North Americans and thier knowledge about the world.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

manny321
SO do you think North Americans (like me) no very little about the world or alot. OKay how about compared to Europe?

My view. The average billybob joe knows very little but there are some people that know a lot.

To test your knowledge!!! Whats the Capital of Turkey????

If you say Istanbul you know some what about the world.

If you saw Constantinople you know alot of the ancient world.
but they are wrong.

moviejunkie23
i don't think americans care too much because we aren't like all the other countries that have twenty neighbors and everyone hates eachother. The only problem we have with a country that borders us is Mexico and their legions of economic refugees that flood our welfare lines

lucija
Ankara..

DarkCrawler
Ankara (Is the capital btw) means strict in Finnish.

But Istanbul is the biggest and most important city.

Dwarfdude
I believe that Americans know and care little of the geography of the world. I'll give two examples...

1. 70% of Americans cannot identify they're own country on a map.

2. There is a girl in my class who thought that a picture of New Jersey (our home state) was Maryland.

The ignorance of Americans is never ending and will never cease to amuse me. This is why I can say, unashamed and happily, that I hate America and the society of ignorance that its people have built the structures of their pitiful lives upon.

Although, that is not to say that I hate all Americans. Though I do hate most.

The best part is, I have dual citizenship with Great Britain, so I can say this without insulting myself, and say it rightly.

ash007
Gosh why are people going against Americans.

I think they are a great nation and when i have travelled there i am treated with much more respect then the rest of Europe.

Yeah i know most Americans don't know much about the rest of the world but thats only the minority. The Majority are very well educated

Dwarfdude
Originally posted by ash007
Gosh why are people going against Americans.

I think they are a great nation and when i have travelled there i am treated with much more respect then the rest of Europe.

Yeah i know most Americans don't know much about the rest of the world but thats only the minority. The Majority are very well educated

You dont live here.

And the majority voted for Curious George Bush. Does that sound educated?

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Dwarfdude
I don't believe that for a second.

I do think that Americans suck at geography, I just don't think that's a correct statistic. Honestly though, America is huge, and so is Canada. They are both huge countries that don't have many neighbors and who's people really don't travel out of the country all that often. I mean it takes a lot more for me to get out of America than it would take a European to get out of their country. Most countries over there are like the size of a state. I could tell you all the states and probably most of the capitols, cause they are right next to me. I could even label most of the Latin American countries.

But when it comes to places like eastern Europe or Asia where there's a bunch of tiny countries that you never really hear about, yeah I'm lost. But can you expect otherwise? I wouldn't expect anyone from any other country to be able to point out a state like Nebraska on the map, so why would you expect me to be able to point out a country like Romania?

ash007
hey at least you have a democracy. I mean i don't like Republicans or George Bush.

But i would not say you guys are a stupid society. I just don't agree with what other people say about your country as i have made alot of friends in the US and i think very highly of them.

King Burger
I remember reading a report a couple of years back that
showed that the british are almost as ignorant about the
rest of the world as Americans. Mayeb it's an anglo-saxon
thing?

Besides, who knows how it is in the rest of the world? Can
we really say that people in Thailand know all about their
country or the world?

Dwarfdude
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
I don't believe that for a second.

I do think that Americans suck at geography, I just don't think that's a correct statistic. Honestly though, America is huge, and so is Canada. They are both huge countries that don't have many neighbors and who's people really don't travel out of the country all that often. I mean it takes a lot more for me to get out of America than it would take a European to get out of their country. Most countries over there are like the size of a state. I could tell you all the states and probably most of the capitols, cause they are right next to me. I could even label most of the Latin American countries.

But when it comes to places like eastern Europe or Asia where there's a bunch of tiny countries that you never really hear about, yeah I'm lost. But can you expect otherwise? I wouldn't expect anyone from any other country to be able to point out a state like Nebraska on the map, so why would you expect me to be able to point out a country like Romania?

Believe it. Cant name the site off the top of my head, but my sister showed it to me...

Did I meantion that most Americans cant point out Iraq nor North Korea on a map? Or Switzerland?

MC Mike
The decideing characteristic that makes it important for Americans to know these things is that we always stick our noses in everyone's business so we have the DUTY to know and understand other places and cultures.

BackFire
Wait, you mean there's a world and people outside of America? WTF, since when?

Clovie
Originally posted by manny321
SO do you think North Americans (like me) no very little about the world or alot. OKay how about compared to Europe?

