Where is Padme's Connection to Leia????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

EjkoUSC
This is the most overwhelming error in the film if you ask me. Leia has a connection that Luke doesn't have. Yet in the script and the novel there is no extra shared moment between Leia and Padme. In fact she even goes so far as to touch Luke but not Leia. JW Titus's novel handles the scene far more emotionally and brilliantly. SWhe gives birth to Leia, touches her, names her then dies. And immediately after her death the Droid brings around Luke. And Obi-Wan is left to improvise his name. So he calls him Luke.

This bonds Obi-Wan and Luke more
Justifies Leia's connection to Padme
Adds tragedy if Padme dies before seeing her son.

Why the hell wouldnt this have occured to Lucas? Is he on drugs? He better have adjusted this scene in the last reshoots and cuts. Those occured before the script and book were printed out for publishing (I think and hope). Anyone know if the script is EXACTLY as the final cut is? Well some of you will pass of your opinions for being "in the know" but humor me.

DCLXVI
I agree. But it will never be so.

lucasfilm
bail told her of padme. she was told by eveyone around her.. it was just put into her brain.. like if you had people telling you that one year when you were two, you wore "the cutest little striped shirt for your birthday"... you dont remmeber it, but over time, you learn to accept it and make up your own memory of it.

thats how it is IMO

Xam
i think u need a beer

cuz i do

Mist
all these silly questions floating around..

theres about a month and a half left. go outside, get some fresh air and just wait for the frickn movie to come out.

you wont get any definite answers before then.

lucasfilm
^^ ROFL

jedimaster2000
I agree with Lucasfilm. Think about it, Leia grew up with Bail Organa, Luke grew up with Owen and Beru Lars. Bail was one of Padme's closest friends, while Owen and Beru barely even knew Padme.

fezster
Originally posted by Mist
all these silly questions floating around..

theres about a month and a half left. go outside, get some fresh air and just wait for the frickn movie to come out.

you wont get any definite answers before then.

LOL amen to that

Sadako of Girth
Leia has a force connection as Luke does... And as Yoda says, you can see things, people and places from in the future and in the past..
If not... Maybe its Genetic memory... But either way, I agree that this doesn't appear to be explained in the Novel/Spoilers of ROTS....

mephistodesigns
it may just be impressions in the force too. Because Luke lands on Dagobah and says there's something familiar about this place. I think he's refering to a familiarity he feels that, unconciously, is him recognizing Yoda's "aura" "impression" whatever, in the force. Perhaps Leia experiences something similar.

mephistodesigns
And I'm still not convinced that line about her mother is about Padme. Unlike Luke retaining the Skywalker name, thus allowing him to know he is adopted, Leia was raised with the Organa last name, perhaps she still thinks her mother is Bail's wife.

macgeek2005
How accurate is the Novel? I was hoping to find out more about how anakin was concieved. The way Shmi says "I can't explain what happened" leaves me very curious. It's not just a plain "I can't explain what happened". Theres something else in it. He has to have some connection to that in ROTS.

hazkid
actually, padme does manage to say

PADME:"if its a girl...name her leia"
MED DROID:"its a boy"
PADME:"luke..."
MED DROID: "and a girl"
PADME: xxxxxx(she's dead)

Batman316
maybe Leia was just wrong? lots of people possess false memories of childhood.

*shrugs

Mist
maybe GL will release another DVD special edition....and just dub those lines out big grin

DCLXVI
mephisto> But Luke says, "Your real mother", as in, not Bail's wife. wink

Batman316
but did Leia know at the time that Bails wife was not her 'real' mother? I always assumed she knew she was adopted but maybe she always considered Bails wife her real mother and Bail her real father.

Remember Luke tells her that she is his sister after he asks about her real mother. So maybe Bail's wifey died when Leia was still a baby?

DCLXVI
But that doesn't make sense....
Or does it?

Mist
has bails wife ever been seen in the movie?

he talks about her in the comics....but i dont think i remember her...

Batman316
Originally posted by Mist
has bails wife ever been seen in the movie?

he talks about her in the comics....but i dont think i remember her...

But Leia does smokin'

LanİeWindu™
Originally posted by lucasfilm
bail told her of padme. she was told by eveyone around her.. it was just put into her brain.. like if you had people telling you that one year when you were two, you wore "the cutest little striped shirt for your birthday"... you dont remmeber it, but over time, you learn to accept it and make up your own memory of it.

thats how it is IMO

I completely disagree.

