metal gear solid or splinter cell?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

davm17
whats up with thats?dudes

davm17
whats your opinion?

SnakeEyes
Well as far as I know, they are both games...

WindDancer
Splinter Cell feels more realistic. Whereas Snake is more like a super soldier type. I prefer SC over MGS any time.

dave123
Splinter is by far more realistic.... but MGS - particularly more so MGS1 - is more fun

BackFire
Spliter Cell sucks, too many restrictions. "oh, you killed someone, you have to start the level over" - Stupid.

MG is infinitely better, seeing as they actually let you play how you want.

dave123
Yeah, pisses me off when they give you a gun with like.... 120 rounds, then they say "Remember Sam, don't actually kill anyone"... complete waste of time.

ChickinMeat
my friend says "Splinter Cell is the poor mans Metal Gear Solid", and i say back to him "It may be the poor mans Metal Gear Solid, but its a real mans stealth game"

I like them both, but as im a stealth game junkie, i have to go with splinter cell, as Metal gear is much more of an action game.

i got a magazine comparing MGS3 to SC:CT, if i get bored i might type it down

BackFire
Metal gear can be just as much a stealth game if you choose to play it that way. That's the great thing about that game, you can actually choose how you want to complete an objective. None of this stupid "don't let anyone see you, if someone sees you the mission is over". In MG, if someone sees you, it's up to you to keep him from calling for back up and all that. SC has absolutely nothing on MG.

ChickinMeat
thats your opinion son, its still up to you if someone calls for backup in SC, if you deal with them quick enough theres no problem.

In SC if you make a slight noise the enemy hears you, in metal gear i ran full pelt about a meter behind someone and they didnt hear, in my opinion thats why i prefere SC, its more challenging. but i am a stealth junkie, so the more stealth it is, the more i like it.

Like i love the theif games.

dave123
Originally posted by BackFire
Metal gear can be just as much a stealth game if you choose to play it that way. That's the great thing about that game, you can actually choose how you want to complete an objective. None of this stupid "don't let anyone see you, if someone sees you the mission is over". In MG, if someone sees you, it's up to you to keep him from calling for back up and all that. SC has absolutely nothing on MG. Amen

pr1983
Originally posted by BackFire
Metal gear can be just as much a stealth game if you choose to play it that way. That's the great thing about that game, you can actually choose how you want to complete an objective. None of this stupid "don't let anyone see you, if someone sees you the mission is over". In MG, if someone sees you, it's up to you to keep him from calling for back up and all that. SC has absolutely nothing on MG.

Double amen...

jaden101
out of splinter cell and metal gear solid...i still prefer syphon filter...and yes...that was meant

dark1365
Splinter Cell. Mostly because of CT.

Hell yeah, WindDancer. I salute you, sir.

WindDancer
Why would I want so much ammunition in a stealth game? This isn't a FPS game. These games are about stealth action not full frontal assault like MGS tends to be. And what is this about the enemy spotting you in SC? The missions aren't over immediatly. The enemy usually looks around and if there is more than two guards one will hit the alarm and you get a chance to stunt or kill the guards. But you're not suppose to be spot. Thats why the gamer uses and realies on stealth so that you won't be spotted. If you keep getting spotted by the guards then either you don't know how to play the game or you keep thinking this is a assault combat game. SC is far more challenging than MGS do to its delicated stealth missions. If you just want to shoot down guards and blow things up then go for MGS. Me, I prefer the challenge of SC anytime.

BackFire
If you want to be challenged and forced to play "stealthy", try MG on the hardest difficulty. Just as challenging as SC is, and you have to be just as smart in your completion of objectives, if not more so. Again, the great thing about MG is that you can choose to play it stealthy if you wish, and it will offer just as rewarding experience as SC, or, if you want, you can run and gun and kill everything you see, as long as you can keep it quiet enough not to get more attention then you can handle. It's up the the player to decide how he wants to complete an objective, and you're never forced to play through a level a certain way.