My view. The average billybob joe knows very little but there are some people that know a lot.

To test your knowledge!!! Whats the Capital of Turkey????

but they are wrong. it is ankara blink

and Americans know NOTHING about geography or history.
and some of them can't evwen type in english, and it is their 1st language blink

don't compare a country to a state messed
Romania is rather big place
and it wouldn't take mych time to find nebrasca on a map messed

Afro Cheese
Many of our states are the same size as your countries. Why not compare? One's a piece of land with a name, and the other is.. a piece of land with a name.

Clovie
when you;re talking this way...maybe tell me where is czeczenia, it is also the size of a state...or german lands?

and honestly..why didn't anyone point out the the capitol of turkey isn't instanbul? blink

yerssot
I wouldn't expect anyone from any other country to be able to point out a state like Nebraska on the map, so why would you expect me to be able to point out a country like Romania?
I can place Nebraska and most other states(30-35 states I guess) on a map, if a european can do that, why not an american?

and I think that 70% thing is more at them finding their state than their country

Originally posted by BackFire
Wait, you mean there's a world and people outside of America? WTF, since when?
Wait, you mean there's a world and people outside of KMC? WTF, since when?

leonheartmm
because of all the luxuries americans get and take for granted, sadly, most of them dont know or care too much about the world, all they really know is what the one sided media propaganda tells them and thas the reason y they can be fooled so easily by their own government{eg bush}

King Burger
What the hell is this america-bashing bulls***?!

Jesus Christ, where's the f***in' gratitude for helping
save your a**es in two World Wars then helping pay
for your damned reconstruction?!

Damn it!

Originally posted by Clovie
and Americans know NOTHING about geography or history.
and some of them can't evwen type in english, and it is their 1st language

And neither can you, so we're even.

And no one here said Istanbul was Turkey's capitol.

Afro Cheese
when you;re talking this way...maybe tell me where is czeczenia, it is also the size of a state...or german lands?

and honestly..why didn't anyone point out the the capitol of turkey isn't instanbul? blink

I have no idea where "czeczenia" is but I'm not the one who's saying you need to know where every country or state on the map is. If I lived in Europe, I'm sure I'd know every country that was around me. I live in America, so I know the states and countries around here instead.

If knowing geography is so vital, would you be able to tell Venezuela from Bolivia? How about Guatemala from El Salvador?(on an unlabeled map).

Fact of the matter is, to an everyday person who rarely ever leaves America, it makes no difference whether you can spot small countries you know nothing about on a map.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by King Burger

Damn it!

Watch the language King Burger!

Considering her first language is Polish, and shes pretty fluent in English, id say thats quite an achivement.

Im fluent in 3 languages, and even if I do make a mistake while I type or write in English, I still do not feel all that bad, as I know i speak and spell better then some individuals whos first language is English.

Clovie

Damn it!

excuse me.
i can point most of the countries of the world on the map, and i know the capitols of the most as well. if you really want me to i can even point you some states in USA messed
the bullshit about america saving everyone during WWII is just tiring to hear.
and i never claimed i can type in english. but i can spell words in my own language and i bet it is a bit more difficult than english. you can have a try if you wish, dear.

and about instanbul. look at the first post. and just tell me what does it tell about americans.

and thanx lil B (i really can't call you by name?)

manny321
I remember watching one of those shows were the go to a street and there was a map of the US and it had the states. They picked hard ones and i can say i know More about the US and the cities then many Americans do from that show. Come on how can you not find Oklahoma on the map. Its the weirdest shape one. Well i get confused about my country. I always think Calgary is the Capitol of Alberta, but its Edmonton. But serious those news stories were they go on the street and ask those questions, really wonder. Also if your an immigrant or a child, you would know a lot about the area you come from. My dads from India so i know a ton of geography on south Asia. If an Canadian can place half the states why can;t americans??? Imo you should be able to say hello in more then 4 languages. I can in 10.

I speak 2 languages fully. Hindi i understand alot but can't speak it well and a some French. Serious speaking only one languages is embarrassing these days. Many Americans can speak Spanish though.

Here is a good question what the Capitol of Pakistan?

Clovie
I have no idea where "czeczenia" is but I'm not the one who's saying you need to know where every country or state on the map is. If I lived in Europe, I'm sure I'd know every country that was around me. I live in America, so I know the states and countries around here instead.

