Why do they call their priests "Father"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jury
While Jesus said, "And call no man your Father..."

debbiejo
You shouldn't call anyone father, like a priest.

Jury
We know of different types of "Fatherhood".

But there is a certain "Fatherhood" did Christ prohibit His people to call to any man.

finti
I call my father for father cause that was what he was....my father, no one else gonna hear those words from me and certainly no clergyman of any kind.

couldnt care less what this jesus forbade, I my self choose what I want to call a man, any man

Storm
Call no man "Father"?

etta_turr
I am an Episcopalian and we call our priests "Father".

I don't think it 'robs the address "Father" of its meaning when applied to God', as stated in the article that Storm linked to. The concept of divine Fatherhood is crap anyway. God is not a man; God has maternal characteristics as well as paternal.

debbiejo
Protestants have a problem with the Catholic religion cause, they call a man father and ask that man to forgive their sins, when that is only Gods job..

Also, the Pope see himself as "Christ on Earth"..To act in the place of Christ...which is a big No No...nono big grin

Capt_Fantastic
I thought only alter boys had to call priests daddy..er, father.

Darth Odious
A priest took an alter boy walking through the woods one dark night.
After a couple of mile through the dense brush, confused and tired, the boy turned to the priest with wide terrified eyes.
" I'm scared father!" he cried.
To this the priest only smiled.
" Your scared? I'm the one who has to walk back alone."
Thank you you a great crowd!
youpi

clappingclaphysterical

Jury
Originally posted by finti
I call my father for father cause that was what he was....my father, no one else gonna hear those words from me and certainly no clergyman of any kind.
Apparently, yes.

However, the "fatherhood" of our biological or natural father is not what Christ prohibited to address or call to any man.

Jury
Originally posted by etta_turr
I am an Episcopalian and we call our priests "Father".

I don't think it 'robs the address "Father" of its meaning when applied to God', as stated in the article that Storm linked to. The concept of divine Fatherhood is crap anyway. God is not a man; God has maternal characteristics as well as paternal.
What is the "fatherhood" of the Catholic priests anyway?

finti
it is up to me to deceide who or whom to call father, biological or not

Jury
yes Yes, fins. It's always up to you.

But for us Christians, it's different.
We respect the commandments and the laws of God and of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jury

lil bitchiness
So how were we meant to refer to our...uum...male mothers?

finti
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzvader-zzzzzzzzz "Luke" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzluke-zzzz.."yes father"...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzvader-zzzz "it is your destiny"..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jury
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
So how were we meant to refer to our...uum...male mothers?
The question is theologically wrong and leading. Since, there's no such thing as "Male Mothers" in theology.

But philosophically speaking, "Male Mothers" can still be considered as "Biological Parenthood", I may suggest.

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by Jury
While Jesus said, "And call no man your Father..."

I think and I may be wrong it is because the prist is under god and therefore is our father or something like that.JM embarrasment

debbiejo
^ The priest says he is God on earth...speaking for Jesus..For him..
only the priest can speak for Jesus...that's what they think.

debbiejo
Originally posted by finti
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzvader-zzzzzzzzz "Luke" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzluke-zzzz.."yes father"...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzvader-zzzz "it is your destiny"..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I guess you've givin this a lot of thought.

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by debbiejo

That does make sence.JM confused

etta_turr
I'm planning to become a priest someday, and my friends and family all say, "Well, since you're a girl, are your parishioners going to call you 'Mother'?"

Jury
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
I think and I may be wrong it is because the prist is under god and therefore is our father or something like that.JM embarrasment
Not just the priests are under God. They were not contented with that position. They should ask for more. smile

Thus, they themselves proclaimed that: the "fatherhood" of the priests is somewhat likened to the "Fatherhood" of God.

This is the USURPATION of the title intended for God alone - the very thing Jesus Christ prohibited to use for any man.