As far as I'm concerned, it's sloppy game design to do this "the second you're spotted, you lose" or "if you kill anyone on this level, you lose, oh, and here's an awesome gun just to tempt you more so" . I respect the options available in MG games, I don't enjoy being forced to play a game a certain way, if I'm playing and I get teh urge to kill a bunch of people, I want to be able to do that. Likewise, if I feel like being stealthy, I want to be able to do that as well. Forcing players to play a certain way, and ending a level immediately when they don't play that particular shows me that the makers of SC don't have anywhere near the talent and skill that the MG creators do. And the gameplay reflects this.

As a friend of mine says about SC "Oh, you were having fun in this level, game over". Very true statement.

WindDancer
But saying that if you want to be stealthier in MGS you have to play on the difficult mode it just takes away the notion that MGS is a stealth game. In SC you get to be stealthier whether on easy, normal or hard. The fact that you cannot kill civilians in SC makes it more challenging to complete and makes it feel more realistic. The basis of SC is to be as stealthier as possible so that you won't be caught. In a certain way you get to be a ghost-like character. You enter a building, complete the mission and leave no trace.

SC just like any other game gives you rules to play each chapter. Your freedom at times gets limited, but you also understand thats how the mission must be accomplish. Killing is not object of the game. The object is to complete the mission as quiet as possible. That's the beauty of SC to be able to be so good at sneaking behind enemies rather than just to kill them.

shangheid
I think that MGS is by far the better game smile

BackFire
Originally posted by WindDancer
But saying that if you want to be stealthier in MGS you have to play on the difficult mode it just takes away the notion that MGS is a stealth game. In SC you get to be stealthier whether on easy, normal or hard. The fact that you cannot kill civilians in SC makes it more challenging to complete and makes it feel more realistic. The basis of SC is to be as stealthier as possible so that you won't be caught. In a certain way you get to be a ghost-like character. You enter a building, complete the mission and leave no trace.

SC just like any other game gives you rules to play each chapter. Your freedom at times gets limited, but you also understand thats how the mission must be accomplish. Killing is not object of the game. The object is to complete the mission as quiet as possible. That's the beauty of SC to be able to be so good at sneaking behind enemies rather than just to kill them.

Well, you can be stealthy in MGS on easy mode if you want to, the difference is you aren't forced to. You can kill things if you want to, o r you can sneak around without being seen. It's entirely up to the player to decide how he wants to handle something. The game is just as stealthy as SC if you wish to play it that way, or you can go rambo on everyones ass if you want. Freedom and options is always better then forced gameplay.

I really don't like being forced to play a certain way, it's a very dated way to make a game. sometimes I like to be able to just screw around and kill as much shit as possible, even if it means failing the mission, I'd still like to be able to do it if I feel like it. SC doens't allow this, if you're playing a mission, and kill someone you weren't supposed to, the mission ends instantly and you restart, it would be nice if a message just said "mission failed" and you were given the option to continue playing or restart.

dave123
And the characters are much more likeable and less serious in MGS.... funny at times big grin

ChickinMeat
man, this thread just reminded me how badly i need to get Metal Gear Solid 3 and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory!

my stealth withdrawl symptoms are kicking in!

barand1
SPLINTER CELL any day!

x-box fanatic
splinter cell the original or metel gear original

x-box fanatic
what splinter cell are we talking about here

Ketchuptome
The new ones..The Spinter Cell from the game

jplatinum
Metal gear wins easy.
Snake and cyber ninja alone could take everyone in splinter cell.

leonheartmm
splinter cell is a shitty game in my book, any 1 of the metal gear solids{particlurly mgs1} can take it on anyday n win bu a huge margin

mr.smiley
mgs.
the gameplay is more versital.
the story is twenty million times better.
the characters have persoanlitys

chronic
splinter cell gets to boring after playing it.so mgs is totally better and snake could woop sam