If knowing geography is so vital, would you be able to tell Venezuela from Bolivia? How about Guatemala from El Salvador?(on an unlabeled map).

Fact of the matter is, to an everyday person who rarely ever leaves America, it makes no difference whether you can spot small countries you know nothing about on a map.

i've had a test of labeling the map and i got 100%, so yes i would.

and i never said that you have to be able to point every single country

capitol of pakistan is islamabad of course blink

lil bitchiness

and thanx lil B (i really can't call you by name?)

You can if you want.
If I didn't want people calling me ''Milla'' I shouldn't have let people call it me, in the first place, so you can call me whatever you like, really.

Clovie
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
You can if you want.
If I didn't want people calling me ''Milla'' I shouldn't have let people call it me, in the first place, so you can call me whatever you like, really. i thought so, but you got angry at me once for it, and i wasn't sure anymore.

yerssot

Damn it!
next time you slam on your keyboard in a vain attempt to make yourself understandable, try to (besides forming correct sentences) also think.
If you had any knowledge of the world wars in question, you would know that the US did not save anyones rear-end. If they didn't help in a war they got themselves into (donating/selling weapons for instance) Russia would have EASILY done the job. But the States couldn't handle that (especially during WWII) so they joined in.

manny321
okay lets stomp people. The capital of Bangladesh!

Clovie
i said something stupid.

yerssot
Dhaka

King Burger
Watch the language King Burger!

What language?! I didn't insult anyone, compared to what
is being written here (and elsewhere) about my country
and people?

and about instanbul. look at the first post. and just tell me what does it tell about americans.

Re-read the post yourself, he was asking a question,
And he apparently knew the answer since he wrote:

but they are wrong.

"But they are wrong" "ARE", both of them. So he obviously
knew that it wasn't Istanbul.

And even if he didn't, so what?! He doesn't represent all
Americans!

And yes, American's did help save Europe during both Warold
Wars.

manny321
Hmm, i have to think no. The capital of Tanzania is??

Some Americans spell things very oddly. Like color instead of colour and favorite and instead of favourite.

Ha, I'm not American I'm Canadian from Canada or in American terms the frozen waste land.

And AMerican ignorance, that AMerica saved you ass in Europe. In ww1 yes but WW2 it was 80% russia.

Clovie

but they are wrong.

Americans!

Wars. i've misread aparently. will you be so kind and forgive me?

help. but we could do it on our own. it would take more time and everything but it would happen

yerssot
Dar-es-Salaam, that's easy

What language?! I didn't insult anyone, compared to what
is being written here (and elsewhere) about my country
and people?

but they are wrong.

Americans!

Wars.
YOU are not attacked here, so no need to get defensive. Accept the fact that not everyone is quite fond of the States, same goes for a whole list of other countries

and about the WW's: as long as you realise they HELPED and didn't SAVE Europe, then all is fine.

leonheartmm
islamabad lol, thas the capital of pakistan

leonheartmm
damn 6 posts in a second

Clovie
Originally posted by leonheartmm
islamabad lol, thas the capital of pakistan i've said it huh

manny321
Good now the capital of Tanzania.

I respect the US but hate the President. Some people are assholes and some are great intelligent people but thats every country. HA HA jUst higher ratio of assholes then usual. laughing out loud

Echuu
i think the world war I and II thing can be debated for a long time with good arguments on both sides but i dont think it has much to do with this subject....

But anyway- im an american and i know plenty about the world big grin

yerssot
Good now the capital of Tanzania.

I respect the US but hate the President. Some people are assholes and some are great intelligent people but thats every country. HA HA jUst higher ratio of assholes then usual. laughing out loud
as said in my previous post: Dar-es-Salaam

Afro Cheese
Holding over someone's head the fact that America helped in a War effort to free a country decades before you were even born isn't really a valid argument. They didn't help so we could brag about it 60 years later when people bash America.

I still don't see how knowing the capitol of Pakistan is going to affect my life in any way. Just seems like useless knowledge to me, there are much more useful things to study. Sure you need a fair amount of geography, but you don't really need to know exactly where everything is. Especially countries on the other side of the globe that you never come into contact with. As long as you know the approximate area and have a map when you need one, you'll be fine.

manny321
You should know the capitil of Pakistan. There your allies on the war on something i'm not sure of. smile

Afro Cheese
I have nothing to do with that war, and knowing their capitol does nothing for me.