Darth Odious

Jedi Priestess

WOAH what are you smoking? Im Catholic and not only have I never heard this, I dont follow that. I get the biggest kick out of people trying to explain Catholic doctrine when they have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. roll eyes (sarcastic) When I call a priest Father so & so I use it as a title much the same as Mr. or Mrs. or Doctor. Thats it. Some of you people tend to read entirely too much into this stuff.

finti
guess thats what the question was about why they do have father as a title, in Norwegian father has one meaning and one meaning only and that is of the biological kind. They adress catholic priest with the non Norwegian word Pater(kind of avoid the confusion with not using the Norwegian word for father) and then their last name, example the for our local one is Pater Pollestad (probably one of the few married catholich priest, he was a Luteran Evangelic priest and a married one too before he converted to be a catholic, he applied for the posititon and Rome accepted him)

Jury

finti
a follower of christ is as much true as any other followers, only arrogance from those so self righteous who thinks so highly of themselves that their way are a more true and right than the way of others, .............to those self righteous ones get your head out of your own ass and smell reality instead of the crap thats has filled the nostrils and stop putting yourself above other christians

Jedi Priestess
For a true Christian, it matters.

That's more than a little offensive there Jury. Who are you to say who is a true Christian and who is not? blink

Jury
A true Christian obeys God's and Christ's commandments.

Those who are not... of course... FALSE. smile

Jedi Priestess
And you are of course GOD I assume? Since you profess to be the judge and jury here.

Jury
roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
he likes to think so, so maybe he should concentrate more on his own belief and not be so concern of others

debbiejo
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
WOAH what are you smoking? Im Catholic and not only have I never heard this, I dont follow that. I get the biggest kick out of people trying to explain Catholic doctrine when they have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. roll eyes (sarcastic) When I call a priest Father so & so I use it as a title much the same as Mr. or Mrs. or Doctor. Thats it. Some of you people tend to read entirely too much into this stuff.

Sorry, I meant the Pope is speaking as god on earth...And the priests are doing the popes (gods) will...

Jedi Priestess
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Whats with the eye rolling? You post that alot when you are backed into a corner dont you? Finti hit the nail on the head, you seem to think you are the definitive be all, end all when it comes to religion. I wasnt aware I was in the presence of greatness. Perhaps they should have elected you Pope?
roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic)

Jury
And you are of course GOD I assume? Since you profess to be the judge and jury here.
This is how people rebuke reality. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Let's face it. The Pope claims to be God on earth. That's why they call themselves "Father". "Fatherhood" of God.... which was prohibited by our Lord Jesus Christ to call for any man.

smile

Jedi Priestess
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

hysterical hysterical

here's my final word on your comments dearie.......you arent old enough to know what reality is....go live some of your life...and them come back and read the things you babble on about, you really are clueless. roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
What out..were using the "Dearie" word...

Jury
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

hysterical hysterical

here's my final word on your comments dearie.......you arent old enough to know what reality is....go live some of your life...and them come back and read the things you babble on about, you really are clueless. roll eyes (sarcastic)
Catholics call their priests "Father" as "Fatherhood of God in heaven". smile

That is REALITY. roll eyes (sarcastic)

You cannot rebuke it, instead, you made side comments... which are useless in this discussion.

And here's my final words for you, too.

Let's face it, Jedi PRIESTess... you call your priests "Father" as the "Fatherhood of God in heaven"... I am certain to say, with sound biblical, that you disobey Christ's prohibition of not calling any man your "Father".

smile

Capt_Fantastic
Jesus said thou shalt not call any man father? no shit?

Jury
Yes. He prohibited the use of the "Fatherhood of God in heaven" to any man. But He didn't mean to say the FATHERHOOD of our biological parent.

The Catholic priests are called "Father" like the "Fatherhood of God in heaven". They even proclaim that they are the "God on earth."

smile

Jury
PrinceofBlades may answer this one too.

As a Catholic, why do you call your priests "Father"? Didn't Christ prohibit the use of "Father" to call to any man? If you really believe in Christ, why do Catholics tend to ignore this prohibition?

Jury
IGNORANCE indeed.

Storm
Because almost no one is consistent about his/her observance of biblical restrictions and prohibitions.

Jury
Possible. But according to the Bible, even untill the end of time, or Jesus' second advent, there will still be people who will remain faithful and obedient to God's will, and therefore, consistent with Biblical teachings, commandments and prohibitions. These people are the ones who will receive the Life that God had promised them.

PrinceofBlades
And everyone else?

Jury
Yes. And they are not the Catholics. Definitely.

debbiejo
That's wrong...And very narrow.

