, so long as you take care of yourself that's all that matters. Funny though, it's often people with that attitude who cry the loudest when people don't help them.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by KharmaDog
No, if they feel that they can't get away with it because others will stop them, they will stop because they are cowardly little turds.

How do you suppose they'll feel about continuing their crusade when people keep smacking them upside the head?

Yes they are, some people cannot defend themselves because they don't know how, some can't because they are afraid. Did you even watch the video? They generally outnumber their victim. The often do it by suprise. And they do it in packs to intimidate.

Anyone can defend themselves, if physically able. Anyone can make some kind of an attempt. That's not "can't", what you describe. It's not that they can't do it, they're just not doing it.

Yeah, you're right, who gives a shit if other people suffer, so long as you take care of yourself that's all that matters. Funny though, it's often people with that attitude who cry the loudest when people don't help them.

Live your life, I'll live mine, everyone's happy.

That's EXACTLY right. As long as I take care of myself and those that matter to me, everything is fine. Why should I do things any other way? Coz it's 'right'? To who?

-AC

PVS

i asked you to explain this, as i quoted before, not that you dont know exactly what i asked. you can either answer the question or give yet another useless condescending comment...your choice

PVS
your statement- 'If they do it to someone and get stopped, they'll just keep picking on weaker and weaker people. At the moment they're not exactly doing it to people who can't defend themselves.'

my reply- '...so you say let them do it so that they wont pick on weaker people!?!?!?...'

wtf is the problem? answer the question

KharmaDog
Anyone can defend themselves, if physically able. Anyone can make some kind of an attempt. That's not "can't", what you describe. It's not that they can't do it, they're just not doing it.

Not everyone can defend themselves. Some have never been taught. Others don't have the physical strength or size, and still others do not have the mentality. Maybe in your world, where everyone takes care of themselves, everyone is born a ninja with a warrior spirit. In the real world people have fears, other people are intimidated into inaction and then there are the people who the just got attacked from behind.

That's EXACTLY right. As long as I take care of myself and those that matter to me, everything is fine. Why should I do things any other way? Coz it's 'right'? To who?

-AC

And that's why this world will always suck. I question if your motivations are for self preservation or just a general apathy for others.

Fire
no one is saying that other countrys apart from america are perfect..every country has street violence..and everyone knows this

which is not true

Bit late but studies (in Belgium) have shown that the general public does indeed feels as if crime in the US is way higher than it is in real life. I think the media (movies and TV shows) are a big part of the cause of this.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Fire
Bit late but studies (in Belgium) have shown that the general public does indeed feels as if crime in the US is way higher than it is in real life. I think the media (movies and TV shows) are a big part of the cause of this.

I wonder if they've done similar survey on UK. I think I'll look into that.

United States HAS a high gun crime...its higher than anywhere in Europe.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by PVS
your statement- 'If they do it to someone and get stopped, they'll just keep picking on weaker and weaker people. At the moment they're not exactly doing it to people who can't defend themselves.'

my reply- '...so you say let them do it so that they wont pick on weaker people!?!?!?...'

wtf is the problem? answer the question

First off. Look at my statement, then your question derived from the statement. Where did I imply that we should LET them do it just so they don't pick on weaker people? Short and fast answer: I didn't. I merely said that if they do it and get stopped, they'll pick on weaker people, coz they will. Point being that it's gonna happen as long as idiots are around to do it. You're not gonna scare a street thug into stopping a crime by calling the police because half the time these are thugs that get IN riots with the police.

Not everyone can defend themselves. Some have never been taught. Others don't have the physical strength or size, and still others do not have the mentality. Maybe in your world, where everyone takes care of themselves, everyone is born a ninja with a warrior spirit. In the real world people have fears, other people are intimidated into inaction and then there are the people who the just got attacked from behind.

Taught? You don't need to be taught how to fight.

Oh is this the part where you try to make my rationale seem the opposite by going way over the top? Oh, apparantly so. Not everyone DOES defend themselves, a good majority of those attacked, have the ability to fight back. They don't use it. You don't need a black belt to floor a man.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should defend themselves without fail, I'm saying everyone has the ability to mount an offensive/defensive unless. You're saying they can't.

And that's why this world will always suck. I question if your motivations are for self preservation or just a general apathy for others.