Echuu
laughing i love kmc

King Burger
First, apologies to Clovie.

No insults intended.

Originally posted by yerssot
YOU are not attacked here, so no need to get defensive. Accept the fact that not everyone is quite fond of the States, same goes for a whole list of other countries

and about the WW's: as long as you realise they HELPED and didn't SAVE Europe, then all is fine.

Yes, many people don't like America, but there's no need to
attack the American people.

I don't like Great Britain in the least, but I'm not going to start
threads about insulting all Brits.

Like most Americans, I have a sense of humor about ourselves,
so jokes and sarcastic remarks about Americans and their
"stupidity" make me laugh as much as the next person. But
when it's just piling on and on, then it's not funny.

Oh, and I intentionally typed "helping", because I know the US
didn't win the war alone.

manny321
It was what the Capitol of Tanzania. Okay name 3 cities in Canada?? Don't tell me its not important to know stuff about Canada. Well this really goes for Americans, not really Europe.

Deano
why dont u like great britain?

Afro Cheese
It was what the capitil of Tananazia. OKAy name 3 cities in Canada?? Someone already answered that one.

Windsor, Toronto, and Vancouver.

manny321
Good!! Very good. I fell happy about this relationship between us. Happy Dance

King Burger
Holding over someone's head the fact that America helped in a War effort to free a country decades before you were even born isn't really a valid argument. They didn't help so we could brag about it 60 years later when people bash America.

Youre' right about that, and I never meant it to be so.

But when people, especially Europeans (not necessarily people
on this Forum, but you come across all sorts of stuff on the web)
begin to insult America again and again, and treat Americans
like barbarian dirt, then one should begin to remind them that
this country did good to them.

Echuu
i love great britain

manny321
Its just some outspoken people on certain networks really do get me mad sometimes. FOX!!!!!! ARGH PIECE OF TRASH!!!!! ARGH!!!! Also that member with a final fantasy character poster.

Echuu
huh

leonheartmm
actually the argument about SAVIN THE WORLD is a lot of bullshit taught by the government to americans, {the american government is responsible for the state of americans today}, america's done nuthin but used countries for its own ends and because of america, theres a million times more good done than bad, the government makes BIG news of a few million dollars contributions to the world, when its destroying and stealing it at a rate a billion times higher{incidently america uses up more funds in one morning on the illegal war in iraq than it contributed to the whole world when the tsunamis came}, its just that americans are never told about the wastelands in the world created after america used different countries for its own purposes, these things r kept out of the news for americans while the wrest of the damn worl dies a little more each day.

Clovie
First, apologies to Clovie.

No insults intended.
you're forgiven

and i didn't mean to bash the US. i just point out their ignorance about some matters. nothing more.
and i'm sure it would annoy everyone to explain to ppl that snow is not lying here all the year long sad

yerssot

so? the french stink, the chumps from britain are america's lapdog, the germans think they have good beer...
every country gets stereotyped, if you feel attacked by it, so be it but I doubt anyone here had the intention to do that. They (and I) just are having some fun with it

manny321
While there are many historic instances when even in WW2 at battle of dieppe thousands of Canadians landed and almost a thousand died but however the American News covered the story about the few dozen Us soldiers.
Well as i say there are 59 million idiots in America. Thats how many people voted for Bush.

yerssot
I wouldn't call them idiots though manny

King Burger
Except for a few ultra-nationalist kooks, no one in America ever
claimed to have saved the world, or even be solely responsible
for the victories of WWI and WWII.

Yes, the US govt. commits terrible and destructive things all
around the world, but guess what? So do most of the govts.
of western Europe. True, the US, being stronger and wealthier
than they are, takes the lead, but they gladly and willfully
follow.

Take forcing this "free trade" nonesense on Third World
nations, you think British and French and japanese corporations
aren't along with it? You think they disapprove and would love
for the Third World to be developed and prosperous like they
are? Ofcoure not.

The governmetns and business/political elites of the whole
world share the same goals.

Echuu
"illegal" war in iraq

That's funny; any war in history can be called illegal by anyone

lil bitchiness

I was talking about the vulgarity of your posts.

Noone is attacking anyone, we're simply telling the truth.

Around 10% of all Americans have passports, which means that thats about the nmber that ever left the country. (!!!!!!)

The way majority of Americans experience the world is though American media, and majority do not even know whats happening around the world, unless American is bombing or invading that part of the world.