Goldenskull777
Are you joking? Splinter Cell? Better? evil face No, Metal Geat Solid has Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better plot.

riddick65
chronic is right i agree with him

Bluberman!
Man,you can be really stealthy in MGS3.I mean S.E.A.L.s stealthy,as in you kill everyone in the area in 30 seconds with a sniper rifle and a pistol,where as in SCPT,you have to beat 3/4ths of the first mission just to kill a person or trigger an alarm,AND mission impossible: operation surma pwns SC in my book,cuz it's easier,it's got a bit of a mgs feel when you get a pistol,and you get wasp cams,which rock wink

ZomBiE_HunTER
I would pick MGS any day. I love the stealth in the game and how theres alot of easter eggs in the game. I really love the cutscences in the game there so touching and dramatic. Sc has alot of gilthes that just ruins the experiment for me.

splintercell
SPLINTER CELL ALL THE WAY IT TEACHES YOU TO USE THE STEALTH ELEMENTS NOT GO AROUND AND KILL EVERY ONE U SEE OH THEY ONLY GIVE SAM 60 BULLETS FOR HIS SC-20K AND 40 FOR HIS PISTOL SO ITS 100 ROUND OF AMMO NOW I AGREE IT CAN BE FRUSTERATING BUT THEN AGAIN MGS IS FUN BUT SPLINTER CELL WINS MY VOTE JUST LOOK AT MY NAME LOL

Goldenskull777
Originally posted by splintercell
SPLINTER CELL ALL THE WAY IT TEACHES YOU TO USE THE STEALTH ELEMENTS NOT GO AROUND AND KILL EVERY ONE U SEE OH THEY ONLY GIVE SAM 60 BULLETS FOR HIS SC-20K AND 40 FOR HIS PISTOL SO ITS 100 ROUND OF AMMO NOW I AGREE IT CAN BE FRUSTERATING BUT THEN AGAIN MGS IS FUN BUT SPLINTER CELL WINS MY VOTE JUST LOOK AT MY NAME LOL

Ok fine I will give you that. They do give you 100 bullets but the CIA level, where you find the rifle. Don't shoot anyone Sam. I mean COME ON.

mr.smiley
plus,sam is suppose to be stealty,yet he wears those huge ass goggles which ammit bright,green light.

ScarFace Clone
Mgs takes this one no contest. there is like no story line to SC. mgs is so much better and that is not just an opinion that is a fact!

ScarFace Clone
Sam fisher is older then my dad!

ScarFace Clone
Sam Fisher is that dad from the saturn commercial. you know that dad who teaches his son to through a perfect pass!

splintercell
yea its can get annoying but still its a good game

Doctor Strange
Tom Clancy sucks. The books and the games. Metal gear wins!

Shin_akuma
are you guys crazy ? splinter cell is more realistic but if everything is realistic then what is a game ? non fiction is not as good as fiction is it ? come on man what are you guys thinking mgs beats sc twenty times over it has better story more charector build up and perosonallity where as sam fisher is just sam Snake is not just snake he's more then that he's a person if everythign was realistic then games wouldn't be as good as they are

WHAT ??????what did you say that sc stealth is better then mgs stealth ? you can choose to kill everyone but you don't have to the stealth is the best element in mgs I mean different camouflage come on it was great in splinter cell you always happen to be in dark areas hmm there's no such thing as day time in that game huh or lights for that matter even if there is 95 % of the lights in sc are all taker outerable so the stealth in mgs is more refined and polished then black every whrer

ScarFace Clone
Yes..... Also sam Fisher is older then my dad. dose that mean my dad is stealthy because he can get up in the middle of the night and get something to drink in the dark and then go back to bed without my mom noticing?

ScarFace Clone
thats what i thought! fagots!

ScarFace Clone
no one can say anything because they know i am right!

TMACalicious
Solid Snake'll OWN Sam Fisher's ass any day in a 1on1 stealth showdown.