That's not why the world will always suck. If anything the world will always suck because false, sanctimonius, human nature forces people to concentrate on everybody elses lives as much as their own, regardless of how irrelevant they are. If more people worked on keeping their own shit in order, we'd at least have a more peaceful world.

The point is, I take care of me and those closest to me, those I care about. Nobody else matters. Why should they? Because they're humans? Means jack to me. If I don't know you, you might as well not exist. If I hadn't heard you shouting when you were getting "slapped", I wouldn't have known you even existed. Why, just because our paths have crossed do I now have an obligation to help you? (I don't).

Question all you want, I know why I do what I do. You obviously have major trouble coming to terms with that. Not my problem.

-AC

PVS
the trouble is in your pride in that outlook.
and please dont bullshit me, its pride. you present that selfish rant as
if thats the smart way to live, and anyone who would disagree is a tool.

i dont know AC, you seem really comfortable with being part of a greater problem. maybe thats what people find troubling, not your outlook in itself.

Alpha Centauri
Hahahaha.

A common pattern when I debate with you. I say something you literally cannot accept or comprehend and you pass it off as something that you'd like it to be.

Please don't bullshit you? You mean by telling you what it actually is rather than what you want it to be? Haha.

I'm not being part of any problem. I'm keeping myself to myself in life. Keeping those closest to me close, and living my life without interfering with anyone. If you believe you have some deep rooted moral and upstanding obligation to contribute to a cause that you needn't contribute to, then rock and roll. I choose not to and in no way is my choice causing greater problems.

-AC

PVS

KharmaDog
I'm not being part of any problem. I'm keeping myself to myself in life. Keeping those closest to me close, and living my life without interfering with anyone. If you believe you have some deep rooted moral and upstanding obligation to contribute to a cause that you needn't contribute to, then rock and roll. I choose not to and in no way is my choice causing greater problems.

-AC

Apathy is a problem in the world, and whether you choose to acknowledge it or not , you are part of the problem.

Taught? You don't need to be taught how to fight.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should defend themselves without fail, I'm saying everyone has the ability to mount an offensive/defensive unless. You're saying they can't.-AC

And I disagree, not everyone is able to mount a defensive or offensive physical attack.

That's not why the world will always suck. If anything the world will always suck because false, sanctimonius, human nature forces people to concentrate on everybody elses lives as much as their own, regardless of how irrelevant they are. If more people worked on keeping their own shit in order, we'd at least have a more peaceful world.

The point is, I take care of me and those closest to me, those I care about. Nobody else matters. Why should they? Because they're humans? Means jack to me. If I don't know you, you might as well not exist. If I hadn't heard you shouting when you were getting "slapped", I wouldn't have known you even existed. Why, just because our paths have crossed do I now have an obligation to help you? (I don't).

Question all you want, I know why I do what I do. You obviously have major trouble coming to terms with that. Not my problem.

-AC

Talk about sanctimonius, you take the cake my friend. And no, I don't have a problem coming to terms with your pontificating and posturing so that you can try to impress people how you are so above the human condition. I just think it's funny that such a young kid thinks that he has all the answers in the world and tries to reinforce his beliefs by argueing his case constantly whenever possible.

Ushgarak
I note no-one is actually trying to give AC a good reason to do what you say. If you are just going to complain about AC's opinion I don't see any point in posting at all- that is AC's opinion, let AC have it.

I also note that this disturbing trend of equating not running in and helping physically with automatically thinking 'not my problem' is continuing. If you think this sort of thing is going to be sorted out by have-a-go heroes, you are way wroong.

There are other ways to be socially conscious than direct intervention.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I note no-one is actually trying to give AC a good reason to do what you say.

Stopping someone from being physically assaulted should be reason enough. At least it is for many people.

If you think this sort of thing is going to be sorted out by have-a-go heroes, you are way wroong.

And with that I totally agree. I don't want to come off as believing that retalitory violence is the only way. Attempting any action that disrupts this behaviour any way is what's needed. But turning your back is just contributing to the problem.

Perhaps if more people became involved things like this wouldn't happen. A sense of community is no longer prevalent in many of today's societies. Apathy is beginning to reign supreme.

Sadako of Girth
I say that if the victim is a little girl or an elderly person (or they maybe disabled) and you can defend them and you choose to then that is equally "Ok" as choosing not to though.. just my opinion....