Its not attacking, its the reality.

manny321
okay, misinformed people who should watch some real news.

leonheartmm
actually king burger, the reason y so many people hate america that u cant understand is that {other than relegious reasons} america has literally choked half of the world and made the people in it suffer, u really cant understand what people in the third world countries go through, itll give u a heart attack if u actually came and lived out here,
and all the things that americans take for granted and the freedoms u enjoy{and which every human being SHOULD enjoy} are non existant in the wrest of the world{n not bein sarcastic or anythin but STILL people in the west r so self indulged that they call their lives miserable}and when u struggle to take every breath while the other person lives like a king{even the most miserable americans lie like kings to the most of the world} and when the other person doesnt een give a damn about u or cudnt care less about u, then people get really angry, n thas y they cant stand america's ignorance and undoubtedly that translates into a hatred for americans.

leonheartmm
its the american government thas to blame{although it wudnt hurt for the american public to WAKE UP}

Echuu
okay, misinformed people who should watch some real news.

yeah that would be me, srry embarrasment

yerssot
Said a few ultra-nationalist kooks, no one in America ever
claimed to have saved the world, or even be solely responsible
for the victories of WWI and WWII.
then those few I met that said America did that must have been lying about their nationality. KB; there ARE people in the states that claim this (not many, but there are)

manny321
The fact is if everyone lived like Americans you would need over 5 earths to do so.

Like serious The Iraq war coverage of FOX reminded me of Communist Chanel in China. Like i was ready to explode in anger at The bias of The news. I think most American News network are all opinion these days.

yerssot
u really cant understand what people in the third world countries go through, itll give u a heart attack if u actually came and lived out here,
a few days ago, I was forced to watch an Oprah episode with someone. It was about Congo and how poor the people were, that the women had 38 cents to survive (on a daily basis) and she (Oprah) was shocked when hearing this... I was shocked she DIDN'T knew how bad it was there.

Echuu
im shocked she knows anything

manny321
the world is actually two worlds.

yerssot
she knew how to gorge herself

manny321
The people in America who are the worst are those damn Evangelical Christians. they will wreck your country if you guys aren't careful! And ratify the Kyoto protocol. Who cares if you lose jobs, in hundred years there won't be any!!!!!! mad

Echuu
im an evangelical christian.... big grin

Afro Cheese
actually king burger, the reason y so many people hate america that u cant understand is that {other than relegious reasons} america has literally choked half of the world and made the people in it suffer, u really cant understand what people in the third world countries go through, itll give u a heart attack if u actually came and lived out here,
and all the things that americans take for granted and the freedoms u enjoy{and which every human being SHOULD enjoy} are non existant in the wrest of the world{n not bein sarcastic or anythin but STILL people in the west r so self indulged that they call their lives miserable}and when u struggle to take every breath while the other person lives like a king{even the most miserable americans lie like kings to the most of the world} and when the other person doesnt een give a damn about u or cudnt care less about u, then people get really angry, n thas y they cant stand america's ignorance and undoubtedly that translates into a hatred for americans. Where do you live?

manny321
Run away, run away. Joking i should put some instead. Really If civilization does not mend its way in the coming two decades on pollution the world will be devastate by biblical disaster which will not only affect the third world, but they will hit North America as well.

leonheartmm
well i live in ISLAMABAD, pakistan, for now

moviejunkie23
Originally posted by Dwarfdude
I believe that Americans know and care little of the geography of the world. I'll give two examples...

2. There is a girl in my class who thought that a picture of New Jersey (our home state) was Maryland.

The ignorance of Americans is never ending and will never cease to amuse me. This is why I can say, unashamed and happily, that I hate America and the society of ignorance that its people have built the structures of their pitiful lives upon.

Although, that is not to say that I hate all Americans. Though I do hate most.

The best part is, I have dual citizenship with Great Britain, so I can say this without insulting myself, and say it rightly.

Dude i love how people who live in this country love to take to their advantage all the great things it offers and then in the next breath say how terrible the country is

Also saying that a girl in your class is clueless doesn'r prove anything, i worked with a guy who thought there were 52 states. Is this a accurate reflection of all Americans or simply just proof that there are idiots living everywhere. There are muslims in some countrys that believe jews drink the blood of babys.
And about that 70 percent thing give me a break man, common sense tells you that study is bull crap man, common you pretend to be smart on these posts , start living up to it.
And oh yea, you don't like most americans and you don't like america?? Then move out.

