'Daily Show' Wins Second Peabody Award

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
Apparently, yesterday Jon Stewart's 'The Daily Show' won it's second Peabody Award for coverage of the 2004 elections (they had already won one back in 2001).

The George Foster Peabody awards are given for broadcasting excellence in both news and entertainment and are given by the University of Georgia. Apparently these awards are very prestigious envied by many in the media (Bill O'rielly even lied about receiving one to try and boost his credibility)

Taken from the Peabody Award website, they write of the winner:

It is at this point that the cable & mainstream news media should be embarrassed that not only was the Daily Show (a self described "fake" news show) more deserving of an award than they were, but that critics and viewers now recognize the Daily Show as a show that presents the news in a more factual and honest manner.

PVS
god bless john stewart!!!

sometimes it takes a mammoth sized parody to bring a point across.
and shame on every other news organisation for not doing their goddamn job!

digipus
yeah ... I think he's funny ...

MC Mike
Daily Show kicks ass.

BadKitty
Actually the fact that they do real news and make fun it is golden...there's so much in news today that is so absurd that it's nice to tune in to the daily show and laugh at the world with them..

I watched the 2004 election with the daily show and jon stewart summed up my feelings to a tee after Bush won "it's time to move to Canada"
amen jon amen

King Burger
I like the show, and watch it every day that it is on...

BUt I can't help but feel that Jon Stewart is getting a
little to full of himself.

He continuous barbs against the rest of the tv news
channels may be deserved, but they are getting tiresome,
especially since he hasn't done anything to "fix" things.

For example, he generally has the same old guests as the
others have on, like that intolerable Thomas Friedman
of two days ago, and what's more, when on, he doesn't ask
them any tougher questions as the other channels' shows
so. Seems to be there is an element of hypocrisy there.

Afro Cheese
Cool.

BackFire
Best, most honest news source in the world.

manny321
i loved it when he squared off against that ignorabt right wing nut chris tukcer. He said to a Canadain offical "go back to dogsleds" For crying out load you need to go over 3500 km to see those!

King Burger
That "Crossfire" appearance was nice.

But he was a hypocrite in attacking them for not asking tough
questions when he himself barely said a word when he had
Kerry on.

And though he is a d***, Stewart didn't have to call Tucker one
on live air.

Afro Cheese
I'm glad he did, though.

John isn't a hypocrite IMO. His show is satire.. it's light hearted for the most part, he never pretends to ask tough questions or be a valid news source. His show is a joke, and I've never seen him claim it to be otherwise. When he went onto a serious news show, he got serious. Makes sense to me.

Ou Be Low hoo
I don't know what his name is, but I like that guy who does the strange interviews.

Me likey lotty.

Dr. Strangelove
The Daily Shows is the only "news" show I watch. I get more news from watching 15 minutes of The Daily Show than watching hours of Fox News, CNN etc.

Morning_Glory
the daily sucks anymore .. it is all about complaining about politics-- and not the normal complaining they use to do - but it is just plain whining..tsk

Ou Be Low hoo
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
the daily sucks anymore .. it is all about complaining about politics-- and not the normal complaining they use to do - but it is just plain whining..tsk

Today's definition of irony: Complaining about something that complains.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by King Burger
That "Crossfire" appearance was nice.

But he was a hypocrite in attacking them for not asking tough
questions when he himself barely said a word when he had
Kerry on.

And though he is a d***, Stewart didn't have to call Tucker one
on live air.

You do get the point of the Daily show as opposed to the point of ACTUAL news programming don't you? Were you even listening to the points he was making during his crossfire appearance?

King Burger
I know what he was saying.

But consider this point:

If he's nothing but a satirical comedy program who doesn't have
to ask any serious questions, then why have any serious guests
on at all? Just stick with entertainers.

But he does have serious guests.

And not only does hje have serious guests on, he talks to them
(most of the time) seriously, and asks them (most of the time)
serious questions!

Therefore, his Crossfire protests that he's only a comedian and is
not obligated to ask serious questions are invalid. He does ask
serious questions, but, as I said above, he's questions are no more
intelligent and insightful and knowledgable than those asked by the
other "legitimate" anchors.

Take his interviews with Thomas Friedman. Just like all the other
achors, he just sits there swallowing the crap that Friedman freeds
him on the Middle East.

And as far as the John Kerry interview is concerned. Why didn't he
ask any serious tough questions? As I've just pointed out, he does
have serious guests, and he does ask them serious (though still
ignorant) questions, so why not Kerry?

Besides, presidential candidates are so difficult to come by for
non-mainstream news organizations, that Stewart had atleast some
obligation to ask questions that are not asked by the mainstream
media. But he hardly asked any serious questions.

Admit it, the guy was and is a hypocrite in many (though not all) of
his criticisms of the major news organizations.

Afro Cheese
He asks serious questions? Maybe one or two that highlight the reason the person is on his show (which is usually to advertise a book or movie), but for the most part he doesn't take anyone too serious.

King Burger
He does ask serious questions about the topic at hand. he
may ask them in a humorous way, but he does nevertheless.

When he interviewed Kenneth Pollack, who wrote a book on
Iran, he asked him on Iran and his book. He didn't ask him
]about sports and tv and other goofy questions, with a few
serious ones here and there. Mostly it was abou the book
and Iran, with some funny side-comments here and there.