PVS
I note no-one is actually trying to give AC a good reason to do what you say. If you are just going to complain about AC's opinion I don't see any point in posting at all- that is AC's opinion, let AC have it.

I also note that this disturbing trend of equating not running in and helping physically with automatically thinking 'not my problem' is continuing. If you think this sort of thing is going to be sorted out by have-a-go heroes, you are way wroong.

i can sum it up like this:

you see someone getting beat down by thugs. you are afraid of the risk to yourself, so you can:

a-intervene in whatever way you can. either by jumping in, or shouting for help and drawing attention to the crime, and/or study the attackers so that you may give an identification to police when they show up because you hopefully called them...things of this nature

or

b-say "f*** em"

nobody is saying that you have to be a hero and put yourself in harms way, but ffs if you can help then help in whatever way you can.
nothing in what AC is saying tells me he wouldnt opt for 'b' erm

Linkalicious
Mr. Incredible got fired because his boss didn't let him go save the day when a guy was getting mugged. no expression

When your ass is on the line just think....what would Mr. Incredible do?

Deano
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

i saw this pic on a website

thats why i think they shud ban guns completely

Lana
i saw this pic on a website

thats why i think they shud ban guns completely

Yeah, I think they should, too.

Italy has a TON of gun-related murders, too.

The Inkeeper

which is not true

It is true no expression

Plus America's media encourage it, at least the Rap genre does.

Westside Vs Eastside
Tupac vs Biggie
Marshall Vs Rule

Holy hell! Lets go spray some people with my uz, gat, glock or whatever!

Miss_Faye
hmm it seems stupidity is reproducing fast....if that was me i'll tazer their ass and then pepper spray their got damn eyes out!!! evil face

Linkalicious
I'm actually proud of these morons on film. If they're going to go out of their way to be violent idiots....atleast they only used their hands.

Anyone read about that dumbass football player for Arizona State University who shot his own teammate in a fit of rage because he was talking to a girl the guy wanted to hook up with...

Seriously now people. To shoot someone over something so trivial... I could understand if he got out of his car and beat the crap out of the guy...that's something us neaderthal men would do. But to kill someone for talking to a girl...that isn't your wife or girlfriend. That's just some crazy American bullshit right there.

Miss_Faye
True True i agree with you Link, but in my opinion it's both bullshit. Both have no point, killing someone and slapping someone for stupid shit...it's just........a bunch of b.s. to me.

WindDancer
Originally posted by The Inkeeper
It is true no expression

Plus America's media encourage it, at least the Rap genre does.

Westside Vs Eastside
Tupac vs Biggie
Marshall Vs Rule

Holy hell! Lets go spray some people with my uz, gat, glock or whatever!

How exactly is this true? How does the media encourage violence? What they are doing is "reporting" the cases. And what's with this "the Rap genre does"?

Blame music for crime? Is this a joke? Mind you I don't like rap or hip-hop or whatever but I would never held them responsible for crime in streets. That's just plain silly.

The Inkeeper
By media i meant film/music industries.

And yeah, i think Music and Film can be blamed for an increase in crime. If every artist is singing about shooting, it will be seen to be cool, and theres always the select few who will copy.

Film- Deer Hunter caused a growth in Russian Roulette games erm

PVS
its a matter of role models WD.
gangsta rappers are pushed onto the public as role models
and nobody dares challenge them. i even saw a particular commercial selling bikes to kids...guess who stars in it...snoop dog.

its not the music itself, which is just a form of expression.
the danger is in the way it is allowed to be part of our kids' lives,
or more to the point, the way record/fashion/media companies are allowed
to push it onto kids. just because something isnt the direct cause of the problem, does not mean it should be encouraged and served to children along side their cocoa puffs in the morning.

porn is not the cause for promiscuous sex, teen pregnancy, V.D. etc. but does that mean its ok to sit your kid down in from of the TV and pop in 'debbie does dallas'?

especially in the u.s. we have been breeding a culture of pimps, whores, junkies, thugs, and murderers. not just a matter of having them exist in society, but rather hoisting criminals on our shoulders and saying "we love you" and telling our kids "this is what it is to be cool." thats the big difference.

WindDancer
By media i meant film/music industries.