Remember Leia is a force adept too, she didn't know it, but she was. I think when Leia is born she sees Padme before she dies and that image stays with her the rest of her life, remember Leia said that her mom "looked sad" IE she knew she was going to die soon. Luke maybe never got a chance to glance at Padme.

mephistodesigns
Originally posted by Batman316
but did Leia know at the time that Bails wife was not her 'real' mother? I always assumed she knew she was adopted but maybe she always considered Bails wife her real mother and Bail her real father.

Remember Luke tells her that she is his sister after he asks about her real mother. So maybe Bail's wifey died when Leia was still a baby?

EXACTLY! Because Bail's wife would be sad to. The galaxy is in turmoil, the Republic she no doubt loves as much as Bail has been swept away. And a good family friend is dead, her daughter a constant reminder of the loss. Bail's wife would look just as sad.

It could honestly mean either, maybe it is impressions in the force. But its just as plausible that Leia doesn't understand the question. Its not like she goes by the name Leia Skywalker... she goes by Organa. Bottom line: Lucas needs to clear this up one way or another. Its just too vague.

EjkoUSC
Guys...some of you are missing the point. What does Luke ask Leia?

"Do you remember your mother. Your REAL mother?"

Why would Luke ask it like that? As opposed to her fake mother? Yes Precisely. I imagine somewhere in their long relationship prior to ROTJ, Luke and Leia talked about their parents. at least their fake parents. Do you ever ask you friends, "So whats up with your mother? Your REAL mother?" You could only ask that if you knew they had an adoptive parent. Somewhere along the lines Bail told Leia that she was adopted.

Think of it. Otherwise when Luke tells her they are bro and sis she'd be like "what are you smoking? My dad is Bail and my mom is (whomever). Go eff yourself" She could only embrace it so quickly if she knew she was adopted.

And how much of an effort would it have taken for Lucas to reinforce the Leia/Padme moment in the script/film? 15 seconds more? Just a little wink. Just a little nudge.

I swear. Some of you pretend to know Star Wars but you ignore highlighted pieces of information from the movies you claim to understand.

LanİeWindu™
I still have hope there is a scene with Padme looking upon Leia...it's something he may throw in there for us, it could be a surprise. Not in the novel, or comics, just the movie, a quick look is all I need!

Batman316
Originally posted by EjkoUSC
I swear. Some of you pretend to know Star Wars but you ignore highlighted pieces of information from the movies you claim to understand.

hmm....... yet another smart one wink

Leia replies "I know, somehow I've always known"

Seems to me like she's always questioned her parents and her heretige. Like a feeling of not really belonging. The scene between her and Luke is not a great earth shattering announcement to here. Just confirmation, she merely accepts what she's subconsciously known all along.

There is no indication anywhere that she even knew she was adopted and we can't simply assume that fact.

In that scene from ROTJ I always got the impression that Leia spent some time with her mother, enough for her to remember. Yet we know that Padme dies moments after giving birth

So it is simply not logical for Padme to be the mother Leia remembers. Though all it takes is for a single glance between mother and daughter I doubt we will get it.

A baby who is only a minute old would seriously be struggling to remember what her mother looks like.... considering it takes a few weeks for a baby to actually be able to focus, let alone tell a sad face from a happy one.

LanİeWindu™
Originally posted by Batman316
A baby who is only a minute old would seriously be struggling to remember what her mother looks like.... considering it takes a few weeks for a baby to actually be able to focus, let alone tell a sad face from a happy one.

Like I said, Leia has the Force, and that could somehow translate into helping her memory, even from child birth. There's no indication to say otherwise, it's just my theory afterall.

Batman316
Luke: Leia....do you remember your mother? your real mother?

Leai: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young

Luke: What do you remember?

Leia: Just... images, really. Feelings ]

Luke: Tell me.

Leia: (a little suprised at his insistance) She was very beautiful. Kind but..... (looks up) sad. Why are you asking me this?

He is looking away

Luke: I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

To me this is Luke thinking that Leia had actually lived with their mother....their 'true mother' He has the force too yet possesses no memory of her, no images, no feelings. He obviously has no idea what happens to Padme and is perhaps a little jealous that Leia got to live with their 'true mother'

If GL is going to answer this question he's going to be pushing it with just a fleeting glance.....

DeVi| D0do
^ I agree

Red Superfly
Definitely I think the fact that Luke is born first is also absolutely baffling.