PrinceofBlades
That doesn't answer my question, and that is an assumtion. And you know what they say about assumptions...

PrinceofBlades
That's wrong...And very narrow.

It defines his character. One who judges, and so he will be judged.

debbiejo
Also, if you look at the scriptures that say many will leave the faith and believe doctrines of demons, it was read by the church BEFORE protestantism. So the Catholics could argue that the protestant faith is the doctrines of demons because they left the faith.

Jury
Im judging no one, Prince. I am reading the Bible. And the Bible is telling me that there will be people (the true followers of Christ, not the Catholics - who are Idolaters... not the Protestants - who refute the importance of the Church) who will approach Him when He comes back... to receive the promise of God.

To remain ON TOPIC, I hereby say that:

The Catholics DISOBEY Jesus when He Himself prohibited His people not to call any man your "Father".

It is a fact, which I presented at the beginning of this thread.
Now refute that fact, Prince, for the sake of argument.
And prove it with much reliable facts - not just a nonsense side-comment.

smile

debbiejo
Jesus said to never call anyone "A fool", so I guess those people are going to hell too.

PrinceofBlades
Im judging no one. I am reading the Bible. And the Bible is telling me that there will be people (the true followers of Christ, not the Catholics - who are Idolaters... not the Protestants - who refute the importance of the Church) who will approach Him when He comes back... to receive the promise of God.

To remain ON TOPIC, I hereby say that:

The Catholics DISOBEY Jesus when He Himself prohibited His people not to call any man your "Father".

It is a fact, which I presented at the beginning of this thread.
Now refute that fact, for the sake of argumant.
And prove it with much reliable facts - not just a nonsense side-comment.

smile

why don't you remove the blinds that shield your eyes from the truth, and seek the truth from both ends.

http://www.catholic.com/library/call_no_man_father.asp

debbiejo
Religion is going to distroy us all I'm afraid. All the rules of I'm right and youre wrong. Everyone pointing their fingers and condemning billions to hell. It's the Muslims too...It's all so wrong...

Jury

PrinceofBlades
Religion is going to distroy us all I'm afraid. All the rules of I'm right and youre wrong. Everyone pointing their fingers and condemning billions to hell. It's the Muslims too...It's all so wrong...

A life we must learn to live. It is not given to us, we must earn it. A life of acceptance, for when we learn to accept are we accepted. A life of education, for when we become educated can we avoid the ignorant. A life of dedication, for until we repay our debt we will never own anything ourselves. When we learn to love, are we loved. Share, and things will be shared. Hate, and we will be hated. Judge, and so shall we be judged. A life of servitutde, is a life shared among slaves. But a life where bonds are shattered, and people live free, is the life of truth and joy.

PrinceofBlades
Prince, I understand if you cannot refute these facts YOUSELF.

I guess you cant read, can you? He used hypebole often which is what he meant be "and you shall call no man Father." Just like he didn't intentially mean for you to pluck your eye out when he said, "If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and throw it away; it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell" (Matt. 5:29) But I guess your a hypocrite since you aren't blind, death, or mute.

Jury
The Church which Christ has founded destroys no one, deb. smile

Nobody can prove what is right without recognizing what is wrong.
For Christians and believers, the basis is the Bible. Only the Bible can tell whether such practice is wrong or not.

When the Bible says it is wrong to call any man your "Father" as the "Fatherhood of God in heaven"... then it is wrong. To say that Catholics prohibited this doesnt mean you judge them. They themselves admitted this (see the facts I have presented).

The facts, which Prince HIMSELF (not the links), should care to refute.

smile

Jury
Originally posted by PrinceofBlades
I guess you cant read, can you?
I guess you, YOURSELF, can't refute the facts I presented, can you?

PrinceofBlades
The Church which Christ has founded destroys no one, deb. smile

Nobody can prove what is right without recognizing what is wrong.
For Christians and believers, the basis is the Bible. Only the Bible can tell whether such practice is wrong or not.

When the Bible says it is wrong to call any man your "Father" as the "Fatherhood of God in heaven"... then it is wrong. To say that Catholics prohibited this doesnt mean you judge them. They themselves admitted this (see the facts I have presented).