And yeah, i think Music and Film can be blamed for an increase in crime. If every artist is singing about shooting, it will be seen to be cool, and theres always the select few who will copy.

See you're getting into a whole different argument here. Is called "Life immitating art". You can't really put the blame on music or movies or video games for crimes committed in the streets. Any song or any film that has violence as a subject cannot be held responsible for criminal acts. Copycats? you mean the knuckle heads who uses the lame excuse of saying "I saw it in a movie don't blame me". Nope, that don't work and cops know that these people are looking for ways to justified their actions. It doesn't work...

Originally posted by PVS
its a matter of role models WD.
gangsta rappers are pushed onto the public as rold models
and nobody dare challenges them. ever see the commercial selling bikes to
kids...guess whos in it...snoop dog.

So what if he is selling bikes? That's how he makes his money using his image. Snoop Dogg is nothing more than an entertainer. Sure he grew up in the harsh streets of Long Beach. But he is far from being a gangster or whatever. Is an image and he can't be held resposible for some idiot out there that thinks he is all gangsta and goes out and shoots at people. Quit pointing fingers at the wrong people.

PVS
Originally posted by WindDancer
So what if he is selling bikes? That's how he makes his money using his image. Snoop Dogg is nothing more than an entertainer. Sure he grew up in the harsh streets of Long Beach. But he is far from being a gangster or whatever. Is an image and he can't be held resposible for some idiot out there that thinks he is all gangsta and goes out and shoots at people. Quit pointing fingers at the wrong people.

snoop dog is a member of the crips (not 'was' a member)
he was a crack dealer and a thug. im not pointing the finger at the wrong person. do some research on that one.

as i said in another thread, i pass no judgement on him. he probably just did what he had to do to survive. but how should he be a role model?

WindDancer
Originally posted by PVS
especially in the u.s. we have been breeding a culture of pimps, whores, junkies, thugs, and murderers. not just a matter of having them exist in society, but rather hoisting criminals on our shoulders and saying "we love you" and telling our kids "this is what it is to be cool." thats the big difference.

All those things are social problems. We'd had these problems for decades. There were no violent movies back then or violent music yet we have these issues today. So is really music and movies and video games responsible? Nope.

PVS
All those things are social problems. We'd had these problems for decades. There were no violent movies back then or violent music yet we have these issues today. So is really music and movies and video games responsible? Nope.

winddancer, please read the entirety of my post...this part:
"...hoisting criminals on our shoulders and saying "we love you" and telling our kids "this is what it is to be cool." thats the big difference."

thats my point. they are looked up to now as heros, and media/fashion companies encourage this...no...they BANK on it

The Inkeeper
Music with lyrics glorifying guns, drugs and drink listened to by impressionable people is not a good formula.

PVS
its going to happen anyway innkeeper. artists will capitalise on all things taboo and kids will always listen to exactly what their parents tell then to not listen to.

the point i make is that for the first time, this thug culture shit is being backed by the top media labels in the country as well as the fashion industry. they are being mass marketed, blatently aimed at kids.

WindDancer
Originally posted by PVS
winddancer, please read the entirety of my post...this part:
"...hoisting criminals on our shoulders and saying "we love you" and telling our kids "this is what it is to be cool." thats the big difference."

thats my point. they are looked up to now as heros, and media/fashion companies encourage this...no...they BANK on it

You don't have to tell me to read it. Once is enough to read. What I'm pointing out is that you cannot mixing in music (in this case hip-hop) with social problems that date back to the 1900's. There was prostitution back then, there was shootings, there were pimps back then. But guess what? There was no hip hop music back then. Nowadays kids do make these singers into idols. The problem here is not the artists but rather the careless parents who do not supervise or even talk to their kids about violence and reality. Once again every act committed by a kid is trace back to the resposibiltiy of the parent NOT the Music artist.

PVS
the point i'm making for the third time is that these...'anti-heros' if you will...are backed by big business and thus unchecked.

at least since the 1900's people of this nature were shunned as criminals,
not admired, especially not endorsed...ESPECIALLY not worshipped, which they are.

The Inkeeper
You cant blame the parents.

I know from a good friend you cant blame parents, his dad died after lotsa men attacked him. His mam told him never to fight, so he didnt end up like his dad or like the men who did it to his dad.

Then he found Rap, and since then he has changed into the biggest white ganster since Al Capone.