Afro Cheese
well i live in ISLAMABAD, pakistan, for now
Is it really that much worse than the US? I mean you do have a computer.. that's more than most of my friends have.

Or are you part of the upper class?

moviejunkie23
I think, correct me if i am wrong and i don't want to sound ignorant, but computer caffes are very popular in the middle east and many of them get their internet acces from that

manny321
but people have computers. They are many rich people in India and regular people who have it. MAny in North America think INdia is country full of poor needy people. That is true but it has near to 200 million middle class citizens.

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by moviejunkie23
I think, correct me if i am wrong and i don't want to sound ignorant, but computer caffes are very popular in the middle east and many of them get their internet acces from that Oh yeah, that makes sense. Still though, can't be total slums if you have access to the internet. I know people who come from third world countries like Haiti or Guatemala, they don't anything like that down there.

manny321
India is a funny country and is like the US. You have money you live like a king, if you don't you will suffer.

R0B
What does being an American have to do with how much we know? There are smart people and there are dumb people. There are dumbasses in EVERY country

manny321
Nah there are more in The US as i have seen compare to others. I don't know maybe there are much more outspoken and vocal then in other countries. But by staying almost 2 months in the US and travelling all around i meet some wacky people which i have not meet in other countries.

leonheartmm
well my life isnt exactly a bed of roses but yea now i am part of the upper class, my dad's a dentist

it wasnt always like this, but well im a bit different from people here, n i only got an unbranded pentium3 3years ago,

still im better than 94%of the population here

leonheartmm
but well still after soo damn long my dad earn around 2300 dollars a month.

leonheartmm
n considerin the conomy n conditions here, well that just doesnt cut it.

manny321
Everything is available in India I'm not sure about Pakistan if you have th cash. people are available to everything however they can't afford it.

yerssot
Nah there are more in The US as i have seen compare to others.
we just hide them better wink

DeVi| D0do
Not all American's are stupid... here's proof, take the test:

http://www.netcartoon.net/naaas/doquiz.php

Echuu
thats stupid

my results:

"You have an impressive understanding of the world for an American. It is likely that you feel intellectually isolated in your home country, and often have to hide your opinions from others. Deep down, you realise that your country is the single biggest threat to world peace in modern times, but you have not yet summoned up the courage to emigrate."

Julie
Are we talking intelligence, knowledge, or wisdom...?

Trickster
Hehe, I have an amusing story that somewhat relates to this topic.

I went to the US for a week and spent a day in Elementary school and four days in high school. Okay, this is the best part. I'm from England, and the kids at the elementary school knew that. however, one of them asked me,
"What language do speak in England?" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Of course, this can be put down to being young... Now for the shocking part. A day later, in the high school English class I was sitting at one of those one part seat/desks and the guy on my left leans over while the teacher's talking about the book they're studying and says,
"So is English like, like, the primary language in England?" wink

He was what, 16, and he didn't know that we spoke English in England! He wasn't even trying to be funny or anything!

Aw, man, that was both depressing and hilarious at the same time. big grin

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do

http://www.netcartoon.net/naaas/doquiz.php If you are American, the only way you got this score is by doing the quiz 50 times, and memorizing the correct answers. You need to approach the world in a less aggressively competitive way and learn to live with your inadequacies, rather than seeking to feel through bigotry and false national pride.

Quiz is a joke I guess. I actually had to guess on one of them though. The Ann Oakely one.

King Burger
Originally posted by Trickster
Hehe, I have an amusing story that somewhat relates to this topic.

I went to the US for a week and spent a day in Elementary school and four days in high school. Okay, this is the best part. I'm from England, and the kids at the elementary school knew that. however, one of them asked me,
"What language do speak in England?" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Of course, this can be put down to being young... Now for the shocking part. A day later, in the high school English class I was sitting at one of those one part seat/desks and the guy on my left leans over while the teacher's talking about the book they're studying and says,
"So is English like, like, the primary language in England?" wink

He was what, 16, and he didn't know that we spoke English in England! He wasn't even trying to be funny or anything!

Aw, man, that was both depressing and hilarious at the same time. big grin

But in all fairness, some british accents are sooo thick, they
might as well be another language!

I'm ju' ki'in you mate wink

Trickster
Oh yeah, that makes sense. Still though, can't be total slums if you have access to the internet. I know people who come from third world countries like Haiti or Guatemala, they don't anything like that down there.