The facts, which Prince HIMSELF (not the links), should care to refute.

smile

What's wrong. Because it's not MY link, makes it invalid? If that is the case, than you don't know the meaning of debate. And it becomes a tiering bickerment when some one tries to argue reason with you. You are ignorantm you close your mind to others, and expect others to listen to you.

Jury
In case you want to REFUTE back, Copying and Pasting the information from the link you provided doesn't make sense in this discussion.

It's okay if you do. So I can ask more questions to you. smile

PrinceofBlades
I guess you, YOURSELF, can't refute the facts I presented, can you?

If I cant read, than niether can you. Because I presented you facts, and you refuse to refute them because they are not mine.

PrinceofBlades
In case you want to REFUTE back, Copying and Pasting the information from the link you provided doesn't make sense in this discussion.

It's okay if you do. So I can ask more questions to you. smile

What the heck are you talking about? I gave you a link with the topic header "WHY CATHOLICS CALL PRIEST FATHERS." What's the question to this thread, ummm lets see, "WHY DO CATHOLICS CALL THEIR PRIESTS FATHERS?" If you ask me, I think it's a perfect match.

Jury
What's wrong. Because it's not MY link, makes it invalid? If that is the case, than you don't know the meaning of debate. And it becomes a tiering bickerment when some one tries to argue reason with you. You are ignorantm you close your mind to others, and expect others to listen to you.
The Link ou provided cannot argue with me. I can only read it and nothing else will happen.

That's why I am asking you that it is better for the sake of argument that you YOURSELF should REFUTE.

PrinceofBlades
The Link ou provided cannot argue with me. I can only read it and nothing else will happen.

That's why I am asking you that it is better for the sake of argument that you YOURSELF should REFUTE.

If I were to say my refutation, you still would do nothing. I presented you the case of hyperbole. And how Christ used those in conjunction with his teaching. Tell me, are you blind?

Jury
I am the first one who posted FACTS. Not my own comments, NOT also yours. They are FACTS, Prince. And those FACTS come from YOUR OWN BELIEF.

So, instead of giving me the link. Post your arguments here.

PrinceofBlades
I am the first one who posted FACTS. Not my own comments, NOT also yours. They are FACTS, Prince. And those FACTS come from YOUR OWN BELIEF.

So, instead of giving me the link. Post your arguments here.

ARE YOU BLIND???

Jury
I will leave you a question.

WHAT IS THE "FATHERHOOD" of the Catholic priest?

PrinceofBlades
I will leave you a question.

WHAT IS THE "FATHERHOOD" of the Catholic priest?

Answer my question first.

Jury
I am not blind Prince. Check the first pages where I posted those FACTS, several days or weeks ago.

Jury
And you only posted a LINK just today.

PrinceofBlades
I am not blind Prince. Check the first pages where I posted those FACTS, several days or weeks ago.

I was there this post came out.
Are you mute, deaf, or disabled in any way shape or form?

PrinceofBlades
And you only posted a LINK just today.

There's a first time for everything.

Jury

PrinceofBlades

Jury
I already asked, just answer ...

and got to go. smile Think of your answer. Take your time, if you're in dire need of it.

PrinceofBlades
I already asked, just answer ...

and got to go. smile Think of your answer. Take your time, if you're in dire need of it.

I have my answer, I'll wait to tell you tomorrow.

Storm
Possible. But according to the Bible, even untill the end of time, or Jesus' second advent, there will still be people who will remain faithful and obedient to God's will, and therefore, consistent with Biblical teachings, commandments and prohibitions. These people are the ones who will receive the Life that God had promised them.

Although fundamentalists like to regard themselves as heirs of original Christianity, this is not an accurate view because fundamentalism has emphasized certain doctrines which were never very important within the Christian tradition and which do not appear to have played any particular role in the early church.

Yes. And they are not the Catholics. Definitely.
I' m afraid you' ll drop out as well.

debbiejo
Hmmmmm...Maybe I'll look up the "True Church", Church of Christ...and find some fallacies to post as well.

Among other things, this movement
has a prideful, elitist attitude,
frequently engages in dishonest recruitment practices,
has a heavy-handed approach to authority
employs a controversial discipling system, and
misrepresents the Bible's teachings regarding grace, baptism, and salvation

A friend of mines wife attended a church of Christ and is it true that they post your tithing or giving to the church on a public board? If so, that is a form of manipulation.