PVS

Then he found Rap, and since then he has changed into the biggest white ganster since Al Capone.

seeing that name just got me thinking...amazing how times change isnt it?
when al capone was convicted they threw his ass in alcatraz.
today they would have given him a record deal, a line of clothing, and a TV show erm

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS

today they would have given him a record deal, a line of clothing, and a TV show erm

I know its not a laughing matter, but thats funny. Because its true.

KharmaDog
You don't have to tell me to read it. Once is enough to read. What I'm pointing out is that you cannot mixing in music (in this case hip-hop) with social problems that date back to the 1900's.

Are you actually comparing the social culture of violence and promescuity of the late 1800's and early 1900's to today and claiming that they occur with equal prevalence?

I agree with PVS. We have glamourized the culture of criminality and made it desirable to kids. Corporations, the media and parents are all equally to blame.

Corporations manufacture products and lifestyles (such as the slutty girl image or the gangsta image and all the products to which each are associated) to sell to kids. The media promotes these images and products to kids and parents buy them for the kids.

At least the corporation and the media do it for money, parents are guilty of just being passive and lazy.

I saw an interview on t.v. where a reporter asked a store manager if she thought it was appropriate to sell lace bras to 8 year old girls. The manager replied that it's o.k. because it's the parents that buy them and if there was no demand she wouldn't sell them. She then said it makes the little girls feel sexy, but that they don't have to have sex to be sexy. If no one can see the monumental problem with this, then we are all doomed.

The Inkeeper
So you agree Gangstaism is being promoted?

When somethings promoted people jump on the bandwagon.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS
seeing that name just got me thinking...amazing how times change isnt it?

It's so funny. yet so sad because it's true.

My nephew thinks it's cool that fifty cent has been shot nine times. I think that all it means is that after 9 attempts fifty is too stupid to realize he's hangin' out with the wrong people and that there are 9 guys out there with pretty bad aim.

manny321
well i remember i played mortal combat when i was eight and i got scared from that game so much that i even refuse to go in that room for 2 weeks. Now eight year olds play GTA like its super mario. Times have changed, a game like GTA 10 years ago would be banned. Note i have the game and play it and like it but society changed a lot from ten years ago. In ten years i don't want to even imagine how 14 year old high school girls would look like. Its changing fast but some see it as society becoming more open, however there has to be a limit.

PVS
well, i see no harm in video games in that there is no message about what is cool and who you should be like. you are just a bunch of pixels blowing up other pixels...and thats that. some people are sick in the head and use these games as an outlet for their deranged feelings, but is that the fault of the game? and does taking such games away help solve that problem?

Alpha Centauri
And I disagree, not everyone is able to mount a defensive or offensive physical attack.

Within reason you're wrong.

Talk about sanctimonius, you take the cake my friend. And no, I don't have a problem coming to terms with your pontificating and posturing so that you can try to impress people how you are so above the human condition. I just think it's funny that such a young kid thinks that he has all the answers in the world and tries to reinforce his beliefs by argueing his case constantly whenever possible.

I think that's funny too. Who's doing it? Oh....oh you were referring to me?

First off all, don't be so hypocritical as to talk to me of being disrespectful then call me a young kid. Second, stop telling yourself false reasons why I believe what I do purely because you can not come up with any good reason to why I SHOULDN'T feel that way.

-AC

WindDancer
Are you actually comparing the social culture of violence and promescuity of the late 1800's and early 1900's to today and claiming that they occur with equal prevalence?

I agree with PVS. We have glamourized the culture of criminality and made it desirable to kids. Corporations, the media and parents are all equally to blame.

Corporations manufacture products and lifestyles (such as the slutty girl image or the gangsta image and all the products to which each are associated) to sell to kids. The media promotes these images and products to kids and parents buy them for the kids.

At least the corporation and the media do it for money, parents are guilty of just being passive and lazy.

I saw an interview on t.v. where a reporter asked a store manager if she thought it was appropriate to sell lace bras to 8 year old girls. The manager replied that it's o.k. because it's the parents that buy them and if there was no demand she wouldn't sell them. She then said it makes the little girls feel sexy, but that they don't have to have sex to be sexy. If no one can see the monumental problem with this, then we are all doomed.