When I heard that Padme dies, I immediately thought "well that means, in order for it to work on even the SMALLEST level, Leia should be born first".

The best way would have been to have Leia born first, been with Padme for at least a minute or so, and then maybe Luke is born a few seconds before she dies, long enough for her to name him.

I mean, the fact that Leia would have force-sensed her would have been good enough for me. The fact that Leia would have felt Padmes pain and sadness through the birth of Luke and her death would have made sense, on a force-level. But nowit's just a bit, well, pushing it, I think.

*gets bored talking about George Lucas' ineptitude with logic*

I wouldn't be surprised that by the time of the movie and all of the little changes have been done, if Jar Jar is performing the delivery and accidentally "hilariously" kills Padme, and Luke has to slice his own way out of Padme with a lightsaber.

morgan01
you posted the dialogue yet still do not get the point... if i am going to ask you about your mother... i am not going to say i mean your REAL mother... why would that be in the script? it means Luke knows she was adopted. If he didn't think she was adopted he would say your mother, i mean well your mother what do u remember? not REAL

and for you to try to detail it that maybe Bail's wife died when she was young and she didn't kno and Bail's wife would have been sad etc. no that is such a weak fight. Seeing that scene after seeing Padme' means more now, she was beautiful, yet sad... Padme' is beautiful and at the time that a force connection will occur Padme' will be very sad. And just because the spoilers and novel has luke being born 1st etc means nothing. The movie is not out yet so stop getting po'ed that you think its not going to be right or make sense. See the movie relax!! then if there is a mistake you can go right ahead an complain here smile.

sorry i am so tired of this topic, everyone looks a little to deep into it and will not accept the simple answer.

DARTH DADDY
I think this will be the biggest blunder of the SW Saga. I think most people at the time of ROTJ would have agreed that Luke was meaning their real mother, and that Leia knew what he was talking about. Then we hear that mommy dies in ROTS. Unless this is just a huge cover and she doesn't die, this IMHO is a big biff. I hope there will still be at least 30min. of movie left to get that bad taste out of our mouths...cause the rest of the movie will ROCK!!!

vader519
Leia coonections with Padme is through the force. Once she touchers her on the head, Leia will feel that connection, and remember Padme through the force. We discuss this topic already.

Sadako of Girth
"I wouldn't be surprised that by the time of the movie and all of the little changes have been done, if Jar Jar is performing the delivery and accidentally "hilariously" kills Padme, and Luke has to slice his own way out of Padme with a lightsaber."-RSF

ROFLMAO Yeah and wouldn't it be a terrible shame if said Gungan "midwife" should then slip on the placenta, falling (hysterically) on to the scalpel tray lacerating several arteries in his ass dying slowly in true Buckwheats fashion....?

mephistodesigns
Originally posted by morgan01
you posted the dialogue yet still do not get the point... if i am going to ask you about your mother... i am not going to say i mean your REAL mother... why would that be in the script? it means Luke knows she was adopted. If he didn't think she was adopted he would say your mother, i mean well your mother what do u remember? not REAL

and for you to try to detail it that maybe Bail's wife died when she was young and she didn't kno and Bail's wife would have been sad etc. no that is such a weak fight. Seeing that scene after seeing Padme' means more now, she was beautiful, yet sad... Padme' is beautiful and at the time that a force connection will occur Padme' will be very sad. And just because the spoilers and novel has luke being born 1st etc means nothing. The movie is not out yet so stop getting po'ed that you think its not going to be right or make sense. See the movie relax!! then if there is a mistake you can go right ahead an complain here smile.

sorry i am so tired of this topic, everyone looks a little to deep into it and will not accept the simple answer.

look, I think YOU seem to be missing the point. WE KNOW how the birth scene works, it in the comics/novel adaptations. And here's the thing, as that scene stands now, it is entirely unlikely that Leia COULD remember he real mother since she dies only a moment or two after her birth. Now if Lucas would just come out and say "its a force impression" I'd say Oh, ok cool. But as the scene stands now, it does not make sense if Leia is supposed to understand the question Luke poses to her. But go read the script again, Luke drops the Vader's my dad and you're my sister bomb AFTER he askes the question, not before. So we cannot assume Leia knows shes adopted because a hypothetical getting to know each others back story had NOT been ON FILM. There is NO WAY as the scene in ROTS currently stands that Leia CLEARLY remembers her mother, especially her appearance, because, as someone else pointed out, it takes a couple weeks for their eyes to even focus.

