Teach Us Proper English

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jury
Which is the proper way to say:

A. The next number of our program will be a song.
B. The next number on our program is a song.

)

smile

Phoenix
either is correct.

debbiejo
BBBBBBBBBBBB 4 me.

digipus
eek! just don't sing then stick out tongue

no - I think the 'of' is correct

Sadako of Girth
"A" Technically I guess....

Mainstream
b sounds better...but either would due.

Sadako of Girth
Yup. Either works...Unless you're playing to an audience comprised of ultra-perdantic English teachers.... LOL

WindDancer
I go with B.

Is this a proper sentence?

"This cheese stinks very good"

tricky wink

seriph
i dont think its a proper sentance... i need the proper definition of stinks but ill go with inproper

Ou Be Low hoo
Originally posted by WindDancer
Is this a proper sentence?

It concurs with the 'subject - verb - adverb - adjective' structure of grammatical correctness, so despite being almost oxymoronic and a little sonically clumsy, it is of sound grammatic structure and therefore a 'proper sentence'.

Jury
Actually, I'm not so sure about the construction of the sentences.

I've learned that the second sentence or the sentence B is the proper way to say.

The next number on the program is a song.

Jury
What's the difference between the two interrogative sentences below:

A. Where are you studying?
B. What school do you go to?

smile

Jackie Malfoy
The rain in spain says mainly in the planes!("My fair lady"jm)

Ushgarak
First of all, either of the original sentences is gramatically inept. 'Number' is being misued as a noun.

Clumsy and a bad use of 'good' and only possibly legal at all because of the exeption rule of 'good' with human senses, and in fact by using a pejorative verb you pretty much rule out the legal use of 'good'. Best avoided.

"A. Where are you studying?
B. What school do you go to?"

Define difference? I mean, there is an obvious difference that the second is only asking about a school, which you might well be a janitor at and need not be studying, whereas the first asks where you are studying, which need not be a school at all.

Dwarfdude
Although most people think of study as in "I'm studying for a test", study can also mean to learn. Since the school is the place of learning, then one would think "I study at (for example) Harvard" the same as "I go to Harvard University".

In short, they are the same.

As for your original question, I would personally use the "on" with the "will be a song". But either is correct.

Ushgarak
But they aren't the same- the question does not ask the same thing, given in isolated context. You are assuming learning in B which the sentence itself does not show.

Dwarfdude
True, I wont deny that.

BackFire
me lik inglish good i talk with it right and no the difrens btween wurds.

Ushgarak
Have a gold star, BF!

BackFire
Yay!

BlackC@t
What the f**k?

*Backs out of thread slowly*

Jury
How about answering a letter....

A. I'm sorry I didn't answer you earlier. I was busy since last week.
B. I'm sorry I didn't write to you earlier. I was busy since last week.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
The rain in spain says mainly in the planes!("My fair lady"jm)

blink blowup

BullitNutz
C: I'm sorry I didn't write to you earlier. I have been busy since last week.

"since" does not go with "was." It goes with "has been," or a derivative of it. You could get rid of "since" and just say "I was busy last week." but that wouldn't explain why you haven't replied this week. Hence, you've been busy up until now, including last week, and you couldn't make time to write a letter. You have been busy since last week.

Congratulations! You've learned from:
BullitNutz, University of Central Florida - Junior, BA: English Program.

Jury
big grin Nice one, nutz!

That's what I am looking for. Those who can be able to identify wrong sentences.

smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.