Angels And Demons

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Soth
This is another awesome book by Dan Brown. It's another Robert Langdon adventure that takes place before the Da Vinci Code. In this story, Langdon is trying to save Vatican City from the ancient Brotherhood of the Illuminati, who have placed a bomb made from antimatter, an energy source that it carries a payload of 100 times that of a nuclear missile.

I actually find it better than The Da Vinci Code

Lord Soth
Okay......~bumping~

HockeyHorror
that sounds interesting.

ill check it out.

badkittykitty
maybe this should be next on your nomination list wink

Lord Soth
Definitely! eek!

Tired Hiker
I'm starting this book right now! My mum gave it to me. smile

radioboy121
I just got the book recently also. I heard it from a friend and thought of reading it. I am wondering when an alternative source of energy would suffice to completely eliminate our current dependence on fossil fuel.

Tired Hiker
Yes, me too. It's as if they, as in 'the powers that be' are waiting until we suck the world dry of all it's oil and trees before converting to a much more Earth friendly means. Keep the rich rich and the poor poor, that seems to be the current trend. erm

mechmoggy
I read this whilst on holiday last month, it was pretty good.

I think the actual statement was something about the energy yeild "x" higher than that produced by nuclear fission.

radioboy121
The possibility of utilizing antimatter was that it was produced at 100 efficiency (no pollution), unlike nuclear fission (was it 1.5%? Can't remember). However, the consequences was also at acknowledging this not only as a power source, but a possibility of a potent weapon that could easily be distributed and had terribly destructive capabilities for such a small quantity.

*Danii*
I read it when I was on holiday.
It was ok. . . I read a lot of VERY gory books and although it wasn't disturbing, I thought the murders were very creative! devil

jeffer_wrote
i also think this book should bethe first to be made into a film, since it had more action elements than Da Vinci Code....

Dan Brown could not have made a better introduction for the character of Robert Langdon than he did here. I totally enjoyed this book!

Neo_Version 7
This book kicked ass.

The ambigrams were really creative and down-right awesome. And this book really had the "time is of the essence" feel to it. Predictable but after reading all of Brown's novels, I pretty much see the "good-bad guy" formula he uses. Pretty obvious who switches sides and what not. But overall, one of my favorite books.

And BK, i remember A&D already being nominated like a couple of months ago. Is it alright to be nominated again?

jeffer_wrote
yeah, this is more edge-of-your-seat, makes one really feel time passing by...

Mr Zero

Neo_Version 7
Funny, my dad said the same thing.

He kinda stopped reading Brown's work after he said it was getting predictable (like an episode of "24"wink and it resembled a blockbuster movie.

The Tired Hiker
Nevertheless, it's entertaining. I finished reading Angels and Demons two weeks ago and I'm half way through DV Code. I was reading too many old pieces of literature, ie Napoleonic War Novels and Lord of the Rings, Dan Brown is a nice change for now, the story moves and isn't bogged down with too many details like the other books I was reading. I see what you mean though. wink

The Tired Hiker
I must say, both Angels and Demons are somewhat annoyingly similar, They both have a hot chick who's father figure dies, they both have a psycho guy who kills religious folks, they both deal with a mysterious phone calls to get the story going, codes and anagrams and the friggin Mickey Mouse watch. erm

colchestereldo
have any of you read his other two books - Digital Fortress and Deception Point. I have them both, but have not started - i am most of the way through angels and demons having first read the Da Vinci Code.

I actually made the same points as you guys have in the Da Vinci forum - which Lord Soth started and which first compelled me to join this site -- there are too many similarities between the two books although both are fine as standalone plots, and both very enjoyable. However, i am hoping the other two books are not quite as similar!

Very apt at the moment, A&D, considering recent events in the Vatican - it was really great knowing what goes on at conclave before being told all about it by newreaders!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.