No, it's an attempt to get the economies of those countries up and running. By giving people the oppurtunity to train on computers it makes it much much easier for them to get jobs.

Take a look;
http://www.computers4africa.org/

Also, I got 20 out of 20 on that quiz and got this message;
You are clearly an intellectual giant. Or possibly you found a way to cheat. Either way, congratulations.

Afro Cheese
Yeah well you probably answered the questions quicker than me.

Trickster
Meh, they weren't that difficult. I'll admit I had to pause for the Annie Oakley one too - til I realised she was the only woman. wink

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by moviejunkie23
i don't think americans care too much because we aren't like all the other countries that have twenty neighbors and everyone hates eachother. The only problem we have with a country that borders us is Mexico and their legions of economic refugees that flood our welfare lines rofl

You have an impressive understanding of the world for an American. It is likely that you feel intellectually isolated in your home country, and often have to hide your opinions from others. Deep down, you realise that your country is the single biggest threat to world peace in modern times, but you have not yet summoned up the courage to emigrate.

I got 19 / 20.. lol the one I got wrong was the water freezing point.. cuz it wasnt farenheit :/ I forgot that celsius reads lower than farenheit in regards to hot and cold

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Trickster
Meh, they weren't that difficult. I'll admit I had to pause for the Annie Oakley one too - til I realised she was the only woman. wink I also just noticed they give different results depending on whether you say you're American or not. If you don't say you're American, they basically just tell you in one sentence how you did. If you do say you're American, they write you an essay on why you suck, or if you got a good score how you obviously cheated.

Trickster
Yeah, that too.

The quiz was basically to say that Americans are dumb.

I never got that. Why are you guys Americans, not like Statesmen or something? I mean you've taken a continent name. Most others are happy with their countries. Funny thought, really.

Afro Cheese
It's just our subtle way of saying that nobody else on this continent really matters.

debbiejo
I've heard that Canadian kids get confused too. When asked who was running their country, many said The American President. When asked to point out their country on the map, they pointed to the US. Of course I think it's the ones that share or live close to the broadcasting of the US. They see American tv everyday and think it's them. This was told to me by some Canadian friends of mine.

manny321
Thats why its called north America not America. Umm the way i see people in cultural diverse areas know a lot about the world. Ex: Toronto and Vancouver. They don't know geography but they know of different religions and cultures. In some parts of our countries they only see people of other colours on TV. LOL

The funny thing is that 97% know who the president of the USA is in Canada compared to 85% that know Paul Martin is The PM of Canada. Source CBC.
Mostly in high school, guys usally know more about the world then girls. Girls only start caring later on.

manny321
ill bet 99% of high school students can't name the leader of germany or japan. I can't spell his name though schorder or something. My attempt at his firstname would drive the germans here made. I know how to say his name.

Many leaders i don't know thier names buti can idenify them by faces.

Well North AMericans label Europe and Canada with dumb false sterotypes. But we use real or almsot real sterotypes.

moviejunkie23
yea us americans what a bunch of bafoons, all this wealth and prosperity we have over here just fell out of the sky

DarkCrawler
Lol.

I think that leader of Japan is the Emperor Akihirito or something. But im not American. stick out tongue

-Funky Punk-
japans leader-Emperor Akihito

germanys leader--Qadiani/Ahmadiyya or somthing close to that

and i am american.

ash007
ill bet 99% of high school students can't name the leader of germany or japan. I can't spell his name though schorder or something. My attempt at his firstname would drive the germans here made. I know how to say his name.

Many leaders i don't know thier names buti can idenify them by faces.

Well North AMericans label Europe and Canada with dumb false sterotypes. But we use real or almsot real sterotypes.

You are wrong the i spent a Year in a US high school 8 years ago and the student there where really quite bright.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by -Funky Punk-
japans leader-Emperor Akihito

germanys leader--Qadiani/Ahmadiyya or somthing close to that

and i am american.

We all know how to use Google Happy Dance

PVS
wow what a thread...and yeah, this is nonsense in that anyone
can just google for the answer of any geographical trivia.
and i call it trivia beause its trivial.

i was especially amused at the person who quoted a statistic
that 70% of all americans can't locate their own country on a map...
quoted from a website that his sister showed him but he cant remember the link to it....

p.t. barnum said: "there's one born every minute"

lil bitchiness
That is just pushing it - 70% of Americans cant locate America? Its not like America is tiny, and besides, over 70% of Americans get some kind of education, so logically in school one of the first things they will learn is where is America...stoopid statistic, in my opinion.

