A long time ago.............

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
We are all familiar with the immortal opening words "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away", but that makes me wonder. How long ago is "a long time ago"? We have come a very long way in science, medicine, and industry since the 1800's, and here in 2005, over 200 years later, we have technology that back then would be like science fiction to mankind. So what kind of advances in industry and science and medicine would the galaxy far, far away have progressed in from "a long time ago" to our present day? Kinda makes you wonder, huh?

Darth Subjekt
well being as Star Wars was going to be a story out of a book "the journal of the whills" that a wookie mother was going to read to her crying baby (wooklet???), it could be that THAT was in our future and the "long time ago...." was in the past from the wookies time. Did i say that to where it makes sense? Or it could just be a way for GL to do it with out having people make comparisons with modern technology, liek people did when Back to the Future came out.

yerssot
the point is that it's in a galaxy far, far away
we can't go and jump to planets like they can so it's clear we just developed into humans and had our technology leaps much much later than them, that's all

Red Superfly
It's in a galaxy far far away, a long time ago.

That's all we know, and all we will ever know. Could have been a billion years ago, a billion lightyears into the outer reaches of space.

Or, it could have been the galaxy next door, a few years ago. But seeing as we never see any characters taking a quick shopping trip to the milky way, we will never know, and its impossible to even guess.

It just is.

TheElectricFox
well being as Star Wars was going to be a story out of a book "the journal of the whills"

WTF?????? thats about the dumbest thing ive ever heard! Since when does EU explain something CANON??

Darth Subjekt
Thats the dumbest thing you ever heard huh? Well i didnt make it up and im not saying thats the way it should have been, but thats what GL said it WAS GOING TO BE. and how exactly is "Along time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." canon? Its a statement, not a storyline, plot or anything close to it. If you got beef with it, call LFL and let them know.....here ill go get you the number......(415) 623-1000 or (415) 662-1999 or (415) 662-1800. i hope you have good luck with that.

Impediment
Interesting................

Lord Ganon
Yes the Journal of the Whills is a book about the history of the Star Wars galaxy. The Star Was Saga is part of the Journal of the Whills.

Darth Nhilus
It is a long time ago, but it is also in a galaxy far far away. So in a galaxy far far away they would have better technology.

SithHappens
Maybe it was last week.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.