Personally, I'm a die-hard fan of the MGS franchise, but that doesn't mean i don't enjoy the SC franchise either, which is pretty good as well.

Hooverman
hells yeah mgs all the way except for the 2nd one rock

Hooverman
hells yeah TMACalicious
cool

Zen2nd
Wouldn't it be a bit stupid for Sam to go during the day?

Strange, most lights in real life can also be taking out with a bullet

You make a weak statement, this proves that Sam is smarter, as who would infiltrate a base during day time?

But I prefer Metal Gear Solid, because it is more interesting to play as there is traps all over the place and the cool boss battles that happen through out the game. Also if anyone remembers the glitch with Merlys pants on the original MGS?

Hooverman
wat glitch? huh

Zen2nd
The glitch happens twice in the game where you see Meryl without her pants on and she isn't wearing anything else. Silly her!

Hooverman
never saw that one before but then again i never got 2 finish the first one i was so close but i never was able 2

Hooverman
how did it work?

))TrAuMa((
Snake would own.... Sam has grey hair!

Hooverman
yeah i know

Hooverman
Originally posted by ))TrAuMa((
Snake would own.... Sam has grey hair!

not that i'm on sam's side but people can get grey hair at young ages when they r through large amounts of stress which probably is y Raiden from mgs2 has grey hair

the-unforgiven
sam vs snake.. er.. sam? big grin i only played a little mgs but what i know sam is more proffesional, stronger and smarter. with our without guns.

))TrAuMa((
almost buddy! you think sam is stronger you havent played numer 3 snake eater. snake takes some serius tourcher and does not break!

Hooverman
Originally posted by the-unforgiven
sam vs snake.. er.. sam? big grin i only played a little mgs but what i know sam is more proffesional, stronger and smarter. with our without guns.
well if u haven't played much of metal gear then u need 2 play more of it then come back here and see wat ur opinion is

))TrAuMa((
yeah and snake is so smart when it comes to tactical espionage action.... plus CQC!

Hooverman
yeah and snake is so smart when it comes to tactical espionage action.... plus CQC!
actually Master came up with CQC by the way wasn't his master(in the first mgs for playstation) a guy and in the prequel (snake eater) it was a girl wtf is up with that

pr1983
Originally posted by Hooverman
actually Master came up with CQC by the way wasn't his master(in the first mgs for playstation) a guy and in the prequel (snake eater) it was a girl wtf is up with that

snake in mgs 1 is not the same snake thats in snake eater...

jaden101

do you mean master mcdonell miller from MGS1

snake from MGS1 on the ps1...he had 3 masters/trainers...big boss (the guy you play through snake eater as)...mcdonell miller and grey fox

))TrAuMa((
Yeah^

Hooverman
Originally posted by pr1983
snake in mgs 1 is not the same snake thats in snake eater...
yes he is if not then how

))TrAuMa((
there is this thing called a clone! maybe you have herd of them?

DarkCrawler
yes he is if not then how

I thought that the Snake in SE was the Big Boss. I mean, Revolver Ocelot is a bit younger then Snake, but in the MGS1 and MGS2 he is older then the Snake in them.

Hooverman
there is this thing called a clone! maybe you have herd of them?
yeah but liquid is a clone and doesn't look exactly like snake

Hooverman
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
I thought that the Snake in SE was the Big Boss. I mean, Revolver Ocelot is a bit younger then Snake, but in the MGS1 and MGS2 he is older then the Snake in them.
i didn't think about that good point

Wanderer259
Yes he does. As far as appearances go, the only differences are their hair styles, hair colors, eye colors, and clothing.

CorderaMitchell
good post.

))TrAuMa((
exactly! play number one and look at liquid.

Hooverman
well u really can't make out many features in that game but i see ur point i'll stand down now

b-dan
what msg are tlaking about

b-dan
but snake would kill sam

Hooverman
Originally posted by b-dan
what msg are tlaking about
the first one and try 2 use edit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.