BackFire
It's a sex thing between priests and little children. Having everyone call him "daddy" would be too awkward, and is only allowed during "private sessions" with young children, so they have to dress it up for the public by using the term "father"

PrinceofBlades
Thanks Backfire fr morally killing the convo erm

BackFire
It had to be done.

Jury
Hmmmmm...Maybe I'll look up the "True Church", Church of Christ...and find some fallacies to post as well.

Among other things, this movement
has a prideful, elitist attitude,
frequently engages in dishonest recruitment practices,
has a heavy-handed approach to authority
employs a controversial discipling system, and
misrepresents the Bible's teachings regarding grace, baptism, and salvation

A friend of mines wife attended a church of Christ and is it true that they post your tithing or giving to the church on a public board? If so, that is a form of manipulation.
Hmmmmm... You are describing a NOT "True Church of Christ", deb.

The True Church which Christ has founded never enforced "TITHING" to the members.

PrinceofBlades
Hmmmmm... You are describing a NOT "True Church of Christ", deb.

The True Church which Christ has founded never enforced "TITHING" to the members.

Your information isn't true catholic support. Doesn't change the fact you still claim it is.

Jury
Your information isn't true catholic support. Doesn't change the fact you still claim it is.
Not true Catholic Support?

Ok. So, Rev. Leslie Rumble (a Catholic Priest), author of Another Thousand Radio Replies, who once said: and also who proclaims that:
was telling a lie. Is that it?

The books "Radio Replies" have IMPRIMATURS from Catholic authorities. So, don't they have Catholic support?

Since you don't believe in one of your priests who proclaimed that the "Fatherhood" of the priests is the Fatherhood of God in heaven, I may ask you then Prince:

Is the Fatherhood of God in heaven also the Fatherhood of the Catholic priests? What do you think? Yes or No.

PrinceofBlades
"...Martrydom is no exception. For martrydom is the sacrifise from man to God. But the mass is the sacrifise from God to man." Cur'd Ars.

The priest does not change the words to "And he said take this...this was his body...this was his blood." But rather they keep it as if we were still in calvary. Because when we participate in the mass we are talking part of that even that happened 2,000 years ago. And there is only one person who can ever relive that sacrifise and that is God. So I believe that at a certain point of the mass, Christ enters the priest and makes his sacrifise new again. Just like Christ enters the priest during reconciliation. That is my belief. So to answer your question, Is the Fatherhood of God in Heaven also the Fatherhood of the Catholic Priest? No, it's even better. Because God must transpire through Humans to achieve a goal. But to be God in heven, he can do that alone...

debbiejo
pokey

Jury
"...Martrydom is no exception. For martrydom is the sacrifise from man to God. But the mass is the sacrifise from God to man." Cur'd Ars.

The priest does not change the words to "And he said take this...this was his body...this was his blood." But rather they keep it as if we were still in calvary. Because when we participate in the mass we are talking part of that even that happened 2,000 years ago. And there is only one person who can ever relive that sacrifise and that is God. So I believe that at a certain point of the mass, Christ enters the priest and makes his sacrifise new again. Just like Christ enters the priest during reconciliation. That is my belief. So to answer your question, Is the Fatherhood of God in Heaven also the Fatherhood of the Catholic Priest? No, it's even better. Because God must transpire through Humans to achieve a goal. But to be God in heven, he can do that alone...
And where did the Mass originated?
So you mean that the priest can be BETTER than the Fatherhood of God?
In what aspect?

PrinceofBlades
And where did the Mass originated?
So you mean that the priest can be BETTER than the Fatherhood of God?
In what aspect?

It orginated on Calvary, the night Christ transfigurated the bread and wine into his body and Blood. And I didn't say the priest way was better, I said God's way was better. Look at how you asked the question.

Jury
It orginated on Calvary, the night Christ transfigurated the bread and wine into his body and Blood. And I didn't say the priest way was better, I said God's way was better. Look at how you asked the question.
Oh, okay. So, may I rephrase my question now?

WHAT is the Fatherhood of the Catholic priest?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.