My point (again) is that prior to any of the stuff we have today that we consider a "bad influence". Society had already face social issues like prostitution, drug addiction, murder, etc..etc... What I see today is that people tend to blame crime and violence on music, movies, and video games. In fact what they're doing is looking to blame something else for the problem rather than look into ourselves.

Yes, we all know that corporation do it for money and for profit. What's new? We've known this for years. Is it going to stop? Of course not! So a rapper signs a million dollar contract with a major recording studio to sell gangsta rap. So what? He is doing it for the business. He is getting pay for that. Thats his method of earning money. Just like you earn your money when you go to work. In the end the parents are responsible for their kids. If a parent cannot control his kid then other options must be taken. But to continue to pound Music, Movies, and Video Games leads to only one thing....and that is censorship. Which of course is the major tool of anyone that wants to dictate someone else.

PVS
well AC, glad you're back. maybe you can answer this 'a or b' question, so that i may know more about what you preach so adamantly.
ok, you see a kid being beat down my thugs. what do you do:

Originally posted by PVS
a-intervene in whatever way you can. either by jumping in, or shouting for help and drawing attention to the crime, and/or study the attackers so that you may give an identification to police when they show up because you hopefully called them...things of this nature

or

b-say "f*** em"

lil bitchiness
But to continue to pound Music, Movies, and Video Games leads to only one thing....and that is censorship. Which of course is the major tool of anyone that wants to dictate someone else.

People need to release that banning something is not gonna stop people from doing it - that goes for everything, including drugs.

What needs to be done is children need to be educated that its that kind of behaviour that is not right, not forbid it all together, because that will just lead to problems.

Violent video games are played all over the world, Canada, Europe, Japan, yet none of these have as high crime rate as USA does, so it must be something about your socialisation.

The Inkeeper
Banning something only makes it more popular with the youth.

Deano
i blame the parents and tv

people who get bought up wrong will most probably be weak minded and more influenced by tv and other people

Deano
Originally posted by PVS
well AC, glad you're back. maybe you can answer this 'a or b' question, so that i may know more about what you preach so adamantly.

how many thugs?

cos if there is about 5...then what can i do?..be heroic? and then two ambulances will be needed...pointless..hopeless situation

if there are 2 thugs....id probably try and help

be more specific

PVS
is their a going trend to only read part of my post and still repond? in that post, i stated that this 'help' could simply include shouting for help, or witnessing the crime and calling police...in other words...ANYTHING

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by PVS

Obviously, shouting out. Because is helping and can be done from a distance. If I have my cell phone, I'll call the police if it's a serious mugging. If it's some one/one street fight, let them sort it out.

The point I'm making is, I'm not putting my physical safety at risk to dive into a dangerous situation for someone I don't even know. I don't see why that's hard to grasp.

-AC

WindDancer
People need to release that banning something is not gonna stop people from doing it - that goes for everything, including drugs.

I think to regulate or maybe (just maybe) limit a certain amount is necessary. Yes, I agree there must be a limit or a line drawn. And banning something doesn't always equal end of the problem.

What needs to be done is children need to be educated that its that kind of behaviour that is not right, not forbid it all together, because that will just lead to problems.

Indeed, the issue involves parenting. But unfortunally like The Inkeeper mention there is the single parent problem. In which the issue gets very complicated do to economical matters the single parent might face.

Violent video games are played all over the world, Canada, Europe, Japan, yet none of these have as high crime rate as USA does, so it must be something about your socialisation.

Yeah, that point was address in the video game violence thread. Adam Poe and I had a short discussion about the APA. As for the American social system is also a matter of very complicated issues. We have to remenber that America is composed of different ethnic groups and also different cultures get involved. This is also a very difficult social issue in the USA. Especially if we're dealing with crime in certain areas of the US.

PVS
well thats better than 'f*** em', which you gave the distinct impression of believing before.

and AC, i dont know you, so nothing is 'obvious'. you paint a picture of yourself through the words you say and thats all i have to go on.

The Inkeeper
I would intervene no expression

Police are useless, they ignore getting on the wrong side of large gangs where i live.

PVS
not only that, but in places where cops do their job,
there is a huge amount of time between when a crime happens and
the cops arrive (even if they arrive as quickly as humanly possible)
so you are not doing much for the victim in that sense.