So quote the script all you want, we ALL know the OT word for word on this forum, we've all done our own analysis of the topic, its not like we just pull opinions out of our asses here. We know what the lines are, however, the context STILL doesn't make sense as both scenes currently stand.

vader519
Dude this is star wars, not reality. They have the force, Leia feels the connection. They show Leia to Pade after she is born, and they try to get her to hold her but she is too weak. C'mon we all know that babies can't see for a couple of weeks. This is a movie. I really don't if this is explained, I think we all know that Leia feels the connection to her mother by the force, and that fine with me. It really is not a big deal.

Joseph_Kerr
It's probably an error and that's what it is... an error.. give the man a break. My gosh, he writes 4-6 without 1-3 being written. He changes the relationship of Vader and Luke in 5. He changes the relationship of Luke and Leia in 6. He crunches 6-9 into 6. Scratches the first trilogy of Mace Windu and makes it Anakin Skywalker's story. I like to see some of you make those dramatic changes in your story telling and keep it consistent when you haven't even written the first trilogy yet.

Give him a break. wink

vader519
I agree with you, if it is an error, then okay. I really do not see why this is such a big problem, it does ot bother me one bit.

Red Superfly
Originally posted by Joseph_Kerr
It's probably an error and that's what it is... an error.. give the man a break. My gosh, he writes 4-6 without 1-3 being written. He changes the relationship of Vader and Luke in 5. He changes the relationship of Luke and Leia in 6. He crunches 6-9 into 6. Scratches the first trilogy of Mace Windu and makes it Anakin Skywalker's story. I like to see some of you make those dramatic changes in your story telling and keep it consistent when you haven't even written the first trilogy yet.

Give him a break. wink

People find it hard to forgive him due to the fact he has close to an army's worth of people working on the damn thing. It should be perfect considerring the production values.

And, in case you haven't noticed, the new Trilogy is NOT consistent enough with the old Trilogy, hence the reason why so many fans are still dissapointed. The fact that this thread even exists, with people debating over the very story itself and how it is unclear, shows how much of a failure Lucas has made of keeping things consistent. Consistency should be immediately apparent, and was entirely possible, but Lucas has somehow managed to screw it up. I'm not just talking about Leia's connection to Padme, either, I'm talking about the consistency of both trilogies as a whole.

lucasfilm

mephistodesigns
Originally posted by vader519
Dude this is star wars, not reality. They have the force, Leia feels the connection. They show Leia to Pade after she is born, and they try to get her to hold her but she is too weak. C'mon we all know that babies can't see for a couple of weeks. This is a movie. I really don't if this is explained, I think we all know that Leia feels the connection to her mother by the force, and that fine with me. It really is not a big deal.

So when Leia said "She was very beautiful", by your own explanation, you think she FEELS her beauty in the Force? C'mon... laughing I agree she can feel her emotions through the Force, that doesn't bother me. But she mentions her appearance, which you can't get through a telepathic impression.

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by EjkoUSC
This is the most overwhelming error in the film if you ask me. Leia has a connection that Luke doesn't have. Yet in the script and the novel there is no extra shared moment between Leia and Padme. In fact she even goes so far as to touch Luke but not Leia. JW Titus's novel handles the scene far more emotionally and brilliantly. SWhe gives birth to Leia, touches her, names her then dies. And immediately after her death the Droid brings around Luke. And Obi-Wan is left to improvise his name. So he calls him Luke.

This bonds Obi-Wan and Luke more
Justifies Leia's connection to Padme
Adds tragedy if Padme dies before seeing her son.

Why the hell wouldnt this have occured to Lucas? Is he on drugs? He better have adjusted this scene in the last reshoots and cuts. Those occured before the script and book were printed out for publishing (I think and hope). Anyone know if the script is EXACTLY as the final cut is? Well some of you will pass of your opinions for being "in the know" but humor me.
I agree. That would have been a far better idea! I've always thought Lucas should have sorted that bit out better htan he did. But how exactly do we know it was Padme she was tlking about? Leia got the surname of her adopted mother, so maybe she also died young & Leia thought she was her real mother. Maybe that was the case.

queeq
Who's digging up these old fossils? You? C-3POTheNotSoClever?

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by queeq
Who's digging up these old fossils? You? C-3POTheNotSoClever?
Yes lol. But even though the poster of that probably won't read my reply, others who look this up in the search might, so it's still good to reply to old ones.

queeq
No, it's not.

Better stop or I'll start shutting them down.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.