Oh, and guess what? The questions he asked Pollack (like
those he asks other serious guests) were just as vacuous
and ignorant as those that the other network hosts ask
Pollack.

Afro Cheese
But that's just it, he came on the Daily Show to plug his book, not to get into a heated political debate..

People don't look to the Daily Show for serious journalism or debates, but they do look at Crossfire for such things. It doesn't matter if he has serious guests or not, if the rest of his show is satirical and he asks his questions in a humorous way it's all comedy, not serious.

King Burger
Fine.

But Stewart is also prefectly aware that many younger people
get their news from him (as some study a year ago or so found),
then why doesn't he then take his job more seriously?

Besides, he makes humorous comments about the news that
show the absurdaties of what is happening, why can't he do
the same with the guests he has on, and some of the nonesense
they spew (like Friedman or O'Reilly)? Because he is afraid of
offending them? Bercaue he's afraid of scaring off other potential
guests? Well, why can't the same motivation be behind the other
hosts as well?

The point is, Stewart can't attack the mainstream news hosts,
when he himself may be constrained by the same limits as they
are.

Dwarfdude
King, I count three or four times that you've said "he asks the same ignorant questions" in your posts, and reading it again and again is getting tiresome. We get your effing point, you dont have to type it again and again. We dont (at least I dont think) have ADD.

Jon Stewart is supposed to be funny. For God's sake, he was (and actually sometimes still is) a stand up comic. Jon says what he wants, and does what he wants, and that's why he called Tucker a "d*ck" on air.
Comedy Central has always pushed the limits on this stuff, Jon realized that, and used it to his advantage.

Plus a) it was funny and b) it needed to be said, because I dont think Tucker's puny mind can comprehend that he is one of the most hated people on the air without someone saying it directly to his face, and using profanity.

And what about the outburst by the Republican (cant remember his name) on Hardball, eh? Dont see you complaining about that.

But I digress.

Getting back on topic, I absolutely agree with the awardation (if that's a word) of a Peabody to the Daily Show, because I think its a great news program and that Jon and the reporters' ironic humor are the products of a genius.

Afro Cheese
Fine.

But Stewart is also prefectly aware that many younger people
get their news from him (as some study a year ago or so found),
then why doesn't he then take his job more seriously?

Besides, he makes humorous comments about the news that
show the absurdaties of what is happening, why can't he do
the same with the guests he has on, and some of the nonesense
they spew (like Friedman or O'Reilly)? Because he is afraid of
offending them? Bercaue he's afraid of scaring off other potential
guests? Well, why can't the same motivation be behind the other
hosts as well?

The point is, Stewart can't attack the mainstream news hosts,
when he himself may be constrained by the same limits as they
are. The reason many young people get their news from John Stewart is because he DOESN'T take his job serious, taking it more serious would defeat the entire purpose.

Yeah, I think part of it might be fear to scare off potential guests. But I think the bigger reason is that heated political debates kill the comedy. If him and someone get into some screaming contest over politics, the show just lost some of it's light hearted comedy feel.

The whole point is that other news shows take themselves serious. They already have screaming contests over politics, they already have heated debates, their show isn't supposed to be funny it's supposed to be informative so political debates serve their purpose perfectly.

King Burger
I make the same "effing point" because others keep
making him out as above the other news hosts.

I made a point about what I thought was a growing
ego, and a hypocricy to attack others for what he
himself does.

Don't like my posts? Find them redundant? Don't answer
them and put me on your ignore list. It's as easy as one
two three.

King Burger
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
The reason many young people get their news from John Stewart is because he DOESN'T take his job serious, taking it more serious would defeat the entire purpose.

Yeah, I think part of it might be fear to scare off potential guests. But I think the bigger reason is that heated political debates kill the comedy. If him and someone get into some screaming contest over politics, the show just lost some of it's light hearted comedy feel.

The whole point is that other news shows take themselves serious. They already have screaming contests over politics, they already have heated debates, their show isn't supposed to be funny it's supposed to be informative so political debates serve their purpose perfectly.

Good points Afro Cheese. Perhaps I am taking him a
little too seriously.

Still, calling a guy "d***" on his own show wasn't necessary.

Afro Cheese
I didn't even see that.

KharmaDog
I make the same "effing point" because others keep
making him out as above the other news hosts.

You fail to grasp the concept that HE IS NOT A NEWS HOST! He is the host of a satirical T.V. show!

If Jon Stewart asks some hardhitting questions to one of his guest, bully for him,he has that option if he wants to. But please remember, this is NOT a news show it is an entertainment show about news. He is not obligated to act as we would expect the press and media outlets to act. He is not obligated to asks guests (now remember these are guests on his show who have agreed to appear on a comedy show and not 60 minutes) hard journalistic questions, that is not his job unless he can make it entertaining.

If people get all their news from the daily show then they are not really well informed. I find that the people who find this program really funny are those that go out of there way to stay informed with current events through various media options and stations.

Please do not hold a comedian to the same standards that you expect from national news figures, it makes the comedian's job a little less funny and the newsperson's a little less responsible.

Jackie Malfoy
Stupid show that is all I am going to say.JM

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
Stupid show that is all I am going to say.JM

Actually it is a pretty intelligent show, generally it's the stupid people that don't get it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.