Does Anyone Read Terry Pratchett???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

$¥®€Ñ
I understand that his writing is an acquired taste, but I absolutely adore his style of writing, and I was wondering if any of you like him too, or perhaps don't, and why?

Also, favourite books of his, for those who read his work?

Gotta say mine are Maskerade, & Night Watch.

Phoenix
I love terry pratchett! Have you read any of his recent ones? Wee Free Men is very good, as is Monstrous Regiment ((his latest two))

big gay kirk
Fraid I don't read Terry Pratchett... read his books, though!!! Met the man twice... he's very polite, friendly, and entertaining, and not afraid of hats... I especially like Small Gods... and Mort... and Colour of magic... and ..... (insert title of any Pratchett book here)

shaber
Hey hey, I got my copy of Maskerade signed by the author. stick out tongue

big gay kirk
Terry Pratchett told me I have a real collectors item.... a copy of Mort which he DIDN'T sign!!!

Gregory
I read hiss stuff. His first books are pretty rough around the edges, but he's very funny. I especially likes Interesting Times.

Vampiree
oh god i LOVE terry pratchett!! his sense of humour is just perfect big grin

my fave book i s mort big grinbig grin go, death, go!

i'm really hyper today, excuse me

crazy_c
Terry Pratchett! kicking

Baylin
I haven't read any of his discworld books for a few years but I used to love the ones I've read. I like his other books like Strata and Truckers with the gnomes in! big grin

Line
Read a few of his books, but the only one which really made an impression was Good Omens, which he wrote with Neil Gaiman. That's brilliant.

The Vampinator
I'm reading 'the science of discworld' right now. it ROCKS. I mean... WOW.

o.O

can anyone tell me where can i find Discworld books online?

Syren
eek!

So, I take it he's popular then? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Still loving him over here big grin

Jerico
My favourite has to be the Guards series, Guards! Guards! Nightwatch etc etc. (nightwatch actually had serious bits that made me have feelings and stuff) love the bit where he uses the dragon as a firearm.. hehe.

Yes it's good stuff people. I think Eric/Faust made me laugh the most out of all his though. Actually laughing out loud getting funny looks from poeple laughing.

The Vampinator
Lol i love the Rincewind series he's sucha poor little loser. and Death of course. Actually i liked Mort the most, cuz of Death and ALbert.

rinoa
my fav char has to be nanny ogg she rules i so want to be like that when im old they did a cook book by her which is quite good. The wee free men are also very funny i loved them in lords and ladies. Has anyone read the continuation of wee free men (cant remeber what its called) if so what happens

(edited) Hat full of sky its called

vaya_the_elf
I have only read one book, and the was the last hero. But i got a couple of his books, and they are on my list to read, its just my list is very big.

Vampiree
you'd actually LIKE to be Gytha Ogg? eek! Huge, old anf fat, with only one tooth left, drunk all the time, having dozens of children? HGood luck, mate big grin

I'd love to own Greebo though big grin

Syren
OMG, that cat is amazing!

I'd love to have a pet like him, though, I guess if he heard me call him a pet he'd go all freaky on me confused

Vampiree
Syren.. think about his HUMAN form wink

*cough cough*

Syren
I did whistle

Silly stick out tongue

Vampiree
he's be very.. *cough* useful...

PRATCEHTT WILL BE IN MY TOWN THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW!!! eek!

Vampiree
OMG I TALKED TO PRATCHETT! eek! wheho, he's so awesome!

Lurik
No, I don't actually....
starwarsstarwarsstarwars

Syren
Well, that was pointless roll eyes (sarcastic)

Phoenix
Has anyone read 'A HAtfull of Sky' the latest book? I bought it and read it in the same afternoon, it was great!

Exabyte
I haven't read many books by Pratchett yet, but I absolutely loved them... the best I read so far is definitely "MORT", it's absolutely brilliant yes

Am currently reading the Rincewind series, they're also cool yes

ragesRemorse
I heard this guy his funny. I have been wanting to read one of his books, but never knew which one to start with. What would you guys reccomend as being the first one?

BoomStix
I love his works ! My favorite book would be Mort and Moving Pictures. And I trying to get a copy of hard cover version of Good Omens for so long !

sk3wif
I love Terry Pratchett!!!

My recommendation for a first book to read would be Reaperman.

That book nearly made me wet myself, v funny imo.

Reading feet of clay at the mo, if I had to be a character from his books I think it would be Samual Vimes, he's the daddy.

Vampy
eek! if i had to be one of the characters... i'd SO be Rincewind

Exabyte
I just finished "Pyramids"... absolutely BRILLIANT!!!!! Now I'm reading MacBest.... Lol!! laughing

Elessea
eek! I lovers Pratchett eek! eek!

at the moment...Im reading his "Thief of Time" tis brilliant yes

Corran
Thief of Time is brilliant, but then all of his work is.

Syren
yes

RagesRemorse, the good thing about Pratchett's Discworld series is that you don't have to start with the first book. The characters appear so randomly throughout the series that you'll build an affinity with each and every one of them eventually, regardless of the order of introduction. Personally, I suggest you start with any from the Rincewind Trilogy, Mort, Reaper Man or Going Postal.

a1hsauce
who is this guy, my friends always bring him up when i'm looking for a new book to read.

ChickinMeat
right, i need myself a new book, and ive decided its gonna be a pratchett.

Which books are in the Rincewind series? I want his books, basically because i have played the videogames, so i want his books!

i have a few pratchett, but not sure if there in the rincewind series

Exabyte
The Rincewind series? fx.