Fire

True but when asked about how violent people thought american cities were (they were asked questions about 10 cities) they ALWAYS gravely overestimated the number of murders and gun crimes that had happened there.

manny321
Thats true here in Canada. The murder rate and the number of murders in Toronto is still and even lower then it was 15 years ago, but because of the media focusing on events more closely people think otherwise. Also, i think murder is down but murder by gun is way to popular and that is dangerous.
true, fire, i been to LA, yes its messed in my views but the people there were not scared really. Also many people think its los santos in GTA )gang wars, helciopter hijackings, douzen murders a day) laughing in LA. It really isn't that bad but after LA i find Toronto a bit more peaceful then i used too. I found out what real crime is.

Fire
LA is an OK city but I like San Fransico better. Tho they don't beat New York

manny321
Maybe i came to LA during a crime wave it was the just after the LA riots. New york is like half great and quite and the other half is like what the hell is going on!!!!! San Fransisco is one of the best places i have been to in the US.

dave123
I've seen all of them before on people's phones, and it got me thinking:

they were all taken on people's phones, but did they only do it because they could record it, or has this been going on all the time.... just never got recorded?

Who's to say America isn't that bad... only there they are smart enough NOT to record it stick out tongue

manny321
in my visits to the US the most violent places were...
1.LA
2.New york
3.Detroit
4. Chicago
5. A town i forgot the name of in Kansas, and the guy shot someone because he owned him 50 dollars. Messed up hillbillies and no one cared the guy was left dead for an hour. !!!!!!!!!!!! I say that specfic town is messed, the town right beside it was fun and nice.

Magee
How can u judge a cities crime rate when u have only visited it for a while?

Fire
I don't think anyone is doing that here Magee

Arachnoidfreak
New York? I live here and I gotta say, it's violent, but not THAT violent, not in the ENTIRE city anyway. certain places of course yes, but not even half of the city is that violent.

Alpha Centauri
New York rules. I loved it when I went there. People are more friendly toward you when your British....mostly.

-AC

Fire
Only was there for 5 days but I think I could start living there, tho the pace was always rush rush they need to learn to relax

lil bitchiness
I'll be visiting New York this summer. It remains to be seen if it can make me like it more than London (although i doubt it)

love London love

BackFire
New York rules. I loved it when I went there. People are more friendly toward you when your British....mostly.

-AC

That's because of your funny accent stick out tongue

manny321
how about places that are nice in places but are messed in others. Manhattan is the best place in the USA, however the rest of new york is messed however after reviewing my trip I'll drop it and put in Cleavland. New york is much better then when dad went in the 80d's as he says.

I am talking about place where i did not feel very safe or i thought crime was not very much under control. The rest Detroit, Chicago expect the downtown Cleavland, and hillbilly town in Kansas are still in.

My fav places!!! I felt happy, some places peaceful and just relaxed
1.Manhattan (so much fun)
2. All of Florida
3. San Fransisco
4. Seattle
5. Denver
6. Texas (i had a rare good experince there)

Afro Cheese
How have you been to all of those cities? I live in the US and I've never been off the east coast. Do you drive around in an RV and look at cities or something? Or do you count a layover at an airport as visiting a city?

Afro Cheese

The videos are pretty sick.. its a bunch of guys going around slapping women in the face. Watch at your own risk. How do you watch the video? When I click the link it goes to the site and has WMP at the bottom but it doesn't play anything.

Deano
give it chance to load..it will play eventually

GCG

Alpha Centauri
I'll be visiting New York this summer. It remains to be seen if it can make me like it more than London (although i doubt it)

love London love

If you're ever in London next week or the week after, shout me a holla. I'll be around.

-AC

lil bitchiness
If you're ever in London next week or the week after, shout me a holla. I'll be around.

-AC Yes I will be, and yes I will!

Wooo!!

Lana

love London love

I've never been to New York...Chicago is awesome though...and I LOVED London love

Alpha Centauri
I've been to London and New York, never Chicago. Let's trade.

Well I live in London, so it doesn't really count.

-AC

Lana
Meh, I live 10 minutes from Chicago...

KharmaDog

Within reason you're wrong.

And I think that you're wrong. Looks like we have to agree to disagree.

First off all, don't be so hypocritical as to talk to me of being disrespectful then call me a young kid. Second, stop telling yourself false reasons why I believe what I do purely because you can not come up with any good reason to why I SHOULDN'T feel that way.