I think the main point is that many Americans see world through American media - and not a great percentage of Americans travel around the world, compared to those in Europe.

-Funky Punk-
We all know how to use Google Happy Dance

accually i knew it from social studiess class....the one thing i remember i dont even use in ss class i use it on the internet lol

manny321
No people you guys are the smart ones. the one i met i don't want even to start talking about. Yes high school students are relatively bright and and usually more accepting to other types of people. They will be more educated but!!!!!! its know that we less about the world then our European friends. You guys are way smarter people then your average Joe. I have met so many students who think the US is evil. IMO the government is evil the people all alright.
And also moviejunkie that point is so 20 years ago!! It now runs on the low paying unskilled worker and large importing of goods and a large consumption of goods.
High school students aren't all druggies as we all think. I have just been through high school. I see it as 80% of people who fail classes are able to pass that class.

No the chancellor is something Schroeder.

Ill ask the question tomorrow and ill show you the results. High school kids suck at geography and history. I know it but there okay with math and English and such.

manny321
AS i see most of these stereotypes about other countries start when were little kids watching TV. The cartoon shows the African guy acting like a wild man and the french guy is as sissy and the Russian guy is a mean guy. Most outgrow it.

my stereotype against french speaking Canadians is not because of France or the french language. Its just on how their province always wants more and more then wants to separate from us and that drives down the whole economy. So my stereotype of them are money stealing whining sissy's.

Clovie
i hate stereotypes sad

manny321
Trust me look at the history of Canada since the 1965 about English french relations and you will see why i have one stereotype only against this one group.

Clovie
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do

http://www.netcartoon.net/naaas/doquiz.php

not american 20/20
it was easy blink

american 18/20 embarrasment
i didn't know the purpose of apollo and some colonel guy confused

Trust me look at the history of Canada since the 1965 about English french relations and you will see why i have one stereotype only against this one group. i have no idea about canadians of that time confused
but i still hate stereotypes sad

moviejunkie23
stereotypes are dangerous, there can always be one guy in the crowd that is ok

ragesRemorse
The knowledge of Americans is like when a straight A student mixes in the wrong crwod and becomes a pot head. The knowledge is there, its just not being used. Every time a rational idea DOES come through, the media and goverment is there just like the wrong crowd that pours on the peer pressure and sways you to decide in favor of what the other people make you think you want.

manny321
There is a culture of as my friend says Dumbness or idiocy, in young people. Saying something too smart makes you...
A. A nerd/teachers pet
B. A snobby high class person???
C. Mr. High tech words
I get this from my experience in high school not so long ago. There is a culture of dumb in my school. I remember in History there was me and 2 guys who always answered the questions. A lot of the class goes either I don't know! or I forgot my home work or they saw the answer but are shy!

KidRock
That is just pushing it - 70% of Americans cant locate America? Its not like America is tiny, and besides, over 70% of Americans get some kind of education, so logically in school one of the first things they will learn is where is America...stoopid statistic, in my opinion.

I think the main point is that many Americans see world through American media - and not a great percentage of Americans travel around the world, compared to those in Europe.

I agree.. there is no possible way that 70% of americans cant locate America on a map. I just refuse to belive that statistic.

manny321
thats false. It could be 70% can't find france on the map .

PVS
more like 70% of statistics found on the internet are complete bullshit

moviejunkie23
Originally posted by PVS
more like 70% of statistics found on the internet are complete bullshit

i would belive that statement over the 70 percent of americans can't identify america on a map

Red Superfly
There is a culture of as my friend says Dumbness or idiocy, in young people. Saying something too smart makes you...
A. A nerd/teachers pet
B. A snobby high class person???
C. Mr. High tech words
I get this from my experience in high school not so long ago. There is a culture of dumb in my school. I remember in History there was me and 2 guys who always answered the questions. A lot of the class goes either I don't know! or I forgot my home work or they saw the answer but are shy!

That's what it's like over here too.

Because the idiots are usually the popular assholes, anyone that shows to know more than them (ie everyone) gets a dirty look.

If you want to be popular, you have make sacrifices with your brain. Sad fact. Be smart, be hated. Be dumb, be liked.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.