The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Soucery
Eric

Sar
I love Terry Pratchett! the quote in my sig is from one of his books (Sourcery). Id have to say the Guards books are my favourites- Jingo was great and The Fifth Elephant.

As for the first you should read- I agree you dont have to read them in any particular order but I think the later ones are more accessible. Once you start reading them though you wont turn back stick out tongue

p.s. Rincewind is also in Interesting Times and The Last Continent

§P0oONY
I haven't read his books since the release of "The Truth", but when i did i really enjoyed a lot of his stuff, humour mixed with fiction, he is a genius

titalice
I haven't read any of his books, I don't really like him either! Sorry people who do like him but I didn't like the way he was when I was getting into the book with Maurice in it with his rats. It's just pretty strange... but I don't know why he's strange so I don't think I can really say I don't like him. Lol. Confusing. The author's I do like though are, J.K ROWLING, Phillip Pullman, Stephen King and J.R.R TOLKEIN! (They're ust a few).

§P0oONY
Originally posted by titalice
I haven't read any of his books, I don't really like him either!

How can you form an opinion him if you have not looked at his work?

It's_Alright
I love Discworld... I've read every Discworld book, and I'm still waiting for more!

Lana
What I've read I've loved...Good Omens is simply hilarious, and last night I bought The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic.

vaya_the_elf
I love Last Hero smile

PinstripePapaya
ive read some of his books (about 7/8 of the dicworld ones) and the trilogy with "johnny and the bomb" etc. I love then because his sense of humour is really similar to mine, they make me laugh soo much.
Ive seen a couple of the books performed as plays as well, which was a amazing - i saw "wyrd sisters" performed at the open air theatre in cornwall, right by the sea! which was soo lush!! im currently working my way through the discworld series n hope to read all of them eventually! big grin

Yumcarrots
I got my boyfriend a signed copy of the new Terry Pratchett book, Wintersmith w00t

Syren
I've read all of the Discworld series and own around 20 of them. I am aiming to own all of them eventually.

Norge
What's Wintersmith like I haven't read it yet?

Damo Iz God
I love this guy and met him last year at witch fest he signed my 'going postal' book... My favourite of his books is Monsterous Regiment.

Bardock42
Started The truth. Didn't seem horrible, but also not especially great. Stopped reading out of..well....boredom I guess...not great, certainly no Douglas Adams....

Syren
The Truth isn't one of the better ones. Trust you to choose badly for your first taste stick out tongue

Try Equal Rites, Feet of Clay, Carpe Jugulum or Night Watch. Monstrous Regiment is also a good one.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Syren
The Truth isn't one of the better ones. Trust you to choose badly for your first taste stick out tongue

Try Equal Rites, Feet of Clay, Carpe Jugulum or Night Watch. Monstrous Regiment is also a good one.

Why can't he just always write good books?

Syren
You're not the type of person I'd want as an avid follower if I were Pratchett. Maybe you shouldn't bother, I'm sure he won't mind smile

Bardock42
You're not the type of person I'd want as an avid follower if I were Pratchett. Maybe you shouldn't bother, I'm sure he won't mind smile

Maybe I won't bother....quite possible. Doesn't seem like there's anything in it for people that like good books.

Syren
Originally posted by Bardock42
Maybe I won't bother....quite possible. Doesn't seem like there's anything in it for people that like good books.

It's all down to personal preference, I've read them and think they're good. You haven't read them and think they're not. Says it all really.

The Pict
I love Terry Pratchett. Night Watch is probably my favourite, I like lots of them though.
However I wasn't that impressed with The Monstrous Regiment.

Bardock42
It's all down to personal preference, I've read them and think they're good. You haven't read them and think they're not. Says it all really.

Just that I actually started one...that you then admitted was bad. I think you are just a fanboy, fangirl. But since I own a second book of his anyways, (Thief of Time or whatever) I shall do more research, although I quite like my time and don't feel the need to waste them on probably bad books. I liked the "De Worde" Character in The truth though..he was cool...sadly all the others sucked...generally. Well...not sucked...but just weren't great. You know who writes good books? Robert Heinlein. You should read them....I should also read more...cause he writes good books. I like him. He is good. So far all of his books I have read have been good, too. I like when an author writes only good books. Then I think he/she (but who am I kidding..there are no good female authors) is a good writer. Not like Terry Pratchett...who also writes bad books...if he even writes good ones.

Norge
Bardock, can I just ask, as you are in Germany do you read German translations or the english versions? Pratchet uses lots of play on words maybe they don't translate or you just don't get the humour if you're reading the english version. Just curious.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Norge
Bardock, can I just ask, as you are in Germany do you read German translations or the english versions? Pratchet uses lots of play on words maybe they don't translate or you just don't get the humour if you're reading the english version. Just curious.
I read the original. But maybe it just lacks humour? Sounds most reasonable to me.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Nah, I don't like Terry Pratchett. He's not that good.

"Oooo, and then as the turtle parachuted down on the back of a watermelon, it had the time to remark, "Well, the weather is always nice on a Tuesday, so maybe I should make some cheese". Later, as the f*cking rain plip-ploped from the sky, a little bird caught a worm, and sent it by Fed Ex to its friend, Tom, who was a Koala."

Usually, it's something like that. Though not quite as good, obviously.

Kid Kurdy
Pratchett is a good writer. Underrated, because it's "only" fantasy. The story lines are better than people think, and he has created some amazing characters.

Personal favorite : Granny Weatherwax

midnightshadow
i really like death he is so cool! your right he is under rated.
his storys are wickedly funny and some of his plots and storylines are ingenius and far better than most of the stuff that is classed as 'literature'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.