Am I wrong? Are you not 19? That would make you a young kid to older folks. Sorry to offend, but that's the way I see it.

Second, stop telling yourself false reasons why I believe what I do purely because you can not come up with any good reason to why I SHOULDN'T feel that way.
-AC

I don't believe my reasoning to be false and it is based on more than
my failing to come up with the reason that you stated. Once again that is an opinion I am entitled to. And as you have stated before in other threads that you care not what others think of you I am suprised that you are so concerned.

IceWithin

I know right... I mean a lil group in britain beat ppl up.. all countries other than the US are pure CRAP...
The US rocks... they're saints... everything they do is for world peace... every country shold be more like the US...

PVS
Originally posted by IceWithin
I know right... I mean a lil group in britain beat ppl up.. all countries other than the US are pure CRAP...
The US rocks... they're saints... everything they do is for world peace... every country shold be more like the US...

unfortunately, kidrock can only argue for america by putting down other countries. you would think that the proper way to sell the american way of life would be to focus on the posative aspects, but his only way is to focus on the negative aspects of everyone else, as if that cancels out any evil in america.

its a pity really, since it in fact makes our country look bad, as if we just cant find anything posative to brag about, so we can only say "well you suck MORE!!!"

roll eyes (sarcastic)

manny321
i have been to the USA a lot, but i rather stay in Canada. they place you grew up on is the place you likely will stay.

I have been to many of the peaceful cities for lest say 2-3 days.

I have been to LA, Seattle, Dallas, Kansas, Miami, Atlanta, San Fransisco, New York, Washington DC, Cleavland, Detroit, Chicago.

Everywhere expect LA, San Fransisco, and Seattle were part of our really long summer drive down to Florida. Went from Toronto down to Detroit went to Chicago, went through the Midwest down to Dallas to Miami. Stayed i think 1 and half weeks and then back up to Atlanta to Washington DC to New york to Cleavland through Buffalo to Toronto. Denver i only stayed for 1 day but loved it. That when going to LAX from Toronto. I'll never visit LA again. Visit your country its worth to see.

Afro Cheese
Don't have the money to travel like that. Only place I ever go these days is North Carolina to see my family. I been to Miami... sucks for the most part, especially if you're under aged. Been to New York and even stayed there for like a week with my grandpa in the Bronx, New york is a cool city.

Lana
Hah, I've hardly traveled everywhere...I live just outside of Chicago, and I've been to Illinois (well duh, I live there), Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Iowa. Oh, and I went to England over my spring break this year...laughing out loud but that's the only place I've been that's more than 400 miles from Chicago.

manny321
you spend one good summer going around.

TrAnCeDuO
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4406821.stm

hey at least we dont go crazy with swords!

GCG
yeah...........

going crazy with guns is better than swords in the US

Next Venom_girl
That's messed up. I don't see how anyone-- man or woman-- could just sit back and take it. Man, it's Karate / Self-defense 101. 1st I'd block their lame @$$ slap. Then there are so many possibilities but always go for a vital point. : the eye poke, the neck gouge, punch in the guts, or kick'em in the shin, arch of foot, or the nuts.
*Pow!* Yelling really loud helps too. It is a tried and true method of martial arts / combat. Think Braveheart. stick out tongue
boxing chair whip bash

If there's a bunch of guys trying to gang up on you, suckerpunch (and try and knock 'em out w/ one punch) and run. Remember Sensei says there is no shame in running- survive to fight another day.
laughing out loud

frodo34x
If that happened to me, I'd get my knife out in a second.

Deano
you'd end up gettin stabbed yourself

frodo34x
Yea, I know I'd end up worse of for it, but that's what I'd probably end up doing.

Originally posted by TrAnCeDuO
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4406821.stm

hey at least we dont go crazy with swords!
*looks at trance's avatar*

Bardock42
Welll....Americans ARE violent......so is everyone else though....the difference is that most other nations don't give guns to 10yr olds......this stuff is pretty sick though.

Jackie Malfoy

Interesting.and people now are very vielote no matter if they are american or not.JM sad

PVS
Originally posted by Bardock42
Welll....Americans ARE violent......so is everyone else though....the difference is that most other nations don't give guns to 10yr olds......

i thought you were above saying something ignorant like this.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>